CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Dining Room Etiquette (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/377678-dining-room-etiquette.html)

VAK817 October 24th, 2010 09:07 PM

Dining Room Etiquette

Please ... the voluntary removal of unwanted bodily waste should be done in private... excuse yourself from the dining room table ... go to the bathroom ...
and handle your voluntary personal waste removal activities in private

Blowing your nose is a voluntary personal waste removal activity
Deep throat phlegm removal is a voluntary personal waste removal activity

Others are dining .... They/We do not want to be privy to
your voluntary personal need to blow your nose or clear your throat

Please ... be considerate of your fellow passengers

Paul Motter October 25th, 2010 08:09 AM

I agree. I tend to not make a big deal about it, but when people do it - into their napkin usually, it does gross me out.

LisaK October 25th, 2010 10:33 AM

i have to disagree to a point. As a person who suffers from severe nasal allergies, blowing my nose is a way of life, i will blow my nose very subtly and quietly into my napkin, with my head below the table, will say excuse me, and leave my napkin on my lap, if i had to leave the table everytime i had to blow my nose i would never get a chance to eat or socialize, now with that being said, i agree that anything more than that i would definatley excuse myself from the table and go outside the dining room or into the ladies room.

Lakers Fan October 25th, 2010 11:48 AM

My choice was #2 .Some people have no choice and I have no problem with that .

Paul Motter October 25th, 2010 02:30 PM

I think we are refering to "deep phlegm clearing" which usually means making very loud sounds and then spitting or blowing into a napkin.

I don't mind someone politely blowing their nose if they have to - no big deal.

Mike M October 25th, 2010 04:22 PM

If you MUST blow your nose at the table it should be done as subtle as possible.

It was one of the first things I was taught as a child. If you have to blow your nose you leave the table.

Take care,
Mike

johnthed0g October 25th, 2010 05:32 PM

I look at this thread the same way as the "secret sex" one....

Skipper's Mom October 25th, 2010 08:09 PM

Whatever happened to tissues or handkerchiefs (spelling?). My husband has carried a handkerchief since I've known him (45 years!). Napkins are not the proper depositories!

Good grief! Is there no class anymore? Have they been raised by wolves?

Lakers Fan October 25th, 2010 09:02 PM

My gut feeling

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1325116)
I look at this thread the same way as the "secret sex" one....

My gut feeling is that one person is posting under 3-4 different names and is starting a lot of weird threads .A few I could not believe were real .

Ron October 26th, 2010 11:45 PM

I think to blow ones nose into your napkin is very poor manners. I agree that sometimes a sneeze or something may cause you to have to cover yourself with the napkin quickly but that's the exception rather than the rule. Blowing your nose into you napkin leaves a host of germs, the waitstaff handles it, then maybe after they've handled your snotty napkin, they handle someone else's dessert, etc.
Who wants to sit and try to eat while someone is blowing and gurgling into a napkin or handkerchief--what irks me is those that blow, look at it, fold it, blow again, look again, then wipe their nose and then stick it back in their pocket or lay the napkin on the table.
If I have that much of a problem I'll stay out of the dining room to begin with.
At Cracker Barrel once we were having breakfast and this older couple were seated next to us basically within arms reach. Being from a rural area we grew up eating lots of mom's biscuits and gravy, which I still love today and was part of my breakfast that morning. This one older fellow would take out his handkerchief every couple of minutes and honk and blow, look at it and refold, do it again, etc. it seemed every time I started to take a big bite of biscuits and gravy is when he would have to blow and gurgle into his hankee. Finally I told him that if he didn't stop blowing and gurgling while I was trying to eat that every time he blew his nose I was going to loudly pass gas and point at him !! :)
He got pretty upset but didn't say anything and kept his hankee in his pocket for the duration, so apparently it wasn't needed as badly as he thought it was. There's a time and place for everything and snorting, blowing and gurgling mucus at the table isn't one of them. ;)
Just my humble opinion--I said it--I read it and I approved it !! :)

Dannyboy November 8th, 2010 05:18 AM

Enjoying your meal.

I say the cruise lines open a specialty restaurant on the 13th deck for people who eat with their mouth open, fart, hawk up mucus or discharge snot.rofl

The waiters can dress in HASZMAT SUITES.

