Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Lido Lounge Lizards

One of my biggest peeves is the pax who feel the need to use the dining tables in the Lido as their personal lounge/socializing area. Nothing grinds my gears more than sagging under the weight of my tray full of Lido yummies only to find that there are no available tables or seats, for that matter, because inconsiderate people choose to eat and then hang around at the table and yap with their companions ad nauseam or worse yet, break out with a deck of cards. Seriously, don't you pople notice the endless throng of tray carrying fellow pax obviously looking for somewhere to alight? Take your socializing out on deck, or at least somewhere other than a sorely needed dining room table!
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

At busy times I agree that people should not sit around and play cards but I do have an issue where someone feels they have to "dine and dash". Where they wolf down their food and then get the heck out of the lido to free up the space.

I have also found that if you go to the "out of the way" spots at the rear of the lido or even outside you can usually find a space. If not I just ask someone if they mind if I, and usually my wife, share the table. I think I've only been told "no" once.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not advocating the dine and dash. I don't wolf down a meal either, but seriously, If your party of 6 needs to go over the plan of the day-particularly on port days, please do it somewhere other than the table in the Lido during rush hour. That's all I'm sayin'. DW and I just returned from a 7 day Eastern on the Carnival Dream, and this was a big problem in the poorly named "The Gathering". The hangers-on combined with a bad lay out made for some trying meal times. Particular to the Dream, anyway, I believe some more accurately descriptive names for the Lido rest. would be something like "The Throng", "The Horde", "The Rabble", or "The Mob". Something that more accurately describes the ambiance and feel of the place.
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Lido deck is a big deck. If your referring to the tables on the lido open decks, that's never going to change. If you mean INSIDE the buffet area then I agree.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes, I should have clarified. .

I'm primarily referring to inside the lido restaurant. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for catching that Snoozeman!
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdude View Post
DW and I just returned from a 7 day Eastern on the Carnival Dream,
I can honestly say I don't see that happening in the busy hours and I am an frequent cruiser (avg 4/year). It could be that I do longer cruises that attracts seasoned cruisers.

With that I think you answered it yourself. 7 day Caribbean cruisers on Carnival bring out the new cruisers. They are having such a good time, they are oblivious to the surroundings. They will learn.

Paul
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Crusing solo is another adventure altogether. I've offered seats to people on the Lido at lunch who say, "But there are FOUR of us", which means,
"Go sit on the floor in the corner and eat".

I have met some wonderful people whilst dining alone on the Lido, but it's rare that someone will offer a seat to a single diner juggling a tray and a beverage, even though they have empty seats at their tables.
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:47 AM
First Mate

I grew up in Europe, where the concept of sharing a table at a bistro or what not is, or at least when I lived there, the norm. I have no problem sharing a table, and no problem chatting or not chatting depending on the other person's mood. But heck, it can be a great way to meet new people, even if just for a short time.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
I grew up in Europe, where the concept of sharing a table at a bistro or what not is, or at least when I lived there, the norm. I have no problem sharing a table, and no problem chatting or not chatting depending on the other person's mood. But heck, it can be a great way to meet new people, even if just for a short time.
Where in Europe did you grow up? I too am a European and I cannot think of anything worse than having to push my way onto a shared table for breakfast or any meal with strangers,,,it is not the norm in Europe. People look for privacy first and if really pushed will ask to join a shared table.

People may also have a misunderstanding of Europe, it actually only exists in name, not in traditions, or values. Socially each is is so different, with different 'accceptance' gauges in each of the many cultures that make up the continent.

Do I think like a Swede no, a German no, a Spaniard, no. An Italian, no. A Frenchman, God forbid

Last edited by DayvidB; January 21st, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Not natural sharers in the UK as far as I know, people think I am eccentric because I talk to strangers never mind share a table. As I have said before though it's those who sit in the coffee bar taking up seats reading or playing cards when others(me) wish to buy a coffee.