Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Dayvid,

Although we don't always agree on some issues, I think you're "spot on" with your observation about being influenced by an external gratuity that the average person in the same category doesn't receive.

No matter how honest the person is, to be "given" something extra, especially if it's from an organization you already like anyway, is going to influence 99% of people to write something in the positive vein. And while they might consider their offering to be "only a little bit over the top" they nonetheless justify it by saying to themselves, "But they're so wonderful to me."

There are, however, always exclusions and that is the professional travel writer who writes for a living. Most such folks don't make that much and so their publishers often underwrite their ticket or failing that, the cruiseline will offer major incentives. But all sides know in such instances that these particular reviewers are professional and they will not be unduly influenced by "freebies." If they were, they also know folks would see through them and soon stop reading their stuff. Then if their publisher found out they were fudging, they'd be out a hell of a lot more than a free cruise. It's a system of checks and balances in such instances that, from what I have learned from writing a weekly newpaper column (even though I am not paid) for eleven years, works remarkably well. I'm only sorry I don't have the travel experience to be a travel writer!

I've only cruised RCL and not only that, only on one ship on the same itinerary twice and will be doing so again come June. Maybe I've been lucky but every crew or staff member I've personally run across on our two previous cruises has been unfailingly cheerful, approachable, friendly and industrious. But then maybe its my laid back attitude and the fact that I go out of my way to greet and in some way, recognize them for what often is, the most difficult job in the world; dealing with the public. While, as I so often point out, food is subjective, I've found it quite good with my only issue maybe being the cutback on the variations on todays menus.

Nonetheless if I do see something I don't like, you'll see it in my review. The last time it was actually the attitude of more than a few of the residents of the islands we visited that I personally found lacking -- not anything having to do with the ship or crew. At any rate, I call 'em as I see 'em.

Todd
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Captain

Sorry mom. My question was mostly directed towards the world at large, not you. It seems like such a simple A + B = C equation but you'd never know it by looking at the RC posts at CC.

And no, I am not a loyalist. This will be my first sailing on RCL.
I was just appalled at the meanspirited nature of CC when I joined a few months back and then to find out that some were being compensated to promote the company while tar and feathering posters w/ complaints --- ! --- well... it suddenly all made sense.

I have been outspoken about the need for transparency if this program is to continue. I have paid a price for those beliefs. I still get flamed over there just for being a Chump.

Lesson learned?

I have learned that people will go to great lengths to keep their free stuff!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Dayvid,

I think "RC" stands for Royal Champion.

Todd
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Given what I said above, do you reallly think I want to be an RC, whatever that is,,,mm not me

***edited by moderator***
No David I don't think you would and I seriously doubt you would find a 2 day cruise worth selling your principles either.

Please though no ugly abbreviations. I hate the one you used here. Royal Champions was abbreviated to RC on another thread here. (Royal commandos-on the RCI forum) I assumed you knew.

a lot of RCI fans who dislike the royal champion program are calling themselves Royal chumps now. I told them as I like cruising different lines that I am an equal opportunity cruiser/chump.
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Captain

RCI's use of paid plants on CC is so bad in so many ways. People who go to this site and CC THINK they are getting the unbiased opinions of experienced cruisers -- not paid endorsers. Turns out it isn't true for CC. This is close to fraud.

On another level, there is another problem. As mentioned above on this thread, other cruise lines and posters who say good things about them are now under suspicion for being paid endorsers as well. Earlier in this decade, I was able to catch some good cruise deals on Regent (then known as Radisson) and had some outstanding experiences with this line. As a result, I posted many favorable comments about my experiences, especially because there were "deals out there" on this lux line that made the total cost only slightly more than a mass market cruise. I swear that I never received anything from that line in exchange for my favorable comments. But I can understand that now, all such favorable posters, as I was for Regent, are now suspect.

On still another level, there is a thread on the RCI forum on this board, reporting how a member posted numerous threads on CC about this situation, and that the posts were all removed, and the member banned from CC. That same thread contains an email response from the administrator of CC that makes it clear that CC is supportive and protective of the RCI "paid plant", and is receiving compensation from RCI for doing so. So what we have here is a conspiracy involving CC, RCI and the paid plants to defraud CC readers who go there expecting unbiased opinions.

