Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Currently on the Infinity for the Panama Canal cruise

I'm sitting here on the Infinity after just getting the new itinerary for our cruise ending on May 11. Due to the Swine Flu outbreak we got word our ports in Mexico we cancelled - no surprise. I predicted San Diego and Catalina as replacements. Today we got word those would be the new ports. But In to San Diego at 3 PM and out at 11 pm?!? That's not even enough time to hit the zoo. Catalina - will live with that. The WORSE part of this is the San Francisco stop. We are due to end the cruise in SF on May 11 - the new plan, come in on May 10 and stay the night in the port. Great (not!). I just hit the guest relations desk and asked about leaving the ship the day we arrive. We have a car parked in the lot across the street from the pier - why sleep in a small cabin when we can just drive home. I'm throughly disappointed in that last day. I feel we really got the shaft with that early ending. It's a good thing Celebrity isn't pushing selling a new cruise at the moment - this may be my first and last trip with them.
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Currently on the Infinity for the Panama Canal cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdomegnome
I'm sitting here on the Infinity after just getting the new itinerary for our cruise ending on May 11. Due to the Swine Flu outbreak we got word our ports in Mexico we cancelled - no surprise. I predicted San Diego and Catalina as replacements. Today we got word those would be the new ports. But In to San Diego at 3 PM and out at 11 pm?!? That's not even enough time to hit the zoo. Catalina - will live with that. The WORSE part of this is the San Francisco stop. We are due to end the cruise in SF on May 11 - the new plan, come in on May 10 and stay the night in the port. Great (not!). I just hit the guest relations desk and asked about leaving the ship the day we arrive. We have a car parked in the lot across the street from the pier - why sleep in a small cabin when we can just drive home. I'm throughly disappointed in that last day. I feel we really got the shaft with that early ending. It's a good thing Celebrity isn't pushing selling a new cruise at the moment - this may be my first and last trip with them.
Far be it from me to classify any post as an unwarranted whine, however this comes quite close. Do you really think Celebrity planned the Swine flu Pandemic just to inconvenience you? They probably had to scramble to find alternate ports for your cruise. The lousy hours in San Diego probably are due to availablility of berthing facilities. Instead of stewing over it, enjoy the stop as much as possible. As far as the overnight in SF, I would imagine it is as much to provide those (possibly the marjority) who have flight arrangements a place to stay. No shaft that I can see. Why not just stay onboard and enjoy the facilities? I don't think any other cruise line could have done better under the circumstances.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Captain

Well, I agree that sucks. I understand the cruislines are scrambling but why not more time in SD?

Still I agree w/ previous poster. I wouldn't cut my cruise short by one day. Stay onboard and enjoy what the ship has to offer.

Please report back to let us know how you make out.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Admiral

San Diego is a small terminal only two ships can dock there are a time. San Diego is Elation's home port so I'm sure that ship has priority. I agree with the other people's comments stay on the ship and enjoy in fact have a nice dinner and go see a show in town. Beach Blanket Babylon has a Matinee show on May 10 at 2:00 & 5:00 PM. That is suppose to be a great show.
http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/when/index.shtml

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It is very unfortunate that the ports had to change, but it wasn't the Cruiseline's fault, they are just keeping everyone on board as safe as possible from catching the flu...I hope you can still enjoy the "new" stops and the rest of your cruise.

BTW, how was the canal?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Default tough one

It's rough to not get what you paid for, but consider this.

Get sick and possibly die from a flu, or, be safe on a ship where you don't have to do laundry, housework, yard work, or plain work work.

Remember...cruises are not the only thing affected. Airlines are also taking a hit as well as hotels and resorts. Not to mention travel agents, etc, etc.

The ships crew is keeping you safe. You would complain much more if they didn't.

Be healthy, be safe.

Old April 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Familiar Face

Yeah, I agree..I'm whining. And I'm not alone. AFter planning this trip 20 months ago, a little whining makes me feel better. And, I agree -Celebrity or anyone else couldn't have anticipated this swine flu. What are the odds of it happening this week? I think the biggest issue most of us on this ship have is that no one is explaining why the ports are chosen. Reservation for the Panama Canal can't be changed? That's a big issue, I'm sure. If someone in charge would tell us why things are the way they are rather than just saying "this is it" I think we'd all be more understanding. It's like the old parent saying "because I said so!"

So, Cartagena was fine, we had a good time on shore and now we are merrily off to the canal.

We probably won't whine much more but we will accept what is given to us. As far as the early departune in SF, probably after dinner. We have 6 cats at home missing us and a neighbor that would like to be relieved of baby-sitting. Such is life, right?
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Admiral

You may not be able to debark the evening before it is planned. Immigration officials have to clear the entire ship before anyone is allowed off. And, they don't live on the ship, they just board it when it is time to begin debarkation. Also, the customs officials that check everyone after pax pick up luggage probably would not be there.
So, just be prepared to make the kitties wait until morning. Nobody's fault on any of this and I, for one, hope that missing ports and/or not being able to get off the ship at will are the least of the impacts of this flu.
Stay well....and cheery....you are on a cruise!
Marty
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Die from the flu? Last year 36000 people died from influenza just in the United States! Was there a panic? Were schools closed? Did cruises stop porting in US ports? Of course not. Those types of deaths occur every year. This "horrible pandemic" has killed less than 200 people world wide. More people die every day on US highways. The whole thing is a bunch of hooey. A tempest in a tea pot. Our 24-7 news people have nothing better to talk about so they brew a minor inconvenience into a full blown epidemic. Then the population follow like brain dead sheep. Then the cruise lines, airlines and travel services follow suit to satisfy the share holders and bleating crowds. What utter nonsense.

