Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
They have a rule on luggage???
Yep, on fly cruises, P&O include the flights so control things, so you are allowed one bit of checked bags (you can take more than one but the weight of the case would come off your allowance) of 23kg's NO MORE. You are allowed one piece of carry on about 16 inches by 10x10 inches weighing NO MORE than 5kg's. This however only appears to apply to some people.
Old January 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Yes, the cruise lines SHOULD do something about this - but they do not.
Having Senior Officers and witnesses in the room doesn't help either - and the passengers who cause these problems know that.
I am a Senior Officer. I have witnesses at every meeting with a passenger. Many of the passengers still lie, and cause major problems for us.
I am now forced to secretly record any and all conversations I have with complaining passengers in my office.
There was good policing on our Azura cruise, about 11 people were allegedly kicked off the ship. So if there are witnesses to the interview with a passenger & they still lie surely the boss sides with you? If the passengers are that badly behaved who cares if they are lost as customers? If they are that bad do cruise lines communicate about them?
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

JTD, in a word - lawsuit. Boss will not risk one. They nearly always side with the customer.

Azura is a largely a 'British' line with largely British clientele. We as a nation are slightly less litigous(sp).

Annie
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Yep, on fly cruises, P&O include the flights so control things, so you are allowed one bit of checked bags (you can take more than one but the weight of the case would come off your allowance) of 23kg's NO MORE. You are allowed one piece of carry on about 16 inches by 10x10 inches weighing NO MORE than 5kg's. This however only appears to apply to some people.
So it is the airline luggage rule
I thought you had said it was the cruise line had restrictions
I misunderstood

We take 1 bag each usually weighs less then 15 KG but we do not take formal wear
Not required on our cruise line
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Default Passenger is not the winner

Quote:
There was good policing on our Azura cruise, about 11 people were allegedly kicked off the ship. So if there are witnesses to the interview with a passenger & they still lie surely the boss sides with you? If the passengers are that badly behaved who cares if they are lost as customers? If they are that bad do cruise lines communicate about them?
From what I have read across NA and UK boards in terms of passengers making a complaint rightly or wrongly is the Captain has the final authority (which by law he has as the master of the ship) to make a final decision.
With that power comes the ability to dump you and those in your cabin at the next port. The basis is that person (s) could cause further issues on the trip.
So, most of us law abiding passengers knowing this and not wanting to be stranded stay away from complaints unless our life or comfort has been violated.
In essence, if I do complain about the deck chairs and the crew member who is yelled at by the offending passenger might elect to make me the bad guy, no one will defend me.
All power rests with the crew so I find it interesting that senior officers are worried about those who yell the loudest, might it have to do with the passenger being some perceived prestige person vs. rest of us
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
So you gave the barman glasses that belonged to you & expected him to clean them for you? or give you replacement souvenir glasses? You say your glasses "were dirty" so dirty that you didn't want to drink mout of them? what on earth had you been doing with them?
you took the words right out of my mouth.. pardon the pun..lol.. but thats exactly what I was thinking !
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
It seems all you like to post are arguments or how wonderful you are and only you know the true calling of service.
It is not in anybody jobs criteria to know whet it took for a passenger to afford this trip. All passengers are equal in terms of service.
The board is normally for folks to offer knowledge and help for cruisers not to rant about what is bothering you on a continuous basis.
Cheers
Sorry I will go away, really pleased someone had the honesty to make me realise this
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
So it is the airline luggage rule
I thought you had said it was the cruise line had restrictions
I misunderstood

We take 1 bag each usually weighs less then 15 KG but we do not take formal wear
Not required on our cruise line
This bit...
''Yep, on fly cruises, P&O include the flights so control things,''Odd thing is if you query anything the airline says "contact P&O" & guess what P&O say when you do??? Yep, correct!
We were a bit pushed on our last cruise as it was for 28 nights with all dress codes in effect.
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofreebc View Post

I also didn't really appreciate getting woken up at 3:30am by the front desk because a movie stopped playing on TV. You're on a cruise, turn the TV off and spend some 'quality' time with your SO or something. It's a boat...go outside and breathe in some sea air, and let me get some sleep so I can work 14 hours tomorrow with some rest.
I completely agree that the crew and anyone who provides you with service should be treated with respect and a level of understanding.

