CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Balconies / Verandas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/359092-balconies-verandas.html)

green December 11th, 2008 06:51 PM

Balconies / Verandas
 
My wife and I just returned last weekend from our second cruise. We sailed on the Carnival Liberty to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We had a very nice time, although I think that our first cruise on the Holland-America Veendam was a little better. We got a great deal on Carnival, though, and I would consider it for our next cruise. On Holland-America, we had an ocean-view cabin, which was nice, but we decided to try a balcony cabin this time because it didn't cost much more than the ocean-view.

The cabin and the balcony were very nice. It was very peaceful and relaxing to sit out there, either with or without my wife, and both at night and during the day. However, your enjoyment of the balcony does depend on who you have as neighbors. I met our neighbors on one side, and they seemed friendly at first, and we even had some things in common, but they got a little unfriendly after a while. It got so that they wouldn't come out on their balcony if we were out on our balcony and seemed a bit annoyed by our being out there. I guess what bugs me the most about them is that they expected that everyone should defer to their desire to use their balcony.

We had a different problem with our other neighbors, a young black couple. We never saw them, but we could definitely hear them talking and laughing when they used their balcony. They didn't seem to care if we were out on our balcony, but when they came out, I had to go in because they ruined the mood. This wasn't the worst of it, though. On one occasion (that we know of), they were even having loud sex on their balcony during the daytime!!

Some other neighbor problems that I have heard of people having are loud, drunken neighbors; cigarette or cigar smoke from neighbor's balconies coming into yours, and neighbors who sit on their balconies and yak on a cellphone.

One note: The balconies are not completely private. During the daytime or if your neighbor's lights are on, your neighbors may be able to see your reflection in the glass under the railing. I wasn't overly concerned about this, but this is just an FYI.

I would get a balcony again if the price was right, but it isn't essential, and your enjoyment of it depends on who your neighbors are. Actually, if I hadn't had a balcony, I probably would have done some of the activities that I didn't get a chance to do, since I did spend a fair amount of time sitting on the balcony.

Paul B December 11th, 2008 10:31 PM

I believe and hope that you were just unlucky. We have had a balcony cabin on many cruises and have never been bothered by smoke or any kind of noise. Most of the time, if there was anybody there, we didn't even know it. I hope that your next balcony is better.

DayvidB December 14th, 2008 03:42 PM

Actually Paul, what is this about?

Having a balcony cabin for me allows me to breath fresh air when in my cabin, that’s number one

And number two, I can stand at the rail and watch the sea go past.

Number three I can smoke out there, maybe that should be number one.

But the scenario presented by green :shock: ,,mmm

Not saying Green was wrong and it was a great post, my problem is with those on either side, those that thought they had something "exclusive" or "special" because they had “booked” a balcony cabin,,, it then gave them some sort of "rights",,,,,get a life. :twisted:

Just as bad as those that payed for the luxury of a suite, but think because they have a suite, it gives them some sort of right,,,NO you bought the room not the rest of the ship and the other passengers :twisted:

It all goes back to them and the age old gripe on cruising when people meet,,,,, "because I have spent my money to be here" Then I can do, think or act in a way that makes me a complete ahole to others and I don’t care. And those people we seem to see more and more and with this persona of….. we might share this cruise, but we are different and expect something else and will do what we like…… and that is bulk cruising today, sadly we see them more and more

Balconies are brilliant, sadly the neighbours you cannot pick. And green, I would never be put off standing on MY balcony because it may or not upset someone else, if you do you’ve just been bullied, and on your vacation :shock:

Turn it, tell them they are spoiling YOUR vacation, as they have no God given right to act in this way, balcony or not, and that statement takes into account all the others that dont see or care that their actions on a ship can affect others

spencercoop December 14th, 2008 05:05 PM

I have never had any problems with balconies.

