CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Which is worst? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/362226-worst.html)

katlady March 10th, 2009 09:56 AM

Which is worst?
 
Okay I have noticed everytime someone posts about bad mannered kids. Someone else posts how they don't mind the kids it's the drunk adults that bug them. So here is you chance, which drives you more crazy? You are voting for the one you would NOT want on your cruise.

Choice A
Misbehaving child in the hot tubs, running around the dining room, and pushing all the buttons on the elevator then jumping out just as the door closes?

Choice B
Drunk guy (yes I may him male) with foul language ordering another drink while hitting on the cocktail waitress?

shoreguy March 10th, 2009 11:09 AM

I voted for the kid. At least the drunk guy is easier to avoid as he tends to stay in one spot and not run all over the ship.

green_rd March 10th, 2009 11:25 AM

I voted with Shoreguy. Hopefuly the drunk guy will regret it tomorrow but the misbehaving kid will continue to misbehave.

colorcrazie March 11th, 2009 02:54 PM

I went with drunk guy. He can knock me over easier than the kid and also I've been stalked on one cruise by a drunk man...never by a kid!
LOL :shock:
Marty

Islandbear March 13th, 2009 12:44 PM

The drunk guy is most likely the misbehaving kid's dad!

Rude is just plain rude no matter who does it. Adults need to act like adults, even on vacation, and that includes taking care of their children. People that go on a cruise ship that holds 3000 people should expect to run into a few children and parents should use vacations to bond with their kids, not let them run wild.

mrrobb March 13th, 2009 02:55 PM

I voted for miisbehaving kid, especialy if it isnt one of mine. The drunk guy can be easier taken care of so to speak. If he becomes too loud and aggressive, I'm pretty sure someone would put him in his place, or better yet, lock him in his room.
I imagine both choices could be very annoying. But you cant let a pest ruin your fun relaxing vacation..

Pattizoo March 13th, 2009 05:59 PM

I vote for the rude kid. I raised my kids, with decent manners, no less. I don't need to spend my vacation putting up with someone else's brat. (Well behaved children are an entirely different matter. What a wonderful opportunity they are being given to expand their horizons- and they know it.) The drunk, someone will deal with him. And he won't have mommy and daddy jumping in to defend their little angel. The cocktail waitress can always call security if he gets too out of hand, or someone like my husband will speak nicely to him once, then call security the second time.

misguidedangel March 14th, 2009 02:44 PM

I go with the spoiled rotten, mommy/daddy isn't going to do anything, misbehaving child....

I have firsthand experience with three kids in the dining room who were out of control and NONE of the parents would do anything, until one of the kids started beating another up and even then it was just to break it up...

A drunk guy can be obnoxious, but you can get him to go somewhere else easy enough, a misbehaving kid is not so easy to deal with becaue they have parents who likely think their child is a saint and a little angel.....ya an angel with a halo that shattered and was glued back together only to shatter again!

Manuel March 15th, 2009 02:36 AM

I have no use for people who can't drink responsibly.

TM

Paul B March 15th, 2009 01:11 PM

The kid, the kid, the kid.

CruiserEK March 16th, 2009 07:18 PM

I choose none of the above. I believe that a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser is the worst to be with or even near. A drunk guy or a misbehaving child you may only see once and never again during a cruise. Dealing with a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser can leave a bad taste in your mouth for the remainder of the cruise, especially if you got into an argument with one of them.

katlady March 17th, 2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiserEK
I choose none of the above. I believe that a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser is the worst to be with or even near. A drunk guy or a misbehaving child you may only see once and never again during a cruise. Dealing with a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser can leave a bad taste in your mouth for the remainder of the cruise, especially if you got into an argument with one of them.

Details please. There is a lot of difference bewteen rude, nasty, and arrogant. Depending on the person nasty could be fun. :wink: Did you have a personal experience that would help to create a picture of this person?

DayvidB March 17th, 2009 04:26 PM

Drunks as an adult I can deal with, me and them as adults. I can try to talk to them, I can try to calm the scenario, I can react verbally, and if they go over board in how they present themselves, then I can stick one on their chin,,,happy, sorted. They are adults

Cheeky Bstard children, I walk away and blood pressure rising. They have been taught to be so open and are now mini-people in some peoples eyes :shock: :shock: That one, gets me

one,, I cant discuss it with them, my thought process,. They are children, not mine, and I would never try to justify my adult opinion or thought process to a child

and two

I cant give them a good kick up the arse when they go past the point of acceptance for most adults. Kick up the *** being even talking and saying NO

Thats most adults problem when dealing either at home or on a ship with other peoples kids.

