var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-219634-17']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); RCL Drink Prices - CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Default RCL Drink Prices

So, just back, and boy what a rip off for drink on RCL!! It was my fav line but now I’m having second thoughts. A pint of beer and a glass of wine $13.80 or £9.25 including the "service" tax, eh what's going on here RCL?

Looks like the drinkers and gamblers are again subsidising the ones that got a "cheap" cruise and don’t spend a lot when they get on there. The problem is,, chase us away with these prices and you are left with those that don’t spend...

Oh and don’t give me it reflects “posh” bar prices, the pool bar isn’t “posh”
So I'm now looking at P&O who can serve the same for less than half that cost,,oh and with no 15% auto added, plus they appear more value than any points gained on the C&A membership.

Oh and the food was nearly crap,,maybe crap is too strong a word, lets say it was less than average. AND the really bad bit,,,the bed had a really strange smell of others, and one that was not pleasant, and so strong it would actually wake me up in the middle of the night.......not a happy cruiser
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Holy S that is a lot of money. Then Royal wonders why people sneak booze on board. I like Carnival the foods good and I get to bring two bottles of wine on board. Of course they charge the corkage fee in the dining room. Was your cruise out of England? If so was the on board items all in Pound Sterling? I guess my question is does the ship change the onboard currency depending on what country they start from?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Dayvid,

I no longer drink much at all but I shall say the the prices for a glass of wine the cheapest being $5.25 with most falling between $5.50 and $7.95 and a mug of draft at the nearest Olive Garden (hardly what I'd call a "posh" establishment), isn't much less than what you paid aboard ship ...and that's before tip. Maybe alcohol is far cheaper where you live, I wouldn't know.

I think I might hazard a guess why the alcohol is cheaper on P&O ships and it could be two fold. First off, the average Englishman booking a cruise in England, often if not always pays a far higher cruise price than does the average American (far more than an American booking the same cruise on the same ship, especially if the sailing is from a US port) --even on a ship that often has been withdrawn from the American market because of age and sent to the European market (I think you'll find a number of P&O vessels were originally older Carnival vessels--and Carnival just happens to own P&O). I have read that complaint numerous times on these boards by those who live in Great Britain and neither they nor do I, think it's fair. Secondly, I believe statistics show (or at least my British relatives inform me) that the average Englishman drinks far more these days than does the average American. Low booze prices could be a big draw in Great Britain.

Of course that is just my opinion but according to the evidence, it appears my guesses are at least very plausible.

Todd
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What Royal CAribbean ship were you on?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Last cruise I was on I tended to drink only the "Drink of the Day". Always some type of beach type mixed drink with fruit and an umbrella in it. Sure I looked like a tourist (of course we all were tourists), but comparatively, they were pretty cheap! I also bought a wine package, a bit pricey but still not a bad deal. I also joined all the wine, beer and drink tastings. I'm not a lush. Really.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

David,

I agree: I have seen the overall prices of drinks double in the last eight years.

I laugh when I see someone tell a message board poster that "The Drink of the Day" is around $3.95. I don't think they've seen the recent prices where the drink of the day on Carnival is $6.95 and $7.95 in a, fine quality, plastic glass.

A glass of wine runs around $6/glass and that is close to the local prices at a decent restaurant but the price of mixed drinks $12.95 for a Bombay Sapphire martini is more like a very fine restaurant.

A bucket of beer runs about $18 for four beers but if you drink Coors Light it is $12.95.

I have also noticed that the prices of wine have not increased as much but the "pre-buy" of spirits, which once was a good deal, is now three to four times as high. A bottle of Absolut vodka that could be pre-purchased on NCL eighteen months ago for $25 is now $60 and a bottle of Chivas is $100. Princess once had reasonable prices for pre-purchased spirits but it is not around $30 for a 350ml bottle.

Yep: The times they are a changin and I can see why booze smuggling is so popular.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Hi folks

Donna, I would rather not say which ship as I dont want my "rant" to be an opinion of it or the other service we recieved, that would be unfair.

To cover another couple of points, on RCL no matter where you are in the world everything is done in US dollars.

Todd, this cruise left from Barcelona and returned there, and was in the majority Spanish people, so not Brit based out the UK, oh I'm not English by the way ... wash your mouth out please.