This is wrong on so many other levels, I don't know where to stop, so I'll stop here with the statement that, IMO, the credibility of CC has been destroyed.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Passenger

The sense I get from some of these posts is that people are shocked that this sort of blatant shill advertising is something new.

On Tripadvisor, some of the reviews are so obviously written by an employee of the hotel, it's laughable. Part of the "fun" is pointing out obvious negative inconsistencies that a poster claimed happened. Or, the review runs the other way, and is so positive it's ridiculous. If a site has advertising on it, you just know that the advertisers watch very carefully for anything negative about their product, and either rebutt it in the thread, or have the site administrators pull or delete the thread.

The only board I know where I get the straight info is Cheryl travel board...it's main focus is Sandals, but there are other forums for other hotels, other countries beside Jamaica, and even a forum on cruising. NO advertising allowed on Cheryl's site.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Captain

Oh, I think some of us mistakenly believed that CC (and other cruise boards) had some integrity. Now, we know, in the case of CC, it's not true. That's because CC is not only defending the practice, they are IN ON IT, and getting sa take from it.
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Admiral

babe ruth,

You probably are right when you say that other cruise boards may be so involved.

I'm just glad that this is not one. Some may ask, "How do you know?" Suffice it to say, I just do and it's not in the least difficult to prove it to yourself.

If you are a regular reader of these Boards, you will in many cases be generally able to ascertain just who the reviewer is.

I not only sign my full name to my review, I notice several of the others who post their reviews on this site do as well, if not with their review, at least with their pictures. In any event, many of us know each others usernames.

Then again, and even realizing that a lot of people post only if a cruise is either really good or really bad (though for me, I couldn't even imagine a "really bad cruise" although anything's possible), if there are an inordinate number of good reviews [/i]that contain virtually no negative commens AND the review is not from an admitted first time cruiser, then I would say there may well be a problem with that site.

Todd
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Admiral

To defend this board no one has offerred to pay me for my wonderful posts. No free cruises have been offered to me. The one reader review I submitted was posted without edits. Based on that I trust this site. Would I trade my intergrity for a two night cruise. Very doubtful.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Captain

You are correct, and over on the RCI forum on this board, there is a discussion of "disconnection" and "non-relationship" between this board and RCI. It is the direct relationship between CC and RCI that is the most disturbing to me. After all, some idiots may post any stupid thing on any given board, for any reason (including being paid for it). People cannot be controlied as to their stated opinions, whether genuine or not. But when a board like CC admits that it is in league with RCI, and deletes posts critical of paid posters, it is no longer a valid opinion board -- it is an advertisment!
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Default PLANTS

There are people out there who are so brand favorite that they can tell you exactly how many days they have cruised, what category they are in. that they have had lunch with the Captain (on his left side--no less).. and book no negative comments about "their cruise line".. Several years ago we went to our favorite resort and as usual I sent a review to Management.. head of posting it. with private negative comments about certain employees added at the bottom. Somebody who was at the exact resort the exact week so the resort as dirty, torn toys in the pool, etc, etc, Parrot Mom has always been honest, sometimes brutally.. and I know management of this chain apprecistes it.. they have told me so.. but as to being brand loyal to a fault.. I don't think so.. Have I written a cruise report on our latest cruise..no, I haven't..because it would take too long but I will answer honestly the good and the bad about the cruise, p orts, etc. I have nothing to gain or loose, but I can tell you I have personally been attacked several times on another board when I compare their "beloved Princess" to Celebrity..jezz
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a royal chump, this whole episode has opened my eyes, I now post on cruise mates and enjoy it. I am booked on the Carnival Dream and going to book on the NCL Epic.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Be honest all of you, if someone gave you something for nothing, treated you like "royalty" ,,,,,then you would all go for it.

Just learn to read the folks that have been "influenced" and take them for what they are
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Captain

Yes, I'll be honest! I wouldn't take money in a direct "pay for play" scheme (unless it were in seven figures, of course).

But when I look back on cruises past and recall the events on them, I begin to suspect that I received special attention from the senior crew on a certain line (not RCI) because I had written good reports on that line on cruise boards before. The special treatment could have been given with the expectation that I would write another glowing report. Then, certain qualities of the line began to slip. My posted comments became mixed between the great and not-so-great. The special treatment stopped.

