Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9
Default Don't tell me what you paid....

Once we have decided on a cruise and paid the fees, please don't tell me how much less you paid. First of all, I think talking about what one paid is gauche. It is even more gauche (or is it gaucher) to brag about how much money another passenger paid.

There will always be someone who paid more than we did and those who paid less -- that is life.

At the end of the winter (2-09) my car was stolen! Why someone wanted a 96 Neon is another story, but it was gone. It was a great time to buy a car -- every dealer was discounting and dealing. At a certain point, I decided I had to pick a car and get on with my life--there will always be a better deal out there. I relate this story because : A- I can't get over the fact that the car was stolen and B) There will always be a better deal.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
misguidedangel's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,670
Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default

FYI the 1996 Neon, 2 door or 4 door, is the #1 and #2 car of choice to steal. Somehow they are one of the easiest cars to steal. My mothers cousin had one and after it was stolen second time in a few years she opted to sell it and get a more anti-theft proof car cuz her insurance was going sky high!!! Both times it was taken for a joy ride and minimal external damage.
__________________




1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Surfguyxxx1's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Palm Bay FL and Princeton NJ
Posts: 667
Default

In the past, when I've booked a cruise, paid for it and found it cheaper, I've recieved money back. Just keep looking online for deals and it can happen to you too. The most I saved was $310, and that OK with me!
__________________
Horizon-12/03
Empress -10/04
Diamond-02/05
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

yiddishkopf, me thinks you are not being honest. The reason you say this is because someone told you they got "this" experience for less.

I love telling people how much cheaper I got this cruise, its an education for them, dont do line pre books 18 months in advance, do jump in early because you LOVe the line or the ship.

I once had a 10 day cruise in a proper suite with balcony for in UK money 25 pence, whats that 10C. I love telling that story and it beat all in how much they had paid to be there
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,831
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Actually I think cruisers delight in sharing their deals...not gauche, it's almost like a learning experience for many...I know someone who, once paid full brochure rate for a cruise..if they had asked someone...did you get a deal, maybe they would have too..OY!
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:24 AM
thasic's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dreamin' of Cruizin'
Posts: 147
Default

I don't want anyone telling me what they paid unless they tell me how I can save the same amount the next time I book a cruise. Come on, share the good tips!
__________________
I'ld Rather Be Cruisin'
Disney Magic February 4 2006
RCCL Freedom January 20 2008
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9
Default Not true....

I didn't post this because someone told me that they got it for less. I posted it, because (for me at least) once I make a decision to book a trip or purchase a car or anything else, I want to be done with it and not keep pursuing a better bargain.

However, if it makes you happy to tell, then go ahead. I can turn off my hearing - a talent one develops when one grows up in a very talkative family.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
momofmeg's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
FYI the 1996 Neon, 2 door or 4 door, is the #1 and #2 car of choice to steal. Somehow they are one of the easiest cars to steal. My mothers cousin had one and after it was stolen second time in a few years she opted to sell it and get a more anti-theft proof car cuz her insurance was going sky high!!! Both times it was taken for a joy ride and minimal external damage.
Really? I read it as the 95 Honda Civic-unfortunately, the car my daughter drives. I understand thieves "part them out" which means they take the car apart and sell the parts-for some reason the parts are worth a good bit.

I guess that # 1 stolen car in America list changes every so often-because many years ago when we drove a corolla, the corolla was it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,531
Default

I will not tell how much I paid.

Hope that it mkes someone happy.

I did get a free cruise to Vietnam some years ago. Did not have to tip or pay for shore excursions either.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9
Default To Manuel re free cruise

Manuel,

my significant other (Jack)did not want to try cruising because he had 250,000 miles under his belt courtesy of the US Navy. He was on the USSAlabama which is not a permanent shrine/museum in Mobile Bay.

I assurec him that the kind of cruising I like is much different than his experience on the Alabama. Once he got on the ship, he loved it. We took our first cruise in 2001 on HAL's Ryndam and recently booked out 5th . We've been many places but I've never been to Hawaii so that is where we are going.

