Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Default Oosterdam drinks

We just got back from mexico on the Oosterdam and had a great time, the only complaint we have is that the drinks were very weak. You would think that at six bucks per drink they would be a bit more generous with the alcohol content. We actually had to buy tequila at one of the ports to add to the margaritas! Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
First Mate

a bit off the subject i know, but curiosity has the best of me: how did you get the tequila on to the oosterdam??
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
First Mate

hombre, some things are best left to the confessional.

(Dcn Jeff)
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
First Mate

very true, rev, though the next time i sail on the oosterdam, i'm setting up a required 'toot and tell' just past the inspection station. and maybe i will dispense indulgences; after all, disasterous as they were for the Church, they did build st. peter's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it comes to bringing good spirits on board, there are 'pastoral dispensations.' , lest anyone think i am serious.
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Actually I was not that secretive about it. I was wearing cargo pants and just slipped a medium sized bottle into one of my pockets. A ships towel was draped over my shoulder. I just figured worse case they would confiscate it and return it after the cruise. The ship actually had quite a bit of hard liquor for sale at fairly reasonable prices in the store, but I did not realize it until after my indiscretion.
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire2
Actually I was not that secretive about it. I was wearing cargo pants and just slipped a medium sized bottle into one of my pockets. A ships towel was draped over my shoulder. I just figured worse case they would confiscate it and return it after the cruise. The ship actually had quite a bit of hard liquor for sale at fairly reasonable prices in the store, but I did not realize it until after my indiscretion.
You don't get the booze you buy on board until the last night. Do you?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM
First Mate

No, they keep it locked up until the last night. Sometimes you do get it early enough to test the quality.

As for the original poster, I think hombre would agree that he was seeking forgiveness rather than permission. I feel his penance should be sharing said bottle of Tequila with fellow cruisemates.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM
First Mate

ah, rev. jeff. you know the old 'better seek forgiveness than permission' adage. truer words were never spoken. and, of course, i am into sharing.
margaritas for everyone!!!!!!
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
First Mate

We have dealt with this subject before, giving Oceania "The Golden Thimble Award" for the smallest shot glass in the industry. We just refused to go to their bars as the drinks were not only weak they were, distasteful because of it. Sweet Vermouth is never a suitable substitute for a Manhattan.

As a former distillery honcho I can tell you that ships in port purchase their alcohol for a little as three dollars a bottle because there are no duties and taxes when purchased as ship's stores. So there is no need to ruin a good drink by thinking for whatever reason, financial or otherwise, that a shorter pour is a better pour. Fortunately the miniatures in the stateroom bar set up are carried about and used to fortify the cocktails with some alcohol...