So while it was not open "pay for play", I feel I was victimized by a similar scheme.
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Babe, it will not change. THE problem here is we have some that will admit they may have been influenced IN THE PAST, and accept what happened to them and say its now wrong.

Then again on a cruise board like this, you will have some (how far does that go) that have had so many FREEBIES or JUNKETS from lines that they have sold their soul, and in serious debate or critique regarding a line or ship cannot be taken seriously as they are SOOO PROTECTIVE.

I envy their "freebies", BUT I cannot take them or their opinion, cruise reviews etc with more than a pinch of salt, and to me that comes down to a basic thing, did you pay all youself or did you get it subsidised by the line or as a freebie for this opinion.

AS HONEST PEOPLE, they should explain that in the first line of their post.

Question: Do cruisemates staff, moderators or people involved with the site get free or discounted trips on some or all lines?
Old June 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Captain

David:

Let me make it clear that my original glowing reports on this line were written because the cruise was really that good! Nobody from the line influenced the reports. Then, the very friendly treatment from senior staff started -- and ended when I started to post that the line was slipping and I reported that too.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Babe, believe me I was not trying to get at you bud. I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY, experience of this and contribution on a subject most will disassociate themselves from if they have experienced or been part of it.

Bud, I am not accusing of being "influenced". It looks like you gave it "the opinion" for nothing, your experience,,,and they loved it, until you began to question...mmmm.

Amazing,,,or is it, that no-one so far has tried to defend that their opinion in a cruise review, line recommendation etc was not influenced because they got it subsidised or for free and that they still had their integrity of thought when writing said opinion, and even if they could be accused by some of taking the shekel for it.

It looks like it does not happen,,,ie opinion for some cannot be based on potentially "other things",,,amazing.

I would just like one of them, and they are out there, to be honest. As complete silence has its own interpretation in others who know that such things happen. So I have decided I want a bit of it, got to react to hard times

FOR SALE

One opinionated cruiser that is not shy on cruise boards. Gimme a free cruise (suite only) with all expenses paid, and I will write you reviews that will fill your ship.

I can do positive as well as negative. An example of this is when I led a campaign on cruise boards for people on ship not to look down on short people but to accept that they cannot always see the trays at the back of the buffet. A buffet that was fantastic (well done you), so to those others,,,dont spoil your experience because of short people in front of you dropping stuff off their tongs trying to reach to the back of the hot plates, you can rise above that.

Oh and we also had, because I'm short please dont stand on me in this big glass over the sea lift as being short and having vertigo is bad enough without you as a fellow passenger not seeing me, and standing all over me as if I was not there.

Oh, maybe height does not come into that one, especially in the lifts loading from the windjammer. Its like the nearest thing you will experience on board to a real life boat drill. People appearing from left and right, all gettting in the lift before you. You being the person that once stood there on your own, pressed the button and then after the glass box arrived and the doors opened to receive you, your now still standing there and not on the lift you called, thinking in a dazed sort of way.....what the F,,happenned there"

I can do this, the David reality to ship reviews
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Hey Dayvid,

Here's a plan for you where you can drink the drinks you really like or even dine in those specialty restaurants and not give a care about the price increases!

Do what my wife did. Get one of those hotel credit cards, charge everything you can on it (making sure you pay it off at the end of each month). After only two months, Fran got enough credit to pay for our motel room both too and from New York for our cruise. As a matter of fact, I'm writing this from the room right now. That's a savings of around $200! That'll sure buy more than a few mojitos.

Todd
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Hey Dayvid,

Here's a plan for you where you can drink the drinks you really like or even dine in those specialty restaurants and not give a care about the price increases!

Do what my wife did. Get one of those hotel credit cards, charge everything you can on it (making sure you pay it off at the end of each month). After only two months, Fran got enough credit to pay for our motel room both too and from New York for our cruise. As a matter of fact, I'm writing this from the room right now. That's a savings of around $200! That'll sure buy more than a few mojitos.