green_rd December 14th, 2008 09:21 PM

Apparently OP's amorous neighbors thought they had a little more privacy than they actually had. It's a shame that you didn't have have the opportunity to let them know they were not alone - or maybe they didn't care :twisted:

arwenmark December 18th, 2008 07:38 PM

I disagree on the Suite comment. That is true up to a point but on many lines suite passengers do have additional rights and priviledges that they are in fact paying for and yet I see countless threads on boards like this condeming them for their priority boarding or tendering or disembarking etc.
Now the balcony thing I agree while I hate that smokers are out there they paid too. I probably will cruise Celebrity more in the future though now that they have made all cabins and balconies non smoking. To me that would be very worth it. even though there are some other things about Celebrity I am not as fond of.
sorry only balconies was supposed to be bold.

DayvidB December 19th, 2008 03:12 PM

In my defence I was talking about my "experienced" arrogance of some that think that because they have a suite, that they can go to the front of a buffet Q, or the line waiting to get into the dining room for early or late sitting.

The rest I accept regarding getting off ship and “whatever” as they paid for it. I have to admit not all people are the same, just some that I have experienced that have this attitude, we paid, we have rights over the rest of you…..mmm.nope

In common shared areas, you must admit that that’s not right.or a way to think, because you paid for a more expensive cabin

God help the one that pushes in front of me because they have a suite :D

And can I say this is not jealousy, I would not take a suite and all the "bollocks" that goes with it, even if they paid me. I go on vacation to relax, I just don’t see the relaxation in having a “stranger” always or nearly always there in your vacation trying to do what THEY think will make you happy.

draconis December 21st, 2008 10:49 PM

Balconies
 
Well if you didn't want to see or hear any one you might think about not getting on a ship with 2500 other people,or you could have just asked them to keep it down or asked them to hang out

winecountrygirl January 1st, 2009 11:58 PM

We were on the Vision in November and we had a balcony. My husband and I have decided that we won't cruise without one. It makes the room feel larger and not so claustrophobic - plus, we spent some really nice times out there watching the sea go by and the sun go down. Even saw a whale!

Now, I believe we were in a nonsmoking area, so didn't have to deal with that. And it's really hard to converse with neighbors, but we did peek around a couple of times to chat and it was nice.

The lovemaking noises you mentioned made me giggle! We heard lots of that - from other decks and through the walls. We thought it was funny.

But we really cracked up when we found out on the last day that there was a huge group of swingers on our ship! LOL

Ron n Jon January 2nd, 2009 11:50 AM

The cruise lines are no fools when they upgrade someone from an outside to a balcony. Once you have enjoyed the freedom of the space you never want to go back to anything less. Yes, unfortunately there can be terrible neighbours such as Typhoid Floyd with his constant hacking but all said, there is nothing like the open air space of a balcony....unless...

On our last cruise we were invited by tablemates to their suite. They had been upgraded from a balcony to a suite for the first 12-day segment of the journey. To experience the space and luxury is overwhelming. We know we will never be in a position to occupy a suite but we really felt for these mates who, for the second segment of the cruise had to go back to their lowly balcony. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Dave'sGirl January 2nd, 2009 11:46 PM

We had a balcony on our last cruise and I don't think we'll bother with another one until smoking is banned on balconies. I don't begrudge smokers their place to smoke, but I couldn't use the balcony that I paid so much to have because of the awful smell out there. We had neighbors who smoked really obnoxious cigarettes and some another neighbor who smoked a pipe. Between the two, it was nauseating. For us, it will be cheap inside cabins until the smoking ban becomes a little more comprehensive.

As for noisy neighbors...I think that really is the luck of the draw. To the OP, did you notice your neighbors didn't like it when you were on your balcony and you didn't like it when your other neighbors were on theirs? We still tried to use our balcony and were able to grab a few minutes here and there. It was always quiet when we did. When the smoke came out, sometimes so did the noise. Sometimes not. Your next cruise may find you with a whole different surrounding dynamic.