Change the laws that take social responsibility and PC reactions away and let me kick one of these little S*its up the A*rse. Plus drag their parents across and give them the book that has never been published regarding how to bring up children.

Seen a lot of sad things in my life, but the saddest has got to be adults pressurised into a scenario that they cannot chastise a child and the child takes the upper hand due to threatened "legal" action..mmm

When will someone come up with such a plan or law that protects us, the adult from these little sh*ts

vent over

Paul B March 17th, 2009 05:24 PM

David, could you please tell us what you really think! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CruiserEK March 18th, 2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiserEK
I choose none of the above. I believe that a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser is the worst to be with or even near. A drunk guy or a misbehaving child you may only see once and never again during a cruise. Dealing with a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser can leave a bad taste in your mouth for the remainder of the cruise, especially if you got into an argument with one of them.

Details please. There is a lot of difference bewteen rude, nasty, and arrogant. Depending on the person nasty could be fun. :wink: Did you have a personal experience that would help to create a picture of this person?

The rude, nasty, and arrogant people that I'm talking about are the ones who hog seats (i.e. deck chairs, show lounge seats, etc.), the ones that are loud (except for the sports bar or during a sports game viewing), the ones who cut in line or the ones who save someones place in a line, the ones who yell at you for being in their way even when they can go around you, the people who block pathways, and the people who get in your face when you politely ask them a simple request.

I've haven't had any major personal experiences. But the amount of rude, nasty, and arrogant people I have had to see and deal with on a cruise exceeds the amount of misbehaving children and drunks combined. There was at least one major event that occurred with my mother. She had an arguement with one of them on the last cruise that we went on. I don't know exactly what went on because I wasn't there. This is what I heard from my mom and another witness. Early in the cruise my mother and a few other people were waiting to get a deck chair as the staff was arranging them on the deck. All of the sudden, another woman came by and decided that she was going to take and move a few of these chairs for herself to save, including one of the chairs that my mother was about to take. My mother tried to intervene and attempted to move back one of the chairs and possibly tell her that she couldn't save chairs. After my mom did that, the other woman flipped out and started arguing with her. After the argument was broken up by security, they went their separate ways. However, for the remainder of the cruise, some of the other members in my family were on the lookout for the other woman so there wouldn't be another argument. There were a few close encounters with the woman through the remainder of the cruise.

katlady March 18th, 2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiserEK
Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiserEK
I choose none of the above. I believe that a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser is the worst to be with or even near. A drunk guy or a misbehaving child you may only see once and never again during a cruise. Dealing with a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser can leave a bad taste in your mouth for the remainder of the cruise, especially if you got into an argument with one of them.

Details please. There is a lot of difference bewteen rude, nasty, and arrogant. Depending on the person nasty could be fun. :wink: Did you have a personal experience that would help to create a picture of this person?

The rude, nasty, and arrogant people that I'm talking about are the ones who hog seats (i.e. deck chairs, show lounge seats, etc.), the ones that are loud (except for the sports bar or during a sports game viewing), the ones who cut in line or the ones who save someones place in a line, the ones who yell at you for being in their way even when they can go around you, the people who block pathways, and the people who get in your face when you politely ask them a simple request.

I've haven't had any major personal experiences. But the amount of rude, nasty, and arrogant people I have had to see and deal with on a cruise exceeds the amount of misbehaving children and drunks combined. There was at least one major event that occurred with my mother. She had an arguement with one of them on the last cruise that we went on. I don't know exactly what went on because I wasn't there. This is what I heard from my mom and another witness. Early in the cruise my mother and a few other people were waiting to get a deck chair as the staff was arranging them on the deck. All of the sudden, another woman came by and decided that she was going to take and move a few of these chairs for herself to save, including one of the chairs that my mother was about to take. My mother tried to intervene and attempted to move back one of the chairs and possibly tell her that she couldn't save chairs. After my mom did that, the other woman flipped out and started arguing with her. After the argument was broken up by security, they went their separate ways. However, for the remainder of the cruise, some of the other members in my family were on the lookout for the other woman so there wouldn't be another argument. There were a few close encounters with the woman through the remainder of the cruise.

