Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Katlady, you crack me up babe! I was nearly in tears with your reply.

BTW, maybe those healthy types have muscles, but we have mass and lots of it!
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Greedy cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allycat1913
I just got back from the Carnival Imagination to Nassau yesterday. It disgusted me to see how the passengers acted at the buffets. I saw people getting six cheeseburgers, this one guy who must have put 25 (so not kidding) pancakes on his plate, and the people at dinner who had to always order two of everything----appetizers, entrees and desserts.

I mean, I know we pay for the food, but really, filling an entire plate up with bacon is just wasteful and greedy. And having the kids watching and doing the same thing is just wrong...

Other than that, I had a GREAT TIME on my FUNSHIP vacation!
Many cruisers go as a family and I have seen many times just one person from the group go to get food and bring it back to the table for everyone to share, so don't be too quick to judge.

I too hate seeing food wasted, that being said though there are many items on a menu I have never tried so I will try them and if I don't like them I don't eat them.

As for getting two deserts, appetizers or en tree's just remember that portions are generally small in the dining room and for some of us big eaters if we ordered one of each we would still be hungry. The Lobster tails are very small, if you like lobster then I am sure you double up on them every time, I know I do.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old May 14th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Captain

Interesting thread.

At a micro-level, how is taking a plate full of bacon wasteful? It isn't as if the ship is going to reuse the bacon .... everything in the bin is either taken or thrown away. I guess you could argue that if everybody only took whatever amount you deem "correct" they would load less on the ship .. but that is getting nebulous IMO. Seems to me the relevant point is all buffet food is either *taken*or pitched. It is a wash as far
as "waste" is concerned.

At a macro-level, it occurs to me that the very act of first-world people even taking a cruise is wasteful in the sense being argued here. Just like the heaped bacon, the "heaped" dollars spent on a cruise could be used for much better things, at least in the eyes of people who like to judge how others use or "waste" valuable resources.

Just food (so to speak) for thought.

Cheers, Aidan
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
Katlady, you crack me up babe! I was nearly in tears with your reply.

BTW, maybe those healthy types have muscles, but we have mass and lots of it!
You crack me up to. I'm not afraid to throw my mass around. I like to dance, clear a space I'm coming on to the dance floor.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I have to say I too have seen such behavior both on the ship and on land and it is disgusting.

I just can't see why someone has to take everything there and put it on his/her plate. I could never do that........................................unless of course it was snowcrab or lobster and then sports fans, there's a whole different set of rules!

Todd
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Beginner

I'm on weightwatchers and so I definitely look around to see what other people are eating. But I don't fill my plate except with salad and a few choice bites (not even servings) of things I want to taste.

At the end of the day, it is their life and their choice. But I don't think food should be wasted regardless unless the person doesn't like it. We also have to remember that people are on vacation and do let themselves do things they might not otherwise do. So for this, I give most people a pass, assuming that they are just indulging themselves and do not always behave in this way. However, being rude to others behind you in line, by taking the last 10 pancakes, is not acceptable.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Admiral

I exercise at least an hour a day, and I eat a lot of food. However, I don't put anything on my plate that I don't plan to consume.

It is no other person's business how much or what I eat, and it is not my business what someone else does. We should try to improve ourselves rather than complain about others.

I have looked and looked, but still have not seen a new star in the east.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Default Food for thought?

Although I agree to not wasting food, what happens if the food you selected tastes like shi*p*? pun intended

Old May 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

If it doesn't taste good, don't eat it. Not like they are going to give what is left on your plate to someone who needs it! Once it is cooked and presented, it is going to either go to waste or waist.
Marty
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Some people take everything they can at a buffet. I remember in the 60's my family went to an inn that featured a smorgasbord. A whole group of us went for the dinner and an evening of dancing at the inn. After dinner we all settled down to enjoy the music. One of our neighbors that came with us got up from the table and went back to the smorgasbord. To our embarrassment she took a roll of aluminum foil from her purse. She then filled up packets of cheese and cold cuts.The next day we were invited to her house for lunch........any guesses as to what was served?

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Laura,

Some folks just shouldn't go out in public..

Todd
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allycat1913
I just got back from the Carnival Imagination to Nassau yesterday. It disgusted me to see how the passengers acted at the buffets. I saw people getting six cheeseburgers, this one guy who must have put 25 (so not kidding) pancakes on his plate, and the people at dinner who had to always order two of everything----appetizers, entrees and desserts.

I mean, I know we pay for the food, but really, filling an entire plate up with bacon is just wasteful and greedy. And having the kids watching and doing the same thing is just wrong...

Other than that, I had a GREAT TIME on my FUNSHIP vacation!

