Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via ICQ to talenavi Send a message via Yahoo to talenavi Send a message via Skype™ to talenavi
Default For your health sake...

With the amount of food we are offered at the dining table, the best beverage will be a peppermint or green tea, that most of cruise companies have for free in a dining room (definitely, Carnival, NCL and Princess). This will help your digestive system to work out all this food.

It amazes me how much soda the people are consuming on the cruises! And complaining after about extra pounds they gained during the trip!
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

I believe that if the cruise lines were not making a good profit, they would not be having new ships built all the time. And every one costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is an old thread but I do have to add that on my Carnival Liberty cruise in June 2011, the iced tea was even worse than on any other cruise. It tasted like chalk.

There really does need to be a few more, and higher quality, included beverages. It was nice that cappacino was included in the MDR. You can only cut so much.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover View Post
I believe that if the cruise lines were not making a good profit, they would not be having new ships built all the time. And every one costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.
I believe that if McDonalds was not making a good profit, they would not be having new McDonalds built all the time. And every new McDonalds costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.

I believe that if Wal-Mart was not making a good profit, they would not be having new Wal-Marts built all the time. And every new Wal-Mart costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.

I believe that if Holiday Inn was not making a good profit, they would not be having new Holiday Inns built all the time. And every new Holiday Inn costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24 View Post
I don't know what the iced tea is like on Carnival but what I usually do is mix 2/3 ice tea with 1/3 lemonade. Voila! Iced lemon tea! Surprisingly good:-D
I thought I was the only one. I add some artificial sweetner too, so it doesn't cut into my cruise food appetite like sugar would.
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
I believe that if McDonalds was not making a good profit, they would not be having new McDonalds built all the time. And every new McDonalds costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.
Right! You captured the essence of kind of thinking.

Softdrinks are a major profit for cruise lines and McDonalds. They are made from sugary syrup and a little carbonated tap water. Yes, it costs the cruise lines very little - until you take them away, then it costs them $millions/year in profits.

It would be like saying Micky Ds should give away french fries - it is one way they make money.

Personally, I consider soft drinks to be like some of the worst food you can consume. Switch to iced tea for your health, and to save money.
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

Softdrinks are a major profit for cruise lines and McDonalds. They are made from sugary syrup and a little carbonated tap water. Yes, it costs the cruise lines very little - until you take them away, then it costs them $millions/year in profits.

It would be like saying Micky Ds should give away french fries - it is one way they make money.

Personally, I consider soft drinks to be like some of the worst food you can consume. Switch to iced tea for your health, and to save money Paul the only problem with this is that the iced tea that is free is horrible powdered ice tea, best bet is to make your own using tea bags/hot water and ice.
I found a few cruises ago that if I drink too many sodas I end up with swollen feet so I instead drink water but not as much as at home because that too on a ship has more salt than I am used to and of course it is in both coffee and tea. So I really don't drink all that much on a cruise. I do wish that the lines would have more juices as free drinks. I can't drink any citrus juices since I am allergic to them and for sure don't want to get hives while on vacation.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Familiar Face

And it is because of this way of thinking that we all pay too many taxes, and the country is in the shape that it is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

Personally, I consider soft drinks to be like some of the worst food you can consume. Switch to iced tea for your health, and to save money.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Isn't the coke served now all in cans?

The point is correct. They should NOT have free sodas any more than they should have free beer. This isn't an All Inclusive deal.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Familiar Face

Can't you all see where all of this is going? More and more things on board cost extra. Pretty soon all that will be included is your room. Apparently, that is just fine with people.
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Would raising the price of a cruise help? That way you won't know you are paying for soda, think it's free.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Familiar Face

Yes. I would rather they would charge more for the cruise in the first place than to constantly be trying to get more money out of people for every little thing.
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Admiral

The mainstream lines seem to be very price competitive. The bottom line is that nothing is free. To raise the cost of a cruise and then add something "free", then somebody will complain that they don't (fill in the blank).

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't think that would work either, raising the cost of the initial cruise to cover soft drinks. There are some and may-be many that just don't drink it, so why should they cover the expense of others that do? I can see why they need to charge for these type of things...They actually don't even break even with just the cost of the cabins, they need the "other" revenues to make some kind of profit.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Familiar Face

Well, eventually a person will gain entrance to the ship with their cruise fare, but if they actually want to eat, drink, or do anything, they better have their credit card handy. I do hope you are all still so happy when that day comes.
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes. I would rather they would charge more for the cruise in the first place than to constantly be trying to get more money out of people for every little thing.
Well, I don't buy soda, don't eat in specialty restaurants, don't drink anything. I buy 1 token fufu drink on boarding, I've bought 1 formal picture.

Now, is that too frivelous? They can't nickel and dime you unless YOU choose to spend. Why should cruise rates rise to pay for something someone else wants?
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Familiar Face

What I'm saying is that eventually you won't have a choice.

