Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
I believe that if McDonalds was not making a good profit, they would not be having new McDonalds built all the time. And every new McDonalds costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.

I believe that if Wal-Mart was not making a good profit, they would not be having new Wal-Marts built all the time. And every new Wal-Mart costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.

I believe that if Holiday Inn was not making a good profit, they would not be having new Holiday Inns built all the time. And every new Holiday Inn costs more than the last. I have a hard time believing that they cannot afford to supply their customers with soft drinks.

And your point is? .
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:44 AM
david30101

Since i dont drink soft drinks, that leaves me with the tea or water. So I bring a bunch of those flavor packets of crystal light that are single servings I add to the water served in the dining room. I fill my pockets with 3-4 of them. 1 packet can handle 3 refills of the water glass.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Familiar Face

Well, a soda card on an NCL ship is $6.25/day. I can buy enough soda for the entire cruise for that, so I'll pass.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover View Post
Yes. I would rather they would charge more for the cruise in the first place than to constantly be trying to get more money out of people for every little thing.
Many years ago we charged much more for a cruise. The price included many things that are not included today.

Then the ships started getting bigger and we started marketing to many different segments of society. Many passengers complained.
They were paying for caviar that they didn't eat, champagne they didn't drink, and sodas they didn't want.
They told us, "Just charge us for the cruise and let us choose what we want to pay extra for - or not".

We listened - and they got their wish.
You should always be careful what you wish for.
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Familiar Face

So you work for the cruise industry?

Quote:
Many years ago we charged much more for a cruise. The price included many things that are not included today.

Then the ships started getting bigger and we started marketing to many different segments of society. Many passengers complained.
They were paying for caviar that they didn't eat, champagne they didn't drink, and sodas they didn't want.
They told us, "Just charge us for the cruise and let us choose what we want to pay extra for - or not".

Old July 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:

And that's the way it should be. All I need is the cruise, not the extra things that fit someone elses wants.
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
And that's the way it should be. All I need is the cruise, not the extra things that fit someone elses wants.

Very true statement. If I want a soda or drink I don't mind paying for it. I just wish that mainly the iced tea was better. And some other kind of juice available during the day beside lemonade. Like apple juice.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover View Post
So you work for the cruise industry?
35 years, 23 ships, 11 cruise lines.

Most of those cruise lines are gone now.

The owners insisted on offering top quality at a comparable price.

The cruising public insisted on mediocre quality at the lowest price.

Guess who won?
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
The owners insisted on offering top quality at a comparable price.

The cruising public insisted on mediocre quality at the lowest price.

Guess who won?
I agree with you on this one. When people want and accept mediocrity that's what they get. I really blame the consumer, not the cruise line, for the decline in food quality and the additional charges. The cruise lines are in the business to make money and if they can make money by creating more additional charge venues and products they will. They will also lower the quality of the food and go with a more inexpensive product. If people accept it then all the better. You want mediocrity you'll get it.

I forsee Cracker Barrel having a franchise on board.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Luckily, some cruise lines have chosen to stay inclusive and just raise fares. There are options for everyone. Me, personally, I know I am going to imbibe (whether bottled water or soda or alcoholic beverages) so I prefer the all inclusive. For others, there is no reason for them to subsidize folks like me so they choose a more ala carte line; everyone can be happy.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
How about some good old southern sweet tea on the cruises!!!
I hear you on this one ! I would love a glass of decent quality sweet tea.

I make it at my restaurant here in Northern Ohio. Its easy, fast, & super cheap to make. I sell a ton of it.

Hope the cruise companies read these boards for "GOOD" ideas.

Happy Cruising, Joel