Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Tipping the Maitre d'

It's on the forum description and I'm too lazy to search the topic.

The first night I arrive at the dining room and am shown to my table to a server. After that I make my own way to the my assigned table. I may never have direct contact with the maitre d'. Why should I tip him/her, and if I should, what is appropriate.

And ... "because he/she lives off tips" is not a good answer. Maybe I'm a jerk but I don't tip the Maitre 'd/host/hostess when I eat out on land. I do tip my server generously.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Admiral

I agree. Unless the maitre d' does something out of the ordinary, we do not tip him or her. They do get a salary, a decent one. Not living off tips to the extent that the servers do. So, I'm not going to tip because I'm "supposed" to ...not going to happen. No different than locals in port wanting a hand out.
Marty
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our Assistant MaitreD .. historically stops by our table every evening.. to ensure everything is as expected..you are tipping your assistant MaitreD d for things not seen more so than the visual.

May I ask what line you sail on that a white coat doesn't stop by your table?
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Admiral

One time my tablemates had special diet needs. The MaitreD or Assistant MaitreD came over every night with the next night's menu to get their order and make certain the current order didn't contain any bad stuff. One had a nut problem, the other it was dairy issues. To me those people should have tipped the MaitreD because he/she performed above thier normal duties.

If I ask for a new table or different dining time and received it I would tip the MaitreD. Since most times this isn't the case the tip is either small or none. On Carnival the Assistant MaitreD/MaitreD doesn't come to each diner every night. They do it one night near the end of the cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyanddavid
Our Assistant MaitreD .. historically stops by our table every evening.. to ensure everything is as expected..you are tipping your assistant MaitreD d for things not seen more so than the visual.

May I ask what line you sail on that a white coat doesn't stop by your table?

Hi,
I agree with the others about notn tipping the MatireD or the Assistant MaitreD. I have cruised on Princess and HAL and have never had either of them come to my table. I often wonder why some passengers do get visited and others don't.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

well so far every RCL or Celebrity Cruise I have been on they are always there..
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Actually, the maitreD has the tedious task of making sure the dining room is set and ready to go at every meal. They supervise the wait staff and help the kitchen staff. They make sure the bar is stocked, the wine cellar is stocked and the food is ready and properly served. They have quite a time consuming job. That does not include the constatnt attention to the various requests by the passengers. All many thousands on most cruises. The few bucks they get as tips is rather insignificant compared to the cost of the cruise. Why stiff them?
Disney Wonder October 2009
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
Actually, the maitreD has the tedious task of making sure the dining room is set and ready to go at every meal. They supervise the wait staff and help the kitchen staff. They make sure the bar is stocked, the wine cellar is stocked and the food is ready and properly served. They have quite a time consuming job. That does not include the constatnt attention to the various requests by the passengers. All many thousands on most cruises. The few bucks they get as tips is rather insignificant compared to the cost of the cruise. Why stiff them?
Because I don't tip the Hotel Manager, IT Manager, doctor, Chief Engineer, Captain ...

But I would tip the maitre d' if I had asked something special of them.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Very nicely put....
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Very nicely put....
How much do you think the MaitreD should recieve as a tip? This is for both Thasic and Joey and David.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:
Very nicely put....
How much do you think the MaitreD should recieve as a tip? This is for both Thasic and Joey and David.
I would say somewhere between 75 cents to a dollar a day..JMO

as a rule of thumb... We normally add or subtract from the "guarantee" depending on service.. I also tend to write little notes either thanking them in writing or explaining to them why I felt it nessessary to have reduced tips...I include it in the envelope..
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Whatever the going rate may be. The cruise line usually gives some kind of idea of the "standard" tipping fee. If the service was extraordinary or you asked for something special then increase the tip accordingly.

Green rd, you are free to tip or not tip as you see fit. That is certainly your perogative. You certainly don't need to give reasons not to tip or justify the habit to me or anyone else.

For me, what it all comes down to is simple. These people, the wait staff, the porters, the bar people, and even the maitreD, work very hard under grueling conditions, for very little pay, attempting to make my vacation time as enjoyable as possible. Their primary source of income is tips. To these folks, twenty bucks is a very large sum of money. To those of us that cruise, twenty dollars is insignificant in comparison to the entire cruise cost. I, personally, and others may disagree, feel the suggested tipping scale as a base or minimum. If the service was special I will give more. That's me. Of course, I grew up poor. I know what it's like to be hungry and have little. I managed to climb out of poverty. So maybe I'm a little more compasionate and generous, or maybe naive and stupid, according to how one may look at the situation. I'll still continue to tip, and do so generously and in good cheer.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Because I don't tip the Captain ...
Bob did you not see the Jar that is out on Captain's nite with a note that says.....
"If you would like to get to port on time I suggest giving a tip!! Thank You, The Captain"

I usually tip $20. for the MaitreD however if he/she does not come around to our table not once to say hello then I will not tip.