Here even in the best and I mean "best wine bars" I would not pay anything like these prices, plus those days of sending us the old ships are gone, we get the new ones as well.

As for P&O price to be there, nope I dont see it as anymore expensive overall.

Thanks Mike, maybe some folks like you and I are remembering the prices of a couple of years back and not cruised recently. If so they are in for a major shock the next time they go. Including there is no "mini tour" ashore for even 2 hours for less than $60 per head,,,shocking, averages now aremore like $100-£120 for something that was once an "acceptable" experience of the place and price

Oh and you know those "cheap" getting off ship pictures the ships people take,,,,$19.99 each as a 6x8 in a paper folder,,,,eh you're having a laugh
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Captain

I'm sure booze has gone up like alot of things have...maybe even a little more so than most things. But you have to admit, cruising is still a pretty darn good value even if your final booze/beverage bill is a few bucks more than your last cruise. Don't forget also there is huge tax on alcohol that the cruise industry is obviously going to pass along to the person consuming that adult beverage.

Cruising has been such a good deal for so long that I think most of us have gotten a little spoiled. We want top notch service, entertainment, great, UNLIMITED food, upgrades, discounts and on and on. The cruise lines have to make money on some things since they aren't greatly increasing rates. I'm guessing if you look around most ships other things have gone up just as much if not more than most folk's last cruise...Like the spa, prices in the gift shops, excursions etc. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but the cruise industry really isn't any different than any other part of our economy right now...EVERYTHING is going up.

One good way to cut down on the old booze bill is to find a drink you and your spouse both like and just share it. It is usually enough if you take your time and don't slam it down. The wife and I also do this probably 90 pct of the time also when we order meals out these days. We still get more than enough to eat and often still end up taking food home.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The only reason I ask, what ship. Sometimes people generalize, by saying Royal Caribbear, Carnival, etc....Not all ship in the fleet are the same in quality. To say, something wasn't up to parr and the food was garbage, it would be nice to know exactly what ship...Then you can have another cruiser say the food was excellent being on the same exact cruise...So, its really not fair to make statements like that and not give all the information, JMHO..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Dayvid,

I'm truly glad to hear they're getting better quality ships permanently ported "across the pond."

I shall let everyone know what a bourbon and coke are this year. Last year I paid $5.50 plus an $.82 cent tip if I remember correctly for a Jack Daniels and Coca-cola highball each night before dinner.

I would guess that to be a "market average" in most places in a decent restaurant around the country. At any rate, I shall let you know (if you remind me upon my return although I'll probably answer that very question in my review). If it's gone up more than a buck, I just won't have my highball (well, sometimes two highballs and uhh.. even occasionally maybe a third? ) before dinner.

That's not so much about not paying for them because I'm cheap which in fact I'm quite the opposite (to my wife's chagrin) especially when it comes to frequently picking up the tab for a group at a very nice establishment. Rather I simply refuse to pay what I think are "criminal" prices when there is no commensurate value. if I were to be a millionaire, I wouldn't in your wildest imaginations pay $2.78 for a medium sized McCafe at McDonald's, nor pay to see a professional baseball or football game or ever purchase a coke, beer or hotdog anywhere at the price most professional sports stadiums charge. That also goes for my beloved local NASCAR race at Bristol. Last time I went (around '63) it was I think twelve dollars for third row seats in a venue attended by around 12,000 fans. Today I think I might have to pay around 100 dollars to be shoe horned in with 150,000 fellow race fans crammed around A LITTLE HALF MILE STADIUMf in the nosebleed section, which at Bristol is so far from the track that people my age (and maybe younger -- who knows) need binoculars!

BTW Dayvid. I have always thought you were from the British Isles. Are you an Aussie or Anzac?

TDH
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Dayvid,

I'm truly glad to hear they're getting better quality ships permanently ported "across the pond."

I shall let everyone know what a bourbon and coke are this year. Last year I paid $5.50 plus an $.82 cent tip if I remember correctly for a Jack Daniels and Coca-cola highball each night before dinner.

I would guess that to be a "market average" in most places in a decent restaurant around the country. At any rate, I shall let you know (if you remind me upon my return although I'll probably answer that very question in my review). If it's gone up more than a buck, I just won't have my highball (well, sometimes two highballs and uhh.. even occasionally maybe a third? ) before dinner.

