Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Stop the "two for One" Cruise Sales

I probably get notices of "two for one" cruise sales more than any other promotion. Are these not the most unconvincing and yawn-evoking sales announcements ever?

I will read a bit to see if the prices are any good, but when it says "2 for 1 based on brochure rates" I am finished.

Do brochure rates mean ANYTHING TO ANYONE anymore?

This is one sales approach the cruise lines should just end. Even if it was once valid, it has become meaningless, no one has charged a brochure rate in the last 10 years.

EVEN THE BROCHURES HAVE THE PRICES CUT IN HALF THESE DAYS.
I just picked up a brochure fromn a luxury line. It actually lists the 1/2 off (same as 2 for 1 ) sale price IN THE BROCHURE.

What good is a brochure that says "brochure price" and "sale price" which is always 1/2 off? We know what the price is - it's the sale price. The "brochure" is just a way of saying "we'd be charging a lot more for this cruise if we thought you were stupid enough to pay it, but you haven't paid this much for a cruise in a decade, so this is what we are asking."

Get over the crap.

It isn't a sale price if you PRINT IT IN YOUR BROCHURE!

This has just gone on long enough.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

Perfect timing. I just closed my browser session on Oceania.com. I closed it while uttering the words: Bull ****.

It was in response to their "Last Chance" promotion email. The 2 for 1 fare was just 1/2 off the brochure rate and the "free air" would cost me just over $500.

These gimmick promotions are ridiculous. The problem is that it becomes "The little cruise line that cried wolf." Almost daily I receive snail mail promotions and it's at the point that they never make into the house. They are tossed into the recycling before I even read them. I also delete many emails without ever reading them. Once in awhile they may actually have a "real" deal but I've wasted so much time looking at B.S. that I probably miss them.

If you have a deal then send out a promotion. Otherwise just publish your dang fare.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Admiral

The "free" air gets on my nerves too. It is "free" from a small number of gateway airports, none of which are close to me. And of course the fact is they aren't giving you anything for free.
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Captain

Brochure rate is a meaningless term. Many products use this technique, which involves publishing a high price (at which nothing is actually sold) and then offering "discounts" or allowing their dealers and agents to do it. Cars, musical instruments and many other products do this. And it is confusing to the consumer. To analyze a "2 for 1" offer (sometimes combined with partial free air, shipboard credits, included tips, and such), the consumer must first be knowledgeable as to what has been the actual "going price" for this cruise.

Sad thing is, a minority of these deals are actually GOOD, but I'm to old and lazy to do all the math required to determine this.
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Had to laugh today - apparently two-for-one has extended to mailing brochures. I got two brochures that were exactly the same in today's post. I looked for some sort of code that might have indicated I was in the system twice, but didn't see any.

March 31st is coming quickly I'd better hurry <smirk>

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Ah yes, got my Oceania 2012 Europe brochure today...same thing. Although this at least has $1000 off the full 2 for 1 price until the end of August. I must say though, now that they include the air taxes in the cost, it's a pretty darn good deal for us from the westcoast. Some of their sailings are now on par $$ wise with Princess's small ships on similar itineraries.

They're also priced the same as Azamara where Oceania used to be far more expensive.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
They're also priced the same as Azamara where Oceania used to be far more expensive.
That is interesting - the ? is which one moved. I know Azamara has been going up, but did Oceania drop prices, too?
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - I know it is frustrating, but from what I hear those "this is your last chance" campaigns really work.

And it is no accident that what works for Oceania also gets tried by NCL. They are both largely owned by the Apollo Management.
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
That is interesting - the ? is which one moved. I know Azamara has been going up, but did Oceania drop prices, too?
Very good question As an example, we were looking at one on Azamara, basic balcony was $4,099 including gratuities and wine and soft drinks. Similar cruise on Oceania for 2012 was $5,300. They include the soft drinks and water and are now including your night in a hotel at your embarkation port. I've been pricing air for this september and from Vancouver it's running about $1,350 for an open jaw. That's putting them very close with the hotel included especially in an expensive port like Venice.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Admiral

My youngest and her husband are doing a 2 for one cruise this summer
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Princess false come-ons

How about the bochures we receive in snail mail from Princess. Call the 800 # the day it arrives and be told the offer is no longer available. Mailing to 1000s for an expired offer is nothing less than a come-on to get us to book for more money or some other cruise.

Those brochures are now trashed before getting in the house.
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

What would really catch my eye is a brochure that read, "NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT", or "SINGLE CABINS AVAILABLE". Yes, the Norwegian Epic has single cabins, but they are just as expensive as Princess regular sized cabins.

I've cruised over 40 times and most of them at single rates. Building all these new, huge ships, why can't the atrium be reduced by a few feet and put in about 10-15 single cabins at a friendly rate?
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Familiar Face

I suppose that there are enough uninformed people that take them up on these "deals" that it is worth it for the cruise lines to continue this garbage.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
That's putting them very close with the hotel included especially in an expensive port like Venice.
You can also opt out of the FREE hotel & save $500
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Captain

The 2 for 1 marketing ploy must be working I see Crystal has now started using it
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs up This is my point too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgique View Post
What would really catch my eye is a brochure that read, "NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT", or "SINGLE CABINS AVAILABLE". Yes, the Norwegian Epic has single cabins, but they are just as expensive as Princess regular sized cabins.

I've cruised over 40 times and most of them at single rates. Building all these new, huge ships, why can't the atrium be reduced by a few feet and put in about 10-15 single cabins at a friendly rate?

Paul, why don't the cruise lines price the cabins on a per cabin basis, double occupency? This would bring in more singles who don't want to pay a 200% sup. If the cabin price was X (plus more for 3rd & 4th Passengers) singles would see what a good deal (as compaired with total land pricing) a cruise vacation is. This is really a missed oppertunity for the cruise industry. The overal cost (revenue of cabin sales) of the cabin would be the same, just the marketing would be different.