Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Both. Welcome to our world!
Marty
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
First Mate

actually, katlady, we don't get much snow up here at all; the coldest we usually get is about 25 degrees. i'm sure there are places in northern or western california that get this bad or worse; plus, we don't normally have to fight brush fires, landslides, earthquakes, or smog. it is all relative, isn't it? and i am not grumpy; just waiting on my next cruise from ft.laud to montreal in may. so, keep a hold on your judgements, and so will we all. peace
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
actually, katlady, we don't get much snow up here at all; the coldest we usually get is about 25 degrees. i'm sure there are places in northern or western california that get this bad or worse; plus, we don't normally have to fight brush fires, landslides, earthquakes, or smog. it is all relative, isn't it? and i am not grumpy; just waiting on my next cruise from ft.laud to montreal in may. so, keep a hold on your judgements, and so will we all. peace
I'm not judgemental I rude and ingnorant, please get that right. I'm also grumpy cause I don't have a cruise scheduled. Plus, I was teasing (you can't see it but I'm making funny faces). We have four seasons here in California: Fire, Flood, Earthquake, and mudslide. The Smog isn't bad on the Northern part of California where I hang my hat. Wait I don't wear a hat.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
I'm not judgemental I rude and ingnorant, please get that right. I'm also grumpy cause I don't have a cruise scheduled. Plus, I was teasing (you can't see it but I'm making funny faces). We have four seasons here in California: Fire, Flood, Earthquake, and mudslide. The Smog isn't bad on the Northern part of California where I hang my hat. Wait I don't wear a hat.
If you don't wear a hat you might want to have the growth on top of your head in the avatar photo removed.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:
Quote:
If you don't wear a hat you might want to have the growth on top of your head in the avatar photo removed.
That's just my hair. Okay I forgot my avatar picture has me wearing a hat. Can you have senior moments at 39?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:
Quote:
That's just my hair. Okay I forgot my avatar picture has me wearing a hat. Can you have senior moments at 39?
I have been 39 for the past 20 years and have them all the time.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM
First Mate

katlady, i think one big drawback to forums like this is that we can't see the expressions or body language of others. you use the emoticons very well and often, and i am going to have to do that also. i can have, without personal contact, a kind of cynical humor, even though it is in jest. if i were really upset, anyone would know it, though it rarely happens. but on this forum, who really knows? i've had my feelings hurt, too, though maybe some comments were meant tongue in cheek, so to say. and at times, like many others, i just get to the limit with redundant issues like 'bringing liquor on board.'
so, i apologize if seemed to be too aggressive.

ps: we have our seasons in georgia, too: allergy, allergy, allergy, and allergy -- plus 'yellow car pine pollen season', mosquito season, lady bug season up here in the north, and, of course COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON, which is year 'round.
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
katlady, i think one big drawback to forums like this is that we can't see the expressions or body language of others. you use the emoticons very well and often, and i am going to have to do that also. i can have, without personal contact, a kind of cynical humor, even though it is in jest. if i were really upset, anyone would know it, though it rarely happens. but on this forum, who really knows? i've had my feelings hurt, too, though maybe some comments were meant tongue in cheek, so to say. and at times, like many others, i just get to the limit with redundant issues like 'bringing liquor on board.'
so, i apologize if seemed to be too aggressive.

ps: we have our seasons in georgia, too: allergy, allergy, allergy, and allergy -- plus 'yellow car pine pollen season', mosquito season, lady bug season up here in the north, and, of course COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON, which is year 'round.
Oh see I was thinking if I ever moved out of California I would be to Georgia the seasons are mild and it's suppose to be really pretty there. Plus it close to cruising ports in Florida. Hombre, no hard feelings here. I have had a few posts misunderstood. That is why I started using the Emoticons.

On the "create a cruiseline" thread I thought you were tongue in cheek, that is why I asked. I loved the name of the teen cruise line. It made me want to start a thread of just cruise names. College kids cruise the Intoxicated of the seas etc...

