Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
david30101

Default New York Accents

Im not the one to gripe here even though I enjoy reading others..The biggest pet peeve i have is a group or 2-3 middle aged women 50-60 YO with a very strong NEW YORK ACCENT that speek loud enougth for others to hear from a distance..I witnessed this the other day while in the hottub and these women were 20 feet away and talking about how the hang there panties up to dry in the shower and wearing them every day on there balcony..Now remember, Picture in your mind..These are not cute good looking 20 or 30 yos...They are 50-60 out of shape with very bad skin....Old enough to be somebodys grandmothers.
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I guess that everyone has a right to complain about things that displease them, but this seems a deliberate attempt to stir things up. I think that a strong NY accent is perfectly delightful.

Live and let live, and you will live longer!
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
david30101

TRUE..If your from that part of the country...Seems that there are alot of them that live in FLA and go on cruises.. ME? I guess my accent is mixed..Grew up in Maryland..Lived in OKLA City for a few yrs..Then VA,,And now Georgia since 95..Since im a quiet type and dont speak so loud that it annoys others..People from NY seem to be that way at least from my experance of 17 cruises in 10 yrs.
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Loud people can be annoying irregardless of the accent.

(Wonder what my old High School english teacher thinks about that sentence.)

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

"talking about how the hang there panties up to dry in the shower and wearing them every day on there balcony.."

What cruise ship is that, the on balcony in your panties thing, that could be cool ,,,lets hope they at least change them, and lets hope given their size,,,, that a big a gust of wind does not get up or hit the balcony

"Im not the one to gripe here even though I enjoy reading others.."

yeah 8) , but your into big pants, go on admit it
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
david30101

I was on the Independance of the seas last week where I heard the conversation. but they were talking about carnival since the other comment was how they hung them in the shower with the clothesline that retracts. BTW Im not trying to admit that i like "large panties" Its that these women are old enough to be my parents and the conversation to me was the private type and not meant for others to be heard even though they were aware that others were nearby they still insisted to talk about it loud enougth for others around them to hear it. I to like to be on the balcony in my underwear, it least I have the body for it.....Boy this topic has opened a can of worms....BTW..What is with all the old people in the gym?..I saw a woman there in a power chair and a oxygen tank shoved into her nose but is on the leg adduction machine...I think she is a little to late for the gym, dont you think? ..Old people..I mean 70-75-80 trying to use the machines and weights. These people never been to the gym..ever and now they want to ??
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not all people who speak loudly are from New York. Everybody has an "accent" to those from another part of the country. We they only speaking loudly in the hottub? Maybe it was because they thought they couldn't hear each other over the bubbles? Remember, david30101, you too shall some day be 50-60 years old (hopefully)...old enough to be somebody's grandfather!
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: UNDIES!!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101
hang there panties up to dry in the shower and wearing them every day on there balcony..
:o tooooo funny!!! That reminds me of a story OT, once our dryer broke down, I asked DH to plz fix it or atleast look at it. Well days went on and it was SUMMER in GA, he complained, he was out of undies, so i hung them out on the deck to dry. He wore a pair the very next day, he came home and had the worst rash ive ever seen!!! The dryer was fixed the next day!! But i never would of think to hang clothing out on a deck to dry!! My luck they would blow away and its a cruise ship. its not the motel 6 lol...s0s

December 2008 Carnival Freedom
July 2007 Carnival Holiday

Time for another "fix"........
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Admiral

It's southern accents that really get me

No - really I think the volume you described speaks volumes. And some voices just seem to carry - regardless of accent.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

I have a loud voice, as does the rest of my family. My poor hubby used to have to take a headache pill after a family dinner. This is why I don't gossip I can't whisper so I will just have to say it to you face.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Familiar Face

I would find them amusing. What I can't figure out from your post is if they wore them on the balcony, is that all they wore?

We all have accents, even if we think that we don't! And we all find certain accents grating on our nerves. I hear some on TV. I don't know where they are from, but they are horrendous!

As for loud. Anyone can be loud for one reason or another. When it is someone else, it sounds worse! Maybe these ladies were a little hard of hearing. That does come with age, you know!

Are you 45? If so, believe me time has a way of flying. Who knows what you will be like???????
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i like New York accents, they rock. obnoxiously, no, but in general, i am a fan.

i am Southern. and dang proud of my accent. i am not obnoxious or redneck but am clearly a Southern girl. and everyone i have met on a ship loves it as well

as far as older people in the gym, at least they are in there and active. studies show the more active the elderly the better bone density, longer life, better quality of life, better health they will possess. regardless if they are hauling around an O2 tank or not, at least they aren't just lying around doing nothing like some 20, 30, 40 year olds i know.

the less active, the sicker someone gets/can become. when our surgery patients come to the floor, so as long as they aren't a heart patient or ICU/StepDown, the surgeons want them out of bed that night because just laying around can wreak so much havoc on the body. kudos to those kicking it in the gym instead of being lazy! i hope and pray i can be that active at that age.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

OH MY....
I'm from NY, ocassionally speak loudly, and I'm 60+ and far from thin. And I really don't like gentlemen (roughly speaking) who critisize and find fault with all things that don't exactly fit into his idea of perfect. As for the older person with Oxygen and the wheel chair, perhaps she enjoys using the machines and really doesn't care if you like it or not.