Paul Motter January 3rd, 2009 11:29 AM

I personally think balconies are like back yards - people have a right to use them at a reasonable volume level. You can't do obscene things out there (I have heard in some states you can walk around naked as long as you are on your private property, but I think this is different).

As for smoking, most ships have outruled it even on balconies for safety reasons. It was a dropped ciggarette that started the Star Princess fire where a person died.

These days most smoking is limited to certain public places.

TravelMike January 3rd, 2009 01:19 PM

Paul, I hope you are wrong. Carole smokes and I don,t . If the cruise lines make ships non smoking my cruising days are over. I will miss. I doubt it will happen. They will continue to restrict smoking until it cost them money. Mike

katlady January 3rd, 2009 01:35 PM

Here is the strange part, the Star Princess did catch fire because of a cigarette. However, according to Princess cruise lines smoking is still allowed on balconies. Here is from the website http://www.princess.com/learn/answer...leave/care.jsp:
Quote:

Smoking is not allowed in the dining rooms, or any other food service area, or in the show lounges and theaters. Smoking is permitted in staterooms, stateroom balconies, and designated areas. As a courtesy to your fellow passengers, please refrain from smoking pipes and cigars in all public rooms.

Bentnail January 3rd, 2009 01:48 PM

I am suprised they still allow smoking in the staterooms, with the smoke alarms in there and the chance of someone smoking in bed. I don't think the cruise line will go non smoking too many people smoke.

DayvidB January 3rd, 2009 09:08 PM

They will totally ban smoking in about 25 years time when those of us that do it now are dead and it will no longer affect their potential bookings or income.

Until then they have to provide a means of doing it, given the age, the lifestyle and a lot of people that still cruise.

But thats short term

shoreguy January 3rd, 2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I personally think balconies are like back yards - people have a right to use them at a reasonable volume level. You can't do obscene things out there (I have heard in some states you can walk around naked as long as you are on your private property, but I think this is different).

As for smoking, most ships have outruled it even on balconies for safety reasons. It was a dropped ciggarette that started the Star Princess fire where a person died.

These days most smoking is limited to certain public places.

Paul I almost never disaggree with you but the fact is MOST have not banned smoking on balconies. Thank god.

shoreguy January 3rd, 2009 09:46 PM

My balcony neighboors on the Gem. Once they got "smoke" in Lisbon they quieted down . :-?

http://travel.webshots.com/video/302...59187889DRnjfI

katlady January 4th, 2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoreguy
My balcony neighboors on the Gem. Once they got "smoke" in Lisbon they quieted down . :-?

http://travel.webshots.com/video/302...59187889DRnjfI

So my only question is: Do you like Court TV or Judge Judy better? Man if your neighbors were going to talk that loud they should talk about something interesting or just have s*x. :wink:

Ron n Jon January 4th, 2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Here is the strange part, the Star Princess did catch fire because of a cigarette. However, according to Princess cruise lines smoking is still allowed on balconies.

We noted the new installation of overhead sprinklers on the balcony of the Royal Princess. We bet most if not all of the fleet are so affixed right now. Hence the permission to smoke on the balcony.

Rick January 4th, 2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Here is the strange part, the Star Princess did catch fire because of a cigarette. However, according to Princess cruise lines smoking is still allowed on balconies. Here is from the website http://www.princess.com/learn/answer...leave/care.jsp:
Quote:

Smoking is not allowed in the dining rooms, or any other food service area, or in the show lounges and theaters. Smoking is permitted in staterooms, stateroom balconies, and designated areas. As a courtesy to your fellow passengers, please refrain from smoking pipes and cigars in all public rooms.