However...........If I pull up a PPV movie at 1, 2, or 3 a.m. and it stops halfway through I will call the front desk. The front desk will then tell me they will have it fixed, or that I will have to wait until the next day, or they will refund my purchase and I can try later. If I am told any of these I would be more than understanding.

It is not my problem as a guest to know the staffing and work schedules or that someone will need to be awakened from sleep in order to fix this. It is up to the cruise line to set the hours of service for these functions and if it isn't staffed at that time then let the guest know it or have someone on duty. If I want to watch a movie, on my vacation, at 3:00 a.m. then I will. If staff doesn't want to be bothered at this time then don't offer the service at this time. If someone is the "on call" person then that's part of their job and if they don't like it then they need to address it with their superior and not make a guest feel bad for asking for something they paid for.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Oh I lied RobH, I'm still here and I was not in the mood to get into it with you the other night.

Forgetting about me and how I approach being on the GRIPES board, it has never been or ever will be a place to come for practical advice,,they do that on CM elsewhere.

CM GRIPE is let’s say a bit different to the other threads, its a place to moan and then take all that goes with that moan on a subject by the poster. Some folks will agree or some will disagree on whatever opinion and thought or gripe someone has about "whatever".

Simple, always has been that way on Gripes, always will be

Oh and guess who these post came from on practical advice if that’s the criteria for posting on CM

“We moved west to the Pacific ocean to escape the snow but every few years it surprises us though we have dry grass in the summer and green grass in the winter”.
“Had the grandkids over for a sleep over, counting down the time till their dad arrives
Bit noisy right now but ah well.
“Computers paid for our mortgage as that was my profession all the”
If you live in a greenhouse then sometimes you have to watch where and at what you throw stones

Last edited by DayvidB; February 5th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Hmm... perhaps a little more water with it may help....
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Oh I lied RobH, I'm still here and I was not in the mood to get into it with you the other night.

Forgetting about me and how I approach being on the GRIPES board, it has never been or ever will be a place to come for practical advice,,they do that on CM elsewhere.

CM GRIPE is let’s say a bit different to the other threads, its a place to moan and then take all that goes with that moan on a subject by the poster. Some folks will agree or some will disagree on whatever opinion and thought or gripe someone has about "whatever".

Simple, always has been that way on Gripes, always will be

Oh and guess who these post came from on practical advice if that’s the criteria for posting on CM

“We moved west to the Pacific ocean to escape the snow but every few years it surprises us though we have dry grass in the summer and green grass in the winter”.
“Had the grandkids over for a sleep over, counting down the time till their dad arrives
Bit noisy right now but ah well.
“Computers paid for our mortgage as that was my profession all the”
If you live in a greenhouse then sometimes you have to watch where and at what you throw stones
DayvidB
A Gripe board on CM is about folks indicating their concern about a cruise or misadventure not to come out of the snow and just search ones posts for something to argue about. Try a real life concern or gripe if that is what makes you happy but since you have shown your colours, expect no valid support or response.
Oh yes, we have no cover over our grass and I do not throw stones nor have.
The posts you copied of mine (in Legal terms you should have added as a Quote' from myself) were not from the 'Gripe' thread they are from two threads that folks use to chat with each other about their life and cruises. If you check out the name your would know that.

Last edited by robh; February 5th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Familiar Face

A lot's due to unreal expectations.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Admiral

RobH, what? You want me to give legal disclaimers when quoting what you said that was already public knowledge on what you said and on the same board that we are both posting on??? Come on, reality check here bud on what internet posting actually means here please.

