Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Passenger

Default Scariest experiences onboard a ship

This is not so much a gripe since it was not the cruiseline or any of the passengers at fault.

In 2006 my husband and I took a honeymoon cruise on RCL's Monarch of the Seas and we had to tender in Catalina. By the time we were to return to the ship, the ferry could not come for us because the waters were too choppy and there were fierce winds. So we waited in line on Catalina for 2 hours for the ferry to come back for us.

So we get on the ferry and it was TERRIFYING. The ferry was being tossed around like a toy. My husband and I were holding onto each other for dear life. At one point, one of the light fixtures fell down and the whole ferry goes black.

Finally, we get to the ship and the ferry has to align itself with the gangplank so we can get on. The problem was that the gangplank was swaying back and forth due to the high winds. So we could see the crew waiting for us, and they could see us, be we could not get off the ferry. In the meantime, the ferry is rocking back and forth and smashing into the side of the ship.

I sincerely thought we were going to die that night. People were screaming and crying and the ferry crew was trying to calm us but there was nothing short of panic on that ferry. So finally they were able to take us, one at a time, up the gangplank to the ship. That was the longest walk of my life. It had to be no more than a five foot walk, but the gangplank was swaying the whole time and the waves were crashing up against the ship so loudly it was deafening. So I get across and look back and see my husband still on the ferry. He had to wait until they could steady the gangplank again. Finally, he got on too. I nearly kissed the floor when he got across.

So now whenever I see an itinerary that says "tendered" instead of "docked," I go "no buddy."
Carnival Imagination, April 24, 2009...
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

We had similar experience on a few cruises to Cabo San Lucas but not as scary. The seas were so choppy we had to wait till a wave came in which made the tender ship go up even with the gangway then jump across! To this day we don't now how they got the wheelchair ppl on board. I can say the crew were all very concerned with our safety and very helpful. Another incident was during uneventful weather, in fact, it was beautiful out and we were walking up the gangway coming back from town when a lady in front of us looked down to get her ID or something out of her bag, she slipped and fell in the water betweent the ship and the dock. As quick as that happened, three crew members jumped in after her! So they are there to protect and help us.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Captain

My scariest story is when they try to make me get off the ship at the end of the cruise. Sad to say but there is yelling, swearing and crying. Not pretty. :evil:

You're right, though. The crew is always ready to help. They even told me to come again, which is why I do.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
First Mate

We were on our way to Puerto Rico, my husband was mixing a drink, and I was on the verandah. Suddenly, all the drawers in the bureaus were opening and slamming shut and I ran inside and said, hey, what's happening?" My husband looked out the window and all he saw was water. The tv slid off the shelf and went flying across the room. Well, the ship had hit a wave and we listed.
A little scary. No one got hurt but could have been for sure. Ugh.
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
First Mate

We were on our way to Puerto Rico, my husband was mixing a drink, and I was on the verandah. Suddenly, all the drawers in the bureaus were opening and slamming shut and I ran inside and said, hey, what's happening?" My husband looked out the window and all he saw was water. The tv slid off the shelf and went flying across the room. Well, the ship had hit a wave and we listed.
A little scary. No one got hurt but could have been for sure. Ugh.

Susie, that is scary, especially when it came unexpected.

I hope he saved the drink!

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
First Mate

What on earth could surpass the absolute fear of expectation of having to consume the remains of the Baked Alaska throttled through the dinning room?
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

We have taken 4 of those 4 days that include Catalina. On one of these cruise the captain made the decision to skip Catalina that day and make it a sea day instead. He came back to it after Enseneda. The Captain felt the waters were to rough for tendering. I thought he made a smart decision. After the annoncement was made I heard a male passenger saying it doesn't good that rough I can tender in this weather. He was an idiot, just because he felt he could have doesn't mean it's safe for everyone. The captain is concerned with everyone's safety. He also knew the weather report and that the wind would increase later in the day. He made a good decsion I supported it than and after hearing your story I'm glad he stuck to his guns.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
First Mate

the drink was saved. good save.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Once I thought I was late for dinner. That was pretty scary. Lobster was on the menu!
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Captain

FIFTY foot waves on the Vision's first "Route of the Norsemen" crossing in '98.

OK we weren't scared but half of the crew was down and some folks even slept in public areas in their lifejackets. we were having too much fun to be afraid but the Captain did a wonderful job going through 2 large systems that came together off the coast of Canada.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Robbie, we were on that same cruise. As I remember, we had 40 foot waves for four days and 55 foot waves on the worst day when the wind was at 80 knots. We were in an outside room on deck 4 about 40 feet above the water, and the waves hit above our window every one of those nights.

The window in a cabin three away from ours was knocked in on one of those nights and the two British ladies were temporarily trapped in their cabin. The crew put a patch over the window, and the cabin insides were completely rebuilt in three days.

Captain Bang never left the bridge for three days at the worst, and did a wonderful job getting the ship through the bad weather. Each night we would tell us to " take your pills." I enjoyed that cruise a lot more than my wife did, but neither of us got seasick.
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In all my cruises I have never had a really scary moment TG. But on the cruise I just returned from we were in a small boat with a 1A ice-class hull and we were streaming through an ice floe. We were in the island chain Svalbard which is as far north as you can get in the world, about 79-degree lat. The thing is that we were breaking through ice and there were no other ships in the area. "if" we hit something bigger than we expected we would have been out in the cold for a very long time before we were rescued.

The next day we anchored in an inlet and we went in Zodiacs to explore some arctic glaciers. We actually got soaking wet in the skiffs in sub-freezing temps plus winds up to 70 knots. I thought I was going to freeze up like an ice cube. That was my worst day on a cruise ship ever.

Monte Carlo is famous for ships letting people off on tenders and then the weather coming up in the afternoon. On Grand Princess I saw a tender rope actually break while they were trying to lift people onboard.

The funny about it is - people think of cruising as a "soft" vacation. It seems to me they forget how real it is to be in the middle of the ocean floating in a big mass of steel.
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Well, I can't top 40 foot waves, but I think everyone cak admit that getting their onboard charges bill at the end of the cruise is pretty scary--it is for me considering my bill for the Triumph Sept 07 was $2200!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Admiral

I always have the purser print out my bill the day before. On some ships, you can view it on your TV.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Does getting off a military ship in Cam Rhan Bay, Vietnam as jets were bombing in the backgrund count as a scary moment?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Beginner

Ok so I have two stories:

I remember sailing a while ago on the Big Red Boat. While at dinner the ship made a sudden sharp turn which caused several of the dining decorations to fall on people (the styrafoam pillers and flower arrangements). It was seriously scary because the turn was so sharp that you couldn't really stand upright. neddless to say everyone panicked and ran for life jackets and old lady even tried to get out of her wheelchair ! well it turned out that A man who got in an argument with his wife jumped overboard. Somehow they managed to find him.

I don't remember this next story very well because I was pretty young, but while we were traveling to Mexico a graduating senior mixed drinks with pills and passed out near the elevators, they tried to revive her right there with cpr etc. and couldn't. She overdosed, her heart stopped and she passed away. Her parents were devastated. They flew them and the body away on a helicopter. it was very tragic
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

mine was a fun scary. i was below passenger deck with a crew member friend of mine. i was given another crew members name tag to wear while i explored. being in various places on the ship i shouldnt be, it was just the idea of getting caught that made it scary... ahhh good times

Old July 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Captain

Allycat 1913, sorry to hear of your experience. That sounds frightning. Would NOT have liked to have been in your shoes.