I know these people, I agree with you I should have added them to the list. We had one at the "Legends" show on our last cruise. The "Legends" show is the one on Carnival were the passengers perform. I really like to cheer them on, because it takes a lot of guts to do that. This older woman was with her husband in the seats in front of us. Everytime we would cheer she would cover her ears, until finally she got up and picked a fight with my sister and this nice lady we had met in Karaoke. The rude older woman stomped off, her husband stayed (I thought that was interesting). I don't believe we did anything wrong. I doubt the passenger performing wanted to sing thier songs in complete slience. Had it been me I would want the audience cheering me on.

The next day at the breakfast buffet I got in line; the husband and woman were in front of me. She didn't know me from the night before. She didn't aruge with me directly. She left her husband alone in line to get her food. He and I chatted, he was a really nice guy, I feel bad for him, he deserves better.

Mike M March 18th, 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiserEK
I choose none of the above. I believe that a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser is the worst to be with or even near. A drunk guy or a misbehaving child you may only see once and never again during a cruise. Dealing with a rude, nasty, and arrogant cruiser can leave a bad taste in your mouth for the remainder of the cruise, especially if you got into an argument with one of them.

EK,

I'm with you.

I did vote for the drunk guy. I give kids more slack than adults who should know better. I have no problem with someone drinking. It's when they get obnoxious, loud and confrontational is when I have a problem.

Take care,
Mike

DayvidB March 20th, 2009 04:50 PM

Fair enough and I wish I had your patience. But personally I get more wound up on a cruise by other people’s children than I do by adults.
And it will manifest its self in all sort of places, I am so pleased Mike that you never experienced this.
My favourite is children in the dining room being treated as adults on a shared table, ie they talk a load of Sh*t to me and the parents expect me to react and "talk to the little person" in a sort of "equal" way and attitude.
Excuse me, but I was talking to an adult on a subject to another adult, and you just let your child chip in, give an opinion and you expect me to

1/ Accept the ignorance of your child interrupting me
2/ Respond to said child as an equal
3/ Expect when talking to adults, children seen and not heard unless talking with or dealing with their own parents, works every time

The debate is flawed as both are problems and one not better than the other for most folks

thecruisequeen March 20th, 2009 07:54 PM

I voted for B....The Drunk Guy

So far what I have come across with kids while cruising is teenagers hanging out at the stairs, twice I walked into an elevator with all the buttons pressed, and once kids were hogging up the hottub however I went in there anyway and a few of them left....I guess they did not want to hang around with a old lady like myself... LOL :twisted: :o
So far none of these issues were enough to bother me. We shall see what the future cruises hold and if there is an issue with a kid that would make me change my vote to A. So far so good.

Now last months we were at Bolero's it was 1am the crowd was fun the band was great and many people dancing. Here comes the drunk to start trouble...he said something to a girl on the dance floor and touched her arm....well she was dancing with her BF. Words were exchanged and then punches started flying. :shock: Fellow cruisers broke up the fight. Security got there and had to get everyone's side of the story. Meanwhile there are the folks at Bolero's that were enjoying the nite now the nite was cut short for Cruisers because of a stupid drunk guy.
The band stopped playing and it was called a nite meanwhile if the drunk did not start trouble the normal closing time is 2am. So the Drunk took 1 hour of our dancing, drinking and chatting with fellow cruisers away from us.

I hate drunks that can't control themselves. :roll: :x

And that was the First time a saw a fight on a cruise.

Oh and while the fight was going on there was a painting there that was knocked over I was hoping it was damaged so the drunk can pay for it. :twisted:

WildRover March 20th, 2009 09:29 PM

I don't know.
I like to people watch and a drunk guy can be more entertaining than someones' little precious.

Yeah, I vote A --- the kid.

namvet4 March 22nd, 2009 09:11 AM

A misbehaving child mimics their environment and upbringing. Frankly, the child might be the offspring of drunken parents who are so self absorbed that they fail to exercise their parental responsibility.

The issue with a drunk can best be served by alerting a member of the cruise staff to intervene. The issue with a child is complicated by what others have stated concerning being "PC" and the potential legal issues.

I have, and will probably continue to have, experience with drunks and children behaving badly in public. The experience is magnified by the confined environment of a cruise ship. I look forward to the poster who supplies the best answer on how to handle the issue!

DayvidB March 30th, 2009 03:39 PM

Namvet4, as you say the best deal is to alert crew when either adults or children are so in your face by action that they are beginning to affect your cruise experience and enjoyment.

People should not have to live with some child’s "experience" or another adult’s “experience” when either is being "obnoxious" towards others.

But, if the passengers ignore it, grumble to themselves, and then just talk behind people’s backs.... then you can bet the line will do the same thing.

