Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Which port has the pushiest vendor?
Cartagena, Columbia 5 8.20%
Enseneda, Mexico 5 8.20%
Ocho Rios, Jamaica 25 40.98%
Acapulco, Mexico 2 3.28%
Montego Bay, Jamaica 8 13.11%
Other (please state the port) 16 26.23%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Default Which port has the pushiest vendors???

So someone posted that in Acapulco, Mexico the vendors are more pushy then in Cartagena, Columbia. Which lead me to ask this question. Which port has the pushiest vendors? I will put 6 choices in the poll so one of them will be other. If you mark other please state which port. This is my first poll on the new format so hopefully I will be it right.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; November 18th, 2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Don't need the poll answers twice.
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

That was a tough question because both Cartagena and Jamaica have ruthless ( they have no ruth) taxicab drivers, but in cartegena I was actually pulled away from my friends and put in a separate cab from them.

Then, as soon as i was in the cab i was asked "so, what kind of drugs do you want?" The guy was unstoppable.

I was never so happy as to get into town, I thought we were going to be kidnapped!
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Banned
Captain

I know I speak for a lot of people when I say the guys outside the gates at Ochos Rios WILL NOT take no for an answer....
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This was a hard one because I haven't been to Cartegena or Ensenada and I've heard the vendors there are ruthless.

I voted for Ocho Rios. On my first three visits we were hassled by vendors and on the third visit I actually felt somewhat unsafe. My last visit in April my Son-in-law and I walked all over Ocho Rios and only had a couple of people approach us. Most of them were to comment on the Liverpool Football Jersey I was wearing.

The vendors at Dunn's River Falls hold the title of "Most Pushy Vendors" in the world. They are almost ruthless.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Admiral

I voted Ensenada. I haven't been to some of the other places. But, Ensenada has what I call "the tourist gauntlet." The ship docks in Ensenada in order to get into town everyone has to walk over this bridge. That is where the vendors and thier childern wait for you. They try to sell you wind chimes and chicketts.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Admiral

In my travels so far the vendors on St Lucia win hands down. They attacked our tour boat in kayaks and did not understand the word no. I had to dump one off of his kayak becuase he was about to run me over when I was trying to reboard the catamaran, boy was he p***ed. Ocho Rios comes in a close second but at least they grasp the concept of both the letters "N" and "O" when placed together.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with Doug, St. Lucia wins hands down. My DW's cousins are 5'2" and were really getting harassed to the point of tears. I (6'5") stepped in and told them to knock it off. Two of the leaders of their group started shouting I was racist, believe me it was ugly. Luckily 8 more from our ship joined in, and we were able to move along peacefully.
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Wow good to know about St. Lucia I never know the vendors were pushy there.:eek:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Did not vote on this one's options as the place I could not walk down a street and passed the shops without the shopkeepers giving you hassle and nearly dragging you off the streeet was in Turkey, Egypt / North Africa next in the list due to the begging. If we are talking global cruising then there is worse than what you experience in the Carib
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Hi DayvidB I have only been to one Caribbean port (St. Marteen). Enseneda and Acapulco are not in the Caribbean. Enseneda is in Mexican state of Baja California. Which is not near the Caribbean. It's about the distance from Lisbon to Edinburgh.

I have been on a Transatlantic cruise that included; Livorno, Funchal, Malaga, and Civitavecchia. However, I didn't find the vendors pushy in any of these ports so I don't include them in the poll. I have cruised to Alaska and Canada, these port also didn't have pushy vendors so I didn't include these ports.

I put "Other" because I was love to hear globally which ports and have pushy vendors. Please let me know which ports in Turkey, Egypt / North Africa have pushy vendors.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; November 21st, 2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: adding Acapulco.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Roatan is currently at the top of my list. I love the port, just as I love Jamaica, but in Roatan, kids will follow you in droves saying "Give me a dollar". A very emphatic "NO" sends one or two away, but I actually saw a woman panic and go running down the street, with kids chasing her. Her hubby was quite a bit ahead of her and not paying attention. Guess she had no idea how to get the kids to go away. I'm betting she fell for it and gave one of them a buck, which is like giving a pack of wolves a tiny bit of your blood. Feeding frenzy time.