That's not so much about not paying for them because I'm cheap which in fact I'm quite the opposite (to my wife's chagrin) especially when it comes to frequently picking up the tab for a group at a very nice establishment. Rather I simply refuse to pay what I think are "criminal" prices when there is no commensurate value. if I were to be a millionaire, I wouldn't in your wildest imaginations pay $2.78 for a medium sized McCafe at McDonald's, nor pay to see a professional baseball or football game or ever purchase a coke, beer or hotdog anywhere at the price most professional sports stadiums charge. That also goes for my beloved local NASCAR race at Bristol. Last time I went (around '63) it was I think twelve dollars for third row seats in a venue attended by around 12,000 fans. Today I think I might have to pay around 100 dollars to be shoe horned in with 150,000 fellow race fans crammed around A LITTLE HALF MILE STADIUMf in the nosebleed section, which at Bristol is so far from the track that people my age (and maybe younger -- who knows) need binoculars!

BTW Dayvid. I have always thought you were from the British Isles. Are you an Aussie or Anzac?

TDH
Todd:

Before you dig yourself in any deeper I'll let you know that David is a Scotsman.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike and my apologies to you Dayvid!

There for a moment I thought, "My God, what if he's Irish!" Now I KNOW I'll hear from someone down there in Alabama!

At least though I'm not totally wrong. Scotland is still part of the British Isles isn't it?

Actually I have it over everyone. My SIL is from and she and my brother lived for over twenty five years, on a small island a whole lot of folks in this country have never heard of.

Give you a hint. A tailess breed of cat is named after it.

Todd
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Todd,,,, what are you like, being Scots which is in the UK, does not mean I am english. Oh and the Isle of Man is actually english.

But back to business,,,I have no gripe with people that feel they can afford these prices,,,its your call. Same way some spend $800 for an inside cabin, I spend $1600's for a balcony and someone pays $5,000 for a major suit on the same ship, same cruise,,its choice and acceptability.

I just dont find the prices acceptable, having said that I still managed an account for everyything, drink, trips, spa, hairdressers of $1,700 for 10 days, so I am not a cheap skate. Just certain things get to me, like nearly $2.00 for a can of coke out a fridge, come on.

Okay Donna, take your point. It was the Brilliance of the Seas, did anyone else have a smelly bed?

And in reflection I think it only fair that I write a full Cruise Review and submit it, something I never thought I would do
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Dayvid,

Whoa there Nelly! Calm down. All I said was I thought you might be British because some of the verbiage you use is typically Anglican and Scotland is a part of the British Isles Actually, the Isle Of Man might technically in some ways be English (although it is now virtually independent from Great Britain relying only on the Crown for National Defense) but don't tell them that. The Manx Parliament (originally called I believe Tynwald) is around 1,020 years old! That initial exercise in Democracy predates a democratic form of government in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales simply because.........it is the oldest in the world!

And your points about prices are well taken. I despise paying $2.00 for a 12 oz. coke in a coke machine in a New York hotel as well. I commend you for not being "cheap." I mean after all, aren't Scots known for their frugality?

As I do everyone else, I urge to you please write a full review of your cruise. A well balanced review can really be a helpful guide for someone who may never have sailed upon that particular vessel.

Sorry you had so many problems. If we ever run across similar mattress problems, I'm confident we'll have no problems getting it rectified albeit not by me. I have the greatest Champion in the world when it comes to such matters. I'm married to a New York Italian.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Todd
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Yeoman

ready2board, does the cruiselines really have to pay the high tax on alcohol you mentioned? Isn't the alcohol taxfree for them?
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Erikhag,

The alcohol may well be purchases from tax free suppliers. Having said that (and I certainly don't know it), they may have to pay taxes on alcohol sold in port. That was true decades ago but I don't know if it still is. In any event, I happen to be one of those who suggests that cruise lines increase their fares and stop nickel and diming everyone........or at the very least to the extent that they do.

