CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Ohh Great Gas Prices are UP (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/359867-ohh-great-gas-prices-up.html)

tbowman January 5th, 2009 08:42 PM

Ohh Great Gas Prices are UP

Just saw this story on Yahoo.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090105/...gasoline_price

If the rise continues do you think that the cruise lines will reinstate the fuel supplement? If so, will they notitify us before hand or just do it?

I sail in about a month, I just hope they hold off re-instating that fuel supplement until then.

Rick January 5th, 2009 09:33 PM

Re: Ohh Great Gas Prices are UP

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbowman
Just saw this story on Yahoo.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090105/...gasoline_price

If the rise continues do you think that the cruise lines will reinstate the fuel supplement? If so, will they notitify us before hand or just do it?

I sail in about a month, I just hope they hold off re-instating that fuel supplement until then.

hope for a cease-fire.

cutiecat January 5th, 2009 10:37 PM

the cruiselines did reserve the right to reinstate at any point if gas prices go up. i'm sure they will make an announcement when/if they reinstate it.

i hope gas doesn't sky rocket again...

Hpine1 January 6th, 2009 07:57 PM

If the price of oil keeps going up, then you can bet they will add a fuel surecharge again.

Donna January 6th, 2009 09:02 PM

Oh no, here we go again. I noticed yeserday that the price per gallon went up .20 in just a 24 hour period....

Kuki January 6th, 2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

the cruiselines did reserve the right to reinstate at any point if gas prices go up
They set $70/barrel as the benchmark price for them to consider reinstating the surcharges.

tbowman January 6th, 2009 11:31 PM

So even if I have paid off my cruise can they still charge me again?

Gas went from 1.45 to 1.55 with in a 24 hour period here in San Antonio.

colorcrazie January 8th, 2009 03:10 PM

Our documents for cruise in Nov states that they can charge you the fuel supplement even if you are paid in full. I have a problem with that philosophy, but not a darn thing I can do about it.
Marty :evil:

katlady January 8th, 2009 03:23 PM

They use the price per barrel on Light Sweet Crude oil. Here is a link http://www.reuters.com/finance/commodity?symbol=US@CL.1 The price right now is around $41 so it would have to move quite a bit to get to $70. However, the price of oil does move fast, one minute it's $41 the next it's $120. :shock:

colorcrazie January 12th, 2009 12:32 PM

Different cruise lines seem to be using different standards now, also. NCL's lastest flyer stated that if the price went over $65 they would add the surcharge.
Marty

katlady January 12th, 2009 01:55 PM

I paid about $2.00 per gallon, but the price of oil dropped to $37 :x :evil: :-?

funcruiser212 January 12th, 2009 09:49 PM

How would they do this after final payment? Would I get a call from my TA that they need more money or would they just add it to my S&S card?

Anyone have any experience on this?

Donna January 13th, 2009 08:34 AM

I always call my t/a when final payment is due and get the exact amount and give CC #.

katlady January 13th, 2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcruiser212
How would they do this after final payment? Would I get a call from my TA that they need more money or would they just add it to my S&S card?

Anyone have any experience on this?

I don't think anyone has experience this the price of a barrel of Light Sweet Crude oil has been under $65 since they do the policy into place. The thing is it doesn't matter how much you spend at the pump. The thing that matters is the price per barrel right now it's at $37.90. However, oil has a lot of day traders in it and the price can move quickly up or down. I hope that helps explain things.

richstacy January 14th, 2009 07:08 PM

A lot of things affect the price of crude, supply and demand first and foremost, but speculators too -- who are in turn influenced by wars and rumors of wars, politics and mass hysteria. In the long run, a great many old fields are drying up and China and India are putting huge numbers of motor vehicles on the road. The pressure of the price of crude and thus on all sorts of fuel is thus ever up over time, with lots of up and down zigs and zags in the line graph. :-?

momofmeg February 18th, 2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
They use the price per barrel on Light Sweet Crude oil. Here is a link http://www.reuters.com/finance/commodity?symbol=US@CL.1 The price right now is around $41 so it would have to move quite a bit to get to $70. However, the price of oil does move fast, one minute it's $41 the next it's $120. :shock:

This morning on the news I heard it has fell to $37-but I have not seen it drop at the pump yet. $1.90 here in GA

katlady February 19th, 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:

This morning on the news I heard it has fell to $37-but I have not seen it drop at the pump yet. $1.90 here in GA

Last bid was $38, but it is always changing. The thing is when the price per barrel of oil is high the gas stations don't as much money. Right now they are making money. Think about this the price is $120 per barrel you paid $4 per gallon. Now the price is $38 and you are paying about $2 per gallon. The price per barrel went down 68% but your cost was only reduced about 50%.

Also if your state is like California lots of taxes are added on to the price at the pump. So if the tax is .12 per gallon that .12 is there no matter what the price of a barrel of oil.

momofmeg February 23rd, 2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last bid was $38, but it is always changing. The thing is when the price per barrel of oil is high the gas stations don't as much money. Right now they are making money. Think about this the price is $120 per barrel you paid $4 per gallon. Now the price is $38 and you are paying about $2 per gallon. The price per barrel went down 68% but your cost was only reduced about 50%.

Also if your state is like California lots of taxes are added on to the price at the pump. So if the tax is .12 per gallon that .12 is there no matter what the price of a barrel of oil.

