Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Cool Here I go then!

Just got back from 7 days on the Crown Princess. In the Grand Scheme of things I have very few gripes. And most are petty. But since there's a special spot here I go...

People who can't find a shirt with a collar for their kids at dinner. Even on formal night!

Kids (teenagers) in the adult pool. And not just one or two!

People who put towels on the lounge chairs and disappear for hours!

People who are rude and ask stupid insenseative questions to locals. You know the kind that make you embarassed to be an American.
"Why do "you people" drive on the wrong side of the road? It's stupid!"
"I can't beleive you all eat turtle! That's so disgusting it makes me want to throw up"
Turtle is one of the Cayman's favorite dishes!

When everybody's standing in line waiting to get off the ship and certain people think that they don't have to wait in line.
"We have an excursion!" And the rest of us are here in line for gang plank!

People who waste food. It's one thing to try new things or get something and not like it. It a whole other issue when you fill your plate up with enough food to feed a small village. "Because you can" or "Cuz I paid for it" and leave 2/3 of it on your plate to be thrown away. I can't begin to imagine how much food gets thrown away! Perhaps if everybody's mentality was a little different cruises would be a little cheaper. I just have a problem with people wasting food. Thanks Mom & Dad!

People who think sweats are a fashion statement. Don't care who's name is on them or how much they cost, sweats are sweats. If your not on the way to the pool, spa, gym or Wal-Mart put on clothes! That's just my opinion!

And one last thing - I'm no fashion czar but all cruise ships have mirrors. Please use them!!! Take a look at yourself before you make others look at you. If you spend half your life eating (like me) than perhaps a thong or banana hammock is not for you. In your clothing resembles your childrens or your grand childrens, think twice cuz chances are your going to look rediculous to others. And mostly just find clothes that fit your size and age. I'm a XXXL and I don't try to strut around in my XL high schoo football shirt!

As I said all pretty petty and not enough to ruin a cruise but they can still be a bit disturbing thus worthy of a gripe......

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise Gripes

Thanks.

You made me chortle with laughter at 0700 UK time but you need to get out more!

I agree with you on the issue of wasted food.

I learnt a tip from the Greeks decades ago on the issue of people reserving loungers by the pool - throw the towels in the pool !

People watching is such fun!
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Beach Bum, you made me laugh, and all your "petty gripes" are certainly valid!
My pet peeve is also people who waste food. Having been in a place in my life where food was hard to come by to feed my children, I abhor seeing greedy people wasting food. Glad to know it's not just me....

donna
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with the majority of your gripes, especially saving those precious pool chairs. That, in part, is the cruiseline's fault for not enforcing the rules there, items should be removed after half an hour to free up the chair....

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
First Mate

Quote:
the cruiseline's fault for not enforcing the rules
Not that it was issue but I never really saw the cruise people enforcing any rules. From smoking which was not as big an issue as I thought it would be. To dress code, kids in adult pools, kids in the bars at night, to name a few. We cruised during high school spring/Easter break. Of 3,500 passengers they said 750 were kids (2 of those were ours ). I don't think we would ever cruise that week again. That being said we had more issues with rude, ignorant & insenseative "adults"!!!

Just a quick side note. They make a big deal about "smuggling" things like liquor in to your rooms from ports. We never saw anybody so much as check a bag after being on shore. I was thinking with my group that there has to be an equal amount of danger of somebody trying to smuggle something "harmfull" on to the boat in a port than when you arrive????? I know it would make getting back on the boat more time consuming but seems to me it would make sense to check everybodys, or at least some poeple's bags. Again not something I lost sleep over! Worked for me as I got to refill my rum bottle in my room. (Which was out in open sight the whole cruise)

I was talking to a friend of mine who is considering going with us next time. We were telling him about some of the rude people we had run across and how baffled we were at just how rude some people can be. I could see he was starting to worry a little bit so I explained to him. When you go on a cruise you meet lots of people. 99% are very nice, considerate and friendly. More so than any other type of vacation you can take. I talked with people from all over the US, Canada, OZ and a couple from Scotland.

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Great Gripe's, BB13! During our first couple of cruise's I was guilty of wasting food in the buffet! Then we learned to do a walk-through before getting our plates. (Or in Princess' case platters-part of the problem, I think!)

I'm a little confused about your process of re-boarding in the ports . Every cruise we've been on we had to put our shopping bags, purses, etc., through the scanner. Did you not have to do this, or did they just ignore what came through? I'd be concerned, too.

I'll never understand how people can say insensitive, rude things when they're visiting another country... .

I'm glad you all enjoyed your cruise ,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

I too have pretty much encountered all the above gripes.. The chair thing is a definate. I have NEVER seen anyone take belongings off a chair before. I have a previous co-worker that went on a cruise and continually referred to the people as "natives" Her daughter almost died a few times. The food issue makes me laugh. People act like they have never eaten before and are not going to get to eat ever again... they pile it on a plate to the point of it running off the edges... Makes me sick to look at it. I don't check around to see how much of it was eaten but I bet not 1/2. Hopefully I am wrong. I actually saw a young man in the dining room one night with a baseball cap on. If I was his mother I would have yanked that hat off his head and pitched it.... I am betting that no one at the table knew that it was considered bad manners to wear a hat at the table. But even with all the above I will continue to cruise....... Come on March 2011...........................................
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I'm a little confused about your process of re-boarding in the ports . Every cruise we've been on we had to put our shopping bags, purses, etc., through the scanner. Did you not have to do this, or did they just ignore what came through? I'd be concerned, too.
Neither my girlfriend or I ever remember our stuff being scanned. One time I came through with 2 bottles another time 3 bottles. They never said a word I voluntarily gave them up at a table. I could have taken them to my room no questions asked. I thought security was very lax. Just an observation.

