Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Waiters who disappear

Is there anything worse - you get delivered a plate of reasonably hot food, but you need one item before you start eating; butter, salt, a fork... and your waiter is nowhere in sight and never shows up.

Usually it happens when someone else delivers your food because your waiter is having a smoke or something. He won't be back for five minutes and he thinks everything is covered because he asked someone to deliver your food.

All the other waiters have blinders on because you aren't in their section.

What do you do - get up and take it from another table, sit there and steam, or flag down another waiter (which isn't always that easy).
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Admiral

I steam for a few minutes then, if what I want is on an unoccupied nearby table, I get up and get it myself (salt, pepper, cutlery...). I've also been known to help myself from the waiter's station !

If it's something from the kitchen that I need I usually wait until the waiter or the assistant waiter comes back, but I might flag down another waiter if my food is getting cold .

These situations don't happen often, but when they do it generally attracts the attention of the Head Waiter who appears to be "horrified" !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

"appears horrified"

I remember one waiter in Solstice who put up with this most obnoxious lady. He would deliver every dish and check with her every five minutes to make sure it was OK. Half the time she sent it back. He knew her name & everything.

I guess she was a good tipper (obviously moneyed), but "ah My Gawd" she was such an obnoxious Long Islander (if you know what I mean) it was just awful to watch how she treated him. She was insulting and demanding and demeaning. I really have to give him credit. if he wasn't being tipped separately by her then I have to say he was just a plain great waiter.

But yeah, I just don't care for the headwaiters who seem to do nothing but come around and chat with you. What is their job anyway? If there was a problem they should have seen it before it happened, not after you told them about it.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Fortunately for us the only time we have had this problem on a ship was on our only NCL cruise, and it happenned in more than one dining room. That is one of the reasons we won't sail with NCL again. And we just keep waving until someone came. And fortunatley this has not happenned often at a regular resturant.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Admiral

I'm pretty easy going--I can usually tell pretty quickly if the waiter/ service staff is going to be ok or not.
I have been known to get up and get silverware, salt, etc. and even water and coffee. Usually after someone sees you do that once, you don't have to do it again.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Admiral

I suppose another reason waiters disappear is diners who keep straggling in, so they have to make multiple trips to the galley to fetch salad for one, dinner for another, and dessert for a third.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

One of the challenges of open-seating dining, I'm afraid. I think it took a few years for the cruise lines to get open seating down, they were so used to serving everyone at once.
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Paul, we used the anytime dining on Princess and never had that problem but NCL I think it is more a case of too many dining options and on our cruise we found the problem in all of the non extra pay resturants. Though in the main dining rooms there were more than enough waitersbut not many diners and I think that lead to the problem, none of the waiters seemd like they wanted to be in there.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
"appears horrified"

I remember one waiter in Solstice who put up with this most obnoxious lady. He would deliver every dish and check with her every five minutes to make sure it was OK. Half the time she sent it back. He knew her name & everything.

I guess she was a good tipper (obviously moneyed), but "ah My Gawd" she was such an obnoxious Long Islander (if you know what I mean) it was just awful to watch how she treated him. She was insulting and demanding and demeaning. I really have to give him credit. if he wasn't being tipped separately by her then I have to say he was just a plain great waiter.

But yeah, I just don't care for the headwaiters who seem to do nothing but come around and chat with you. What is their job anyway? If there was a problem they should have seen it before it happened, not after you told them about it.
If I were to guess the passenger probably also complains a lot to the cruise line about every little thing and writes up bad reports on the comment cards. My guess is that waiter's boss told him that he better get a good review for her and if he doesn't he will be demoted or look forward to extra duties for the next month. From what you said about her I doubt she tips or tips over and above.

As far as disappearing waiters are concerned he may have been asked to do extra work by his supervisor (eg. help out in another section) or needed to run down to the Lido to get something for a passenger that wasn't available or they ran out of it in the dining room.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Admiral

To be honest, and as a seasoned cruiser and a PERSON. I could not do the job these guys do in waiting and putting up with the ever changing clientele and demands that some can make on you.

It appears that “some” forget that this is a person, a person doing a job and not some "Awipe" that is only there for their own personal gratification or for them to confirm how important that they think they are in their own little world when on a cruise ship.

I know SNOBS, I shoot with the gentry in the UK and no way as rich people and some have class would they treat any waiting staff in the way I have witnessed $500 buck cruisers treat the people that serve them.

I envy and admire the patience of those doing that job in the environment they are in.

As a person, do it to me I would dump your dinner on your lap.

Hey that’s why I’m not a waiter!!! Some forget they are dealing with PEOPLE
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Admiral

To be honest, and as a seasoned cruiser and a PERSON. I could not do the job these guys do in waiting and putting up with the ever changing clientele and demands that some can make on you.

It appears that “some” forget that this is a person, a person doing a job and not some "Awipe" that is only there for their own personal gratification or for them to confirm how important that they think they are in their own little world when on a cruise ship.

I know SNOBS, I shoot with the gentry in the UK and no way as rich people and some have class would they treat any waiting staff in the way I have witnessed $500 buck cruisers treat the people that serve them.

I envy and admire the patience of those doing that job in the environment they are in.

As a person, do it to me I would dump your dinner on your lap.

Hey that’s why I’m not a waiter!!! Some forget they are dealing with PEOPLE