CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   New York Accents (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/358813-new-york-accents.html)

Dave the Wave December 19th, 2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Loud people can be annoying irregardless of the accent.

(Wonder what my old High School english teacher thinks about that sentence.) :wink:

Yeah, I don't think irregardless is a word. :-?

Rick December 19th, 2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Loud people can be annoying irregardless of the accent.

(Wonder what my old High School english teacher thinks about that sentence.) :wink:

Yeah, I don't think irregardless is a word. :-?

Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

LOL

rescuedad December 19th, 2008 05:19 PM

I'm not sure "yeah" is a word LOL

JamesRT December 19th, 2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rescuedad
I'm not sure "yeah" is a word LOL

Yeah, for sure! rofl

colorcrazie December 20th, 2008 01:01 PM

James,
Puhleeeze...that is "fer sur".
Marty the linguist

matey December 20th, 2008 01:32 PM

My fave is: "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

Think about the logic. If you Could care less, then you care too much (or at least, you do care). If you Couldn't care less, it means you care so little (or not at all), so that there is not much less that you can care.

Do I make myself clear??????

jacdenv24 December 20th, 2008 05:41 PM

While we're on the subject...and this relates to ships and cruising...when did the word "debark" become acceptable? What happened to "disembark" which would be the obvious opposite to "embark"? "Debark" sounds like a description of peeling bark off of trees rofl

Paul B December 20th, 2008 11:44 PM

How do dedog communicate? Debark. :-P

jacdenv24 December 21st, 2008 09:12 AM

That's an even better translation! LOL

draconis December 21st, 2008 09:23 PM

New Yorkers

Hey Dave I was down in DR a few years back and ran into a bunch of you hotlanta folks 40-50 ish outa shape, loud, none stop partyers. Some people hated them,I had great time with folks.I guess it's all how you look at it.

bigdaddyhd January 5th, 2009 01:52 PM

I have a chicago accent we say things differant on some things,people having a great time is all that matters where ever your from. :D Being nice onboard makes you have a better time.Loudness and lafter mean someones having a great time try it sometime? LOL

hombre January 5th, 2009 03:58 PM

i could care less about accents, only others who judge me by my southern drawl -- assuming i'm about as savvy as elliemae clampett -- or whose accents mask ideas of superiority or some sort of better than thou attitude. i've me a lot of folks with good old alabama accents i'd not like to spend five minutes with; and i've meet just as many from new york i'd rather, and do, avoid. attitude, not accent.

Eskie398 January 11th, 2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B
How do dedog communicate? Debark. :-P

LOL...ROFL LOL

katlady January 11th, 2009 09:55 PM

Like, dude I'm totally from California and I don't have an accent. I'm totally chill with anyone's accent. It's like so cool; you dudes just need to relax man. Hang loose. :wink:

Pocono Pug January 15th, 2009 04:05 PM

accents

Im from New Yawk and I aint got no accent LOL

Manuel January 28th, 2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
CQ welcome back accent and all. Boy would the OP be unhappy on a cruise with us, you have the New York accent and I'm loud. :wink:

I would be very happy to cruise with both of you. Of course I do have a bit of a Portuguese accent.

TM

DayvidB January 29th, 2009 02:45 PM

"Of course I do have a bit of a Portuguese accent"

Thats amazing, I never heard that in your post

katlady January 30th, 2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
CQ welcome back accent and all. Boy would the OP be unhappy on a cruise with us, you have the New York accent and I'm loud. :wink:

I would be very happy to cruise with both of you. Of course I do have a bit of a Portuguese accent.

TM

That would make you easier for me to understand, my dad is original from portugal he came to america at 17 years old. :D

Paul B January 30th, 2009 12:08 PM

David, I love the Scottish accent that I hear in your posts. :-P

hombre January 30th, 2009 01:12 PM

well, portugal; now that draws a line for sure. oh, heavens, no! LOL

Manuel February 1st, 2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hombre
well, portugal; now that draws a line for sure. oh, heavens, no! LOL

:?: :cry:

TM

DayvidB February 2nd, 2009 02:34 PM

Paul B. your confusing, feeling, scentiment, and balls with accent :D But glad you can hear it 8) :D :D :D :D

Manuel February 3rd, 2009 05:01 PM

My father-in-law, who is originaly from Tennessee, now lives in Italy and he speaks Italian with a Southern accent.

TM

Paul B February 3rd, 2009 05:23 PM

Do dogs bark with an accent? Do New York dogs sound more grouchy? :roll: :roll: :roll:

katlady February 3rd, 2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B
Do dogs bark with an accent? Do New York dogs sound more grouchy? :roll: :roll: :roll:

My dog Maggie is to mellow to bark. Hang Loose.

timetocruise February 4th, 2009 01:40 AM

I was born in Brooklyn, NY. I'm very proud of my Brooklyn/NewYork/Long Island accent. Sorry if you're bothered by it, and I hope that we don't have to share a hotub on my next cruise.

Manuel February 4th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timetocruise
I was born in Brooklyn, NY. I'm very proud of my Brooklyn/NewYork/Long Island accent. Sorry if you're bothered by it, and I hope that we don't have to share a hotub on my next cruise.

Personally, I like the New York accent. I also have found New Yorkers to be quite friendly.

TM

timetocruise February 5th, 2009 01:52 AM

Thank you, Manuel. I'm not saying all New Yorkers are friendly, but most of the people I know try their best.

colorcrazie February 5th, 2009 01:43 PM

I have always found New Yorkers to be friendlier than many other places I have been, including my hometown!
And, Katlady, did you mean to say that your dog does not ever get off the ship. I mean, if "de" bark isn't there, what about "de" bite?
Okay, I'll stop now...I'm way too tired to be posting today!
Marty

momofmeg February 18th, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hombre
i could care less about accents, only others who judge me by my southern drawl -- assuming i'm about as savvy as elliemae clampett -- or whose accents mask ideas of superiority or some sort of better than thou attitude. i've me a lot of folks with good old alabama accents i'd not like to spend five minutes with; and i've meet just as many from new york i'd rather, and do, avoid. attitude, not accent.

LOL! I know! Unfortunately, since we have so many people from other areas of the country living in Atlanta now-I get that ALL the time!

but truly the only times it REALLY bothers me is when the other person has a strong accent himself- as I previously posted of the cab driver from Boston or the guy from Oklahoma who made fun of me and who sounded as "hick" as me with his "Okie" twang. LOL!.

For the most part though, I have met many very nice people from all over the world who never made fun of my accent.