Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Wow this is a horrible sentence.
Quote:
Hi Rick the "probably" was a directly quote from the report. My guess is they can't be 100% certain, but at pretty sure in order to include it in the report.
Do over: Hi Rick the "probably" was a direct quote from the report. My guess is they can't be a 100% certain, but are pretty sure in order to include it in the report. I feel better now. Man I need a copywriter.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
My balcony neighboors on the Gem. Once they got "smoke" in Lisbon they quieted down .

http://travel.webshots.com/video/302...59187889DRnjfI
So my only question is: Do you like Court TV or Judge Judy better? Man if your neighbors were going to talk that loud they should talk about something interesting or just have s*x.

...Ok, I haven't gone on my first cruise yet but really everyone has a right to use their balcony and did you just object to their boring conversation? Why not try to strike up a conversation with your neighbors? Then maybe you can politely ask them to tone it down a little. Or maybe someone in their party is hard of hearing and they have to talk louder?

Just my 2 cents.

Ramona
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Back to the original post. Green. we've had a balcony/verandah on at least 6 cruises now including three very long ones. Never had anything even resembling your problem... must be a 'Carnival' thing.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Aaaargh! Here we go again. If something bad or tacky happens, it "MUST BE" a Carnival thing. Try a recent Carnival cruise, instead of continuing to propagate old stereotypes.
Marty
wondering if there is a cruise line equivalent for racism/sexism, etc.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Admiral

OOOOH, sorry if I touched a nerve.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Colorcrazie,
It's just that we've never encountered the type of boorish conduct complained of by the original poster, and some of the others on the various lines we have been on. No drunks, no loud lovemaking in the day time etc. I think Carnival caters to -- and attracts a younger more boisterous crowd. That's not what I am looking for in a cruise. That hardly makes me a bigot, or whatever you were suggesting I was. You are free to disagree. You have your preferences, we have ours.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Weather young or old there is a time and place for every thing, drinking - smoking - being loud - even sex. But you should always resepect others around you, when doing any of the above on the balcony, in your cabin or where ever you want.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Exactly bentnail

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

RichStacy,
I have no problem with you or anyone preferring other lines. I just object to any kind of generalized negative comments about anything, be it cruise lines or people. And, while I have sailed on many different lines, I have rarely seen any difference in overall behavior. I was on one Carnival cruise that did seem to be a low class crowd, but most of the time, there is little, if any, difference. Average age on Carnival is now somewhere around 45.
Back when they were uber-cheap, they did attract a younger crowd and it was a LOT rowdier. In fact, I refused to sail on them for a long time. But, now they are totally mainstream. And, I have to question generalized negatives if the person hasn't been on a given cruise line recently.
The worst cruise I have ever been on, hands down, was on Princess. So bad that my hubby refuses to go on them again. And, I agree with him. But, at least I recognize that it was just one cruise and hence does not necessarily represent all Princess cruises.
Marty
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Admiral

First you say:
"I just object to any kind of generalized negative comments about anything, be it cruise lines or people."

Then:

"The worst cruise I have ever been on, hands down, was on Princess. So bad that my hubby refuses to go on them again. And, I agree with him."

8)

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Oddly enough I had a problem with a table mate on Celebrity not Carnival. I agree with Colorcrazie unless you have cruised Carnival recently then how can you say "must be a 'Carnival' thing." In fact Shoreguy had a problem on NCL Jewel. So it's the not the cruise line any cruise line can sell to a person who is rude or low class.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Thank you, Katlady!
And, Richstacy, I was stating our experience on Prindess and our reaction based on that actual experience. I did not, and will not, generalize that to say that all Princess cruises are bad. I know that isn't true. But, you don't have a single Carnival cruise listed in your profile, which leads me to believe that you don't have any personal experience with them.
Okay, guys, I promise not to post anymore on this topic.
Marty
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Suffice it to say, I didn't malign Carnival (which we have never cruised, because they DO in fact cater to a younger more boisterous crowd, check out the TV ads) nearly as badly as you maligned Princess.

To each his own Marty. Happy future cruising.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Suffice it to say, I didn't malign Carnival (which we have never cruised, because they DO in fact cater to a younger more boisterous crowd, check out the TV ads) nearly as badly as you maligned Princess.

