Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Default excessive cell phone usage....

It drives me crazy. When I work in my office, people carry on ridiculous conversations about nothing at all to their friends while I try to work. We have a sign up that says "no cell phones please" but they give me a dirty look when I ask them to stop. Even on cruise ships, I can't get over the amount of time that people spend on cells. It's one thing if it's an emergency or work-related, but talking about diapers and movies non-stop is beyond me. I guess I sound old................I was in the front row of a VanMorrison concert and the girl next to me kept yelling in her cell phone to her friend how great this is. Jeepers.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
Admiral

I can understand your frustration but have no answer as to how to solve or control it. Saw people everywhere on my cruise last week " celling ".
I get so tired of being in the grocery check out with someone behind me yakking on and on about something stupid and another in front of me talking with the cell in one hand and slowly unloading a heaping cart with the other hand while the check out clerk waits for them to hand her / him an item to be scanned.
This was a first, at least to me--we recently had a young lady deceased as a result of an accident. Believe it or not when they buried her, they had her cell propped up beside her head--said she loved it so much and used it so much they wanted her to take it with her !!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good grief, who would want to talk non stop on a vacation on a cell phone. I was thinking of taking my I Touch to keep in contact with my daughter, but I have decided against it, as I am trying to get away from my responsibilites here at home, not take them with me. I can email her from a cyber cafe in each port and know that she and the babies are fine.

Cell phones have now been outlawed while driving on all military installations and some states are doing the same. I wish Texas would, but, the cops here yak on theres just as much as the average person.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Beginner

In December, we flew out of Detroit. During security screening, our stuff was held up behind the scanner. I observed the TSA agent behind the X-ray machine feverently texting on his cell phone. He was holding it so it was not obvious (so he thought!). While he was texting, people were going through the walk-through scanner and waiting on their stuff on the other side. Would have made it real easy for someone behind you to pick through your stuff and put it in their bin!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Beginner

In December, we flew out of Detroit. During security screening, our stuff was held up behind the scanner. I observed the TSA agent behind the X-ray machine feverently texting on his cell phone. He was holding it so it was not obvious (so he thought!). While he was texting, people were going through the walk-through scanner and waiting on their stuff on the other side. Would have made it real easy for someone behind you to pick through your stuff and put it in their bin!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I was in the bathroom, doing my thing, and I hear the person in the stall next to me chatting on the cell phone. Seriously, people there is no call that important. Plus I feel that is an invasion of my privacy. I can't even piss in peace anymore.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
First Mate

That's a catchy little phrase, "piss in peace" You gotta love it!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Katlady, you have won me heart with your phrase !!
I love it--and it is so true !!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree that there is no need to continuously use your cell phone but, then again, people do have the right to use their phone in a non-intrusive or non-distracting manner.

The most angry I ever became on a cruise ship was on the HAL Statendam in Shanghai. It was early morning and I went up on the highest deck to give my daughter a call to check on a couple of matters and to say hi to the Grandkids.

As I was talking I noticed a man walk up the stairs that were about forty feet away and stare at me while I was talking. He then proceeded to walk over and stand next to me and then said in a "Very" loud voice: "I come on a cruise to get away from people with cell phones."

I went off and in mid sentence I put my hand over the phone and got directly into his face and said: "Get the hell out of here before you start something you won't finish." The snide look melted from his face and he walked away. I saw him a number of times during the cruise and he never made eye contact with me.

It had been years since I had done something like that but this jerk went over the line. BTW: There was no way anyone on a lower deck could have heard me even if I was yelling into the phone.

So: I guess it goes both ways.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
First Mate

You be correct. I guess it's like the anti-smoking crazed nuts. They feel they have a right to say anything at all at any time. Hey, as long as it's legal, I'm not going to say a thing. Sorry, I gotta go. There's a guy ordering lumber a few feet away from me and boy is he loud on his cell phone!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Admiral

We could add it to the US Constitution. You have the right to freedom of speech, the press, religion, and assembly. You have the right to piss in peace. Maybe I should run for congress on the right to piss in peace platform.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
First Mate

Just my opinion, but i think they should make cell phone jammers legal
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Captain

[quote="Mike M"]

The most angry I ever became on a cruise ship was on the HAL Statendam in Shanghai. It was early morning and I went up on the highest deck to give my daughter a call to check on a couple of matters and to say hi to the Grandkids.

As I was talking I noticed a man walk up the stairs that were about forty feet away and stare at me while I was talking. He then proceeded to walk over and stand next to me and then said in a "Very" loud voice: "I come on a cruise to get away from people with cell phones."

Only a real jerk would seek you out to tell you that you are irritating him. Amazing! The nerve of some people, to go out of their way to be such a putz.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I live on a cell phone and blackberry all year long. When I go on a cruise it goes into the safe in my cabin and NOT TURNED ON ALL WEEK!!

Two or three people have the 800 emergency number to carnival - I have NEVER been called and no one ever died because a finance guy was out of reach for a week.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Personally, I have no problem with people on cellphones. I only use mine when we are in dock and close to land and can get a signal and thats only to make sure my elderly parents are okay and the house come dog sitter are okay and there are no problems at home,,, it makes me feel better.

Given when at sea there is very little chance of getting a signal to use the device, then this complaint maybe overplayed as it will not be 24x7 on ship, but maybe only when people reach port and can use it,,so then you see it more.

Its not all about loud mouths, and not all of us leave behind the rest of the world just because we are on vacation
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Admiral

In my mind the fanatics who are annoyed by any cellphone conversation are much worse than the offenders. Tune them out people! I think a lot of people are annoyed more at only being able to eavesdrop on one side of the conversation.

My personal dislike are the cellphone wanderers who pace aimlessly while talking. However, I refrain from advocating a ban based on my petty dislike.

