Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
I'm wondering if some people may be confusing the Maitre D' with the Assistant Maitre D' or possibly the Head Waiter.

On my cruises on RCI's Explorer of the Seas, I've never had the Maitre D' visit our table but the Head Waiter, especially on our last cruise came by nightly at least once and she went out of her way, even to assisting our waiter and assistant waiter, to make our dining experience even more enjoyable.

Todd
I think you just summed up the entire thread perfectly and solved what seems to be a huge mystery to alot of people! Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Ready to Board,

My pleasure, I assure you.

Todd
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Default Tipping

Sorry but I don't tip management. They are just doing their job and while not the highest paid workers in the world there are doing OK. Now for the young people paid very little by the cruise lines and who work their tails off, in my book they deserve a generous tip. I just wish the mandatory charges were not in place. I think that is the one thing in the cruise industry that makes many passengers not give additional tips.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bill A. Belt?????????? Your name is Belt? My name is John Belt. I live in Maryland near Washington DC. There's a whole brood of us Belts 'round these parts. Any possbile relation Bill?

Personally, I would rather the cruiose industry add a decent salary for the staff to the cost of the cruise. I'm going to spend the money anyway, why not just charge me up front?
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Admiral

John,

Living here in Greeneville was a jovial, unassuming retired farmer by the name of Sam Belt along with his wife Freda. Salt of the Earth, kind to a fault, he also made by far, the best country fried gravy I ever put in my mouth as well as the best biscuits.

He died last week at 86 and the world is indeed, a poorer place as a result.

Todd
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Captain

I, like so many of you feel compelled "NOT" to tip the Maitre D' . What do/did they do for me is how I look at it.

If walking by my table to say hello once on a 7 say cruise is their idea of "connecting with their guests" , then I'm sorry, but that's not worth a tip. The waiter and/or sometimes even the Assistant Maitre D' deserve a tip because they are there for me. They are on the front lines. If there is a problem or a spill, they are the one's who try to make it right, not the Maitre'D. If, on the other hand he did something for me, then I would, but that hasn't happened.

I don't have 500 cruises under my belt or a big name to merit a Maitre'D to suck up to my needs, which is fine, but don't walk around my table acting as if you've done me a favor by sitting me next to the kitchen or noisey bus station and then expect a merit for that!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old July 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Captain

I, like so many of you feel compelled "NOT" to tip the Maitre D' . What do/did they do for me is how I look at it.

If walking by my table to say hello once on a 7 say cruise is their idea of "connecting with their guests" , then I'm sorry, but that's not worth a tip. The waiter and/or sometimes even the Assistant Maitre D' deserve a tip because they are there for me. They are on the front lines. If there is a problem or a spill, they are the one's who try to make it right, not the Maitre'D. If, on the other hand he did something for me, then I would, but that hasn't happened.

I don't have 500 cruises under my belt or a big name to merit a Maitre'D to suck up to my needs, which is fine, but don't walk around my table acting as if you've done me a favor by sitting me next to the kitchen or noisey bus station and then expect a merit for that!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Having bought this name DayvidB and the CM points and reputation that go with it on eBay for $5K, can I first say you are all lovely people and I look forward to having some nice conversations with you.

Hi my name is actually Brent

But on this subject I have a strong feeling, if you dont tip everyone, dont get onboard

Brent
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Captain

With the exception of one Carnival cruise (in the 80's) and our last Princess cruise, we've always sailed Celebrity. We've always paid the appropriate gratuities. I agree that there is a lot unseen.

Saying that, why not tip the cleaning crew who polish and steralize and vacuum in the wee-hours of the morning?

I've only not paid the Maitre'D once. On our last Princess cruise, which we booked several months in advance, we were on the waitlist for early dining, table for 2. We were pretty low on the waitlist, 12. Other passengers who were higher on the waitlist received their requests, but we did not. Not only, I got the impression from the Maitre'D that he was somewhat apprehensive with two guys standing in front of him...whatever. He was cold and rude, wouldn't shake our hands (although he did others in front of us).

We refused to eat in the dining room. He ran into us several days later. I said, "Hey, you said you were going to call us after you 'juggled' some things around...what happened?" He back-peddled a bit and said we could come down every night at 6, but he couldn't "promise" us. By this point we were eating in specialty dining every night, with a buffet thrown in to mix it up.

Not only did he NOT get a tip, he received a very pointed letter of feedback which was copied to the Captain.