To each his own Marty. Happy future cruising.
Here is one thing I agree with. I think is true is that each cruise line caters to a different type of cruiser. If you pick the wrong line it won't suit you.

I would not cruise Disney and I don't need to cruise it to know it caters to families with young children. This is the wrong line for me. However, I did cruise Celebrity and it catered to an older (senior level) crowd and the cruise experience was centered on relaxing and shopping. Carnival is more focused and activities and parties (they had two deck parties on my last cruise). This style suits me more then Celebrity so I won't cruise Celebrity again.

However, that said my hubby and I never encountered the type of boorish conduct complained of by the original poster (OP). We have taken many cruises on Carnival. It's just bad luck for the OP that they were stuck with these people next to them.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

To the OP, I would like to formally apologize for the "loud sex" on the balcony adjoining yours. I will in the future keep my dirty deeds to the public decks and restrooms between the hours of 3-5 am.

That is all...
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston
To the OP, I would like to formally apologize for the "loud sex" on the balcony adjoining yours. I will in the future keep my dirty deeds to the public decks and restrooms between the hours of 3-5 am.

That is all...
When and what ship are you cruising next? I have my video camera.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Passenger

I started this thread, and I haven't been following it lately, but I just wanted to comment on the other posts. I don't mind if my neighbors are out on their balconies when we are, and I don't really care what they do, as long as they aren't loud and disruptive. If someone comes out with a boombox or is drinking and gets loud, they become an annoyance to other passengers.

As far as having sex on the balcony, nightime or while your neighbors are at dinner is a much better choice than right after lunch. You can't expect your neighbors to stay inside because you are "using" the balcony, and it would be embarassing to be doing it with your neighbors only a few feet away on their balcony, so just pick a time when your neighbors are unlikely to be out.
[link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/vc/][image noborder]http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/99/200811291600_14.gif[/image][/link][link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/search/hotels/Nevis/Condos/]Nevis Condos[/link]
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green
I started this thread, and I haven't been following it lately, but I just wanted to comment on the other posts. I don't mind if my neighbors are out on their balconies when we are, and I don't really care what they do, as long as they aren't loud and disruptive. If someone comes out with a boombox or is drinking and gets loud, they become an annoyance to other passengers.

As far as having sex on the balcony, nightime or while your neighbors are at dinner is a much better choice than right after lunch. You can't expect your neighbors to stay inside because you are "using" the balcony, and it would be embarassing to be doing it with your neighbors only a few feet away on their balcony, so just pick a time when your neighbors are unlikely to be out.
Green. I agree with you totally. While we have enjoyed many cruises we have only had a couple of cruises with bad balcony neighbours. One was a cigar smoker, who sent my husbands asthma completely wild, the other was with a couple who could not hold their liquor and if one was puking in the bathroom the other used the side of the balcony. While they had every right to enjoy their balconies, it did impact our ability to enjoy theirs. Don't worry it's not always like this, next time you'll probably have the best neighbours ever and despite any comments to the contrary, bad neighbours happen on all cruise lines.
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Passenger

2Littletime, your neighbor puking over the balcony.........not a pretty picture! It's too bad some people don't know when to stop, and that might be more common on Carnival than some of the other lines. I'm not trying to sound better than others, because I'm not, but I don't miss those days of binge drinking. About the most I have these days is a glass of wine or two, but that isn't even very often.
[link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/vc/][image noborder]http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/99/200811291600_14.gif[/image][/link][link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/search/hotels/Nevis/Condos/]Nevis Condos[/link]
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival Cruise Lines caters to a younger crowd. Just look at thier advertising, "The Fun Cruise". Look at the tv spots. Lots of younger people partying. Lets face it, the college age crowd tend to be a bit louder, a bit bolder and a bit crazier.

That's not a bad thing or meant as a slight. We were all young at one time. Now, I at least, am older, more mature, with children (one in college) and I'm looking for something a bit more sedate.

People having sex on the balcony may be okay when one is 25, however, I really can't see the wife and I doing the deed while hanging over a railing on a cruise ship! We just aren't that flexible anymore.