At any rate, the sale of alchohol heavily impacts a cruiseline's bottom line. And as they say, the money has to come from somewhere. In this country (as I'm sure in many others as well) although I don't know about northern Europe, the tax on alcohol is considered a "sin tax" and therefore is most frequently raised. But then again, if the tax is raised so high then it defeats the purpose because people just stop buying.

Drink prices on cruiseships are pretty much the same way. If they get too expensive, people will just refrain from purchasing them.

While I love my bourbon and Coca-cola, I do not need to drink to have a good time. I'm one of those possibly a minority of folks who truly enjoys the taste of my favorite highball rather than drink for effect...but not so much that I'm going to pay an outrageous price for it.

If that were the case for everyone, I assure you, the price would decline simply because the thresh hold had been crossed. What is outrageous? Well I consider that to be more than a buck or so more than in a commensurate venue on land. So as I earlier wrote, if that price of $5.50 for my highball is much above $6.50 this year, I just ain't buyin'. That simple. I also will not get a coke card this time because I have realized I don't get a return on my investment. I'm not cheap and (thank the Lord) so far, I am on a fixed income that is guaranteed as much as anything can be guaranteed in this country. So while I don't have a lot of disposable income, I could probably afford to drink the booze and cokes. It's just that I think I'd like my money to go for something more tangible than beverages.

Todd
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Maybe they have to pay taxes on alcohol sold when the ship is in port but my guess is that at least in some countries, the cruiseship is considered to be a taxfree zone like the airside on international airports.

I doubt that the US can have higher taxes on alcohol than Sweden. The drink prices on the cruiseships must be raised a lot if they shall match the prices in a bar in Sweden so I really don't think that the drinks are very pricy on the ships.
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Yes Erik, you are very astute. All prices may be relative but in comparison to where.

Todd
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Admiral

This is not about tax, local or worldwide. These prices follow the ship, and they are set by the line no matter where they are in the world.

But here is the cut, you could cruise in an area that for "anything" is 40% cheaper than back home, sorry but you still pay the line constant price, inflated or not.

Having just sailed on RCI, I wondered why we the did the Canaries as a port, come stop. Then one day it dawned on me we are sitting in a duty free port, they fill up with cheap booze, the Captain also held the ship back to fill up with $330,000 worth of fuel (his words on reason for being late) and he got it I guess at 20% less than he would have paid in duty paid ports eleswhere.

Did that make my cruise cheaper, no, will those full tanks of tax free fuel make the next persons cruise cheaper, no. Do I get the benefit of duty free booze, no. Can I buy some of that duty free booze myself to use on ship,,no
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
ready2board, does the cruiselines really have to pay the high tax on alcohol you mentioned? Isn't the alcohol taxfree for them?
I'm not completely sure. I'm guessing they probably pay tax of some kind when they purchase it for the ships. Of course, it also doesn't fall out of the sky and has to be delivered etc.

Again, I can never quite understand how everyone expects first class everything while on board yet never expect to have to pay for it especially these days when everything is going up. I would suggest some try a Disneyland vacation for five days with admission, food, beverages and everything else then compare it to the price of a five day cruise, even today when some cruise ammenities have gone up. My guess is they are going to find Disney to be somewhere between twice and three times more costly.

Someone mentioned a can of coke that cost two bucks. That's about what your going to pay in most bars/lounges today so I'm not sure why you expect it to be so much less on a cruise. For me it all comes down to this....It's a VACATION. A cruise is something you are splurging a bit for anyway so don't ruin it by getting so worked up about things like a bar bill. If you want something to get worked up about, go to the grocery store tonight and dig the current prices of things like toilet paper and paper towels!........That's what gets be worked up!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Admiral

While I agree with READY on most of his post, I think that one reason people are unhappy about drink prices is that it used to be one of the perks of cruising that the prices were really low. I've never been much of a drinker, but I tried quite a few new adult beverages on cruises because it had minimal financial impact if I decided I didn't like something. In other words, we got spoiled!
Marty
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Ready2board

I sort of understand where you are coming from, but I feel your onshore values and offshore values are confused. But I will give you that actually Disney are the same as most ships, you work a captive audience. Once in, they pay the prices

If I walked into a swanky hotel and it’s a given that I have already paid for my room to be in there. Or a well known fancy restaurant and I then go to the bar and ask for a beer, and they then present said beer in some disgusting plastic receptacle, and the same with a glass of wine, and both at "first class" PRICES,mmmmmm. Do I see “first class”?,,no

A nice wine or beer glass would be good if this is "FIRST CLASS", but no, it’s some sort of plastic receptacle in some areas and more suited to a kids party. That is not First Class service

And I wish people would stop thinking that because it’s a cruise ship, that what they are getting is first class, it’s not. It’s the biggest bulk vacation market out there. For example, you can pay upwards of $5000 buck minimum p/p for first class cruises on lines like SILVERSEAS, and not RCL, Celeb, Carnival or the rest, they are the Disneyworld of cruising.