Well we are seeing the drop now-$1.79 a gallon here.

katlady February 25th, 2009 02:00 AM

It's still high here $2.35 per gallon. Much lower then before but off the earlier lows of $1.99 per gallon.

momofmeg February 25th, 2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

It's still high here $2.35 per gallon. Much lower then before but off the earlier lows of $1.99 per gallon.

LOL! gas is high in CA-We paid $1.25 a gal back in December. I live near Atlanta, GA

katlady February 28th, 2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! gas is high in CA-We paid $1.25 a gal back in December. I live near Atlanta, GA

Yup they add a lot of extra taxes to our gas. They say it's for "roads," but we have some of the worst roads here.

Manuel February 28th, 2009 08:36 AM

We are paying around 1,95 in Ct. but it goes up every few days.

TM

momofmeg March 1st, 2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
We are paying around 1,95 in Ct. but it goes up every few days.

TM

Here, it went down a few cents, when it went below $37 a barrel,but it is $189.9 a gal again. s o did not stay down that ten cents very long.

Katlady, I know some taxes had been taken off back in the fall when it was hitting $4 a gal. I stink they have been added back here also, otherwise our gas would still be $1.25 a gal.

I don't mind $2 a gal as that is HALF what we paid in October.

david30101 May 24th, 2009 07:29 PM

gas prices

Ive noticed this trend as well..Except this time the diesel is cheaper then gasoline..Why the differance now? the price per barrol isnt as much as before yet the sudden rise? Somebody has found a reason or excuse to raise prices like summer and hurricance season. It holds steady around 1.50 for several months (winter)..as soon as summer arrives it just jumps to 2.30 overnight. Just wait till laborday during peak hurricane season. It seems that as soon as a reporter says "storm in gulf" the price of gas will double overnight. this has NEVER happend before "katrina". Why start it now?..Because somebody found a way to cheat the system...And these are people that have loads of money and can afford gas at any price. So they dont care about the average joe blow getting by.

momofmeg May 25th, 2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yup they add a lot of extra taxes to our gas. They say it's for "roads," but we have some of the worst roads here.

Katady do you think California will really become it's own country?

katlady May 27th, 2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope they want to much Federal money to ever leave the USA. Right now we are enjoying the HR 1 money (economic stimulus). It included eextended and increased UI benefits. However, next earthquake and California will fall into the ocean anyway. Go why worry. :wink:

momofmeg May 27th, 2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope they want to much Federal money to ever leave the USA. Right now we are enjoying the HR 1 money (economic stimulus). It included eextended and increased UI benefits. However, next earthquake and California will fall into the ocean anyway. Go why worry. :wink:

Oh but that is why California may secede, because the federal goverment said no! and now on our news, Roy Barnes, a former GA governor who hopes to be elected as governor again next year is saying Georgia should secede. I have no idea why-I guess because California said that. I suppose individual states now think they should leave a bankrupt country?

katlady May 27th, 2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh but that is why California may secede, because the federal goverment said no! and now on our news, Roy Barnes, a former GA governor who hopes to be elected as governor again next year is saying Georgia should secede. I have no idea why-I guess because California said that. I suppose individual states now think they should leave a bankrupt country?

The federal govenment didn't say no to the extended UI benefits. The Federal bill HR 1 was passed. The State of California passed a bill to met the requires of HR 1 are we are getting Federal Funding for extended UI benefits. I'm confused what the Federal Goverment said no to. :-? California won't secede, I don't know why Georgia would want to either. USA is as bankrupted as anywhere.

ToddDH May 27th, 2009 08:52 PM

Katlady,

A lot of the western democracies are pretty bankrupt. But what's worse is that China's economy is still growing by leaps and bounds and that country almost "owns" the United States, at least for now. I think if the average American were really to put their minds to learning something about world economics, they'd be scared to death right now. In this instance, maybe ignorance really is bliss.

What is sadly happening in California is a quintessential example as to how not only a state, but an entire country might go to complete financial ruin on a rocket sled. I have to say, and I'm sure I'm not alone, that I am far far more concerned about our economic viability in the foreseeable future, than even any external agression (and that's not to say we don't have to worry about that as well). At some point the entire bill for what can only be described as this unbelievable orgy of spending will come due and when it does, the suffering of the average American that will result from such a payment will, again in my opinion, possibly be unimaginable.

It's all so sad; so very, very sad.

Todd

Todd

katlady May 28th, 2009 08:30 AM

Part of the reason for China growth is they tied the currency (yuan) to the US dollar. When the dollar was down the Yuan was down and what that did was make their products cheaper in eurpore. So they were exporting things to the eurpore nations, but not importing goods into he country. This made it difficult for other countries to compete. Also the US had low inflation at the time so tied the Yuan to the dollar meant the they had low inflation. In a country with economy growth this is normally higher inflation it's one of the big concern. Other concern with China is as it grows each family is now owning a car. The is increasing thier need for Oil, which is why the Russian government handling for Yukos (oil company) was a problem for China. China got much of their oil from Yukos. I think Russian Government disbanded and took over Yukos for two reasons: 1. the CEO opposed the current Preisdent of Russian, and 2. the Government wanted the money from selling oil to China. BTW don't get to caught up with China and forgot about India. These two countries are the international power players. China got pressure from other nations and has started to "float" their Yuan so that is better for everyone. I don't worry to much about the USA this downturn has had some postive effects. People are bugdeting thier money again,learning how to save, and not depending so much on credit. These are good for the country as a whole.