And if what I say or my opinon you do no like, fine you can ignore it or you can decide to argue the point. This whole thing is just that, opinion
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

People should opine about the topics, not about other posters! Simple really.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Admiral

So we agree Kuki, when RobH kicked all this off by posting about me
"It seems all you like to post are arguments or how wonderful you are and only you know the true calling of service" that he or she started another X posts that the orginator should not done given it was a personal attack on me and not about the subject, nice one. Pleased to have your support, thanks Kuki
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
So we agree Kuki, when RobH kicked all this off by posting about me
"It seems all you like to post are arguments or how wonderful you are and only you know the true calling of service" that he or she started another X posts that the orginator should not done given it was a personal attack on me and not about the subject, nice one. Pleased to have your support, thanks Kuki
I think Kuki was speaking generally, all you appear to do is rant.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Default Banned

I note with little sadness the demise of "DayvidB" he always seemed "cross" about something.
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
People should opine about the topics, not about other posters! Simple really.
Yes, point is I was quoted out of a different thread not the one he claimed. That was what I said.

Anyhow, have a good day
Cheers

Last edited by robh; February 20th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I note with little sadness the demise of "DayvidB" he always seemed "cross" about something.
John,
How can we always keep a poster happy I guess but my charm has vapourized today.

Shucks
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
RobH, what? You want me to give legal disclaimers when quoting what you said that was already public knowledge on what you said and on the same board that we are both posting on??? Come on, reality check here bud on what internet posting actually means here please.

And if what I say or my opinon you do no like, fine you can ignore it or you can decide to argue the point. This whole thing is just that, opinion
This was my original post to you not the way you reworded to Kuki.

"The posts you copied of mine (in Legal terms you should have added as a Quote' from myself) were not from the 'Gripe' thread they are from two threads that folks use to chat with each other about their life and cruises. If you check out the name your would know that"
To make you happy I'll rescind the legal terms comment.

Shucks, thought you were away. Ah well life moves on..
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Sorry Radiofree, but I'm smelling some major trolling or misdirection here.

Why, it just dont tie up for me, and one of my fellow gripers did pick up on it above.

I can hear and read your gripe, but it sounds like a gripe supposed to be from a crew member, but written by a passenger. You nearly did it, but hey ho, caught out bud.

And if I can tell you why I'm pee'd off with you, its because on gripes I expect honesty, it may be off the wall, it may be contraversial, it potentially could get you banned on here for that opinion, but its honest in your heart and opinion.

Your just throwing out curve balls waiting to see if someone will hit..you can do better. Give your own real opinion.

And if in the very very very slim chance that you are a crew member that found this site,,,your in the wrong job, simple as most of us too take crap EVERY day at work especially in the service industry. If you knew the service industry, then people who are good at it do not see the jobs they do as being a slave to anyone. And on a ship the ones that do service well are well rewarded well, they have respect, know how to play the game and actually make a lot of money. Did you realise that?

How ship passengers, like customers in a shop behave everyday is like water off a ducks back to a professional in service,,,they know the game when working in service. SO again your interpretation of what people do or think that work in service shows you have not actually done it
Sorry for the delay, and I can't respond to all the points right now, but can assure you that I was real crew. I'm not trolling, and just thought this was an appropriate place to do this (honestly rant a bit). I'm very thankful for the chance to have a place like this to express what I said, because there are so few other ways to do it. There are very few ways to actually have a voice directly with the guests...so this is appreciated. And again...I'm not talking about people on this site, and the times when things like these happen are few and far between, but all of it does happen. I am also very thankful for my experiences, and do love the people I met and worked with. I had a great experience that will last a lifetime.

I do know that I sounded harsh and like I shouldn't be in customer service...and, to be honest, I really wasn't. I was a broadcast technician and the only time I really ever had to deal with guests was when I was shooting the cruise videos...which I absolutely loved doing. I was really lucky, and I loved interacting with the guests like that. I got the best of people...never the worst.

