Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Empty dirty tables

Two things that irk me a lot...

Seeing a lot of empty tables and being told a restaurant is full. I can see empty tables. But even worse...

Unbussed tables in the buffet area.

If there is ONE thing any LIDO buffet manager should be able to do it should be making sure people have a place to sit. Don't you just wonder "what the heck?" when you are walking around a buffet and cannot find an empty but clean table. You see half the tables are empty, but stacked with dishes.

The next time I see that, I think I'll walk up to the manager and ask him, "Do you need a hand cleaning up the tables? I'll be glad to help."
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Admiral

It turns out they really don't like it when you start bussing your own table. If I can see a bunch of unbussed tables. I pick one and start clearing it. It doesn't take to long before someone comes over to help me. Sometimes the passive aggressive approach is your best bet.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I remember one ship - one of the early all-American crew cruise ships, that was famous for bad waiters. I have a picture of four them standing around while a bunch of table remained untouched.

I know what you mean about passive agressive, I do it, too. I just don;t get why they dont see the dirty tables until we do. Don't they see us looking around for a place to sit.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Default Dirty tables in the buffet area

In April we were on the Pacific Princess and went for lunch and there were dirty tables all over the place...and other people just sitting and reading or talking.. My husband went up to the Maitre de and asked when the tables were going to be cleaned... it took him a few minutes to realize that the tables were dirty..He made a phone call and tables were cleaned. What was of interest was that that there were cards on the table that you could turn up to say "I'm at the buffet" or "I'm finished"...On the other hand the NCL Gem we just disembarked from..had a crew that was constantly replenishing the wrapped silverware and cleaning tables.. And yes...we didn't mind asking people who had empty seats if we could join them on either cruise.. Now that Parrot Pop uses a walker it's even more important to find a table he can get to without squeezing between c hairs and tables.. NCL had approx. four designated tables for handicapped cruisers with wheelchairs and walkers....thoughtful touch.. and oh yes..not all the handicapped were elderly
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Asking someone if you can join them is always the best option - just look for someone cheerful. Someone sitting alone is usually a good bet, you aren't interuppting their conversation and they might even welcome a little company.

That is one way cruise ships are different - not everyone keeps to themselves all the time.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Maybe its the luck or actually not the luck of the ships I have sailed on when it comes to buffet, especially breakfast......They are crap at it, not the choice, not the food quality but there is nothing worse to start my day off than wandering around the sitting area of a buffet trying to find a table.

If the tables empty but full of crap I will gladly take it and shove all the crap to one side just to sit down and eat my meal whilst hot.

But what really gets me is table hogging, you've done it, had breakfast, had your lunch but your STILL sitting on a table that that others want to use to eat on.

The dining room Policeman should be saying are you finished, then please move on as others are waiting,,and in a nice way. If not prompted some will sit there like HELLO, I dont see the problem, its a table....GRRRRR

Me I'm drawing daggers walking around and my food is getting cold at the same time.

God I just wish people would think about people and those people that come behind them, if they did then we have no problem

Last edited by DayvidB; January 8th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Captain

I have occasionally seen tables that were not immediately cleared on Celebrity, Princess and Holland America. It is most certainly NOT unique to any particular mainstream cruise line. For the most part, I think the wait staff does a good job in trying to keep up with the massive amount of diners.

I do think part of the problem is waiters who are not sure if the people are finished or are returning to get something else to eat. I love the idea of a card or something that the diners could just turn over when they are finished.

As for table hogs, who want to sit all day, unfortunately those kinds of people are always going to be around.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Default Add To The List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Maybe its the luck or actually not the luck of the ships I have sailed on when it comes to buffet, especially breakfast......They are crap at it, not the choice, not the food quality but there is nothing worse to start my day off than wandering around the sitting area of a buffet trying to find a table.

If the tables empty but full of crap I will gladly take it and shove all the crap to one side just to sit down and eat my meal whilst hot.

But what really gets me is table hogging, you've done it, had breakfast, had your lunch but your STILL sitting on a table that that others want to use to eat on.

The dining room Policeman should be saying are you finished, then please move on as others are waiting,,and in a nice way. If not prompted some will sit there like HELLO, I dont see the problem, its a table....GRRRRR

Me I'm drawing daggers walking around and my food is getting cold at the same time.

God I just wish people would think about people and those people that come behind them, if they did then we have no problem

You forgot to add to the list the people who play cards in the b uffet area..lol We did ask to join a table at breakfast and grudgingly the man said okay.. When we talked to his son he kept giving us dirty looks.. it seems according to him he likes peace and quiet at breakfast..lol On the other hand we have met some lovely people. Before he had his rollator recently Parrot Pop walked with a cane and was quite unsteady once he was able to find a seat at a table and on a rocky crossing...he was all set. Yes, we could have gone to the main dining room and did but for breakfast on s hips prefer the buffet. On this particular Princess ship the idea was to first find a table..and put your camera and belongings on it..\ On the other hand...on our latest cruise tables were constantly being cleaned there was abundant staff in the area to keep the area clean and tables wiped down...and in several cases find you a table.
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Everybody mentioned the problem with the Buffet, It's just like a major Freeway, certine hours are more conjested then others.

Just try to make the Main Dining room for Breakfast and Lunch.

Chow
Danny
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Captain

I try to eat at irregular times as to avoid the buffet rush when I eat at the buffet. To be honest, most breakfasts we eat in our room or on our balcony.
If we do eat the buffet we just make sure it is a little later then most people do and keep the portions smaller as not to ruin our supper in the MDR.

Happy Sailings
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15