I know they have a very rough and stressful job and I don't need them at my table each evening talking or cleaning my shrimp for me however I do expect once during a 7 nite cruise that he/she comes by to say hello.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
Because I don't tip the Captain ...
Bob did you not see the Jar that is out on Captain's nite with a note that says.....
"If you would like to get to port on time I suggest giving a tip!! Thank You, The Captain"
We came in the back - so I guess I missed it. Boy is my face red

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:
Very nicely put....
I would say somewhere between 75 cents to a dollar a day..JMO

as a rule of thumb... We normally add or subtract from the "guarantee" depending on service.. I also tend to write little notes either thanking them in writing or explaining to them why I felt it nessessary to have reduced tips...I include it in the envelope..
Okay so I'm right in there. The Cruise with the Tablemates with special diet needs was on Celebrity; the MatireD and Assistant MaitreD did a great job dealing with these issues. The one tablemate complained about everything and I knew they would not tip. So we did tip the MatireD on that cruise. Others were I don't see the MatireD the entire cruise until the last night of the cruise (for his tip ).

I don't tip and I don't feel bad about it. Thasic I understand and respect what you are saying. But I feel differently for the MatireD, then I do for the wait staff and the cabin Stewards. Matire D is a Ship's Officer so they make more money thena the wait staff or cabin steward. I have been in the service industry for 14 years in a job where my primary source of income was tips. So I know the tricks people play to get bigger tips. I knew a Stylist that would leave a $5 on her station so the next person would think they should tip $5. The Matire D visiting the table on the last night is similar in intent. If you cared about my experience in the dining room you would have come over earlier in the cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Captain

I always just assumed that if I didn't see the MatireD it was because he was busy off doing matireD stuff or helping another passenger who needed assistance. Like CQ, I expect him to make his way to my table at least once during a cruise. But I don't have special needs and prefer not to be bothered when I am eating anyway. Besides, they always manage to show up just as I am stuffing food into my mouth!!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Yep, as soon as I stuff a big bite in my mouth, either the maitre d' or photographers show up!
Marty
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Beginner

I am the manager in a restaurant and have never received tips. The tips are for the hosts, bussers, servers.That is why I get paid more. I am in charge of making everything run smoothly including organizing staff.I don't believe the Maitre'd should receive tips just for showing up at my table once at the end of my cruise. I visit each and every table continuosly through the meal service.It is what I am being paid to do.
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq3
I am the manager in a restaurant and have never received tips. The tips are for the hosts, bussers, servers.That is why I get paid more.
I used to be a restaurant manager and on 2 occasions I got a tip... i would try Thats ok just glad i could help type response..but after the 2nd no thanks i say thank you..(which i put in the communal tip jar)
the only reason i could ever figure out why they tipped me because I did MY JOB.. above and beyond what the guests were used to..

I say that to strongly suggest no matter what you base salary is .. if you are excellent at what you do .. and go above and beyond you deserved get tipped..
Corporations do it all the time..(and sometimes when the performance isn't so hot)I think they call them bonuses...
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Some years ago, we had an issue with some very small minded people at our table and so requested a switch. The ship, and dining room, were maxed out and the maitre d' had to shuffle some other people around to accomodate us. Would not have done it, but we didn't even know until after it happened. Anyway, my hubby tried to tip the maitre d', as he had gone above and beyond on our behalf. He refused it...very emphatically, but graciously. Said he appreciated the gesture, but he was just doing his job. A true class act.
Marty
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Joey,

I'm certainly glad to learn that a seasoned cruiser such as you, puts notes in the tip envelopes.

I'm one that has always believed that to personally thank an employee along with a tip, especially a service person, often gives such a person a bit more spring in their step and a bit larger smile. I too, do this with a little note.

I'm glad to read, being the relative newbie that I am, that I'm not alone in that regard.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I do like to tip the Assistant Maitre D' often called head Waiter. They really work hard, although may not be as visible as the wait staff. I never tip the Maitre'D (Restaurant manager) unless they do something out of the ordinary for me. Most are polite and helpful, the minority look hungry for money. Its always nice to be nice
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FIREKILLER

Quote:
So let me get this correct. The MaitreD is actually doing things that his job and the company expects him to perform. And when he performs these tasks, as expected of him, he should get a tip?

