Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Admiral

Default The Stuff of Life

You’re kidding me, right?

You’re afraid of a germ?

I mean, you’re afraid of a doorknob.......?

And so, you go on your cruise, and sanitize your hands at every opportunity. You’re worried, you’re preventing disease, and you feel good about it.

You have a robust immune system, and you have a lot to be thankful for.

And yet your ancestors lived in the slime and the filth and the muck.........

Your ancestors had no hand sanitizers – they lived life as it came to them. They hunted and killed animals covered in slime and filth, and devoured them.

Your ancestors hunted, killed, and devoured filthy, germ-infested animals. They made do with what they had – germs and all.

And while some of them died, many more of them survived.

Your robust immune system is a direct result of your ancestor’s life in the filth and the muck.

Your ancestors feared no germ. So why should you? Your ancestors were made of pretty stern stuff. What are you made of?

Your ancestors sacrificed thousands for your robust immune system. Were it not for them, and the filth they consumed, you might not even be here to debate the matter.

It’s time to man-up. It’s time to throw out the sanitizers.

You value life? You value your immune system? Good for you!

It’s time to grasp that doorknob.

And hang on for dear life........

For germs are the stuff that life is made of.

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

However, the life expectancy for individuals was extremely low. So, thank you anyway, but I will continue to do what I need to do to make mine longer.
Marty
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Default Not afraid

I'm not afraid of germs, I'm am very afraid it will ruin my hard-earned, highly-paid cruise!

Rather be sick at home...

Sweet Sailing,

Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Admiral

I find the germophobics laughable and to be pitied. Living in such fear robs them of enjoying life. Practically they:

-Keep their kids from developing healthy immune systems.

-Could make their own worst fears come true by aiding in development of killer strains of drug resistant bacteria.

Normal precautions like handwashing are fine, but obssevie disinfection of every surface is not.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Doug,
In general, I agree with you. Although I don't have kids, nor do I overuse antibiotics, which is the primary cause of drug resistant "germs". I don't even try to sanitize every surface I come into contact with, but I do wash my hands more in a very public place like a cruise ship than I normally would and I carry a small hand sanitizer for when I can't wash my hands. I'm not truly germaphobic, just try to keep them away from my face, where there are multiple entry points.
And, no, that does not mean I'm a 3 eyed monster.
Marty
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Doug,
In general, I agree with you. Although I don't have kids, nor do I overuse antibiotics, which is the primary cause of drug resistant "germs". I don't even try to sanitize every surface I come into contact with, but I do wash my hands more in a very public place like a cruise ship than I normally would and I carry a small hand sanitizer for when I can't wash my hands. I'm not truly germaphobic, just try to keep them away from my face, where there are multiple entry points.
Marty
Nahh, you ain't even close Marty. I am speaking of those who post here proclaiming they use lysol or similar on every surface in the cabins, dip thier kids in sanitizer everytime they touch somthing and the like. My favorite was the person who posted they thought that the person removing the shell on the lobster with the same utensils each time was somehow "unsanitary."

Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Doug,
Marty
Nahh, you ain't even close Marty. I am speaking of those who post here proclaiming they use lysol or similar on every surface in the cabins, dip thier kids in sanitizer everytime they touch somthing and the like. My favorite was the person who posted they thought that the person removing the shell on the lobster with the same utensils each time was somehow "unsanitary." Another favoite was the person who brought her own sheets, pillows and pillowcases because she was deathly fearful of "catching somthing" from the cruiselines linen.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Captain

I really don't think many people out there are too worried about germs and/or getting sick. Do you have a break room at work? What does the table, sink and microwave usually look like after a day or two? Does it really look like alot of people over worried about cleanliness have been using the room? Most won't take the time to even wipe down the table or wash their dishes after eating. Many will leave dirty dishes in a break room sink for days then bi*** when a "germphope" comes along, is finally disgusted with it and just throws it away. Usually the "germphope" is just someone who is concerned about eating in a filthy facility...I guess if that's the case, I"m one of your phobics cause I'll throw that nasty thing out in a second.

You don't realize how many pigs are out there until you share a break room....God, I can imagine what their houses must look like. So no...I think the people over worried about germs (or just plain common courtesy) are actually quite rare. I guess if "maning up" means preparing food and eating around other peoples filth, then I'm going to have to find a different way to be a big stud. Also, many of our ancestors lived when the barber and the dentist were the same guy....A big no thanks to that too.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
You don't realize how many pigs are out there until you share a break room....God, I can imagine what their houses must look like. So no...I think the people over worried about germs (or just plain common courtesy) are actually quite rare. I guess if "maning up" means preparing food and eating around other peoples filth, then I'm going to have to find a different way to be a big stud. Also, many of our ancestors lived when the barber and the dentist were the same guy....A big no thanks to that too.
I know of what you speak. I stopped using the office fridge becuase of the stench and fear that somthing inside might eat my lunch and the containers it was in. I do not classify the person that disposes of days old dirty dishes as a germaphobe.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Admiral

You know I've always mocked germophobic parents a little. But you comments about our ancestors got me thinking.

My ancestors lived in pretty much a small geographical area. They didn't have much contact with the folks over in the next valley or whatever.

When the Europeans came to North America they spread much disease among the natives. Were the Europeans particularly sickly, did the natives had bad immune systems? No. They were just different.

In previous centuries few people in North America would care about Asian bird flu or Mexican swine flu. But now in a global economy we need to develop global immune systems.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Where did MeanDeans post come from? I though she was reacting to something above but could not find a post above the rant that kicked it off.

Confused on many levels. But I am taking it on board and the message is eat more dirt, is that right Dean?

"And yet your ancestors lived in the slime and the filth and the muck......... "

Which cruise line are you talking about here Dean that our ancestors lived in as you have now got my attention.

Or have you just presented a scenario that green_rd just blew away in lots of ways