Dannyboy November 8th, 2010 05:35 AM

Suffers

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1325045)
i have to disagree to a point. As a person who suffers from severe nasal allergies, blowing my nose is a way of life, i will blow my nose very subtly and quietly into my napkin, with my head below the table, will say excuse me, and leave my napkin on my lap, if i had to leave the table everytime i had to blow my nose i would never get a chance to eat or socialize, now with that being said, i agree that anything more than that i would definatley excuse myself from the table and go outside the dining room or into the ladies room.

You hit the nail on the head.
A person who suffers!
By all means, your socializing is very important.

The Noro Virus is spread through the ship from human discharge.
The bathrooms have directions for washing hands and the cruise lines have anti bacterial units in all restaurants.

talenavi February 5th, 2011 02:14 PM

Danny, Norwegian Epic actually does have 13th floor! No restaurant is opened there, yet...

DayvidB February 5th, 2011 03:19 PM

Sorry but from a personal respect point of view, if I felt that in a dining room that I had to "totally" clear my nasal passages, and no matter how quietly or discrete that I thought I could do it, I would not inflict the procedure on my fellow diners? No way

In your head it may be subtle; then again it may be not. It’s like that moment in time around others and you can feel your belly rumble and you think, I can do a quiet one here and get away with it, no noise, no smell. Gamble or not?

But being on a dining table no-one worth having around you would take that chance, they would make an excuse and go to the rest room or elsewhere to sort,,, so it being your nose,,why think you can get it all out quietly and not have the stomachs of others around you getting the sensation or feeling as we say in Scotland of "the boak"

If I was eating and someone did that in front of me then I would be heaving, so now it's my fault as I've now been sick or boaking at the dinner table due to another’s actions..mm

johnthed0g February 5th, 2011 03:55 PM

On our recent cruise we saw an old "gentleman" blow his nose into a table napkin then leave it on the table.

Hpine1 February 5th, 2011 06:16 PM

I started brining my own paper napkins when i go on my cruises. Say what you want but i think it is gross and even if they do wash the napkins its just the idea that somebody might have blown their nose on it.

johnthed0g February 5th, 2011 06:46 PM

GROSS!! it's completely unthinkable! even if you HAD to do that you should just put the thing in your pocket.

jennc February 15th, 2011 11:56 PM

And..... why do some people insist on cleaning their teeth with tooth picks after dinner and for the rest of the evening walk around with the toothpick in their mouth. Gross!!!!!!!

OldFartCruiser March 5th, 2011 12:02 AM

sometimes acceptable

There are times when nose blowing or deep throat clearing is acceptable. If a sneeze comes on nose blowing before the sneeze or just after the sneeze into a Kleenex or hankie is appropriate. While eating if food gets lodged in a person's throat; clearing the throat is acceptable.

But if nose blowing for the sake of clearing the nose because of dripping or clearing the throat or nasal passages of mucus tells me the person is not healthy and is spreading germs:mad:. If that is the case the person should not be in the MDR.

Blowing your nose in the table napkin is disgusting.

Jennifer S March 5th, 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1325045)

I also suffer from severe nasal allergies and I must clear my nose or I cannot breathe. When I do have to clear my nose, I use a tissue and try to be as subtle as possible. I don't think it's fair that you guys are criticizing people who blow their noses. Some people have a good reason (allergies) to do it.

belgique March 5th, 2011 11:30 PM

As the manager of upscale restaurants for the past 20 years, there is NOTHING more disgusting than someone blowing their nose in the napkin. Do people think that machines pick up the dirty linen? No, it's bus staff, wait staff and managers who have to handle the germs.

We have one couple who consistently leave used Kleenex on the table. I have instructed my staff to wear gloves or place a napkin over the remains and dispose of them.

I understand that sudden coughs and sneezes happen to all of us, and I feel for those who have allergies, but Kleenex is inexpensive, easy to hide and not leave on the table.

It all boils down to manners.

CA Cruiser March 5th, 2011 11:44 PM

and this is why I don't like the "napkin waving" when the wait staff sing or the Cherries Jubilee is presented!! Flying germs!! :mad: I have see food fly out of the napkin because the guest forgot they spit it in there...:shock: