Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Default Upgrade?

Well I have not posted a gripe in some time, thinking that life was going fine, so no need to gripe. Today I replied to a post on the Carnival forum and the more I thought about it, I decided to gripe! Here it is;

Is it REALLY a big deal as a past guest to recieve a "FREE UPGRADE" which consist of moving me up a deck or two in the same type cabin I have purchased? I mean if you want to honor my past loyalty, why not give me a cabin upgrade or OBC? Then you have something, but not this supposed upgrade of decks. I talk to the corporate vacation planner and they act all excited about being able to give me this "upgrade". I am sorry but it does little to excite me, nor does it feel like a sweet deal.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Admiral

The majority of cruisers are past guests. So what kind of up grades can they give to almost all the passengers on any ship?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
First Mate

Good point. Why not use a sliding scale much like the different "levels" used now for past guest. Example, on your third cruise, a upgrade to a higher deck. 5th cruise, a higher deck and a "gift". 7th cruise, higher deck and an ob board credit, etc...

Even if they do not change anything, please quit pretending that you are "giving" me something special by moving my cabin up a floor.
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Admiral

A upgrade that doesn't change catogories isn't a big deal. For example 4A to 4C. However, a upgrade that changes catogories is so wonderful 6A to 11. This very rarely happens.

It did happen to us once, we didn't know we had been upgraded until we entered the room. My hubby was mad at first because he thought we got a small window. I said that's not a window it's a door. Then we did the happy dance like crazy people. The next year my hubby was expecting it to happen again, he was so disappointed when it didn't.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
First Mate

Everything is relative. When you check out the deck plans and the accommodation codes it is obvious that there are designation differences in the stateroom locations in the eyes of the cruise company. We may not see a difference but they do. And whether or not we can appreciate the upgrade that has been offered, to them they have done us a service.

Consider if you will the cruise line that takes your money and give you a downgrade. How quick we would all be complaining about that? So to us, the old adage of "Never Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth" should apply.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Wih all due respect, this " upgrade " thing is, in my opinion, is blown waaaayyyy out of proportion.
You book a certain cat. cabin, on x deck--word comes down you have been " upgraded " to y deck--big deal--you went up a deck or two--same cabin--same everything except your one or two decks higher.
I have to think a lot of it is the ol' human nature to think you're getting something for nothing, or more than you paid for. If you have a cabin mid-ship on the bottom deck, get " upgraded " to the same type cabin under the disco or galley 2-3 decks up, have you really gotten an " upgrade " --not really .
I agree if you go from an outside to a balcony, then it may be considered an upgrade--inside to outside--maybe an upgrade--balcony to a suite--an upgrade--but, same cabin up a deck or two--not really.
I book the cabin I want to begin with and know going in where I can drop my bags. I like it that way.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
Well I have not posted a gripe in some time, thinking that life was going fine, so no need to gripe. Today I replied to a post on the Carnival forum and the more I thought about it, I decided to gripe! Here it is;

Is it REALLY a big deal as a past guest to recieve a "FREE UPGRADE" which consist of moving me up a deck or two in the same type cabin I have purchased? I mean if you want to honor my past loyalty, why not give me a cabin upgrade or OBC? Then you have something, but not this supposed upgrade of decks. I talk to the corporate vacation planner and they act all excited about being able to give me this "upgrade". I am sorry but it does little to excite me, nor does it feel like a sweet deal.
I have to agree with you on this one, upgrades are no big deal indeed! This is why I prefer to pick my cabin in a location I know is good and stick with it. I have been upgraded only to find I was in a less desirable location and noisy at that. I got a balcony on deck 8 of the Carnival Triumph only to find I was under the Lido deck pool area and was awakened early every morning to the sound of sliding chairs around the tables! That's why I will stick to what I know which is a cabin I like the price of and where I choose to be.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
First Mate

I agree. However, if you want to move me to a suite for the price of a balcony, that's great. I always book the room I want.

But, if it's free, it's for me!!!!!!!!!
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
First Mate

Default Upgrades

We once got an upgrade from a "fully blocked window" to a "partially blocked window". Wasn't that nice of the cruise line?
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Captain

We've never received an upgrade...but we do book Concierge Class. I guess the next up would be an AFT suite or Sky Suite (Celebrity).

I too think it would be nice to be rewarded. Since most pax are repeat cruisers...how about one every 5th cruise?

Something would be nice.

I wonder if, at the point of embarkation, could a pax ask for an upgrade? If there was one available, would it be less expensive than it would have been if originally booked?
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We were ``upgraded'' on a cruise for our one year wedding anniversary to a cabin where the beds could not be put together. Needless to say, I threw a fit and made them change that. They claimed the ship was full but managed to change it somehow.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Billbelt,

so what your saying is you paid for a fully blocked view and recieved only half a blocked view? SO you got only half of what you paid for! I'ld sue!
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!