However, if people don’t ignore it and say something formal to the line, you can bet the line will take action on said person(s). They will not allow the minority to spoil it for the majority as after all potentially they are next year’s customers.

Problem is and either adult or child, other people watch it, experience it, and then walk away. There is the problem, by ignoring or not wanting to “get involved”. It gives free reign to those that do things others would not accept socially or want to experience at home or at sea.

They have the balls to do it, create "this experience for others" and what they do is so bad at home most normal people would not put up with it

But unfortunately those that would "normally" criticise them don’t have the balls to stand up to them by even reporting them to the ships authority.

So, they win, they will keep going and keep doing it, the other passengers that don’t like it… slope off with a memory of this cruise, and showing no balls in that they could not even talk to the desk about their concerns or experience,,sad.

Maybe if more griped at the cruise desk about said adults and children, then there would be less of them to gripe about on here.

It's the majority handing the initiative to the minority, as they are scared to "say" something or react

Thats the saddest bit

jmaul99 April 6th, 2009 12:17 PM

I also vote for NEITHER. To me the most annoying are the ones that constantly complain. Your there to have a good time and this person is complaining about the staff, ports, food etc. and ruining your good mood. Your on vacation just roll with the minor issues that happen and have fun. These people bring everyone else down and are harder to avoid than the rude kid or the drunk guy because they aren't breaking any rules and the cruise staff can do nothing about it. They can find the kids parents or make the drunk guy go back to his room.

DayvidB April 8th, 2009 03:39 PM

Agreed on people that no matter what the ship, the line, the hotel, the supermarket presents to them as people as service, THEY WILL STILL FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. They are a major pain in the butt, plus they want and expect EVERYONE to listen to their complaint,,,mmmm.

So, what in real life makes these people happy?

Things and actions I see from others can annoy me on a cruise, but a moaner that I think has no basis on said moan bothers me even more.

They will always moan no mattter what life presents to them, and that could be other people or "anything". But they miss what we should moan about in society,,,and thats todays "normal" people", living and reacting in their ignorance of others lifes, ie ignoring other folks and think

I paid, and do what I like on here

I paid, so I dress or act how I like

I paid, I dont care what you think of me, I dont know you, so I dont care.

So more and more we get I'M All RIGHT and people thinking we only care about ME or US, why should I / we consider your thoughts or expectation of me in this scenario?

worthew8 April 8th, 2009 05:42 PM

I voted 'the kid'. Being an ex-bartender, I always found a way to deal with a drunk guy. They weren't too happy when I refused service.

Besides, I could hit a drunk guy upside the head and he wouldn't remember it the next day. Kids would call the cops.

LOL

thasic April 9th, 2009 03:27 AM

Wow, that's a tough call but I gotta go with the kid. The drunk is a lot easier to avoid, he will eventually pass out, he will probably spend most of the next day sleeping it off and eventually he will sober up again. The kid is likely to be a brat for the entire trip.

Personally, I haven't had any run-ins with bad kids. For the most part all the kids on the cruises I've been on have been fairly well behaved. I might just have a higher tolerance (or some of the complaining folks may have no tolerance?!?) and I don't have near the crusie experience a lot of the regulars here seem to have, but I have no problem with the kids I've cruised alongside. Some of the adults however.....

fortyluv April 15th, 2009 11:05 AM

The unruly child every time. I don't drink but I would rather put up with a drunk anytime. At least they are entertaining.

Surfguyxxx1 June 30th, 2009 06:13 PM

My vote is to rid myself of the drunkard! The kid you can trip as he/she runs through the dining room and apologize. No wait, I don't have to apologize to an obnoxious screaming running brat.

Captain Tennille July 1st, 2009 03:41 AM

Being a large dude, and former club bouncer in my younger days, I can scare the crap out of little brats and handle the drunks (I haven't met a drunk who can fight well, yet still they fight)....

so my vote is for the arrogant cruiser described above.

Fisherlady48 July 1st, 2009 02:59 PM

I vote for the child, then the obnoxious person who always seems to be on the same tour bus as me or sometimes cuts in front of me in line. Or better still is that same person who races me to the red light!!

You get the drift. The joy of a cruise ship is that most are now so large you rarely see the same people twice. How sad that some have now had to be "on the lookout" for some people to avoide a fight. That is no way to live or cruise..

Happy sailing.

K

oh, and children if you are reading or better still to the Parents of the child you know who you are, I will drop kick your child when no one can see me, and I have "that" look that no child wants to see.. so beware!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1