You've now had your 15 minutes of fame at the expense of these people so why not just crawl back to where ever it is you don't gripe from and stay there.

Carnival Glory
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you want to hear a wierd accent... I'm from New York and live in Alabama. Mix those two and I do get quite a few "Where you from"?

It's simple, if you don't like someone's accent, you've got issues. Move somewhere else and quit eavesdropping.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Tweety, you are one fine little bird! I salute you.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default green_rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
It's southern accents that really get me
How do southern accents "get" you? I'll bet all warm and cozy inside!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cuticat and everyone else with an "accent"

You should be dang proud of your roots. Also, very kind words for the older crowd in the gym - how true!

Tweety, very well said.

David30101 - whooooweee, did you stir up a hornets nest, son!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

thank you
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: New York Accents

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101
Im not the one to gripe here even though I enjoy reading others..The biggest pet peeve i have is a group or 2-3 middle aged women 50-60 YO with a very strong NEW YORK ACCENT that speek loud enougth for others to hear from a distance..I witnessed this the other day while in the hottub and these women were 20 feet away and talking about how the hang there panties up to dry in the shower and wearing them every day on there balcony..Now remember, Picture in your mind..These are not cute good looking 20 or 30 yos...They are 50-60 out of shape with very bad skin....Old enough to be somebodys grandmothers.
You know I am not bothered by people's accents-UNLESS they want to make fun of my strong southern "country hick" accent-and their's is just as strong- for ex.- once a Boston cab driver made fun of me and you should have heard him. !

But speaking too loudly is a differant story-no matter the accent-that is not being considerate of the people around you.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Admiral

I have a New York accent. But I'm not loud. I don't think I'm loud.

Like the above poster said maybe the gals in the hottub had a hard time hearing each other with the bubbles and others also talking.

As for the old people in the gym and drying their panties on the balcony I could not care less. Have fun enjoy your cruise. 8)

I have not been in Griperville for a long time. Hope all my favorite Gripers are doing well!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Admiral

CQ welcome back accent and all. Boy would the OP be unhappy on a cruise with us, you have the New York accent and I'm loud.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Kat, to add to your post I am old and use the exercise room.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
kookylabooka

[quote="david30101People from NY seem to be that way at least from my experance of 17 cruises in 10 yrs.[/quote]

My entire family is from NYC and we are NOT that way.What if I was to label you just because you live in the South ? Regarding your comments about yours and other peoples bodies which cover of GQ are you on ?
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

CutieCat,
You are as beautiful on the inside as out. I loved your post and your attitude.
Cheers!
Marty
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I saw a woman there in a power chair and a oxygen tank shoved into her nose but is on the leg adduction machine...I think she is a little to late for the gym, dont you think? ..Old people..I mean 70-75-80 trying to use the machines and weights. These people never been to the gym..ever and now they want to ??
Yeah...because it's not at all possible that that little old lady is trying to stave off some degenerative disease through physical exercise. All old people should just lie down and die, cuz they like totally get in the way.

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
Kat, to add to your post I am old and use the exercise room.
Paul you are a blast you can come along. You have cruised with me before so you know I'm loud. However, I'm not as loud as my Crazysis.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In my years of travel I have found that people who are less traveled and/or narrow minded are usually the ones who make fun of, or are bothered by, someone else's accent.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Yeoman

Default Accents

I love all accents! It takes me to a place I've never been.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Just try not to be on the other side of it, the alien. It does not work in that scenario.

Been there, hello I am speaking, but they laugh

Been called everything from cute to hearing about someones GGG Grandfather that happened to come from my country,,so they are like me

Whatever,,,, because some cannot open their ears and listen, its actually quite degrading to the other person, but seems fun to them or an experience, yip it is an experience and it goes both ways

Me, I dont talk to them again as they put in NO effort to understand or communicate, why should it always be me that has to change how expectation expects communication, americans are bad, but the english are even worse. Both share a certain arrogance when talking to others in the same language

OPEN YOUR EARS and make the effort to understand
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Davyd,
I worked with someone years ago who was from Scotland. We became friends and he invited a few of us friendly co-workers to a party to meet his family, who were here on vacation. Now, I had never had a problem understanding this guy, but around his family, his accent became so heavy that, try as hard as I could, I did not understand more than an occasional word here and there. But, I also ran into that once with someone from the deep South (US). I'm usually quite good at adjusting my ears, but somtimes, it just can't be done. We all speak differently and I think that it is simply a matter of practicality to adjust to whatever the dominate language or accent is in a given situation. I did not expect his family to change their way of speaking, but neither did he expect all of us at work to change to his way. As far as someone saying you sounded like a relative from the "old" country, maybe they were just trying to find a way to relate to you.
Bagpipe salute,
Marty
P.S. Living in a town with heavy Scottish influence, I have heard bagpipes played both horribly and beautifully. The one thing that did not work for me was a Christmas parade a few years back, where the local bagpipe brigade was playing Jingle Bells. Just did not go together!
P.S.S. I am heavily Scottish descent, so no prejudice implied here at all!