A cigarette caused the fire? Was that the finding of the investigation? Could you please provide a link for that final determination? Thanks!

katlady January 5th, 2009 04:07 AM

Okay. Here is a news article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11975460/
Here is a link to the 62 page report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch UK.
http://www.shipdetective.com/advice/...Princess89.pdf
Page 11 of the report.
Quote:

The fire started on an external stateroom balcony sited on deck 10 in the centre of main vertical zone 3, on the vessel’s port side. It was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end heating combustible materials on a balcony, which smouldered for about 20 minutes before flames developed. Once established, the fire spread rapidly along adjacent balconies and, assisted by a strong wind over the deck, it spread up to decks 11 &12 and onto stateroom balconies in fire zones 3 and 4 within 6 minutes. After a further 24 minutes, it had spread to zone 5. The fire also spread into the staterooms as the heat of the fire shattered the glass in stateroom balcony doors, but was contained by each stateroom’s fixed fire-smothering system, the restricted combustibility of their contents, and their thermal boundaries. As the fire progressed, large amounts of dense black smoke were generated from the combustible materials on the balconies, and the balcony partitions. This smoke entered the adjacent staterooms and alleyways, and hampered the evacuation of the passengers, particularly on deck 12. One passenger died as a result of smoke inhalation, and 13 others were treated for the effects of the smoke.

Mike M January 5th, 2009 10:11 AM

A cigarette was probably the culprit and source of ignition. The "fuel" for the fire were "clothing" and towels left on the balcony. I can't understand why people need to use the balcony as a clothesline or decorate it like a trailer in a campsite.

Also: If the balcony doors were not shut the fire would have spread much faster and increased the number of injured. It takes some time for the glass to break on a balcony door.

Take care,
Mike

winecountrygirl January 5th, 2009 06:38 PM

Shore Guy - Oh you poor thing! They were not only loud but sort of obnoxious too! I hope they didn't spend too much time on their balcony!

Rick January 5th, 2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Okay. Here is a news article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11975460/
Here is a link to the 62 page report by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch UK.
http://www.shipdetective.com/advice/...Princess89.pdf
Page 11 of the report.
Quote:

The fire started on an external stateroom balcony sited on deck 10 in the centre of main vertical zone 3, on the vessel’s port side. It was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end heating combustible materials on a balcony, which smouldered for about 20 minutes before flames developed. Once established, the fire spread rapidly along adjacent balconies and, assisted by a strong wind over the deck, it spread up to decks 11 &12 and onto stateroom balconies in fire zones 3 and 4 within 6 minutes. After a further 24 minutes, it had spread to zone 5. The fire also spread into the staterooms as the heat of the fire shattered the glass in stateroom balcony doors, but was contained by each stateroom’s fixed fire-smothering system, the restricted combustibility of their contents, and their thermal boundaries. As the fire progressed, large amounts of dense black smoke were generated from the combustible materials on the balconies, and the balcony partitions. This smoke entered the adjacent staterooms and alleyways, and hampered the evacuation of the passengers, particularly on deck 12. One passenger died as a result of smoke inhalation, and 13 others were treated for the effects of the smoke.

Thanks! I read the Marine Accident Investigation report. Sorry, but would not waste a second of my time to read a report by MSNBC :roll:

Also thank you for using the word "probably" now :)

The Marine investigation report was worth the read. Although the Investigation could not say for sure that a cigarette caused the fire, I would hope that smokers DO NOT throw cigarettes off the side of the ship :evil:

Bentnail January 5th, 2009 08:58 PM

I seem to remember a cruise ship fire a while back, I think it was at the rear of the ship the engine room or some place like that. Don't remember which line or when maybe it could have been this one.
The mind isn't as good as it use to be, of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most.

jess'smom January 5th, 2009 09:03 PM

no smoking on Celebrity verandas
 
Here is the information from the Celebrity website:

For all Celebrity ships, smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom or on any stateroom veranda. Cigarette smoking will only be permitted in designated indoor and outdoor areas of the ship, while cigar and pipe smoking will only be permitted in designated outdoor areas. Smoking will not be permitted in any dining venue, casino, theater, hallway, elevator or corridor. Violations to this smoking policy will result in a $250 cleaning fee being charged to the guest's onboard account and may also be addressed through Celebrity Cruises' Guest Conduct Policy. Cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco must be properly disposed of and never thrown overboard. A guest must be at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess or use tobacco onboard.