Todd
Todd, we flew to England on Delta skymiles from our AMX-it cost us $25! (booking fee)
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Admiral

I think everyone has there price. If Carnival came to me and said we will pay for a 12 day Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver for you if you say nice things about us. I could be bought. It's not a matter of if my intergrity is for sale; it's just a matter for hitting the right price. I promise if Carnival does give me a free Hawaiian cruise that I will include that fact in my review. Carnival can just shoot me a PM. Like I said earlier my intergrity is not for sell for a 2 day cruise. I'm a little more pricey than that.

I do have a cruise credit card and I purchase my cruises with points and money, however, since Bank of America is paying it doesn't affect my opinion of the cruise lines or my review.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Admiral

mmmmm, to lots of things
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM
First Mate

Default Reviews

Recently I have noted that "review sites" for hotels, restaurnats and cruise lines apparently have some of their employees to post glowing comments. According to a recent national article, the companies are attempting to offset negative comments which the companies don't agree with. I noted the article did not contend that the comments were incorrect, it was just the companies did not like to see the negative comments. I am always surprised when on the same cruise I was on some of the "reviews" I read have comments about that particular cruise that I never noticed. I assume the person was not on the cruise at all or that I just missed the event that the reviewer was discussing. As one writer has already posted, I usually toss out the really bad comments and the really good comments and see what is left. I agree with another writer that is not hard to spot the commenters who have been "planted".
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Jez Bill, you have had a real good go here on here with postings and I've read them all,,,welcome.

mmm
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Hey Dayvid,

Todd
We have flown to europe six times with businees class seats with Delta Skymiles, and we have another flight booked to Italy this coming september.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Default SORE SUBJECT

It is my honest believe that the "other" cruise board does protect certain cruise lines.. I've personally been involved.. when I posted negative comments about one line in particular...Advertising pays the bills. and they are possibly protecting their income..
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just found this thread and thought I would try to counter some of the misinformation in some of the posts.

I’m one of the original Royal Champions. The only involvement CC had was asking if it would be OK to supply RCI with contact information as RCI wanted to invite us to a Liberty preinaugural.
CC posters were not the only ones invited. Posters from other cruise boards and usenet sites were also invited.

We all paid our own way to Miami for 2 nights on the Liberty. We got the same thing as hundreds of Travel Agents and Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor members.

Onboard we attended a reception where we found out we were called Royal Champions. We were never told what or how to post or to post positive comments about RCI.

We went home and we all believed it was a one time thing.

We were then invited to NYC in June of 2008 for the unveiling of 2 more neighborhoods on the Oasis. Again, all travel and lodging was at our own expense.

Earlier this year, we were invited to the Oasis Aqua showcase in Fort Lauderdale at our expense.

So far, it’s cost us over $3K to attend the “free” things we’ve been invited to.

Royal Champion has been in my signature since we got off the Liberty 2 years ago.

You can read my posts and will find I defend the cruise industry as much as any one line.

We’ve sailed 30 times on RCI and one each on Celebrity, NCL, HAL, QM2, Hurtigruten, Crystal and 2 river cruises.

If you read them, you’ll find the tone of the posts of the Royal Champions didn’t change after the Liberty preinaugural. Most of us are not happy with the changes RCI have been making lately and have expressed that opinion.

RCI created a double edged sword as the people they picked are not afraid to express their opinion, good or bad. And, we sometimes do so directly to RCI management instead of posting anywhere.

Whether you believe me or not is immaterial. That’s the story as it happened.

About the issue of deleted posts. After the story broke, the Royal Champions were viciously attacked on the boards. I wish the posts had been left up so folks could have read them.

I’ll answer any questions the best I can.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Admiral