So there is a good example of what a Maitre'D did NOT do for suite-paying passengers.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Having bought this name DayvidB and the CM points and reputation that go with it on eBay for $5K, can I first say you are all lovely people and I look forward to having some nice conversations with you.
Well you get what you pay for

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

I changed my picture to show its now me, thanks for the reply

Brent
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Captain

I just got off a Carnival cruise yesterday and at the end of the cruise, under my door, was an envelope with Maitre'D printed on the front. Now, our Maitre'D came by our table once, asked if everything was alright and left. Thats' it; 10 seconds max

Sorry, no tip from me!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Have computers taken away much of their job? On our two cruises our table assignment was printed on our Sign & Sail cards.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i have tipped a maitre d' once. on the carnival destiny last march our maitre d' was frankie, and he was a singing, dancing maitre d' that stopped by nearly every table every in the dining room every single night, and knew us by name. he was awesome.

the only other time my maitre d' came around was this past cruise on the carnival freedom, and he came around a few of the nights. i didn't tip him, because i, like others, feel they are paid decently and my tip money goes to others.

on royal caribbean the ONLY time we saw our maitre d' was the last night, when it was tip time. and it was obvious that was what he was after. he didn't get tipped either.

if someone deserves it, i'll give it to him/her otherwise, i'll thank him/her for a pleasant evening/time/trip and be on my way.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Green RD ---I think you are "right on target"----good for you!!!
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Passenger

When my kids and 5 grandkids were on our last cruise in '07 on the Legend, every night the Maitre D' came to our table to make sure everything was to our liking. He especially seemed to enjoy talking and kidding with my grandkids who were then ages 5-10. My grandkids thought he was so cool having that accent and loved to see him coming over to our table. On the last night Yosef came over, mentioned each child by name and even hugged each one goodbye.
Yes, we felt he went above and beyond and wrote him a nice thank you note along with a generous tip.

I noticed all of our waitstaff really enjoyed talking and kidding around with the grandkids. I imagine many of them have kids of their own and really miss them so that is the reason for the extra attention.

We're booked on the Liberty in June '10 and already the grandkids are wondering if they'll be seeing their old friends. Probably not, but will definately be making new ones and lot's more happy memories.
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Admiral

A good experience, just shows that some are better at the job than others and know how to play the game

Your Quote "On the last night Yosef came over, mentioned each child by name and even hugged each one goodbye"

My Quote,,,,Yip I bet he did, a big table, last night, time for envelopes to be handed over. Oh why am I so synical,,,experience.

Maths Question: On how many nights on a seven day cruise will you find the Maitre’D visiting your table?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
A good experience, just shows that some are better at the job than others and know how to play the game Oh I don't think it was "know how to play the game" at all, I think he was just genuinely nice.

Your Quote "On the last night Yosef came over, mentioned each child by name and even hugged each one goodbye"

My Quote,,,,Yip I bet he did, a big table, last night, time for envelopes to be handed over. Oh why am I so synical,,,experience. Yes, you appear to be very cynical...what a shame.

Maths Question: On how many nights on a seven day cruise will you find the Maitre’D visiting your table? Having taken 7 day cruises before, this was the first time a Maitre d' has shown any interest at all in our table. Because of that, the others received nothing more than a smile from me.
I'm one of those people that isn't easily impressed about much in this 'ol world, but in fairness to those that go the extra mile or two to make our cruise even more pleasant, I will tip extra, no matter who it is.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Please explain "the others received nothing more than a smile from me."

Are you honestly saying that you tipped no other service staff at your table apart from the Maitre D. I need to clarify that before I can comment further.

You can guess where this might go
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Passenger

No, I meant the other Maitre d's from past cruises didn't get tipped. Our waitstaff always will get extra. I can't even imagine how they can get the job done as well as they do, and always have time for a smile or a joke with the diners.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Okay, I'll accept that but in my honest opinion 99 times out of a 100 they are not worth a tip
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
Admiral

We never tip anyone other than the room steward, our waiters and possibly a bar person or two, if they are special.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I remember one HAL cruise right after my DH quit smoking. It was 16 days and I did not want to smoke in the cabin. Wasn't ready to quit, though, so I used to go to this one lounge for a smoke. I only ordered water the entire time, as alcohol and my stomach do not get along. Anyway, this one bar server treated me like the biggest spender on the ship, so the last night I went up and tipped him well. He said, "But you never bought anything." I replied that that was the exact reason for the tip. His surprise seemed very genuine and it made me happy to thank him for all he had done for me.
Marty
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Todd...

As far as I know the guy in the jacket on Royal Caribbean who comes to your table every night is the head waiter, not the maitre D' - he works for the maitre D' and just has a section of the restaurant.

I was on one cruise where we had a head waiter I could not stand. he would come to our table every night and interrupt our conversation and spend five minutes telling us everything on the schedule for the next day. I can read the daily program myself. Other than that the guy did nothing.
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cru...-maitre-d.html

From the year 2000 - the original maitre D' thread.

I am the one who wrote that description back in 1999 and I have to assume that it has driven MANY maitre D's quite crazy over the years. It's like a butterfly wings in China causing a tornado in Toledo - who knows what kind of ripple effect that description has had over the years?