BTW, most of those deaths were in Mexico, not a hot bed for sanitation and hygiene not to mention medical facilities. The press and the talking heads like to compare this strain of swine flu to the one that killed so many people in 1918. Good heavens, that was nearly a hundred years ago. Penecillin wasn't discovered until 1928! There were no antibiotics. Doctors still "bled" patients. Hospitals were just places people went to die not heal. How can any rational person believe a virus, even one as virulent as the 1918 pandemic, would have anywhere near the same results in the modern world of 2009.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
Die from the flu? Last year 36000 people died from influenza just in the United States! Was there a panic? Were schools closed? Did cruises stop porting in US ports? Of course not. Those types of deaths occur every year. This "horrible pandemic" has killed less than 200 people world wide. More people die every day on US highways. The whole thing is a bunch of hooey. A tempest in a tea pot. Our 24-7 news people have nothing better to talk about so they brew a minor inconvenience into a full blown epidemic. Then the population follow like brain dead sheep. Then the cruise lines, airlines and travel services follow suit to satisfy the share holders and bleating crowds. What utter nonsense.

BTW, most of those deaths were in Mexico, not a hot bed for sanitation and hygiene not to mention medical facilities. The press and the talking heads like to compare this strain of swine flu to the one that killed so many people in 1918. Good heavens, that was nearly a hundred years ago. Penecillin wasn't discovered until 1928! There were no antibiotics. Doctors still "bled" patients. Hospitals were just places people went to die not heal. How can any rational person believe a virus, even one as virulent as the 1918 pandemic, would have anywhere near the same results in the modern world of 2009.
I couldn't agree more, although you doubled the actual deaths on US highways. I just posted an article to my facebook page where suppoedly educated college officials at Slippery Rock State in Pennsylvania are banning students who were student teaching in Mexico from attending their graduation becuase of this Swine Flu overreation. Sometimes I think all "educators" should be removed from administrative and policy decisions as they have a horrible track record.

I think to prevent anyone from sitting in the seat next to me on the train to DC tomorrow I am going to fake a sneeze and tell them I just got back from Mexico.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will graciously accept the correction on the traffic deaths in this fine country. The deaths by flu are correct as far as the CDC is concerned. World wide 250,000 to 500,000 people die every year of influenza based on how bad the out break is. Here we are panicing over what we now find is less than 100 deaths of swine flu. Kind of stupid.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Currently on the Infinity for the Panama Canal cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdomegnome
Far be it from me to classify any post as an unwarranted whine, however this comes quite close. Do you really think Celebrity planned the Swine flu Pandemic just to inconvenience you? They probably had to scramble to find alternate ports for your cruise. The lousy hours in San Diego probably are due to availablility of berthing facilities. Instead of stewing over it, enjoy the stop as much as possible. As far as the overnight in SF, I would imagine it is as much to provide those (possibly the marjority) who have flight arrangements a place to stay. No shaft that I can see. Why not just stay onboard and enjoy the facilities? I don't think any other cruise line could have done better under the circumstances.
I know about the berthing thingie, on our transatlantic we were supposed to go to St. John, Nova Scotia, but due to high winds we could not make it there and stay on schedule and so we stopped at Halifax instead. Unfortunately there were no cruise ships docks open so we docked in the area where commercial ships docked. Halifax though was nice enough to supply us with buses to the main shopping area.

Many griped about that too, they were not happy with Halifax, and they wee not happy with where we docked in Halifax. I however, could not see what could have been done differently, and we did have an enjoyable day. We took an excursion to Peggy's cove and we also visited that museum of the Titanic ship wreck.

Some people are not familiar with that term of "taking lemons and making lemonade"- swine flu or not-I would love to be on the Infinity right now-too bad I can't change places with the OP.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Familiar Face

No more whining - I got it out of my system. I'm not even sure what day of the week it is...I think yesterday was "Cinco de Mayo" even though I didn't see anything to acknowledge the day...is it anything but an American excuse to party? We have gone through the canal and it was great. I think we were outside all day and have the sunburn to prove it. A day at sea, then Costa Rica. My sister and I did the Tarcoles River (think that's spelled right) while the guys did the zip lining. We all had a great time. Since then we've been at sea and I have to admit, I could get used to this "down" time. Just kick back and enjoy the ride. We've seen (confirmed) dolphins and turtles and a possible whale sighting. I really believe that boredom is self induced. Don't like what you're doing, find something else to do. And I think most accepted the itinerary change. At this point it's not a big deal anymore. The captain sent out a notice explaining why things are what they are and that seemed to settle most of the grumblings. What the heck, as everyone has pointed it, we are still on a cruise. We've received notice that we will go through customs in San Diego whether we get off the ship or not. It appears that a large percentage of Californians are aboard. I have heard that several passengers will leave the ship that day. We are still planning on leaving when we dock in San Francisco - so far it doesn't sound like it will be an issue. That's the latest...food is great, service is excellent and we miss the questionable toilet facilities in Mexico...life could be worse, right?
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Admiral

I'm glad to see you moved past it. I hope you have a great time in Costa Rica and San Diego. I would trade with you in a minute. Let's see I cruised on Infinity in 2006; so hit the T-pool for me and get some of the Rum Raisin Ice Cream for my hubby. He fell in love with that stuff on our Alaskan cruise (who eats Ice Cream in Alaska ).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994