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
First Mate

katlady: it is relatively mild here depending on what part of georgia you live. there are 'three' states -- georgia is the largest state east of the mississippi. the mountains, where i live; the central piedmont, atlanta; and the flat, hot south. if you want to live near florida, you'd have to move to somewhere like savannah or albany or waycross. somehow, i can't see you doing that . though, some years ago i toured washington, oregon and northern california down to san fran. it is kind of like that here, though not nearly so gorgeous with the sea and the redwood forests. ah, the sea. too bad no ships sail from charlotte or atlanta!!!!!!!!!! in northeast georgia tonight, it will be a low of 25 and a high tomorrow of about 55; sort of standard. but the spring and fall are absolutely to die for. thanks for your dialogue; i feel much better now. doug, aka, padre, fr. doug
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Default RUDE POSTERS

:evil: Let me tell you on another board for Princess I've met the cruisers from hell..Rude, snide, and snobs to start with.. several are doing back to back and if you go on the wrong board they make a comment and report you to the Moderator..who has taken three of u s off..WHY?? We were talking about our experience in Porta Delardo looking for a rest room and finding a little elderly lady selling toilet paper..or the unisex toilets in Morocco..lol..two cruisers found it offensive and said it wasn't appropriate..lol. As a trans-atlantic cruiser who usually cruises Celebrity.. our experience on Princess is starting off on the wrong foot..My friend and I kiddingly have two women w are going to toss overboard among the crocs one night.... lol.. I'm finding some people take themselves too seriously..and it's a shame...this is my life time/bucket cruise and I'm going to have a wonderful time..YES, I AM!!!
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its true, sometimes people forget their manners at home while on vacation. I try to not let things bother me while on vacation...I've had the women selling TP in Cozumel, what can you do? To me, I thought it was totally wrong, treating travelers like that while they are in your country spending their hard earned $, but that must be their custom?? Either on vacation or at home, I try to treat people the way I like to be treated, if everyone did that, there would be no problems.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Frankly, anyone who spends their life trying to make a living selling toilet paper has to have a much rougher time of it than I do. They have my compassion and a little of my money. No problem.
Marty
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Admiral

When have you ever seen manners on a web board? It does not exist unless its a club and everyone nods and accepts the word of others...manners on a web board, what next

Some are confusing manners with the ability to reply or counter the discussion.

Crap post but I'm on a mission
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Admiral

I am a newbie but I've been on other boards in the past. The people here are great.I am encouraging friends who cruise to register here
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Captain

Could not agree more about people having no manners on cruise boards. I have seen it in action far too many times. The odd thing about it is that those people are the ones who tend to complain the most about others. Go figure, I guess it takes all kinds.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Default Toilet paper for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie View Post
Frankly, anyone who spends their life trying to make a living selling toilet paper has to have a much rougher time of it than I do. They have my compassion and a little of my money. No problem.
Marty
LOOKIng back on that I should have mentioned it was a public toilet and the little older lady was probably the one that cleaned up after the public. It wasn't a tourist area that is for sure.. In my post on the other board the woman was talking about the t.p in Nepal... lol or the lack of it.. The cranky posters are the same ones that post time after time after time about their fantastic experiences.. guess they never had to run for the "banos"....lol..or had touristas revenge.. And yes, inspite of those people we had a fabulous cruise because of the itinerary, not our fellow cruisers on that board.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Could not agree more about people having no manners on cruise boards. I have seen it in action far too many times. The odd thing about it is that those people are the ones who tend to complain the most about others. Go figure, I guess it takes all kinds.

Debra
Can you have manners and still complain? :razz:

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Yes you can, its all how you say it
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Rudeness

It's all about attitude and snideness that come through.. or best is the "know it alls"...and sadly are a few and never allow somebody to have a "last word"
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Yes you can, its all how you say it
Better yet, how you type it.

Sweet Sailing!