People didn't complain directly to me (except about things I really couldn't do anything about, so I'd pass the messages along). I never had to deal with lineups of people complaining at the front desk (usually about nothing), and then pretty much have to kiss butt, just to to make sure that they didn't get a bad comment in the comment cards (which are scrutinized beyond belief...you have no idea how seriously they take them). The only complaints I got were about the lack of programming on the onboard television, and honestly...if they understood ANYTHING about satellite television (and satellite television in INTERNATIONAL waters) they would have kept those comments to themselves. Just to get television on a moving ship is flat out amazing, even when you understand the technology. The fact that people complain about a lack of variety is incredibly ignorant and honestly pretty small-minded. Stay at home if your TV means that much to you...people watch too much TV.

And people take television for granted...even on land. I've heard it said that people think that us video producers just wave a magic video wand and television appears, but it's not like that at all. I worked pretty much 24/7 on those networks, and they were the biggest venue on the ship...not that I ever got any recognition for that. People always told me I didn't do anything, but I worked 12-14 hour days everyday, just to make it look like I wasn't doing anything.

Nobody ever once thanked me for the SuperBowl, nobody thanked me for the Oscars, or the Champions League, not one comment about the Final Four, or any of the Bowl Games. Not in the 10 years I was on ships, did ANYONE, EVER, thank me for one peace of television I ever delivered to them...even while the ship was moving at 20 knots, I might add. All I ever heard from guests was "why don't we have Domestic/US CNN or ESPN? (in Europe, where it's illegal)", or "why are there so many channels in spanish?", or "why aren't there enough channels in spanish?", or "why is the signal fading in and out? (when we're crossing the Atlantic)", or "why can't we just broadcast that, or this, or that...instead of this or that or this?", never thinking that everything costs money...and sometimes takes months of planning to make happen. I had someone demand Irish Rugby once...while we were crossing the date line in the Pacific. He told me that if I couldn't get ESPN Latin America to change their programming in half an hour, for him, that I should start looking for another job. I just smiled and told him I'd try. I did try. I got laughed off the phone by everyone at ESPN...which I thought was what would happen....but, we needed phone records of me trying, so that when he commented (and he did), that my butt was covered.

People get fired all the time because of what gets commented on. I don't think people realize that they destroy lives with those comments sometimes. I've seen long time employees (with a family back home to support) get fired because they wouldn't sleep with a guest...but then get charged with rape for turning her down. It's happened. That's why employees are PETRIFIED of going into cabins, unless they're working (and very rarely will they go in alone, unless they're cabin attendants or waiters). Some people just don't care about anyone except themselves...and crew members pay the price, 100% of the time.

As far as going toe-to-toe with a guest about deck chairs...it's a battle we always lose, so we hardly fight it anymore. The awful guests that will hog chairs will also lie pathologically to Guest Relations about what that "horrible" crew member did, and there's no chance the crew member can fight that...they usually end up with written warnings, or just get sent home. As far as people making tips...maybe 10 years ago. Not now. Not with America on the verse of collapse. Revenues are way down, and the ships are having to add prices on everything, simply because people aren't paying for anything extra anymore. People aren't tipping like they used to. You might, but the majority doesn't. And the crew just keeps getting stretched thinner and thinner. Everytime a position empties, the company tries to get rid of it. The Oasis class ships have almost the same staffing as the Freedom class ships...in a lot of departments. It's hard to make everything happen on the same level when you only have half the resources available...and none of the time you used to have.

I hate to say it, but the industry survives off of employee fear, exploitation, and sometimes almost slavery (especially since the financial crash). Just look at the nationalities still working on ships. You don't see many Canadians, Western Europeans, or Americans working anymore. The ships don't really pay a living wage for people in those countries anymore (my wage was 35% LESS in 2010 than it was in 2000, and my hours/stress had almost doubled), so it's become all Filipino (and recently South America, where the people can be exploited even more).

Sure, there are still senior staff and officers making good money...and dining room managers making good tips, but that's about it. Nothing trickles down anymore...it's basically slavery...and it's only because the people from these oppressed countries are such good people, that there is any service at all. If there were North Americans or Europeans in those jobs...the service would be horrible...beyond horrible. We're not as decent as they are...and we wouldn't deliver a fraction of what you're seeing on ships...if you knew how much they were taking home, and how they were living. We'd be on strike...or complaining so much that something got changed...just like we do when we're guests.

