Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I think that New Yorkers have such a nice accent. I like it.
It reminds me of a very old cop's show on tv...Cagney and lacey !!
Its still repeated over here in Europe on many TV stations.
Anyhow, back on topic. I enjoy new Yorkers. they have a great city for shopping. Are very helpful and are straight to the point if needed.
Nice
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Yeah, I don't think irregardless is a word.
If a human being utters it and another human being comprehends the meaning, then it is a word by definition.

On the general topic, I disagree that New Yorkers are rude in general. On the contrary, life in a confined space generates good-natured acceptance in my experience. I was born and raised in Tennessee and lived for a few years in NYC. In Tennessee, as was documented in another thread, unauthorized folks tend to park in handicapped spaces. These people will also likely pull a gun on you if you question them. That kind of thing just does not happen in NYC.

Cheers. Aidan
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Admiral

That's because there isn't any place to park in NYC!

Marty, who loves NY and those who live there
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I have always found New Yorkers to be friendlier than many other places I have been, including my hometown!
And, Katlady, did you mean to say that your dog does not ever get off the ship. I mean, if "de" bark isn't there, what about "de" bite?
Okay, I'll stop now...I'm way too tired to be posting today!
Marty

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Why are the gentle people of New Yoik being singled out here, everyone like it or not has an accent when they speak the same language to others and how its then heard by other ears, it will be accented.

This includes my accent, and in some peoples ears it appears even more so “unfriendly” being Scottish. It may sound brash, forthright, menacing or intelligible, but it’s just my accent, it’s no reflection on me as a person.
There is nothing like the reality of the person talking. Problem is when people take those spoken and accent traits into written words and people still do not understand them

For me, I don’t think I reflect in my accent when talking,,, the gentle person that I am. And, you cannot tell me from reading how I write, present or react in written word that my accent or roots when talking to people on places like this can still come across as would my spoken word.
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Admiral

I have not read all of the individual posts but I gotta', I mean I just gotta', respond to the OP's first two posts.

1. I've heard of diggin' a hole 'ol pard'ner, but did you have to start out by using a track-hoe?

2. I grew up in Tennessee, lived for awhile off "Toid Avenue" in Brooklyn and eventually retired back to Tennessee. I love all accents and find humor in many. I'm bothered by loud people people whether they're from New York, Tennessee or Georgia just as I'm bothered by stupidity and ignorance and of those three things, I too have been guilty. I hope young man, you have more smarts than I.

3. I'm sure you're proud of your physique and work hard to retain it, but some of the people you're addressing with your original post, had just as good a one when they were your age. Therefore c'mon back in about thirty years and if you have the same physique, you'll probably be the first.

4. Nobody has ever heard an accent such as the one a good friend of ours has (and to the original poster a woman who, by the way, you would absolutely have drooled over when she was your age and might well still do today). She came to this country from France as a teen aged au pair. Long story short, she married well and educated herself quite well. And her still pronounced French accent enhanced with a southern drawl, often elicits the question, "Just where in the world are you from?" to which she answers, in all honesty because this is what she considers to be her home, "Tennessee!" The reactions of the questioners are priceless.

We'll be, in a little over two months, on our way to our cruise. I reckon' I jest cain't wait to get up yonder where that there big 'ol ship docks....... in New Joisey.

Todd
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Familiar Face

I've read a few od David30101's posts and it appears he just wants to stir things up. Get a life!
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Captain

If another passenger annoys me for any reason, that is my cue to order another fancy drink and go for a stroll.
I wouldn't waste my vacation to just sit and stew.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
If another passenger annoys me for any reason, that is my cue to order another fancy drink and go for a stroll.
I wouldn't waste my vacation to just sit and stew.
Dats right...Just wauk away and fuhgheddaboudit 8)

I'm originally from Brooklyn too

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009