Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Familiar Face

I think the launching of these mega ships is a good thing in that it offers more choices to those who vacation. The Oasis is stunning and yes, unless you have been aboard, much of her spectacle cannot be envisioned. You have to see her. But she and others like her will NOT replace the smaller, more intimate cruises based on ports of call. Personally, I prefer this style of cruising to the mega ships but I work in Las Vegas so the mega ships really hold no interest for me.

As to the entertainment, I think it's great the ships are bringing on brand names like "Hairspray" and "Blue Man Group", but by doing so, they are dumbing down the brands in that, it's just another place where you can see these shows.

What Steve Wynn did in Las Vegas, as well as Cirque du Soleil, is create spectacle that you can ONLY see in Las Vegas. They created the 'Show as Destination' option. There are no videos or DVDS to buy of their permanently installed shows guaranteeing that if you want to see LOVE , or Le Reve, or KA, or O ... or even La Nouba in Orlando ... you have to GO TO THOSE PLACES TO SEE THEM! The residual increase to their bottom line is stunning as the audiences who seek out shows first then purchase from the venues, or gamble there, or book rooms there, etc. etc. This is a huge demographic btw.

RCI missed the boat on this concept. "Oasis of Dreams" could have been that show for them, the FIRST destination show at sea but their PR department had no idea how to market it. The Director's resume alone would have the aforementioned demographic flocking to the ship just to see the show but no one even knows who he is. The safety personnel was from "O" ... the lighting designer from Celine Dion's "A New Day". The music is an original score, composed by Michael Brennan, the current Music Director at "Le Reve" and past MD for "Avenue Q", "Lion King", "Mamma Mia" to name just a few. Because it is an original score, RCI has the first opportunity to market a soundtrack here. The money Cirque makes annually on the sale of their music is in the millions.

The creative team associated with "Oasis of Dreams" was some of the best in the business. But they are gone now and RCI is left to try to figure out what to do with their now busted theater.

Oh yeah, and the GMA spot? It was one of the worst bits of coverage I have ever seen. For a brand as big as RCI to miss the mark on this one was stunning. That was their opportunity to show the world they had a destination show on their ship ... not just another group of synchronized swimmers.

But that said, I have no doubt The Oasis will be highly successful, as I believe the other Mega ships will also. I think people get so embroiled in their own likes and dislikes that they forget it's a great big world out there and that the more choices you present to the public, the bigger the audience you receive in return.

I want to go on SilverSpirit! Just had to say that.
Old December 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Admiral

olderparty, you said perfectly what I was trying to say

"they are dumbing down the brands in that, it's just another place where you can see these shows"

Your post was very good.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Captain

I have no comments, as we consider a 700 passenger cruise ship as too big! But I do have questions.

How do they handle passengers' entry and exit on these super mega ships? Do they have more than one point of entry/exit, or what?

How do they allow passengers reasonable access to the pursers' desk, the excursion desk, the future cruise consultants, the art auctions, and the like? Do they have multiples of these facilities?

How do they handle fixed time and seating dining without creating HUGE lines? Do they have multiple regular dining rooms, or what?

How is room service handled? Do they have multiple room service kitchens, a very limited room service menu, or what?

How is passenger traffic into and out of the shows handled?
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Admiral

I got off the Oasis a week ago and I can answer some ofyour questions.

Embarkation and dis-embarkation was a breeze. The crowds at all the shows were no problem at all, everything is very well organized and we never felt crowded.
We had a wonderful cruise and will do the Oasis again. I don't think the ship is too big. Sometimes bigger is better.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*

Last edited by Manuel; May 4th, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spell
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This what I am reading online as well from "CruiseGuy" - a cruise writer from Miami who is onboard right now.

Did you happen to try 150 Central Park?
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Admiral

We did not try 150 Central Park, but we will have to try the similar facility on the Allure.

A cruise on the Oasis is a lot of fun, and the ship is not too big at all. If you are afraid of a big ship you can go else where, but those who sail on the Oasis have a wonderfull cruise.

There were a lot of young people aboard, but I also met a lady who was celebrating her96th. birthday. And she booked another cruise on the Oasis.
I was also happy to meet many fellow veterans.

