Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM
First Mate

Default Elevator Etiquette

I don't think I've ever seen this one but if I missed it, forgive me for the repeat. About my only gripe are those who have no manners when it comes to elevators. This seems to be more prevelant on ships than any buildings I've ever been in.

It almost never fails that when I'm trying to get off, someone's blocking the door and/or trying to get in before I can get out. Is it that difficult to stand away from the door until you know if someone is getting off or not?

The thing that really gets me is waiting at the elevator banks and having someone walk up, clearly see that we are already waiting, and still rush the first elevator that opens when there clearly isn't enough room for everyone. Maybe they are the same guilty parties mentioned above.

I've even witnessed it happening to seniors and handicapped with mobility problems. I would walk 10 flights of stairs before I took an elevator from someone with special needs.

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Admiral

I have enountered the issues that you bring up also. It is very inconsiderate, and there is no reason for people to act this way.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Oh God, why did you have to bring up one of pet hates..mmm

Gonna let rip,,once I think about this and can structure it.

But in the mean time its because some of us are not SELFISH BHstrds and others are. And on that basis I will consider my post, but I think you all know whats coming and no surprise
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
First Mate

DayvidB..............Let it all out, don't hold back
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

The problem is, some people are far more important than others. Those of you who KNOW just how important you are should not have to wait for the rest of us. YOU must be first, You deserve to be first. Everyone else can wait....
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
The problem is, some people are far more important than others. Those of you who KNOW just how important you are should not have to wait for the rest of us. YOU must be first, You deserve to be first. Everyone else can wait....
And the sooner the rest of you learn that the easier it will be for all of us

There is no excuse for rudeness, but some people actually rarely if ever deal with elevators.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
First Mate

Default Rude At The Elevator

FirstCoastCruiser----you are so correct!!!! Thanks for the comments---I just hope one or two of those peopel will read this
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Okay got my thoughts together and it works in quite a simple way... I was here first...

Seen it more times than I care to remember. The only person standing in front of a bank of four lift doors, and press the button to go wherever.

And before the lift arrives the Windjammer has a mass evacuation and we have old folks, young folks, folks in wheel chairs etc arriving....and then the lift arrives. SO now here is soft lad trying to let the folks in chairs, with sticks or just looking down right feeble in before me, and what happens.

Those with the legs and the power just fill the lift as their legs got them in first,,young and old. I feel like standing in front of the glass or metal door closing before me and shout " You shower of arrogant selfish Bhstards I hope the cable snaps as you stood all over us to get in there"

I look at the faces of those left behind for the next lift, if it evers comes and think this could go on all day.

What goes on in these peoples minds are they so arrogant and selfish that they dont see or care about other people.

If so, I really hope the cable breaks or at least it breaks down and traps them all for hours
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Default Elevators

Dayvidb----sorry about the spelling I gave your name on another site. I think I got it right this time----it's the dog picture that threw me offtrack!!!Bill
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Admiral

David, you old sod. Just use the freakin stairs.
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Admiral

This elevator " etiquette " or lack thereof, isn't just confined to ships. You see it everywhere.
There's just no way to figure some peoples mode of thinking, or not thinking.
Is it worse for someone to be so dense in the mind that they simply don't think about common sense and courtesy, or is it worse that they think about it and don't care ??
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Captain

I've seen this happen on countless cruises and in everyday life, but I never usually say anything as most people don't either. Being brought up in a family of 9 children, manners and respect come first; no if's and's or but's. And if you did get out of line, it was your "butt" that got it!!!!! ouch

Next month I'm taking my mom on her first cruise for her 80th birthday. And while she can walk, ships are big, so I will bring on a wheelchair for her so that she won't get too tired. If any of those SOB's try to rush in ahead, I promise I will not be tolerant. The older I get the more vocal I get also.

I'm with FirstCoast in that I would take the stairs before I snagged an elevator before others who really needed it.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

I encounter elevator rudness on a regular basis working in a high rise. I respond to those who block me exiting or who try to rush in before everyone gets out with a very icy

EXCUSE YOU!!!

and an equally icy glare!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

WHAT.. Bill Belt!!!! "sorry about the spelling I gave your name on another site".

You did what, sorry but only CM have the right to my rantings and they are not for quoting on other inferior cruise web sites.

Hopefully I think you meant thread ,,, I hope

As for the picture, I have been truly me in the avator presented and deemed tooo scary, I have been Mr Evil, not as scary, I have been even bigger and badder Mr Evil as this was my perception on here. But the puppy dog avator thing works, as it detracts from my thoughts and words. It makes me appear more cuddly and I am sure all will agree with that.

Paul I do use the stairs, but even then you have folks when on ship dont know which side(left/right) is for up and which is for down when presented with a staircase
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Admiral

David, I understand. Americans and Brits do have a tendency to bump into each other on staircases. Driving on each other's highways is an even more frightening thing.
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Admiral

People need to get this correct as we are giving advice here Paul, this is what us old guys do...

