CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   A Silly Gripe re: Cruise Review (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/374573-silly-gripe-re-cruise-review.html)

Chuck Palm June 17th, 2010 08:16 AM

A Silly Gripe re: Cruise Review

Does anybody besides me hate the word "dinning" when you read a cruise review? Dining is a bit different than the dinning of the bells, or so it seems to me. In my book that is a much too often used "fox paux", lol.

Grins! :D :D :D

MarkNYC June 17th, 2010 08:27 AM

I enjoy dinning on the food my stewart brings to my room.

Trip June 17th, 2010 04:30 PM

And, I hate to get my life jacket, and, go up to the mustard on deck! lol

Kimbopolo June 17th, 2010 05:20 PM

But we are always here to give advise.

:shock:

Snoozeman June 17th, 2010 06:22 PM

Yes, dining and Progreso are two very common errors.

Dave Beers June 17th, 2010 06:33 PM

Their is dinning, they're is diner, and there is dinner in the dining room.

And let's not forget the mater dee!

Donna June 19th, 2010 10:34 AM

Chuck,
I think its just one of those errors that we sometimes don't even notice, I too have been quilty of the same one....Shame on me....

david30101 June 20th, 2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1298189)

Thats been taken care of already, at least by Carnival. No londer need to bring life jacket to muster drill. Only your body.....

Chuck Palm June 20th, 2010 08:22 AM

Please explain the last post...I don't get it!

jacdenv24 June 20th, 2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david30101 (Post 1298630)
Thats been taken care of already, at least by Carnival. No londer need to bring life jacket to muster drill. Only your body.....

I don't think you understood the topic. And I'm sure "londer" was a typo:rolleyes:

MarkNYC June 20th, 2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david30101 (Post 1298630)

Sometimes people loose track of the topic.

Paul Motter June 20th, 2010 05:10 PM

Yes, I put the reviews online and I see the word "dinning" more than any other spelling error. It used to make me nuts but now I just am over it.

But it makes me crazy when I see the ship staff using it (all the time) even in the daily program and such.

I don't understand how people could not remember one of the most basic rules of English, (long vowel = single consonant) though. I isn't like its a trick word.

My favorite review was the one where the reviewer said "dismemberment" instead of "disembarkation"

And that is another one - I think disembarkation is an overly long and pretentious word - so Carnival says "Debarkation" - but some people do not like that word and insist on disembarkation.

Here is another one, "where is the gangplank?" - that one gets to me.

It's a "gangway" not a "gangplank" - what are we pie-rates?

Another common one is "traveler" which the Brits write as "traveller"

Another oddity is we say "Carnival Cruise Lines is offering open dining" while the Brits say "Carnival Lines are offering open dining"

I often struggle with: compel and compelling, cancel and canceling
And spelling occasionally is never easy.

Dave Beers June 20th, 2010 05:40 PM

But nothing (as the world's fastest but worst two-fingered typist) gets me more that hitting the damn caps-lock key and not seeing.

That and misspelling curise, which I did for months straight once before I broke the habit.

Paul Motter June 20th, 2010 06:21 PM

OOps - I just edited Dave's Post when I meant to make a reply - sorry about that :p:p

And for some reason it has me totally cracking up here - I can't stop laughing - I guess because I totally did not mean to do it, and I just looked up and thought "wow. Dave wrote exactly what I did"

Never mind :mrgreen:

Dave Beers June 20th, 2010 06:54 PM

I've done it too. Sometimes the edit and reply buttons are too much alike.

To recap:

I recall bets being placed on how many spelling errors would be found in the daily cruise programs from Carnival, Royal Caribbean, HAL, NCL, etc. What bothered me is they didn't seem to have boilerplate print for items that never changed week-to-week, yet you'd see a word spelled correctly one day, but the following day the same word would get butchered. My example was "St. Maartin" which blended both the French and Dutch spellings, yet they managed to get the Captain's difficult name of Eelko Yytmaa correct every time. This was with Holland America on the old Westerdam. The apparent reason is assigning crew who are not fluent in English to put together the Cruise Compass, Princess Patter, etc. Not a good idea for cruises embarking in U.S. ports with a mostly American audience.

MarkNYC June 21st, 2010 08:40 AM

OT

Admittedly OT - but a recent email went around my place of work that notified us of a change in a meeting time and location.
Instead of starting the email with "Sorry for the inconvenience...", the author wrote "Sorry for the incontinence...".
I doubt my colleague will ever live that down.

Bruce Chafkin1 June 21st, 2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Palm (Post 1298089)
Does anybody besides me hate the word "dinning" when you read a cruise review? Dining is a bit different than the dinning of the bells, or so it seems to me. In my book that is a much too often used "fox paux", lol.

Actually I have a problem when people use words from other languages and cannot spell them correctly. Like "faux pas" for example.

Kimbopolo June 21st, 2010 07:40 PM

I make my living by teaching writing so all grammatical errors bother me. Especially my own! :D

Chuck Palm June 23rd, 2010 02:23 PM

the fox paux was supposed to be a joke, get it!

Luanne Russo June 29th, 2010 06:06 PM

The word that gets me every time is the Ecstasy. Watch when people do reviews, or just ask questions about it. One review had it spelled 4 different ways in one review.

Drives me crazy

Skipper's Mom June 29th, 2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Palm (Post 1298089)

This has been driving me crazy for a long time! LOL I proofread a newsletter for a local yacht club and this happens all the time! But, I am an English major and cannot stand the bad grammar that the current texting encourages.

The current folks who use texting, etc. are only exhibiting their inability to write correctly. Sorry, it drives me up the wall! Guess I should get a life! Ha, ha.

Luanne Russo June 29th, 2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom (Post 1300425)
This has been driving me crazy for a long time! LOL I proofread a newsletter for a local yacht club and this happens all the time! But, I am an English major and cannot stand the bad grammar that the current texting encourages.

The current folks who use texting, etc. are only exhibiting their inability to write correctly. Sorry, it drives me up the wall! Guess I should get a life! Ha, ha.

I agree with you about Texting. I can't tell the times I've handed back a paper that was written with Texting.

astor<3 August 16th, 2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1298189)

RCI doesn't require you to wear your life jacket anymore... just saying!

DayvidB August 19th, 2010 03:56 PM

Oh God the spelling police are back, I'll bet they are school teachers in real life and in attitude. For me as long as people dine with others and don't constantly snack 1 on 1 in the buffet, then I'm fine....personally I'm more worried about the person as a person that I dine with, more than how they spell the word.

Okay you can comment on this written post as well as I place commas or what you may call "something" and paragraphs in how I write this in the COLOUR in which I write,,oh thats proper spelling if you want to do words and spelling.

:D:D

Rum Runner March 19th, 2011 08:54 PM

Not an English major/teacher/proofreader by profession, but I do agree that things such as:
  • plural word's or verb's with apostrophe's drive me completely insane
  • mispelling's on publick markees or bizness sings have the same affect
  • and the apparent acceptance of the phrases "should of," "could of," and "would of" is enough to put me over the top.

end rant.

OldFartCruiser March 25th, 2011 11:40 PM

Itz knot thee righting thatt getts mee; manny tymes itz dew to hiting the rong kee. Sinse theer is know spelchek buttin, misspellings gett thru.:twisted:

What gets me is pax referring to decks as floors, cabins as room, ship as boat, etc. As Paul noted gangway as gangplank.

OFCer

Manuel March 27th, 2011 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astor<3 (Post 1310114)
RCI doesn't require you to wear your life jacket anymore... just saying!

Yes, I have noticed that. I tink dat is guud. rofl\\

TM