So I will sum up by saying,[ the ship is not too big but it offers fun for people od all ages ]

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Last edited by Manuel; May 27th, 2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: sp.
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I think they are too big! I have cruised Mariner of the Seas twice and that is the max for me. You tend to get lost in the crowd. Especially if you are a single cruiser. You may meet a lady at some point and never see her again. I prefer Vision class size. I don't need all those alternative restaurants either. Especially the ones you have to pay extra for. One main pool deck is good enough. You get to meet and know people more easily. I am taking first Radiance cruise next month and look forward to trying this ship. I don't care for the shopping mall effect of the interior promenade. I like the traditional out side promenade deck. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave View Post
I think they are too big! You tend to get lost in the crowd. Especially if you are a single cruiser. You may meet a lady at some point and never see her again. 8)
If you meet a lady and don't see her again, it may not be because of the size of the ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old September 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

:o

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Captain

Manuel:

I'm not "afraid" of big ships, but I do remember big lines and crowds at dinner, show entry, pursers desk, excursion desk, and especially embarkation/disembarkation doors on ships with only 2000 passengers. Common sense tells me that these facilities couldn't handle 5000 passengers without an absolute mob scene. Surely, these huge ships must have added multiple facilities, but I don't know. So before booking on such a large ship, I would want specific answers to my questions in my post 6 posts above.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul,

I thought that the Epic (with its flawed interior design) was too big and much too crowded; however the RCCL Adventure of the Seas seemed very nice size wise and even at a full ship, there were few crowds. So it can be possible to have large ships and few crowds, based on the design.
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
anything over 65,000 GRT is too big for me
we prefer the small Oceania ships but may be interested in the new Marina.
Time will tell
We prefer more port intensive cruises & do not need to be constantly entertained onboard.
We like the open dining & you get to met people again & again on the ship
But I am sure lots of people will make the ship their holiday destination instead of the ports of call
We still pick the ship for the ports though I luv sea days more than my OH
Our first cruise was on Celebrity Infinity at 96,000 GRT then we went to Sea Princess which at 69,000 GRT I thought would be small. To my surprise it was a great ship and had more smaller areas to enjoy.
We liked HA Maasdam for its smaller passenger size but as an older ship its balconies are priced more than they should be due to limitation.
Larger ships have a greater percentage of balconies which makes the selection of a cruise more attainable and affordable..

I might go on a large ship down the road as in 5,000 but the logistics of flights, transfers and meals and noise with so many, kind of worry me.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Default Larger ships

After cruising the Pacific Princess, what was once a jewel of a ship, I was especially disappointed in the crowded buffet area and continual lack of seats there and the tables in the MDR set so close together. It was with trepidation that we sailed on the Soltice because of it's size... but surprisingly enough NEVER found it crowded or long lines.. The only "problem" was getting from the MDR area to the specialty restaurants on the other side of the ship. The only redeeming moments was walking through an installation of artwork called "Night Soltice".a wonderful multi-media piece that blew my mind everytime we walked through.. I understand there is one of her works on the Equinox with a place to sit. Now, on the NCL Gem it always felt crowded.. never a place to sit in the Atrium, long lines and crowded hallways. One day i look forward to going back on their smaller more intimate ships like the Constellation.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Default It's not the size that counts...

But how it is handled.

A properly efficient ship requires a properly efficient crew.

If the layout and personnel can handle a large crowd, then kudos to the line!

It's all in how it is handled.

Sweet Sailing!

Old October 19th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
But how it is handled.

A properly efficient ship requires a properly efficient crew.

If the layout and personnel can handle a large crowd, then kudos to the line!

It's all in how it is handled.

Sweet Sailing!

Very well said!

And that is what happens on the Oasis. The layout and the many venues on the ship does not concentrate people in any given area.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old October 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Admiral

They are too big for some, it depends on whether as an individual you want the shopping mall experience or the more personal shopping experience. Ship sizes now I'm afraid give nothing to the personal experience. Yes it glitzy and all the bells and whistles, but is it a true cruising experience?