Old March 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre View Post
katlady: it is relatively mild here depending on what part of georgia you live. there are 'three' states -- georgia is the largest state east of the mississippi. the mountains, where i live; the central piedmont, atlanta; and the flat, hot south. if you want to live near florida, you'd have to move to somewhere like savannah or albany or waycross. somehow, i can't see you doing that . though, some years ago i toured washington, oregon and northern california down to san fran. it is kind of like that here, though not nearly so gorgeous with the sea and the redwood forests. ah, the sea. too bad no ships sail from charlotte or atlanta!!!!!!!!!! in northeast georgia tonight, it will be a low of 25 and a high tomorrow of about 55; sort of standard. but the spring and fall are absolutely to die for. thanks for your dialogue; i feel much better now. doug, aka, padre, fr. doug
I live near Atlanta, and when we have summers of a month straight of 93 or above, I can't see how southern Ga could be any hotter.

Of course now, it has been colder than usual, and we have had lots of rain. I am hoping this means the summer will be milder than usual.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Default Typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
Better yet, how you type it.

Sweet Sailing!

Sometimes my fingers get in my way of typing and my brain and manners get lost..at least some people think that.
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Sometimes my fingers get in my way of typing and my brain and manners get lost..at least some people think that.
I can relate to that
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Hi there, I think people read far too much into the written word & can be too sensitive & not tolerant enough particularly where different national traits are involved.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Hi there, I think people read far too much into the written word & can be too sensitive & not tolerant enough particularly where different national traits are involved.
That is a good point. Each culture handle commuication different. For example in business a lot of Americans are considered rude, because we get straight down to the business transaction. In other countries the like to know you on a personal level before the business transaction. Which makes a lot of sense to me. I took an interesting business class in college about multicultural business etiquette.

So when I went to Italy I tried to learn about the country's customs. Once I got there I realized no one stands in line. I was fine with it, however, my hubby, sister, and nephew were not ready. In Venice I pushed my way through the crowd and hopped on a water bus. As the water bus was leaving I turn around to see my hubby and company still on the dock. I had to jump off the water bus fast. The tipping thing was the biggest issue with my hubby. I told him you don't tip in Italy, he just couldn't do it he tipped everywhere. Some habits are so ingrained in you by your culture that you have trouble break them.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Cool Standing in line

SO, THAT'S IT!!! Europeans aren't used to waiting in line or queing (sp) up..that is so obvious.. As for tipping we always check the bill for "conservasio/tip added".. I've seen Americans tip obnoxiously even on the cruise ships at dinner when it isn't necessary..
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Ah the standing in line debate,,or everyone for themself,,,that's a dangerous place to go in debate in Europe

You see the British do it in fact we invented it, stand in line and we see it as manners. So when you say Europeans don’t as a rule you may be right but here in the UK it’s THE most heinous crime in any public place, cutting the line for ANYTHING.

It all goes back to the war and rationing and Q's people stood in for anything. But thank God we still have it as a social grace as its manners.

For the ones in Europe that never stood up to anything in their lives and it was everyman for themselves, then that still seems to be the case if you know what I mean.

However even Europe as a continent, not a country has differing standards in each country, as although European, we are a lot of different cultures, languages and social graces. Don't tar all with the same brush. On a daily basis in business I have to treat, Italians, Spanish, French, Greeks and Germans differently due to their culture,,and all in different countries. DO you get the difference from one big continent, ie America and states, to another continent made up of different countries. Sorry my rant but some Americans seem to think Europe is like America and the countries of Europe are states

Last edited by DayvidB; March 24th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Admiral

You know it never occurred to me that anyone would consider Europe as one country! The different languages would give a clue & until relatively recently, different currencies. I completely agree that not waiting in or jumping a queue or line is a definite no-no in the UK & would probably end up with a nasty situation.....if you see what I mean. I believe in saying it how it is but tactfully if possible, it's not always possible though, especially if people are looking to find fault.
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Doesn't Europe want to be one big country? Everybody wants to be like America! (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Historically we were always at war with each other, in fact we were even at war with the French in North America!! amongst other places.