I too hate seeing food wasted, that being said though there are many items on a menu I have never tried so I will try them and if I don't like them I don't eat them.
I will try things off the buffet I have never eaten also-but to prevent waste-I get a small amount-if I like it-I go back for more.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
The next day we were invited to her house for lunch........any guesses as to what was served?

Laura
That is such a funny story.
A friend of mine Donna, often does something similiar when she hosts the local bookclub. Wendy, Chubbas and I have often commented on it.
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

"Wendy, Chubbas and I have often commented on it",,,,I'll bet they do, Ehhhh. Go on admit it, you have been nominated as my 2009 wind up person.

Which soap are we in here right now, I cant make up my mind if its Gilmore or Desperate
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
"Wendy, Chubbas and I have often commented on it",,,,I'll bet they do, Ehhhh. Go on admit it, you have been nominated as my 2009 wind up person.

Which soap are we in here right now, I cant make up my mind if its Gilmore or Desperate
It seems a whole lot of people agree with you here.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Captain

The bottom line is...where ever there is a buffet, people will over eat. Maybe not overeat-just take way too much. Doesn't matter if it's a cruise ship. hotel, restaurant. AI, family picnic. Some people just have no control-it's a hoarding thing. I was once in a buffet behind an obese man who had 2 plates piled high with food. I casually asked if he was planning on hibernating-the guy gave me a really puzzled look. He had NO idea what I was talking about. I've just learned to ignore the terrible waste. It's hard but I won't let it ruin my cruise.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Okay before I start on my reaction CM moderator folks,,, I am attempting to write this the best way I can without upsetting you or other CM dudes.

No personal attack, just an opinion on fat, greedy. ignorant passengers that just happen to walk down the same corridors as the rest of us when on a ship.

This is a ship announcement, You may be a fat, greedy and selfish person, but you can leave that behind on here and you may be the sort of person that will kill for the last buffalo wing on the hot plate. On here this is not a competition, nor will you starve, but by denying others, they will just think of you as

A FAT GREEDY B….. oh you are wasting my cruise and everywhere I go I will always see you.

In fact I will go as far as saying that for all sorts of reasons people will do or react like that, and not just food.

On my last cruise I loved the under cover pool area, did I do it everyday,,NO,,as there was a pain in the ass couple that from x hour would be in there and just wind me up by their actions

Who was wrong them or me. Me I think because I gave up an experience because someone "else" wound me up.

I'll bet that happens all the time especially in ship dining rooms, just walk away, its easier. But honestly why when acceptance is with the majority do we allow the minority to take over and influence
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was on Carnival Liberty with a group a while back. On the last formal night one man at our table ordered 12 plates of escargot. I will give him credit he did eat them all. It rather surprised me as this man was not huge, I guess he just loves the little critters.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
I was on Carnival Liberty with a group a while back. On the last formal night one man at our table ordered 12 plates of escargot. I will give him credit he did eat them all. It rather surprised me as this man was not huge, I guess he just loves the little critters.

Laura
Yuk! You could not pay me to eat those!
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
No personal attack, just an opinion on fat, greedy. ignorant passengers that just happen to walk down the same corridors as the rest of us when on a ship.
A FAT GREEDY B….. oh you are wasting my cruise and everywhere I go I will always see you.
So You do enjoy meeting other people then

We must meet for tea and you can enjoy some of Nanny's homemade scones. We appear to have lots in common.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Okay before I start on my reaction CM moderator folks,,, I am attempting to write this the best way I can without upsetting you or other CM dudes.

This is a ship announcement, You may be a fat, greedy and selfish person, but you can leave that behind on here and you may be the sort of person that will kill for the last buffalo wing on the hot plate. On here this is not a competition, nor will you starve, but by denying others, they will just think of you as

In fact I will go as far as saying that for all sorts of reasons people will do or react like that, and not just food.

On my last cruise I loved the under cover pool area, did I do it everyday,,NO,,as there was a pain in the ass couple that from x hour would be in there and just wind me up by their actions

Who was wrong them or me. Me I think because I gave up an experience because someone "else" wound me up.

I'll bet that happens all the time especially in ship dining rooms, just walk away, its easier. But honestly why when acceptance is with the majority do we allow the minority to take over and influence
David, if I ever return to Scotland, I would love to meet you for tea and scones.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Default Food

It appears the general attitude of "those people" aboard ship that take more food then they will ever eat is that the food is "free". We boarded a HA cruise in Rio a few months back and since our cabin wasn't ready headed for the Lido Deck, where we stopped by a table with two other guest. They harked and harked about the "free food" and the fact they could get all they wanted. They were second time cruisers.We wanted to escape to another table and couldn't wait until they left. They left two plates full of food. Looks like you and I will pay a little more in the future for this waste.