It's interesting to hear the other side of this story. Thank you for posting. To be sure I understand the airfare and hotel accomendations were out of pocket. But the 2 days was free. Did the ship go anywhere (like a 2 day cruise to nowhere) or was it docked the whole time. This is not an attack please don't take it that way. There was a lot of emotion surrounding this and I never got the whole story. It sounds like you just thought it was a loyalty package, but people thought you were being paid for your reviews. As a past guest on Carnival I have received free drinks and cruise pins, (after 10 cruises free laundry) no one has questioned my bias because of these past guest "gifts". Maybe this caused such a fuss because you were chosen and not all past guests were. Maybe some of the other Royal Champions became overly protective of Royal after that. Did you notice a change in the way some of the other Royal Champions were posting? I only pop by CC when I have a active roll call, most times I just hang here. So I didn't see any of the CC postings people were talking about.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I think everyone has there price. If Carnival came to me and said we will pay for a 12 day Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver for you if you say nice things about us. I could be bought. It's not a matter of if my intergrity is for sale; it's just a matter for hitting the right price. I promise if Carnival does give me a free Hawaiian cruise that I will include that fact in my review. Carnival can just shoot me a PM. Like I said earlier my intergrity is not for sell for a 2 day cruise. I'm a little more pricey than that.

I do have a cruise credit card and I purchase my cruises with points and money, however, since Bank of America is paying it doesn't affect my opinion of the cruise lines or my review.
well Cruisermeg who posts on the Royal Commandos thread of the RCI board here-was willing to give Carnival a try-as she had felt she had had the wool pulled over her eyes by RCI royal champions (RC's). What she discovered was she liked RCI better. but she was fair, she said the carnival ship was an older ship, and she may would feel differently on a newer Carnival ship. she also said that the price was very good, she still felt she got her money's worth. She just would have been willing to spend more for something she would enjoy more.
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
It's interesting to hear the other side of this story. Thank you for posting. To be sure I understand the airfare and hotel accomendations were out of pocket. But the 2 days was free. Did the ship go anywhere (like a 2 day cruise to nowhere) or was it docked the whole time. This is not an attack please don't take it that way. There was a lot of emotion surrounding this and I never got the whole story. It sounds like you just thought it was a loyalty package, but people thought you were being paid for your reviews. As a past guest on Carnival I have received free drinks and cruise pins, (after 10 cruises free laundry) no one has questioned my bias because of these past guest "gifts". Maybe this caused such a fuss because you were chosen and not all past guests were. Maybe some of the other Royal Champions became overly protective of Royal after that. Did you notice a change in the way some of the other Royal Champions were posting? I only pop by CC when I have a active roll call, most times I just hang here. So I didn't see any of the CC postings people were talking about.

It was a 2 night cruise 2 nowhere out of Miami. I'm Diamond Plus with RCI and any D+ with enough credits also get invited to preinaugurals.
We got nothing more than any TA, corporate sponsor or D+ that was invited.

We really never had any idea nor were we ever told why we were invited.
There were hints it was how we posted, but it was never clear until the viral marketing story broke. We were also never given any instructions on how or what to post.

Some of the folks that were spreading rumors about the RCs were one time frequent posters on CC that turned bitter bcause they weren't picked to be an RC and thought they deserved it more than some that were. One of them is posting here and tends to attack some of my posts even now.

There are always folks that want to believe the worst, so all the RCs were lying about getting paid. There was no truth to the widely reported "facts" we were all getting free cruises and going to cocktail parties with RCI management. As always, nobody cared to check the real facts as the lies fit what many wanted to be true.

I can tell you the RCs I know and communicate with frequently didn't change how they posted. We're opinionated enough a 2 night PI wouldn't influence us. We were mostly supportative of RCI before that and continued to be after. We still let them know anything we thought they were doing wrong or could do better.

Here's my honest reaction (and mine only, I don't speak for any of the other RCs). I'm 67 years old, newly diabetic with arthritis. I was just in the ER 3 times in the last 6 weeks. The last for an irregular heartbeat that we have under control for now.

Anything RCI wants to give me, I'll take. A B2B on the Oasis would be just fine.

I've been to a 2 night PI on the Liberty, a media event in NYC and an Aqua Theater event in Fort Lauderdale. What happens next, we have no idea.

That's the story from my perspective.
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Admiral

I would have taken it if Carnival offerred me a 2 night cruise to no where out of LA or San Francisco. Because I could drive to port. It wouldn't have changed my posts at all. There is a TA in my office and she has gone to some of these types of things. I think RCL should have been honest with you in the beginning. But I don't blame you for taking free stuff. I got my Mcdonald free mocha today, I got my free KFC meal today. I would do it again. BTW KFC staff was rude and dumped cole slaw liquid in my mash potatoes. See I can still be honest.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994