And for as long as people think that what “the bulk” offers is "different" to expectations of a decent hotel back home, then they will get away with the rip off on prices.

Oh, and on land if I thought the rip off prices in the hotel bar too much, at least I could go to the local supermarket and bring my own back in,,,and no searches, no bag Xray's etc etc. Question yourself, why do they do that? Because they let people on so cheap, they need them to spend at least another $400 per person over 10 days to make a profit.

But at least the hotel is honest enough in it charges me the upfront price for my room and service and does not expect to make up cheap room prices with inflated prices on other things.

People that do not drink or buy drinks, do not gamble, do not take shore excursions, do not buy photos or anything else on the ship must be a nightmare for them on the ship…. and they must have the cheapest vacation out there.
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Yep, we do!...Have the cheapest vacations out there. As long as the cruise industry prefers to make getting on board very affordable, I'll keep on going. But, I don't spend much on board because gambling and drinking are just not what I enjoy doing. Hate bingo, rarely find anything in the gift shops. So, I sometimes book an excursion if it is a port I am not familiar with. But, I am running out of excursions that I want to do, so then it will really be cheap. Sigh. It's a rough life, but someone has to live it.
Marty
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Admiral

and some of us have to subsidise it…but as you say that’s how they have set it up. You have a cheap vacation, people like me help pay for it.

Why are you giving me evils, you should thank me for helping make your cruise so cheap 8)
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Dayvid,

You won't see me being angry if someone is subsidizing my cruise to any degree and in whatever fashion.

I too am low maintenance as I've pointed out previously. Don't care for excursions, might have a drink or a beer every now and again. Also might pay the casino a visit occasionally and I usually end up breaking even on that so.....

I do see your point Dayvid, but I look at it this way. It may not be First Class but it is a level of elegance that a lot of people may not ordinarily otherwise experience -- especially for ten days. For often well under four thousand dollars (including the bill on the seapass card), one can experience the thrill of sailing on some of the largest ships in the world for a nine night voyage to exotic Caribbean destinations they'd never otherwise ever see; experience at least I'm sure you'd agree is an upscale dining experience that surpasses many restaurants out there that pass themselves off as "fine dining" and is at least at a level possibly most cruisers on their first cruise have never in their lives experienced; been catered to by a staff and crew (even as you relax on a recliner around a pool) to an extent as to draw rave reviews from well over 90 percent of the millions who who take a voyage; enjoy wonderful productions shows often rivaling some even seen in Vegas in a gorgeous theater and then go to a nighclub where I assure you, the cost of drinks are no more (and often even today, much less) than some nightclubs in major American cities charge and all, all mind you, with not only having to unpack once, but also without ever having to step into a motor vehicle.

Now about the alternative. The Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island is an outstanding hotel. Just our ROOM for nine nights will cost over $2,000. That is about one third what one would pay for a much lesser hotel a free ferryboat ride away in Manhattan. And do you have any idea what show tickets (even inexpensive ones) would cost? And what about ordering breakfast or lunch from room service in that Manhattan hotel? You'd have to have a separate credit card just to pay for that. And the astronomical cost of eating not certainly in first class but in definitely upscale restaurants would be nothing to sneeze at. And all that isn't even figuring into the equation the cost of cabs to get from one place to another (I say cabs because few from outside the area would know how to use the buses or subways to find their way). Your vacation for a commensurate period of time would undoubtedly not only cost you far more than that nine night cruise not to mention, you'd spend it all in the same city! I'm not knocking New York City as I love it there (and yes, I'm intimately familiar with the all five boroughs as well). But when it comes to comparing a Caribbean Cruise even on a moderately priced line, well.....in all honesty there is just absolutely no comparison.