As soon as I meet an unacceptable line or Q for anything on a ship either for eating, bar service or getting off the gang plank then itís too big. In my head I'm cruising on a floating modern mall and all that goes with it
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Familiar Face

I won't go on the Epic simply because she has no Outside cabins.
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Captain

I looked at the Epic deck plans on the NCL site, and indeed she has none of what most of us would call "Outside state rooms". It looks like all staterooms except the inside ones are balcony staterooms.
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

all of Epic's outside cabins have balconies.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I found the Mariner of the Seas to big & noisy for my liking. I would prefer someting smaller about 1900 to 2200 passengers.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Cool Larger ships

Have just disembarked from the Celebrity Equinox (had been on the Soltice in April) and except for the buffet on a sea day did I ever, ever feel the ship was crowded. The crew was the most fantastic I've ever run across and helpful.
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
First Mate

Default Outside Promenade

Is there an outside Promenade on the Oasis class ships? It looks like the only ocean views are from the pool/sports decks and outside balconies. Radiance Class ships are the largest we have been on and the Serenade of the Seas looked huge to us. However, with lots of glass and walking areas you did, at least, feel like you were "at sea".

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

After the recent emegrency with the Splendor I think that I would NEVER want to be on a ship larger than the Splendor when a emergency happens. The Splendor as a LOT of open deck space. I don't see that on many of the RCI ships and especially the Monsters of the Sea ships just launched. Just imagine that it was one of RCI's larger ships that had this problem, how would they handle it?

No, keep ships sizes moderate in size.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:33 AM
First Mate

The Norwegian Pearl is enough ship for me. It has some bells & whistles---climbing wall,& bowling alley.

I don't need to feel as if I'm on a floating city, since I cruise to relax. When I'm on vacation, I want to get away from hustle bustle.

Barb
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:18 AM
First Mate

Meh. I work with tourists all day long, every day at the largest tourist destination in the US of A, of not the world. (I'm sure you can figure it out). When I go on vacation, I don't want that many tourists around me. I've only cruised twice. First time on a Spirit class, the Costa Atlantica, and I enjoyed that size of ship. 2nd cruise was on a Fantasy class, the Imagination. I am a military brat and I grew up around the world, and for me it really is more about the destination. I care where I go more than I care about how I get there, having gotten there many a times on C-130s and C-141s. Heh, most people would be aghast at the conditions of flying on such beasts. But regardless, I want to see things. I want to be there and enjoy it. Getting there is only part of of. That being said, for me it comes back to the number of people. For that many days on a vacation, I would not want to be near that many people. No way, no how.

And last year when I was on the Atlantica, we were docked at Port Everglades next to the Oasis, and again in St Thomas, and personally, from the exterior, I think she's UGLY. I'm reminded of some kind of 60's era communist block apartment building where everyone is out on their balcony looking at what everyone else is doing.

And I've rambled enough. I think I got my opinions across, and why.

s/n ... I work in the hotel side of things, and I will say I am always impressed at how the cruise lines handle a turn like they do.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Captain

Default When is a cruise no longer a cruise?

When is a cruise no longer a cruise? At some point it appears to morph into a floating theme park-from what Paul has reported the Allure is a prime example. Do we need another ship full of cartoon characters? Leave that to Disney. About 9 or 10 years back, I read an article about cruising that stated that only 10% of North Americans had been on a cruise-that 95% were repeaters. So obviously there was a huge untapped market out there which every line has been trying to attract and I'm assuming that market is young adults and children. But in the process they have resorted to building ships that are designed to create the illusion that you're not actually on a ship at all It's no longer about the destinations-these mega ships are very restricted when it comes to ports of call. How many of them have promenade decks with chaises where you can read, snooze or just people watch? How many restaurants do we need? I can line up for shows in Vegas.
I've no doubt that these ships are truly amazing and I'd love to go aboard for a tour,even spend a night but I hope there are many more cruisers out there who still prefer the traditional cruising experience and that the mainstream lines will continue to maintain the smaller (2000 passengers and less) ships. Possibly even build new ones. I was delighted when I heard that Celebrity was "solsticizing" the Millinium class-hopefully the other lines will follow suit. There's a lot of seniors out there besides myself;-)
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette