Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Doesn't Europe want to be one big country? Everybody wants to be like America! (tongue planted firmly in cheek)
I am from the southern US, and I have had people treat me like I was from another country, when visiting other areas of the country. Cultures can be so different, even within a country.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Default Again woops!!

DayvidB... did not want to be politically incorrect by naming certain nationalities. While in London several times we have found the english speaking people extremely courteous.. It might be said of residents of certain cities that they are exceptionally rude, New Englanders are reserved and Westerners are welcoming.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Admiral

"DayvidB... did not want to be politically incorrect".

So true and hopefully I never will, I'm just looking for some folks to understand the reality of Europe. As a person who lives on the continent of Europe, but not European if you know what I mean, I'm British. When I cruise in Europe and sail there and between ports overnight. I can go from one culture that I understand to one that is so alien in thought or action to me and my thoughts that I really think "what the hell".

So as a Brit and a European I find it hard sometimes, the diversity of Europe. So God help the understanding of others from say the USA getting to grips with it, thats all I meant and my point.

But its that diversity and what it offers that should make everyone that cruises, have a go at seeing Europe as it can be and is so diverse in the experience it offers,,,,as unlike your normal Carib island hops over X days it is NOT all the same.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Ah the standing in line debate,,or everyone for themself,,,that's a dangerous place to go in debate in Europe

You see the British do it in fact we invented it, stand in line and we see it as manners. So when you say Europeans donít as a rule you may be right but here in the UK itís THE most heinous crime in any public place, cutting the line for ANYTHING.

It all goes back to the war and rationing and Q's people stood in for anything. But thank God we still have it as a social grace as its manners.

For the ones in Europe that never stood up to anything in their lives and it was everyman for themselves, then that still seems to be the case if you know what I mean.

However even Europe as a continent, not a country has differing standards in each country, as although European, we are a lot of different cultures, languages and social graces. Don't tar all with the same brush. On a daily basis in business I have to treat, Italians, Spanish, French, Greeks and Germans differently due to their culture,,and all in different countries. DO you get the difference from one big continent, ie America and states, to another continent made up of different countries. Sorry my rant but some Americans seem to think Europe is like America and the countries of Europe are states
I was very careful to put Venice and Italy in my post. My hubby would like the British way better. My hubby is not the type to cut in line or push his way through a crowd. I'm more adaptable I go with the flow of the country.

In California we have a mix of different cultures. I cut hair for 14 years, I got to understand many different cultures and I understand that when I'm visiting your country I should respect and follow your rules and culture and not try to impose my culture upon you. I'm going to Mexico in May it's an interesting thing that a lot of Americas expect to use the US dollar in Mexico. Why is that? We won't take the peso in the USA. I'm going to exchange some money and carry the proper currency of the country in which I travel.:-D I would love to go back and see more my Europe it's an interesting country.

Take the island of Cyprus half Greek and Half Turkish that would be an interesting experience. I had a co worker that came from the island, she was turkish and as a kid she was also killed by the Greek army. :eek:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Admiral

As Brits we of course expect every country to speak English.....& to our embarrassment most do!!