But then, a lot of people love camping which is far less expensive. My wife likes camping too.......just as long as wherever we camp provides room service.

Todd
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

If you guys are fine with it and dont see my GRIPE, fine, your call. But it does not take away my opinion or thoughts on MY exerience.

Oh and Dannyboy was not brave enough to present an opinion so he sent me a PM and I quote,,,,mmm

"I see you are on an attack over pricing, I have been on Celebrity and Princess in the past four months, the prices for drinks are increasing with all the cruise lines.

Concerning the passengers that don't gamble or drink, whom purchase discounted inside cabins.

Many veteran cruisers travel with a cost per day budget.
The ports, food, square footage on cabins and shows are factors used to obtain there total cost on the same ship your cruising.

If you calculate the per day cost, could you have booked a second cruise?

Many past passengers know that a penny saved is a penny for that next cruise, the cruise lines set up loyalty programs for this very reason.

Cruise lines are offering more and more to loyal customers to secure future business and offer perts in there top levels that are well worth the effort.

Your fellow passengers are reading about your personal spending habits.

You may want to talk about the great service and how cold the beer was."

Nice one Dannyboy

and my reply, even though he is telling me what I should be saying, and how I should be thinking in his world.... so I decided to post his thoughts for him

Am I confused, did he agree or disagree?,, maybe disagree. But I am totally amazed at how loyal some people are to cruising and cruiselines and cannot accept any form of critisism of them,,,shocking, for some it appears like they are standing up for their own family.

Oh and Dannyboy

"Your fellow passengers are reading about your personal spending habits"

SO WHAT bud, at least I'm open about the reality, and not hidding or making out that everything I experience is "value" in my opinion. The lines must have a field day with some folks as no matter what we do, "they" will never question it
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Admiral

On you original topic that drink price is a rip off. Sorry to RCL loyals it just is. The cruise ship can do it because it has a geographic monopoly. Once you are on the ship in the middle of the ocean you can't jump off for a drink. However, when cruise lines do this they shoot themselves in the foot. They encouarge more people to sneak acohol on board and they encourage the customers to find a new line for there next cruise. So pretty soon the only people on the ship are non drinkers and people who sneak acohol on board.

Then what's next? Charge for room service? Charge for a steak in the dining room? All the little add on charge start making the luxury lines look affordable. If the cruise lines bring the prices down to a reasonable level more people will drink and they will leave the ship happier at the end of the cruise. Not feeling ripped off and taken advantage of.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Admiral

A number of years ago, NCL tried doing a service charge on room service. Not a lot, $2 no matter how much you ordered, if I remember correctly. But, there were so many complaints that they reversed course and got rid of it.
Marty
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Admiral

With 24 hours of reflection, I now actually get what Dannyboy was telling me

"Many veteran cruisers travel with a cost per day budget.
The ports, food, square footage on cabins and shows are factors used to obtain there total cost on the same ship your cruising.

If you calculate the per day cost, could you have booked a second cruise?
"

What he is admitting is that some folks (old and young) dont spend on the ships, they just want to be there.

Okay fine if that is how you approach it as your saving your pennies for the next ship that you also dont spend money on.....mmm

But at least give thanks to those that do spend money in the bar, in the casino, on the shore trips and buy the "overpriced" photographs that allow you to be on there so "cheap".

Do some people really not get this, if others did not do these things, then the real price of that cruise would not be affordable to them? I guess some will still not get that point.

Bottom line is, if all the cruise lines get out of you coming on board is the price you paid for the cabin, then they have lost money on you as a person being on there

But I am drawing the line, as I am fed up with subsidising others. I say to the lines that you should demand a "true" price to be on there in the first place and then the rest you gain through drink, gambling, trips etc is a bonus

Without us that already do these things, a lot of other people could not afford to cruise under this way of pricing and "gamble" tactics.
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Captain

I usually spend between $6-8 for a glass of wine at a restaurant here in the SF Bay...(not including the gratuity).

I haven't sailed Royal (only =X= and Princess) and didn't notice the wine prices to be out of the ordinary...but the Ridel glasses they push? Please-you can pick up twice as much at Cosco for 1/4 of the price!