They do tell that the reserve the right to search any bag...

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy100 View Post
But even with all the above I will continue to cruise....... Come on March 2011...........................................
AMEN on both counts!

Old April 12th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well. You have alot to say. All of it a downer. Is there anything good you can say about your cruise. No, really, I have never come away from a cruise and had the mega-complaints that you did. Maybe you need some medication for real life or something.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
Neither my girlfriend or I ever remember our stuff being scanned. One time I came through with 2 bottles another time 3 bottles. They never said a word I voluntarily gave them up at a table. I could have taken them to my room no questions asked. I thought security was very lax. Just an observation.

They do tell that the reserve the right to search any bag...
That's very strange! Were you sober when you came back onboard ? We have seen people sent to the "table" who then just kept walking... . Maybe that's what you experienced? I'd like to think that the ship's security is tight .

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
Well. You have alot to say. All of it a downer. Is there anything good you can say about your cruise. No, really, I have never come away from a cruise and had the mega-complaints that you did. Maybe you need some medication for real life or something.
Suse, you really haven't been on CM's enough (apparently) to know how much some people complain . "Mega-complaints" from BB13, I think not!

What BB13 posted was incredibly mild and they still had a great time on their cruise.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Am I reading this correctly?

Beachbum was not a bit upset that the cruise line was not enforcing the rules about him bringing alcohol onboard. He was even able to break the rules and refill his rum.

But he was upset that the cruse line was not enforcing the rules for the OTHER passengers who had also decided to break other rules about sun chair saving and dress code violations.

Is that the message?
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Admiral

I suppose he means they should enforce the rules that most agree with, but relax those that most don't worry about too much.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I suppose he means they should enforce the rules that most agree with, but relax those that most don't worry about too much.
Wasn't that how Enron, Bernard Madoff, and all those Wall Street Banker types got the USA into the mess it is in today?
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
OMG Lighten up it's a post for "Gripes". If you come to a thread "Cruise Gripe" you don't post compliments!! If you read my post I said that I had a few gripes and they were mosty pretty petty. I would not consider a few petty gripes to be mega complaints!!! A few of my comments were made for humor more than legit gripe. Perhaps you never have tried to find a lounge chair on a packed ship. Or have never been exposed to some "ugly Americans" on a tour.

Just to clarify for you we had a great time and we can't wait to go on our next cruise. And you know what I'll bet I will have some petty gripes then too. As long as I don't have any "mega-complaints" I'm sure we will continue to cruise.

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Am I reading this correctly?

Beachbum was not a bit upset that the cruise line was not enforcing the rules about him bringing alcohol onboard. He was even able to break the rules and refill his rum.

But he was upset that the cruse line was not enforcing the rules for the OTHER passengers who had also decided to break other rules about sun chair saving and dress code violations.

Is that the message?
My point was that Princess did not enforce any of their rules as far as I could tell. I would glady give up my little bottle of rum to be able to find a lounge chair.

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Wasn't that how Enron, Bernard Madoff, and all those Wall Street Banker types got the USA into the mess it is in today?
Wow I make a post mainly for humor and have it picked apart and turned into a dig against the US. Excuse me if I don't find your post funny at all.

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise Gripes

Relax BB13!

You made me laugh and appreciate even more my last Azamara cruise where the supply of pool loungers exceeded passengers; there was no overeating and waste at the buffet - everyone appeared to do a 'walk-through' first; and as for children - there was 1 on board and the spa pool was frequently empty!

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise.

As I said I enjoy people watching!
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Admiral

BB13 enjoyed your post...it's a trick to be funny and pointed at the same time!

And BTW: I agree with your observations too.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g

Quote:
No, Madoff created a ponzo scheme and promised investors money that he couldn't produce. Enron cooked their books in order to make the companies look more profitable then it was. Both cases involved fraud then broke the Federal law and lost hard working people their retirement savings. The above post refers to ship board policies.

BTW I'm not sure who all the Wall Street Banker types are. It's my understanding that the US legislator removed regulations regarding money lending. People then bought homes they could not afford with no money down and a 110% financing with an adjustable rate. The house values decreased and people lost their jobs they could no longer afford the oversized house payments on a home in which they owned no equity. So they abandoned the homes to foreclose causing many of these Wall Street Banker type to lose the jobs. But maybe I missed the article were we blame everything on the evil corporations and never take personally responsibly for are own actions. None of this has anything to do with the original post which I found funny, but since we are going here I figured why not go all the way.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:06 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
Wow I make a post mainly for humor and have it picked apart and turned into a dig against the US. Excuse me if I don't find your post funny at all.
And I made a post mainly for humor and it gets picked apart as well.
No sense of humor around here...................
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
And I made a post mainly for humor and it gets picked apart as well.
No sense of humor around here...................
You compared the OP to a couple of convicted felons. Sorry I missed the funny. But I have enjoyed you previous posts. For example you gave interesting information on the pushiest vendor thread. So maybe I just didn't understand this one. It could be lack of coffee.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Beachbum,,,sorry but
"then perhaps a thong or banana hammock is not for you".

I reserve the right to walk about on ship in my banana hammock if I need or want too. It is actually at my age a great deterent for having children in the adult only pool or tub's.

They and the parents see the hammock approaching and they are out of there like it was yesterday . I would recommend the older gentleman wear them more often when on ship