Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Default People who try to avoid the Muster Drill

Okay here is a gripe I haven't seen before. My Elation Cruise they called the muster drill, my station was on Lido Deck. I could see a couple of 30 something men drinks in hand hanging out on lounge chairs totally igoring the muster drill call. While we who arrived on time waited. Because everyone must attend the Muster Drill. While these men sat without life jackets sipping their beers. :evil: Everyone else on the ship waited in the hot sun wearing the life jackets. I went to the carnival person directing the drill and pointed out the men sitting on the lounge chairs so we could get on with the drill. The Carnival people got the men down to their muster station.

EVERYONE HAS TO ATTEND THE MUSTER DRILL SO PUT DOWN YOUR DRINK AND GET YOU BASS DOWN TO YOUR STATION.

Okay I feel better now.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

I agree with you on this, trying to duck muster drill is irresponsible and a sign of immaturity. I do have to admit I prefer the way Princess holds the drill by assembling people in the public lounges, rather that under the lifeboats like RCCI, although it is hard to beat the comic effect of a bride in her gown shuffling along with her oh so attractive orange life jacket on.

The subject generated quite a heated thread on brand X cruise board. The most heat was from ridiculing those who hid in the bath to avoid the drill. On here there was minor heat when someone who later became staff on this board admitted to ducking the drill.

Grow up folks! It is at most 20 minutes out of your precious cruise!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Cant say anything but agree with the scentiment.

And yet another example of lines just ticking boxes regarding something has been "done".

They do it every 5 - 14 days or so, and it appears to be a nuisance to them and not what they actually want to do with that time,,its boring but its regulations.

And as passengers we may feel the same,,but its part of cruising, part of what is expected, part of safety.

Sorry, but if some folks are so ignorant and feel so self important that they can ignore the drill or refuse to take part,,then to me at the next port that is a kick them off crime. But again the line will not do that as they are potentially kicking off a very high spending but arrogant passenger,,,mmm safety and disrespect to others winning over potential dollars gained

But I will also bet that those that appear arrogant and ignorant to the drill will be crushing woman and children to get onto a life boat first if God forbid something went wrong on the ship.

Call them out lines, deal with them at the time. Show its wrong and what happens if you don’t take part in something so important that potentially could affect everyone and the whole ship. Even if it’s just to prove to the ones that do take part that this is important and it is not just a TICK in your Captains log before or during sailing.

I vote for a role call at the lifeboat station, tick in the box if there. If not then hard questions asked from the ships officers if you are reported absent. Does that make it too official? Maybe so but I cant think of anything more important regarding that ship and its passengers and safety

Oh and I do not endorse any advert that seems to appear with my thoughts.
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Captain

When I was in the USAF in navigator training, I thought "it's OK to skip checking my parachute, and it's OK to listen to a rock station over the headphones instead of commands for the pilot." But I got a rude awakening. The pilot called a bail-out drill, which I missed until I noticed all the crew was around the back door strapping on their chutes. I ran back for my chute, and it wasn't there (I hadn't checked before take-off). The pilot had noticed that I didn't check for it, and hid it to teach me a lesson. I learned, but we also had to make an emergency landing so I could change underwear!
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

They used to do roll call at muster drill. But, since they didn't know who was who, people, aka idiots, would have a friend call out for them. Before that, you actually had to sign in. But, that was back when a big cruise ship held 750 pax. Can't even imagine how long it would take now.
Marty
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I may wait up to 10 minutes once the drill is called, but I do go and quite enjoy them!! I usually get the front row by coming late--even if I leave after five minutes!

It is there for out safety, so do no skip it out!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Beginner

They actually had a clipboard and checked off our cabin and names on our last muster drill in August. First time that ever happened.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclaj
They actually had a clipboard and checked off our cabin and names on our last muster drill in August. First time that ever happened.
I never had that happen. What cruise line was that? Was it a smaller ship?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Beginner

It was on the Norwegian Jewel so it was a fair sized ship. All the muster stations were restaurants or bars and as we entered ours, they asked our cabin number and checked us off the list. I was rather impressed.
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Admiral

I did not realize that people were skiping the drill.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

On my first cruise the guy behind me at the drill got a call on his cell phone from his father. Seems the old guy fell asleep and woke up and couldn't figure out where everyone had gone! Hello! Do you not hear the announcements!!!

We actually did have to check in at the drill when we were on Disney. We also had to stand in order - shortest to tallest so everyone could be seen by the crew. Made the drill go quickly and I felt secure that my kids knew what to do in an emergency since they could see the demonstration.
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom
On my first cruise the guy behind me at the drill got a call on his cell phone from his father. Seems the old guy fell asleep and woke up and couldn't figure out where everyone had gone! Hello! Do you not hear the announcements!!!

We actually did have to check in at the drill when we were on Disney. We also had to stand in order - shortest to tallest so everyone could be seen by the crew. Made the drill go quickly and I felt secure that my kids knew what to do in an emergency since they could see the demonstration.
That is a great way of doing the drill.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have had to "check in" for every Muster Drill we have ever taken. I can't think of one time that they did not check off our cabin number.