So far no one on the anti-cellphone crusade has been able to explain why personal conversations at the same volume do not annoy them as much, if at all.

My only confrontation with one of these fanatics occured on the train home. I took my cellphone out becuase I had received a text message (set on vibrate, no annoying beep each time a message arrives.) My seatmate looked at me and said, "Are you going to annoy me with that cellphone?" Her face was contorted with self-righteous annoyance. I looked at her without blinking and said "Yeah, I guess I am!" She sputtered in rage and went and stood the rest of the trip by the door, next to two persons chatting amicably but auidably. No doubt if they were talking on cell phones at the same volume she would have short circuited. She waited for the same connecting train as me and stared hateful arrows at me the whole time, especially since I was actually talking on the phone during the wait on the platform. Oh yeah, I was at least 50 feet from the nearest creature who could hear me and that was a muskrat in the swamp on the other side of the tracks.

Some people are in need of being perpetually annoyed by somthing.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

It can be a lot of fun to give those who want to be annoyed something to focus on. I'm a fan of pretending to blow my cig smoke their way or acting like I am talking on my cell phone when I am not. That one seems to really get to them, because they think they should be annoyed, yet they can't hear anything. Hey, I'm just trying to give them their version of a good day.

Marty
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Sometimes when I'm surrounded by " cell-a-holics " I've been known to take off my watch and strike up a loud nonsense conversation with myself--that usually gets a few stares. Sometimes I"ll make a comment about my new watch phone I picked up in Europe ! Bet I've had a few people checking to see where they can get one !!
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Ron,
I like that one. Pretend to have some kind of James Bond gizmo to talk into. Or pretend like you are wired like some over-acted TV series' cops.
Marty
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I've started to take off my shoe a couple of times and talk into it but my wife always swears she would smack me if I tried that--!!
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
First Mate

ah, once in my lifetime there were telephone booths -- for privacy; folks valued it then. before that were operators and party lines; no privacy there. now, we've come full circle; cell phones everywhere, people talking in cars, in restaurants, in grocery stores, and, believe me, even in churches during Mass. as a priest, i've heard cells ring out during Mass - one even played 'dixie.' i once saw a woman (and we see everything from where we stand) pick up a cell phone and talk during the reading of the Holy Gospel. what can i say? cells are a convenience, often a need, but not most of the time. as for me, my cell is off, and i check it a few times a day for messages; in the john , or at the barber shop, or in a grocery store, i have no need of calls -- only messages. but it is a sign of this 'gotta be connected' society; i love not always being 'connected.' and especially on a cruise ship. no need to flame me; just a humble opinion.
ps: the Mass incidents were handled lovingly, but firmly and swiftly!
pps: NO cellphones on in confessionals
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I cracked up over the no cell phones in the confessional. I'm afraid I do know some people who feel they have to share everything! Sad, in a way. When did we lose to ability to spend quality time with a good book, or THE Good Book? That's totally rhetorical. I just do feel badly for those who have to be connected via gizmo's all the time.
Marty....using a gizmo to connect you all of you....the silver lining in this particular cloud
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yeoman

I wasn't going to chime in but guess I will anyway. I must admit cell phone usage does annoy me depending on the circumstances but I'm afraid it's the world we live in and there isn't much we can do about it. Perhaps the cruise lines could do like my health club and only allow usage in you cabin or designated areas. Oh wait, they have usage onboard ship to make MONEY so we know they won't restrict their use!
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
First Mate

We have a toy cell phone we picked up for a buck, including battery. Looks real. You press a button and it rings. But press any of the numbered keys and a childish nursery tune plays.

Standing near someone who may be annoyed over the cell phone activity you press the ring button. You retrieve the toy from your pocket and answer. The conversation goes like this: "Yes, I see her, the lady in the red dress, the lady beside the panelled wall" Her attention is now assured. We continue; "You wish to speak to her? The lady in the red dress? Very well just a moment, please". The lady is now completely captured by what is going on and wondering who on earth is calling her. I hand her the phone and ask that she press 9 to secure the line. She does and is entertained by the children's musical tune. With that, if we don't get a laugh out of her or anyone in earshot then we consider them poor sports. But usually it alleviates the tension of cell phone annoyance.

We own a cell phone that is only enabled to dial 911.
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
We could add it to the US Constitution. You have the right to freedom of speech, the press, religion, and assembly. You have the right to piss in peace. Maybe I should run for congress on the right to piss in peace platform.
Maybe you should run for president.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am most annoyed by people with those stupid blue tooth things in their ear. They walk around talking to themselves. It seems they think they are more important and smarter than everyone else with these things.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wear one on each ear....so I guess I'm uber important, like Jack Bauer mutha&%^#@
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

The first time I met someone with one of those devices I thought they had the largest and worst hearing aid in their ear that I had ever seen.

When I spoke to them I spoke as if I was talking to a deaf person. They asked why and I said sorry I thought you were deaf. They looked really red in the face and after walking away, removed it from their ear in a sort of sly way,,,still makes me laugh.

Today, yes I can see the safety in using them when driving,,but walking about with them in,,,,dear oh dear.

What do you look like Experience since then has also taught me that its the not so intelligent amongst us that walk about with them in.

God love them they think they are in Star Trek
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I am most annoyed by people with those stupid blue tooth things in their ear. They walk around talking to themselves. It seems they think they are more important and smarter than everyone else with these things.
The solution is, of course, to walk up to them while they are having a conversation (probably to themselves) and begin a conversation of your own, preferably at a level of volume greater than theirs. As they walk away, walk with them and continue the conversation. Then abruptly announce in a loud and clear voice, "Sorry pal I have this jerk standing beside me talking to himself, I'll have to call you back...."
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Great idea!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08