Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Default ELAVATORS

THE ONLY WAY TO GET TO THE 6THFLOOR ON gOLDEN AND gRANDIS TO GO TO THE FAR AFT ELEVATORS The others don't go to the 6th floor and since I am in a wheelchair I can't use the stairs then when an elevator does come by it is usually packed with others tring to get to the same place
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

And I will bet most of them could have taken the stairs, you must find that so frustrating
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Heck, I will usually take the stairs up if only going a few floors and down if going any number. I won't walk up ten flights but three or four after all the eating and drinking I use as a counter balance to assuage over-eaters guilt.

Also, I would relinquish the elevator to a wheelchair or pregnant lady or the elderly or what not. Just to be polite. You never know, they may be in front of you at the banquet and let you have the last piece of chocolate cake!
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
david30101

I never use the elevators. I can scale 8 decks faster then the elevators can go in most cases. . When the day comes to when I need assistance, that will be the day I stop taking cruises.
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Admiral

David 30101,
Believe me sonny, the day is coming and no matter how self absorbed you are, it will be sooner than you think. Or perhaps you are not mortal like the rest of us.

Perhaps you didn't notice that the original poster is in a wheelchair. [edited for content]

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Passenger

We also use the stairs as much as we can, saving the elevator for when we are going several floors away.

Thanks to the original poster - you have helped me realize how frustrating that must be if you can ONLY use the elevators and they are busy. I will always step out from now on if the car is full and the doors open to reveal someone in a wheelchair. I'm sure there are others who are not in a wheelchair but need the elevator - not always easy to ascertain. But at least I can make room for an obvious situation.
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Captain

My DH has often gotten off the elevator to allow people with walking problems on ..I cannot go down the stair as well as I use to but will walk up when possible
If someone in a wheelchair or scooter is waiting I think it is just common courtesy to allow them on first.

Do they even teach manners anymore
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
My DH has often gotten off the elevator to allow people with walking problems on ..I cannot go down the stair as well as I use to but will walk up when possible
If someone in a wheelchair or scooter is waiting I think it is just common courtesy to allow them on first.

Do they even teach manners anymore
The issue I was talking about is when one is riding a packed elevator and it stops at a floor to reveal a person in a wheelchair. It would be very kind to get OFF the elevator at that point and wait for the next one so the person in the wheelchair can get on. Though I can see where that would not always work - you would probably need for two or four people to step off in order to make room.

When there is a huge crowd waiting for the elevator, it's not always easy to make room for a wheelchair to get through ahead of everyone else.

Still, I like that we're having this discussion because awareness is very helpful!
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieinNapa View Post
The issue I was talking about is when one is riding a packed elevator and it stops at a floor to reveal a person in a wheelchair. It would be very kind to get OFF the elevator at that point and wait for the next one so the person in the wheelchair can get on.
If we are both going up both of us will get off & see if there is room for a wheelchair ..hopefully others will take the hint .
If we are going down I may get off & wait for another one if there is room for a chair....I do not do going down stairs well.
DH will take the stairs
some cruises you would wait all day if you are polite

I do have a problem with H/C people with scooters who will run you over to get someplace ahead of you
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
David 30101,
Believe me sonny, the day is coming and no matter how self absorbed you are, it will be sooner than you think. Or perhaps you are not mortal like the rest of us.

Perhaps you didn't notice that the original poster is in a wheelchair. do the words insensitive jerk ring a bell?
I knew somebody would take this wrong.....I know the person who posted originally was in a wheelchair. Im just saying..I NEVER USE ELEVATORS..Its a waste of time for me to use them. I can take stairs quicker. I save the space in the elevators for people who needs to use them. Call me what you think..I didnt post to offend anybody..Im just saying what I do. I use the gym about 5 days week and im in very good shape for my age.
What does me not being mortal have anything to do with it?..I know the day is comming..Untill then. im going to enjoy my life as much as possible..After that. I wont take anymore cruises....Boy..People are edgy these days..Blow there top over stupid things..
BTW..Mabie I am not mortal to some extent...How many 47 yo guys can beat the elevator up several decks these days? not very many..On my last cruise a couple months ago. I beat several kids (10-14yo) up stairs (5 flights)..Thats pretty sad in my book.

Last edited by david30101; December 27th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Good for you for mainaining your health. That is an attribute most of us should probably focus more on.

Furthermore, you make the elevators more available for people who must use them - like people who need wheelchairs, and for that you should be commended.

I have to say I could be more sensitive to wheelchairs and elevators. I often see people in wheelchairs trying to get on an elevator and if a packed one comes then I can't say I have ever seen anyone get out and offer their place to the less-abled.

But that would be a good trend to start.

What irks me is seeing able-bodied people using the elevator to go up one floor. Please, it slows everyone else down. But I try not to judge because you never really know someone else's personal story.
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Okay here is where I get flamed. Scooters are way different from wheelchairs. To me a wheelchair is a piece of medical equipment that a person has because they need it.

I have seen people in Scooters that are able to walk. They just don't want to walk so they use a scooter. If I see someone in a wheelchair that needs the elevator I will get out to allow the person on. However, if they are in a scooter it may or may not happen. Depends on the person and my mood that day. I can buy a scooter at target, but I can't buy a wheelchair there.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I once had a girlfriend whose dad needed a scooter, so her mom bought one to keep up with him. After awhile she was taking it everywhere, so I know what you mean. She was fully able to walk anywhere she wanted.

However, you can't assume that of everyone on a scooter. Some of them may have real problems. They may be too weak to even roll a wheelchair. So, I would not be too quick to judge.