Anyways...that's a rant that I'm sure will stir the pot. I'm not trolling, and I have the utmost respect for the people on this forum. I'm not hating on anyone, but I'm just passing along experiences so that guests can help the crew make it a better environment for everyone. The crew do honestly love what they do, for the most part, but that should never be a reason to take advantage of someone. I'm sure you'd be less likely to work hard at your job if you were only taking home $200/mth...and that $200/mth wasn't worth what it used to be. It's hard....crew should be respected more in the whole equation. I honestly think there should be a union and a universal set of rules. Officers have it too good (and honestly, they have no transferrable job skills...many of them are the dumbest people onboard, but they run the show), and the crew have it horrible. There's a reason you don't see crew areas...and it's not safety. You're not seeing much video from down there either. It's not nearly as nice down there as it is up top...and most crew aren't even allowed up top, unless they're working.

Anyways...food for thought.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Familiar Face

The one thing in this entire thread that I feel a need to comment on is someone saying that if a crew member can't take the heat, then they must be in the wrong job.

It doen't matter who you are, or what job you are in, if the conditions are unbearable for the person, then they are unbearable. Everyone has their own limit as to how much they can put up with, but this can happen to anyone in any type of job. If a person has to leave a job because of poor treatment, then that is not right. It has nothing to do with the person choosing the wrong type of work.

This is not to say they people always choose a career that is right for them. There are many reasons a person might end up in the wrong job, but that is not what this conversation is about.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Familiar Face

I am curious about the lawnchair situation...

I worked on Celebrity and Princess in the spa for two contracts...

Princess was too huge for me to notice chair availability...but Celebrity seemed to do quite well with the chair police...lol.

So has anyone notice a difference between different lines in this situation?

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:51 AM
First Mate

I was sent a survey from Carnival (via email) after my last cruise. I gave high marks to all employees in every area - especially my cabin steward. I gave his name too (Mohammed). He was truly awesome!! My only complaint was about the food quality in general. I felt it needed serious improvement. I don't really feel that is the staffs fault.

I did however send a ranting complaint to Celebrity (in writing)..I noticed my cell phone disappeared from my bag just before we debarked. It had been in the very bottom of my carry-on so someone had to have really done some digging for it. They claim they did an "investigation" but found "no one" at fault. My cell phone company did tell me someone did attempt to use my phone at the port of Miami just before I had it shut off. They offered no apology; nothing. Hence, I have never sailed them again.

I always go out of my way to be friendly to ship employees on every level despite the earlier theft with Celebrity. Tips are always given to those deserving.

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Very few business now days enforce rules, dress codes non-smoking, or whatever. They're afraid of retaliation, and well they should be. Patrons/passengers, can be rude, turn violent or come back with a vengeance and destroy property or hurt them personally.

Businesses, including the cruise industry, have to weight the cost, decide whats petty (maybe not to us) and what will make the biggest impact with the littlest disturbance.

For some reason, there are more people who in general seem angry, defensive frustrated or have an air of 'self entitlement. It's hard to give or receive good service when both parties have one or more of these attitudes. Manners, honestly, personal self-control...etc. Attributes/qualities that were common years ago...most would find hard to define the words let alone value having them.

Some irritants (e.g deckchair hogs) are just that, irritants...a fly buzzing around your head. Not worth the time to complain. Just remember, you can't really do anything about people who are selfish and self-centered. And even if you CLEARLY point out the problem...they won't get it...and you will only be more frustrated.

Employee attitude is another matter. An employee represents the business that trained and pays him. If you work in an service industry and you don't like people or your job...you NEED to change. Doesn't matter if you work on a cruise line, bus line, air line or if your a doctor, nurse or police officer. Once you reach that point in a job that regularly interacts with the public and you no longer like what you do or the people you serve...it's time to change jobs or quit. Your not doing yourself or the public a favor by continuing!