Marty
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Thumbs down

We found Ochos Rios the worst especially the taxi drivers.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Admiral

This is true. DW and I got out of the van on our excursion and as soon as we cleared the back bumper this guy runs up to her and puts a necklace around her neck and said "give me $2.00". She took it off and said no thanks and the guy refused to take the necklace back. After me talking to him for a bit he took it back. I voted Ensenada, but my post is referring to Ocho Rios.

Last edited by seadog2; November 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: did not mention which port
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Admiral

This is interesting I heard Jamacia is bad, but not to many people picked Montego Bay. Lots of people are picking Ochos Rios so does that mean Montego Bay doesn't have as many pushy vendors? Or does it just mean more cruise ships stop in Ochos Rios?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Excellent question, Katlady. So many of our shared experiences are based on how many people go to a particular place. And that depends (for this group) on how many ships go to those places. Like the way you think!
Marty
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Did not vote on this one's options as the place I could not walk down a street and passed the shops without the shopkeepers giving you hassle and nearly dragging you off the street was in Turkey, Egypt / North Africa next in the list due to the begging. If we are talking global cruising then there is worse than what you experience in the Carib
Dayvid:

This is one of those instances where one person's experience differs from another. While the vendors and shop keepers in Cairo and Turkey were aggressive they were by no means the worst I've encountered. They never grabbed us nor continued to follow us after we said no or "no thank you." as they have in Ocho Rios or even Beijing.

We did have one vendor in the Cairo market that had a line that we still laugh about: "Tell me how I can take your money.".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Mike, I appreciate that, cultures are different. Personally I just want to smack them in the mouth for giving me grief...GO AWAY.

Dont these ports we stop in within the world get feed back on "customer" experience? Where are the "tourist police" to help stop people getting hassled by those that spoil the persons experience?

Lets be honest through legitimate income these places make a lot of money and have positioned themselves as a place worthy of accepting people on vacation and on a cruise ship. I'm not looking for Disneyland when I visit a place, but I do expect the country or city I am visiting to be "responsible" for the actions or uncomfort that their citizens can inflict on the people that this place wants income from.

Put it this way in any of our home port cities, would you or your police force expect your visitors to put up with this type of behaviour as an "experience" of your place?
Old November 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie View Post
Excellent question, Katlady. So many of our shared experiences are based on how many people go to a particular place. And that depends (for this group) on how many ships go to those places. Like the way you think!
Marty
I sincerely believe if more people had been to Enseneda it would score a lot higher. They sick their kids on you and if you show money they will chase you down the street.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Familiar Face

Florence and Pisa were the worst. The women selling scarves are relentless and will be all over you if you so much as glance at them. One woman at the Leaning Tower of Pisa actually started feeling my braids til I pushed her hand away, and I hope she was complimenting the braids and not cursing me because I couldn't understand a word she was saying. Funny thing is, though, that once we said something about being from America they always left us alone. I was on a ship excursion and about 6 of us stayed together and we noticed how they left us every time when we mentioned America. It got to the point that as soon as one came near me I would yell "American". It's funny now, but at the time it was scary cause you just don't know how far they'll go to get you buy something, especially when 3 or 4 all come up to you at once.
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
That was a tough question because both Cartagena and Jamaica have ruthless ( they have no ruth) taxicab drivers, but in cartegena I was actually pulled away from my friends and put in a separate cab from them.

Then, as soon as i was in the cab i was asked "so, what kind of drugs do you want?" The guy was unstoppable.

I was never so happy as to get into town, I thought we were going to be kidnapped!
Paul, before we booked our partial Panama canal cruise, we considered the Island Princess. We chose HAL Zuiderdam because it goes to the private island instead of Jamaica, and Curacao, instead of Cartagena. I heard Cartagena was worse than Jamaica, well Jamaica was bad enough! So we chose HAL.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Mike, I appreciate that, cultures are different. Personally I just want to smack them in the mouth for giving me grief...GO AWAY.

Dont these ports we stop in within the world get feed back on "customer" experience? Where are the "tourist police" to help stop people getting hassled by those that spoil the persons experience?

Lets be honest through legitimate income these places make a lot of money and have positioned themselves as a place worthy of accepting people on vacation and on a cruise ship. I'm not looking for Disneyland when I visit a place, but I do expect the country or city I am visiting to be "responsible" for the actions or uncomfort that their citizens can inflict on the people that this place wants income from.