I'm about to go on the Norwegian Gem. It has a bowling alley. My 13 year old son will want to bowl. Well, if he is going to bowl, I have to pay extra for it. Isn't it part of the ships facilities, just like the pool or the fitness center?
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
What I'm saying is that eventually you won't have a choice.

I'm about to go on the Norwegian Gem. It has a bowling alley. My 13 year old son will want to bowl. Well, if he is going to bowl, I have to pay extra for it. Isn't it part of the ships facilities, just like the pool or the fitness center?
easyCruise already provides the ship as transportation model. If you want all-inclusive they are out there, you just have to spend more dollars up front.

I've not heard of any cruise line charging for anything that was previously free. What they have done is to add numerous "options" for which some cruisers choose to pay and others opt out of. NCL does seem to be bringing this to new heights - though I have not cruised on them, nor am I likely to do so.

Check out the thread on "Nickel and Diming". Lot's of discussion about what should and shouldn't be included in a cruise price.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Familiar Face

Of course these "options" are things that people want - like specialty coffees, that neat restaurant, that fancy drink by the pool, The cruise lines aren't stupid.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Admiral

I had a long running discussion on another site trying to explain that most cruises are not "all inclusive" as the term is generally understood.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Familiar Face

I am well aware that there are "all inclusive" cruises out there. However, they are the luxury cruises, which not everyone can afford.

Why can't there be an "all inclusive" mainstream cruise? I would think it would be very popular. The resorts seem to be able to do it.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Of course these "options" are things that people want - like specialty coffees, that neat restaurant, that fancy drink by the pool, The cruise lines aren't stupid.
Not stupid is right. To keep cruise prices down, they charge for the extras they have added to their ship. Even without them, the freebees on a ship are adequate. So why would they spend money themselves for extras as rides, bowling alley, skating rinks etc to keep them free? Not everyone wants nor needs to use them, just select people with that interest.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Familiar Face

You think the cruise lines want to keep prices down?
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I am well aware that there are "all inclusive" cruises out there. However, they are the luxury cruises, which not everyone can afford.

Why can't there be an "all inclusive" mainstream cruise? I would think it would be very popular. The resorts seem to be able to do it.
What would you "include" in your mainstream all-inclusive cruise and how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Let's be honest - pricing in advertising is crucial. Why do you think they always advertise the lowest price cabin, even when you have a ship like Oasis that barely has a handful of inside cabins?

It isn't much different than a LOT of other things, like car rentals or hotel stays - even cell phones for that matter. You never see the REAL cost of somethings until the bill arives.

Now - I know a lot of people resent the fact that cruise lines have added optional restaurants, coffee klatches, etc. Lordy, the debate over Princess charging for ice cream went on for a decade.

Many of these people argue the cruise lines have lowered the quality of standards in food to steer you to the better restaurants.

That MAY be true, but think about the fact that cruises have hardly gone up in price at all in the last 10 years or more!

The way they can keep cruise prices so low is by having these additional revenue streams onboard ships. But no one is forcing you to pay more for alternative dining.

But - if you think the quality has slipped think about this, "would you pay 25% more to have them take away all the optional stuff and make the food quality better?"

Because I feel the reason things are the way they are now is because the cruise lines price cruises at the low prices people like you want to see before you will book, and they work out ways to show that price, but they also have to make additional revenue other ways.

At least there is no fuel surcharge. I am just saying the next you think about complaining about nickel & diming, remember how little you paid for that cruise.
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Familiar Face

I guess I'll have to give that some thought......

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
What would you "include" in your mainstream all-inclusive cruise and how much would you be willing to pay for it?
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

The way things are in "mainstream" cruises, YOU get to control your own spending. With "all inclusive" your starting cost is already high because they've calculated what they "include" and "some" people think they are getting freebies, but it actually has been already calculated into the initial cost. That means you don't have to pull out your card at all. Is that worth the price?
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Familiar Face

I understand that. What I most object to is the amount they charge for everything. Outrageous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
The way things are in "mainstream" cruises, YOU get to control your own spending. With "all inclusive" your starting cost is already high because they've calculated what they "include" and "some" people think they are getting freebies, but it actually has been already calculated into the initial cost. That means you don't have to pull out your card at all. Is that worth the price?
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I understand that. What I most object to is the amount they charge for everything. Outrageous!
It's called a convenience fee. Either opt in or opt out,they have provided the bait. The same with real estate. 2 identical houses...one in a development, one with water view. The latter is higher for the convenience of a view. So, for goodies on a cruise, many have the attitude "I'm on vacation" so they splurge. Some buy a waterfront home as a splurge (but didn't have to). We have the ability to keep cost down if we choose.
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Admiral

While prices may seem outrageous compared to what you spend in your home, I just bought two cases of soda for $10, the prices are not out of line with what you would spend in a nicer hotel. I almost fell off my stool 20 years ago after paying $1.25 for a highball glass of Diet Coke.