Additionally, there is a non-smoking policy on all components of the land tour portion of all Celebrity Cruises cruisetour products. We appreciate your understanding and adherence.

I was glad to read this as I am one of those reformed nonsmokers (who had smoked for 23 years before quitting)

katlady January 5th, 2009 10:04 PM

Hi Rick the "probably" was a directly quote from the report. My guess is they can't be 100% certain, but at pretty sure in order to include it in the report.

Some people are not careful or don't realize what could happen. Sounds to me like this person was a slob and lazy. He/she left their stuff on the balcony and were to lazy to get an ashtray. The result is a man loss his life. For certain most smokers are careful and would not act this way. Sadly it only takes one, which is way the cruise line should have had the sprinkler system on the balconies at the time of this fire.

Rick January 5th, 2009 10:08 PM

Re: no smoking on Celebrity verandas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jess'smom
Here is the information from the Celebrity website:

For all Celebrity ships, smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom or on any stateroom veranda. Cigarette smoking will only be permitted in designated indoor and outdoor areas of the ship, while cigar and pipe smoking will only be permitted in designated outdoor areas. Smoking will not be permitted in any dining venue, casino, theater, hallway, elevator or corridor. Violations to this smoking policy will result in a $250 cleaning fee being charged to the guest's onboard account and may also be addressed through Celebrity Cruises' Guest Conduct Policy. Cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco must be properly disposed of and never thrown overboard. A guest must be at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess or use tobacco onboard.

Additionally, there is a non-smoking policy on all components of the land tour portion of all Celebrity Cruises cruisetour products. We appreciate your understanding and adherence.

I was glad to read this as I am one of those reformed nonsmokers (who had smoked for 23 years before quitting)

I am confused about the last paragraph....... "Additionally, there is a non-smoking policy on all components of the land tour portion of all Celebrity Cruises cruisetour products. We appreciate your understanding and adherence."........ What :?: :?: :?:


RCI Policy:

"Effective January 2008, smoking is only permitted in designated areas and outdoors on the Starboard side of the ship (contact the Guest Services for details). Smoking is not permitted in any dining venue, theater, hallway or corridor. Smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom or on Oasis class Boardwalk or Central Park private balconies, however, it is permitted on private ocean view balconies of balcony/suite staterooms. A $250 penalty will be applied to the SeaPass for guests found smoking in staterooms or on the private balconies in Boardwalk and Central Park onboard Oasis class ships. Pipe & cigar smoking is only permitted within the Cigar lounge. If no Cigar lounge exists on the ship, there will be a designated area for pipe & cigar smoking, you will find out the location once onboard. Cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco must be properly disposed of and never thrown overboard. A guest must be at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess or use tobacco onboard.

The new policy will go into effect aboard 18 of 21 ships initially, with Legend of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas following suit with the 2008 summer season."

Smoking in the casino is still allowed on RCCL according to Customer Service.

Since RCI owns Celebrity, why is the policy different :?: Probably trying it out on Celebrity to see how it works. If profit goes down, policy will change. :)

DougR. January 5th, 2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Hi Rick the "probably" was a directly quote from the report. My guess is they can't be 100% certain, but at pretty sure in order to include it in the report.

Some people are not careful or don't realize what could happen. Sounds to me like this person was a slob and lazy. He/she left their stuff on the balcony and were to lazy to get an ashtray. The result is a man loss his life. For certain most smokers are careful and would not act this way. Sadly it only takes one, which is way the cruise line should have had the sprinkler system on the balconies at the time of this fire.

I interpret it that the cigarette probably caused the fire like OJ "probably" caused the deaths of his wife and Ron Goldman. rofl


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1