Heck, if that was the case in my job, I should be clearing at least a million a year. Wait, I do get a tip, it's called a PAYCHECK!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, firekiller, a waiter/waitress also does the job he/she is hired to do. I guess you don't tip them either. And the paper boy, and garbage collector, the list is very long. These people may get a paycheck but they live on tips. I know your not that niave.

Sure the maitreD gets a paycheck. He's making perhaps $15 per hour. He is away from his family for 6 to 9 months. He works 12 to 18 hours a day at least 6 days a week. His sole job is to make sure YOU have a good time on your extravagant vacation. He doesn't deserve any appreciation form you, however. I'm sure it's an honor just to have you and folks like you on the ship to cater to your every whim. Right?

You know I tip the paper boy and the garbage men that service my neighborhood. My newspaper is always delivered to my doorstep. When my trash is emptied anything that may get strewn about is always cleaned up. A while back, my cheapskate neighbor asked why my paper was always on the doorstep and his like as not was in a mud puddle on the street. I told him I tip. He said he shouldn't have to tip, it's the paper boys job. This morning his paper was in a puddle. Go figure.
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
well so far every RCL or Celebrity Cruise I have been on they are always there..
Ditto, 12 cruises, seen and visited with every day.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping the Maitre d'

Quote:
The first night I arrive at the dining room and am shown to my table to a server. After that I make my own way to the my assigned table. I may never have direct contact with the maitre d'. Why should I tip him/her, and if I should, what is appropriate.

And ... "because he/she lives off tips" is not a good answer. Maybe I'm a jerk but I don't tip the Maitre 'd/host/hostess when I eat out on land. I do tip my server generously.
You're not a jerk. I tip the matri'd squat. Other than a smile and a thank you, he gets nothing whatsoever from me.

The matre'd is management. His alternate title is Dining Room Manager. As a management employee, he is NOT totally dependent upon your tips. He gets a striped officer's wage and a striped officer's privileges. It's your server who breaks his rump every day, day in and day out, with a very low wage and almost no onboard privileges. Your server can't stay on the passenger decks when he is not working, he can't eat in the passenger dining venues, he makes about a buck an hour in the way of an actual salary, he gets very limited shore leave because the dining room still has to run during port days and so many people are needed to keep it running. The matre'd, on the other hand, can often "double up" with the manager in another dining venue such as the Lido and get some shore leave in some ports. He can often get on tours free of charge in exchange for acting as a cruise line escort. Your server doesn't get these perks. That's why I would much sooner save the few bucks that I might be inclined to give to the matre'd as a tip, and pass them along to a good server instead. He's the one who busts his back to earn them.

So no ... you are not alone. Unless that matre'd did something way above and beyond the call of duty for me ... I would tip him zero. He might be a very nice person, and I would thank him for his kindnesses perfusely ... but I would not tip him ... just as I wouldn't expect someone at my job to slide me a few bucks because I got their job scheduled on the computer in rapid order. That's my job, and a thank you is all I may expect from someone I did it for ... and in many cases, I don't even get that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our July 08 4-night cruise, the matre'd walked by our table (3 of us) and asked us how our cruise was going. That was it. He asked us how we were enjoying our cruise and kept walking... never stopping.

I did the pre-paid gratuities and the last night when they dropped off the pre-paid tip coupons for the staff, there was coupon & envelope for the Matre'd. I never tipped him in the past, but this time I had no choice. No big deal, cuz it wasn't much. But had I not done the pre-paid gratuities, I wouldn't have given him anything.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I dont see the value in tipping them, so I dont.

Just off an RCL cruise and never seen him/her. But then again on that line they are not one of the "expected" envelopes. Its only cabin steward, dining waiter, asst waiter and head waiter (he got nothing) in return for his "nothing"
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Admiral

I'm wondering if some people may be confusing the Maitre D' with the Assistant Maitre D' or possibly the Head Waiter.

On my cruises on RCI's Explorer of the Seas, I've never had the Maitre D' visit our table but the Head Waiter, especially on our last cruise came by nightly at least once and she went out of her way, even to assisting our waiter and assistant waiter, to make our dining experience even more enjoyable.

Todd
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I agree Todd, I think there is confusion.