The only one we missed was once when Puerto Rico was the Port of Debarkation. We were out shopping (I think the ship left port at 10PM or something like that) and came back to the ship around 5PM only to find out they had done the drill at 4PM. That seemed so silly to us - half the people had not even arrived in Puerto Rico yet!! That was on NCL...a long time ago.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Passenger

Coming from a person in charge of checking people in at the drills - PLEASE DON'T SKIP. We call roll by room, then have to hunt down people who don't show up. It is rude to other guests who have to wait when the drill could be a painless 10 minutes if everyone showed up. I've been doing the drills for 7 contracts and only on 12 occasions have I had perfect attendance.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Um... er... we missed one on QE2, we got totally lost going to find our lifejackets so we didn't go as we were so late...nobody seemed to miss us. It was a mistake & we have never done it before or since.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Default Clipboard and checking

They actually do that on RCCL. It has actually been something that speeds up the process. The lifejacket has cabin # and they know by clipboard the # of people in the cabin. When they are near the end and some cabin #'s and people aren't accounted for, crew finds them and we all give them the evil eye (others the one finger salute). They are really efficient. There's always someone who feels it doesn't apply to them.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

There are a LOT of people who skip the drill. More than you would ever know. Now that they have improved the drill somewhat as far as the actual wearing and retrieving of the life jackets that may help as that was one 'bugaboo' that folks didn't care for....

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Admiral

This may sound crazy but I don't mind the drill at all. The only time I experience this kind of activity is on a ship at the start of a cruise. Just part of the process, I am pleased that they care enough to make sure we are all safe in the unlikely event of a problem. Mike
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Only been on one cruise but waiting for everyone to show up for muster drill was a problem for my DH. Hes only 44 yr old but has mobility problems, wears out easy and has to use oxygen and a cane. Thankfully the staff helped us locate a chair from a nearby restaurant and allowed him to remain seated for muster drill. We were outside for the whole process. Seems like it took nearly 40 minutes from start till end. I know they took down cabin numbers from our life jackets and kept track of who was there. We were on NCL.

The people who dont show to muster drill are probably going to be the same ones pushing and shoving people to be the first in line on the life boats if an incident occurs. I wish people were more considerate and took the muster drill seriously. I mean if my DH can get to muster drill and go through the process then there is no reason in my opinion why anyone else shouldnt be able to. We are leaving on Carnival Conquest in three weeks and Im looking forward to muster drill because it means Im on the ship and its time to cruise!
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
First Mate

Default Sorry, Carnival

This is why I love Princess.

My Muster Drills were conducted inside. It seems the crew does a very efficient sweep. Not once did it take up more than 15 minutes of my time.

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
This is why I love Princess.

My Muster Drills were conducted inside. It seems the crew does a very efficient sweep. Not once did it take up more than 15 minutes of my time.
Princess does seem to have the best system.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Being focused on the safety instructions sitting in a cool theater, is far better,then standing 6 deep, on the deck, in the heat,and, almost fainting, as I have seen.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Default No life jackets

The last three cruises we have been on.. Princess, NCL and Celebrity...you just go to the meeting place, theatre or dining room WITHOUT your life jacket..On Celebrity they showed a film. Friend just told me they are did it on the Celebrity Summit too..must be a new procedure and our room #'s were checked off.
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean does it inside also. I think that they have found out that people did not like the old system.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
The last three cruises we have been on.. Princess, NCL and Celebrity...you just go to the meeting place, theatre or dining room WITHOUT your life jacket..On Celebrity they showed a film. Friend just told me they are did it on the Celebrity Summit too..must be a new procedure and our room #'s were checked off.
My May 2010 cruise on Carnival Splendor we didn't need life jackets. It's much nicer not wearing the jacket. They did have it outside. One cruise, I believe it was on Carnival Elation, we did the muster drill inside. It was very nice, I wish they did that on all the ships.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Admiral

I personally would prefer inside
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Royal Caribbean does it inside also. I think that they have found out that people did not like the old system.

TM
We just cruise the Freedom and we were outside but no life jackets needed. We had to show our Sea Pass Card. Only 1 announcement for a couple missing but it was over in 20 minutes.
New England/Canada

228 sea days soon to be 249
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Recent QM2 sailing - no roll taken, rooms not checked. They use the honor system. I met a few people who missed it. They offer a second one during the first day of the cruise as well, but attendance isn't checked at that either.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

They really should do one on the SI ferry and other ships of that ilk
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
Familiar Face

The crew hates this too. People who don't take safety seriously are the ones that end up making things bad for everyone in a real emergency.

We know you were in the war, and that you were on a ship....once. We don't say to you that we've been doing boat drill every week, for years. we're still there...taking our lives seriously, and yours..if you won't.

Oh well...those people are just the ones we knock out and throw into the boats. That's how we've been trained. If you're not going to cooperate, we'll knock you out...really. We don't care if you sue us...we're trying to save lives, and we won't deal with your alpha-male crap, or your panic because you weren't prepared. We'll just take you out of the equation, and keep trying to save lives.

So, take your lives seriously and you'll survive in the unlikely event of an emergency. If not...you'll survive with a black eye. Your choice.

If you're going to be one of "those" guests that think they're better than boat drill, at least make the effort to know your muster station, and where it is.

We also didn't appreciate guests who'd bring drinks and food. C'mon people...show some class. There isn't a buffet at boat drill, or bar service.

The lifejacket thing is funny though. In South America, we didn't make guests wear lifejackets, because we knew they wouldn't. In America, people toe the line and follow along much easier. I guess the police state is having an effect...we've noticed how docile it is back in the US, after dealing with people in Brazil and Chile who just won't do it. You don't need to take a lifejacket with you...they have them there, but you do need to go and take it seriously...without a drink. Your vacation starts AFTER boat drill. We've been trained about that too.

Last edited by radiofreebc; January 22nd, 2011 at 01:35 AM.