For all my spin this is true, well the first bit is.....

I was taught a very simple thing back in the days before super liners and very wide staircases, your right hand should be able to touch the hand rail of the staircase you are walking up or down.

Simple, and it works, no mid stair dance deciding if the person coming towards you is going to go left or right

Please print a how to use a staircase on ship in the welcome pack cruise lines

I thought the problem was solved with HUGE wide staircases, but flying in the face of the designers we now have the size of people’s butts to now take into consideration when passing on stairs, but that’s the minority as they are actually hogging the lifts.

And to be honest we dont get many mobility scooters on the stairs, thats a bonus...well it will be until one of them loses it and goes for the stairs, fed up waiting to get in a lift as before they can hit first gear all the fit SELFISH ***** with two working legs got in there first

8)
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

You do paint a pretty picture, old buddy.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

These apply to ALL elevators, not just elevators on ships:

- BE QUIET. No need to talk in a loud voice in an enclosed space

- You get on AFTER people get out

- Don't let your cute, little child hit the buttons. I know this is exciting for them, but I don't need them to accidentally hit 2 and 3 when you really need to get off on 4.

- When the door opens GET ON. I do not have time to kill while you wrap up your conversation with your buddy in the lobby.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasco
These apply to ALL elevators, not just elevators on ships:

- BE QUIET. No need to talk in a loud voice in an enclosed space

- You get on AFTER people get out

- Don't let your cute, little child hit the buttons. I know this is exciting for them, but I don't need them to accidentally hit 2 and 3 when you really need to get off on 4.

- When the door opens GET ON. I do not have time to kill while you wrap up your conversation with your buddy in the lobby.
I agree with everything so said except one. Sorry I'm not quiet I will never be quiet if you like quiet take the stairs. Because sometimes I'm not even aware my voice has increased in volume.

However, 3 out 4 isn't bad. I wait for people to get out before I get in, I don't have kids, and my conversation isn't intereting enough to hold the elevator. Plus I'm with my hubby and he isn't listening to me anyway.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

"I agree with everything so said except one. Sorry I'm not quiet "

Okay why is that not my surprise for a Friday night
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
"I agree with everything so said except one. Sorry I'm not quiet "

Okay why is that not my surprise for a Friday night
What that didn't shock the heck out of you? My brother is the only quiet person in my family. The rest of us are loud.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a fairly large, fairly strong individual. When I use the elevator, I try to stand in front by the doors. When they open I just stand there for a second. if someone is pushing to get on, I let them bounce off me, then step through them to get off and hold the place for anyone getting off after me.
Then the pushy one can get on.
Tends to work everytime/
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

get on an elevator with somebody u know and go to seperate sides. one person shouts to the other, "hey what did the doctor say? is it contagious?!" lol

or get on the elevator with somebody you know stand on seperate side. one person shout to the other "hey (insert name of other person in the elevator), did u just grab my ass?" and have the other person say "(insert name of person who asked question), from where i am standing, that is physically impossible"- this is from night at the roxybury

lol idk how u peoples sense of humor is, but me and my mom find these veeeery funny and have done both on cruise elevators multiple times

Old July 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17andacruiseaddict
get on an elevator with somebody u know and go to seperate sides. one person shouts to the other, "hey what did the doctor say? is it contagious?!" lol

or get on the elevator with somebody you know stand on seperate side. one person shout to the other "hey (insert name of other person in the elevator), did u just grab my ass?" and have the other person say "(insert name of person who asked question), from where i am standing, that is physically impossible"- this is from night at the roxybury

lol idk how u peoples sense of humor is, but me and my mom find these veeeery funny and have done both on cruise elevators multiple times
! That's totally funny. I think your post wins the award for most creative! Loved it.

I'm afraid there will always be those rude individuals. I work in SF in a highrise, and honestly do NOT see it here, at all.

Maybe they're individuals who are not used to riding in elevators? They don't know what Ms. Manners would say?

It really gets my goat too...
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

lol thanks.

yeah there were sometimes when people (mostly older women) wouldnt laugh, or look at us like we were crazy. lol just evil ol ladies with no sense of humor lol oh well

Old July 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Hey, now, don't go picking on the old broads. Some of us have a good sense of humor. ANd, just because someone doesn't get your joke does not make them evil.
Marty
P.S. I do intend to steal your lines on our next cruise.
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
First Mate

lol calm down lady, i wasnt talking about you personally. unless you happened to hear that joke in person meaning you were one of the older ladies in the elevator at the time..in that case, i was talking about you lol

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Sweetie,
I was not one of those on the elevator. I thought your lines were funny. I just thought that the word evil was a tad harsh. Other than that, I found your post amusing. No need for me to calm down.
Marty
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM
First Mate

lol ok lady

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Admiral

I like to walk into the elevator and stand facing the wall. Sometimes I like to talk to the voices in my head. I don't know why the other cruisers look so worried.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994