Put it this way in any of our home port cities, would you or your police force expect your visitors to put up with this type of behaviour as an "experience" of your place?
David! In Paris we saw these guys every where trying to sell Eiffel Tower keychains, but if they saw a policeman they would scramble. It does seem that there they do try to control them in France, there were just too many. I had to laugh too-how many Eiffel tower keychains did they think we would want to buy, but yet they were everywhere asking. It looked to me some of those guys would come up with something else to sell.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old December 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
This is true. DW and I got out of the van on our excursion and as soon as we cleared the back bumper this guy runs up to her and puts a necklace around her neck and said "give me $2.00". She took it off and said no thanks and the guy refused to take the necklace back. After me talking to him for a bit he took it back. I voted Ensenada, but my post is referring to Ocho Rios.
This was done to me as I was struggling up the Dunn River Falls-! He made me MAD-I took it off and said NO THANKS very loud.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old December 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Admiral

I don't think that vendors anywhere in the world can be any pushier than in Ocho Rios.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Those of us who grew up in border states already know about Mexican vendors. If you drove into Mexico you had to get in a line of cars to re-enter - the kids would come along and reach inside your car - putting trinkets on your dash and then asking for money. It was truly sad and you couldn't stop them.

It's a shame what happens in these poorer countries but just think of how they feel about us. Giving them a dollar or two would mean nothing to most of us, but we don't because we know they will never go away if we did.

The thing is the govt's should understand how much this hurts their legitimate tourist business.
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Captain

Our last cruise we went to Cartagena and Jamaica both. I can tell you hands down that Cartagena, Columbia wins hands down. I have never been accosted by vendors anywhere like we were in Cartagena. There must of been 5 vendors for each tourist! My wife and I have both stated that if we ever get to Cartagena again that we will just stay on the ship.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Passenger

I voted for Ensenada, because the one and only short cruise I will ever go on (Viking Serenade 1995) stopped there. The number of Chiclets in Ensenada alone would fill an NFL stadium. I actually felt sorry for the (and I don't mean to be offensive) little dirty raggedy kids and their mothers/aunts...whoever... sitting on every sidewalk. They are "Indian", and not really "Mexican". ...according to the locals, who barely even recognize them as humans. I realize it's a way of living for these people. Interestingly, I've never had a problem during my two stops at Ocho Rios! I just got off the ship and walked to Margaritaville. Montego Bay - different story. Don't even get off the ship now. St. Thomas has very pushy taxi/open-air van drivers, and people every 5 feet handing out flyers. Hate STT! Last cruise ship stop in St. Lucia was on Celebrity in 1992, and no problems. Have been there many times since on private tall ship and smaller vessels, anchoring at non-cruise ship stops. No problems once off the "beaten path". Just my experiences.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Admiral

That's funny I took that same cruise on the Viking Serenade in 1994 for my honeymoon. Last time I was in Ensenada was in 2007. The same poor childern and moms/aunts they still had the Chiclets they also were selling wind chimes I was thinking of buying one and the saw my cash. WOW we had to run down the street I thought they were going to rip the money from my hand. So I have no mexican wind chime. If we do a cruise the stops at Ensenada again I will go to mario's silver shop for a new purse (I got the cutest purse in that store) then head back to the ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Captain

The pushiest vendors that I have found were in Puerto Valatra Mexico. I hated to be this way but the best way was just not to make eye contact and just keep going. The sad part is that there were a few stores that I would have gone into but just passed them by because of the aggressive sales nature of some of the store owners.

That said, in some of the other ports in Mexico the vendors were not pushy at all.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not the vendors, but the cab drivers in Grenada are relentless, and will walk along with you as you try and navigate...Since they drive on the other side, and the police are trying to get everyone to look and cross the street without getting killed, to have these cabbies, talking in your ,and, and trying to get you to go with them, almost made me take the tender back to the ship;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Pushy vendors

On one of our very first cruises we were in Ocho Rios in Jamaica.. and I had never felt so threatened by vendors.. Yet, in Cartegena a simple "no gracious" would do.. and we spent a week there once and have been back by cruise ship and I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. Maybe I've matured, but I realize these vendors need to make money and must try.. The latest "adventure" with vendors was in a flea market in Antigua...scary, but Parrot Pop wanted a cane and the other vendors were relentless. There is a major problem in Jamaica and the Government is/was threatening to take some of the overly aggressive vendors to court, but I don't know if it ever happened..