Also, here is another fact. CCL tends to have many cruises that are less expensive than other cruise lines. To be fair, they also have some cruises that are comparable in price to DCL, RCCL or Hal and the like, but most are significantly cheaper.

What does that impy? Well, the younger, less affluent are going to tend to flock to Carnival. Again, this is not to say these people are evil or something. It's just the younger crowd tends to be rowdier.
Disney Wonder October 2009
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Admiral

The binge drinking College kids are mostly on cruises shorter than 7 days or on spring break. I don't cruise at spring break and I now like cruises 7 days or longer. So the binge drinking is not an issue on my cruises. 2Littletime that is a bummer having the neighbor puking on his balcony. Was this a shorter cruise?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
First Mate

I really enjoy having a balcony but it wouldn't break my heart to go to an outside. I wish that all cruiselines would ban smoking in cabins though. It really smells and the risk of fire is strong with people smoking in bed.
I've noticed it in the hallways. Hey, as long as it's legal, I feel people have a right to do it but I'd prefer they smoked in other designated areas.
I'd like it if it was banned from cabin areas.
Every hotel I stay in nowadays is non-smoking and that even includes the grounds sometimes!
It's the way it is.
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Can't help myself here. I find it ridiculous and rather funny that people think that what they see in an advertisement on TV has anything to do with reality.

Marty
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Can't help myself here. I find it ridiculous and rather funny that people think that what they see in an advertisement on TV has anything to do with reality.

Marty
Well some people may think it is reality - but it does reflect who a cruise line wants to attract. They want you to "see yourself" in that commercial. If you want families, put kids in your commercial.

The thing that really concerns me in this thread is the passenger hurling over the side of the ship. I'd hate to be enjoying my balcony below them and receive that baptism

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Marty
Are you trying to tell me the people in the magic box aren't real.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

I am so sorry, katlady. I did not mean to impact your belief system!

Marty
But, while I do understand that ad's indicate the group a line wants to attract, it does not indicate who actually books. Trust me, I look nothing like the people in any of the cruise line ad's.
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I am so sorry, katlady. I did not mean to impact your belief system!

Marty
But, while I do understand that ad's indicate the group a line wants to attract, it does not indicate who actually books. Trust me, I look nothing like the people in any of the cruise line ad's.
It is quite a shock the next thing you will tell me is there is NO easter bunny.

For the record I look exactly like the women in those ads.......stupid mirror keeps trying to confuse me I refuse to beleive it..

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Admiral

The bunny is real, so no worries!
And, my stupid mirror keeps getting worse and worse over time. I think it may have Ahlzheimer's. It cannot remember what I REALLY look like!
Marty
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, Marty, advertisements are meant to draw the attention of certain people. Toy ads show children playing with toys. Blue jean commercials show young people wearing jeans. Not 70 year old men. Likewise, a commercial advertising high end suits show middle aged gentlemen, not 10 year olds. Sure, all the actors in the commercials are svelt and beautiful which is certainly not reality, but the general audience is still represented.

Same goes for cruise line commercials. DCL usually shows families with younger children, perhaps grand parents. Thier commercials don't show single young men hitting the night clubs, right? NCL usually show middle aged couples, not families. It seems the commercials are trying to attract certain people, at least to me.

So when I see Carnival Commercials showing younger people in thier twenties, drinking, dancing to hip hop, and the like, I assume the cruise line is trying to attract that type of person. Let's face it, advertisement works. That's why industries pay millions of dollars for one thirty second tv slot. At those prices, they must take a lot of time and effort to make sure they are getting to the people they desire.
Disney Wonder October 2009
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Okay let's take a look see at some Carnival Commericals.

What crowd is this commerical aimed at? I can't find the drunk 20 year old college kids here.

Maybe this ad.

Nope, I'm not sure what the point of that commerical was.

This is the commerical with the drunk 20 old years I know it is.

Nope not in that one either. Maybe it's an older commerical from 1992

AHHHHHH Kathy Lee my eyes!! my eyes!!! Make it stop. I'm afraid to look anymore you guys look. Okay where is this commerical with the college kids on spring break?? I can't find it anywhere. In fact the newest commericals have a guy sniffing around say ah new ship smell.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994