Jack was at Pearl Harbor about a year after the attack and we have already booked our excursion there.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

yiddishkopf

Let me get this right, you can earn a quarter of a million "miles" by being in the Navy,,,,so cool.

Thats a loyalty card worth considering

My little joke, respect to you both
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,531
Default

viddishkopf, you will love Hawaii. We have been there twice and plan to go again.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,940
Default Re: To Manuel re free cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiddishkopf
Manuel,

my significant other (Jack)did not want to try cruising because he had 250,000 miles under his belt courtesy of the US Navy. He was on the USSAlabama which is not a permanent shrine/museum in Mobile Bay.

I assurec him that the kind of cruising I like is much different than his experience on the Alabama. Once he got on the ship, he loved it. We took our first cruise in 2001 on HAL's Ryndam and recently booked out 5th . We've been many places but I've never been to Hawaii so that is where we are going.

Jack was at Pearl Harbor about a year after the attack and we have already booked our excursion there.
My mom remembers one of her uncles had holes in his car. Because he and the car were on base for the attacks. He was fine and the car still ran. So he was very lucky.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20
Default Good deals not always true

Just because a person tells you how they got this really great deal doesn't mean it is true. I know people who delight in telling tall tales about their deal making ability.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,531
Default Re: Good deals not always true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog57
Just because a person tells you how they got this really great deal doesn't mean it is true. I know people who delight in telling tall tales about their deal making ability.
Wow,

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Yiddishkopf, that is a good lesson for you to keep all future Neons in a permanent state of cruise control.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Surfguyxxx1's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Palm Bay FL and Princeton NJ
Posts: 667
Default

How could you "NOT" want to find out what others paid so that the next time, you can get a great deal too!!
__________________
Horizon-12/03
Empress -10/04
Diamond-02/05
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM
thasic's Avatar
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dreamin' of Cruizin'
Posts: 147
Default

Hey, I got a really great deal! I got this little card in the mail from someone I never heard of before. It said I was such a good customer, at a store I never shop at, that I was getting an all expenses paid cruise!!! Wow! Can you believe it? Now I only have to call a phone number, give my credit card info, just for verification of course, and off I go. Can't wait!
__________________
I'ld Rather Be Cruisin'
Disney Magic February 4 2006
RCCL Freedom January 20 2008
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
Hey, I got a really great deal! I got this little card in the mail from someone I never heard of before. It said I was such a good customer, at a store I never shop at, that I was getting an all expenses paid cruise!!! Wow! Can you believe it? Now I only have to call a phone number, give my credit card info, just for verification of course, and off I go. Can't wait!
I can top that. I won the lotto in the UK. I have never been to the UK. But I'm sure I must have entered it. Anyway I just have to give all my personal information to this guy from Nigeria and then I get my money.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

How much did you win
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
How much did you win
20 Million Pounds. I bet you are super jealous.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
billbelt's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 312
Default

Sorry about thew little Neon---but wasn't it about time to "let go her?" About the prices you and I paid---isn't that just part of cruise "chit chat"? Who knows what will come up at dinner or at the bar?
__________________
Bill A. Belt
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,400
Default

My very first cruise I paid full price. After listening to people on board talk about what great deals they got for that cruise, I decided to do some research. Chatting about prices sure helped me.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAID FOR...WOOOOOHOOOO KACORPARENTS Carnival Cruise Lines 9 March 4th, 2008 11:11 AM
Cruise all paid for! cruisingrandma2007 Carnival Cruise Lines 10 January 26th, 2008 08:54 PM
Is my cruise paid off or not? LindaT Chit - Chat for Cruisers 5 August 3rd, 2005 07:48 AM
All paid Scoutdad Chit - Chat for Cruisers 9 July 21st, 2005 07:46 AM
How much are the others paid? Thomas Ask CruiseMates Staff 4 September 27th, 2002 11:43 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1