CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Oosterdam drinks (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/361219-oosterdam-drinks.html)

Cheshire2 February 9th, 2009 05:35 PM

Oosterdam drinks

We just got back from mexico on the Oosterdam and had a great time, the only complaint we have is that the drinks were very weak. You would think that at six bucks per drink they would be a bit more generous with the alcohol content. We actually had to buy tequila at one of the ports to add to the margaritas! Anyone else notice this? :x

hombre February 12th, 2009 06:51 AM

a bit off the subject i know, but curiosity has the best of me: how did you get the tequila on to the oosterdam??

reverendjeff February 12th, 2009 10:27 AM

hombre, some things are best left to the confessional. :-P

(Dcn Jeff)

hombre February 12th, 2009 10:52 AM

very true, rev, though the next time i sail on the oosterdam, i'm setting up a required 'toot and tell' just past the inspection station. and maybe i will dispense indulgences; after all, disasterous as they were for the Church, they did build st. peter's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it comes to bringing good spirits on board, there are 'pastoral dispensations.' LOL LOL LOL , lest anyone think i am serious.

Cheshire2 February 12th, 2009 11:08 AM

Actually I was not that secretive about it. I was wearing cargo pants and just slipped a medium sized bottle into one of my pockets. A ships towel was draped over my shoulder. I just figured worse case they would confiscate it and return it after the cruise. The ship actually had quite a bit of hard liquor for sale at fairly reasonable prices in the store, but I did not realize it until after my indiscretion. :shock:

green_rd February 12th, 2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheshire2
Actually I was not that secretive about it. I was wearing cargo pants and just slipped a medium sized bottle into one of my pockets. A ships towel was draped over my shoulder. I just figured worse case they would confiscate it and return it after the cruise. The ship actually had quite a bit of hard liquor for sale at fairly reasonable prices in the store, but I did not realize it until after my indiscretion. :shock:

You don't get the booze you buy on board until the last night. Do you?

reverendjeff February 12th, 2009 03:01 PM

No, they keep it locked up until the last night. Sometimes you do get it early enough to test the quality.

As for the original poster, I think hombre would agree that he was seeking forgiveness rather than permission. I feel his penance should be sharing said bottle of Tequila with fellow cruisemates.

hombre February 13th, 2009 08:24 AM

ah, rev. jeff. you know the old 'better seek forgiveness than permission' adage. truer words were never spoken. and, of course, i am into sharing.
margaritas for everyone!!!!!!
LOL

Ron n Jon February 13th, 2009 04:00 PM

We have dealt with this subject before, giving Oceania "The Golden Thimble Award" for the smallest shot glass in the industry. We just refused to go to their bars as the drinks were not only weak they were, distasteful because of it. Sweet Vermouth is never a suitable substitute for a Manhattan.

As a former distillery honcho I can tell you that ships in port purchase their alcohol for a little as three dollars a bottle because there are no duties and taxes when purchased as ship's stores. So there is no need to ruin a good drink by thinking for whatever reason, financial or otherwise, that a shorter pour is a better pour. Fortunately the miniatures in the stateroom bar set up are carried about and used to fortify the cocktails with some alcohol...