But, when I see someone jump off a scooter to try on a dress,
yeah . But I can't say I see it that often.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Captain

Not all people with scooters are able to walk long distnaces but i do agree sometime they do not need one at all
Our friend who had a stroke years ago walks with a cane though it does take him 5 minutes to walk a few feet..he is partial paralyzed down his left side
his wife prefers he uses the scooter so she does not have to maneuver the wheelchair on her own
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Most people with 'scooters' have a genuine medical need for them.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

David, If you "knew someone would take it wrong," then you also knew it should have been worded differently. Perhaps you could have taken a little more care in posting it in the first place.

I use the stairs as often as I can too. But I would never dream of 'lording it over' others who are not able to do that. Also I find that now that I am 68 years old, I use the elevator more than I did when we first started cruising some 25 years ago.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

RichStacy...

I really like the variety of cruises you show in your cruise history. It looks like you taken the time to chose a good variety of exotic destinations.

While I understand the 7-day Caribbean getaway, particularly for those in cold climates, I also prefer to cruise as means of traveling the world. It's convenient, especially for those of us who don't get around as well as we used to....
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
Most people with 'scooters' have a genuine medical need for them.
True most people do. However, other people use them to have a good seat in the movie theater. For Proirity embarkation on cruises. Or to just run down people that get in thier way. I was on a cruise on infinity w/ a man using a scooter who had the need for it. However, I have seen a lot of scooter abuse. No one in a wheelchair has tried to run me down yet.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Okay - I think we have to be careful not to hurt anyone's feelings here, we are getting a little edgy for our PG-rated crowd here.

Having a disability is not funny, even though some of these comments are, and I don't want anyone who is truly disabled to think we are making fun of their situation. And I have also never had anyone on a scooter or a wheelchair intentionally try to run me down.
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm one of those, that rarely use the elevators. In most cases, you can use the stairs and arrive at your deck faster than any elevator. Its also a good mode of exercise, we all know, we eat way too much while cruising.

As for those in wheelchairs, they should have access to elevators, they have no choice, may-be we all need to consider their needs and use the stairs more often.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Sorry Paul I'm not trying to make fun of anyone with a physical disability. California is a state where we see more abuses of the ADA and it hurts the people that need the ADA to protect them when the frivolous lawsuits start. This article was written in July and Kimberly Block this was her fourth lawsuit. Here is a good example of what we are dealing with here. Every time Kimberly Block was able to "settle" a lawsuit she got paid and the details of the settlements are sealed. People like this (not the OP) are using their disability to black mail businesses. Public outcry made her drop this suit without a pay day. I don't think she expected him to just move the business either.
Facing suit, Sacramento burger joint plans to move - Dining - sacbee.com

BTW in today's Sacramento a teenager's mom sued the community theater because the wheelchair seating was not able in the orchestra level. There is wheelchair seating at the theater in the back, but not at the orchestra level. So they sued the city and the city is making changes at the estimated cost of $80K. The city also has paid $50,000 in trust to the teenager and $140,000 to the lawyer. It's odd that the lawyer got more money then the teenager.
Teen, city of Sacramento settle over disability access at theater - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

So my comments come from seeing stories like this. Most people with disabilities are honest people that don't take advantage of the system. I never meant my comments to hurt these people and I'm truly sorry of my attempts are humor were hurtful. I'm also sorry cause I just took the thread off topic. In future I will use the stairs and leave the elevators to people with a greater need then mine.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Admiral

While I agree in general that we all could be kinder and more considerate of each other than we are, I am disabled and if I couldn't laugh at myself now and again, I would go nuts. I am also blonde and love blonde jokes. Now, I'm quickly approaching "seniority" so can soon add senior moment jokes. But, always....just poking fun at myself. Kind thoughts to all.
Marty
P.S. to David. You may find yourself so addicted to cruising that you keep on doing it long after you can do those stairs. I did not think you were bragging or meant it as superiority at all. I used to be able to run the stairs, now I'm the one who refuses to give into the wheelchair except under dire circumstances when I have no choice. But, I still have to use the elevators.
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Admiral

You missed my point I was talking about abled bodied people taking lifts for two or three floors. Not those that actually need them
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
You missed my point I was talking about abled bodied people taking lifts for two or three floors. Not those that actually need them
Wrong David. Colorcrazie's post was for david30101 who said
Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101
I never use the elevators. I can scale 8 decks faster then the elevators can go in most cases. . When the day comes to when I need assistance, that will be the day I stop taking cruises.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Thank you, Katlady. Good to know that someone understood me!
Marty
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Admiral

I'm just used to getting the blame :-)
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Don't worry, DayvidB, when it is your fault, I'll let you know. No need to assume so.
Marty
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

So, David30101, from the photo I assume you are fairly young. I'm 48, in good health, a bit overweight but I can amble up the stairs. One day, the good Lord willing, I'll be elderly (elderly'er?). I hope to continue enjoying my life at that time. I intend to continue cruising. I guess when you get 'older' you intend what? To commit suicide? To stay at home in a darkened room? I'm willing to put money on the issue that you will continue to live your life as fully as possible. Maybe even cruise...
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Just to add some info here, I am quite sure that on many cruises, people think that I am just using a wheelchair for embarkation, etc. And that is true. But, it is not for any kind of selfish reason. One of my symptoms is that if I stand for any length of time, I get extremely weak and may even pass out. I use a cane with a fold down seat most of the time, but a long line means that even that is not adequate. And, I refuse to risk a bad fall or feeling sick for several days, which is what happens when the weakness hits, just to keep up appearances. So, please, folks, give others the benefit of the doubt. I refuse to concede defeat to my illness, but at times, it wins, I lose.
Marty
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Not everyone has a disability that is apparent. We can't judge a person on a scooter just by looking at them. There are many, many reasons why a person might need assistance that do not include total paralysis. Just because a person doesn't LOOK sick does not mean they are not. And just because they can stand or walk a short distance does not mean they don't need a scooter to get around.