Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:25 AM
Familiar Face

Default Guests that don't appreciate how hard crew work

Some people come on ships, thinking that the crew are their personal slaves. I know this isn't the case with most (and nobody on here), but sometimes it's amazing how badly crew members (especially minorites) are treated by some of the guests, who come onboard to work us to death.

Slavery was abolished hundreds of years ago, people. We know you're on vacation, and you earned it...and we want you to be happy, but if you're one of those people who just aren't ever happy with anything, and you lash out at us...when we're working 14 hour days, away from EVERYONE we love for months on end...it makes us want to jump off those balconies you complain are obstructed. We don't even get windows, most of us. We know you're paying for a vacation, but look at where you are, and think "is it really as bad as I think, or do I just need to relax?

We're people...not robots. I know I'm not speaking to you when I say this, because everyone here seems really nice...but wow...I've heard some real horror stories from crew (especially housekeeping/wait staff). Some people just don't know how to treat people.

Sorry...you're asking for gripes...there's one from the crew side.

I also didn't really appreciate getting woken up at 3:30am by the front desk because a movie stopped playing on TV. You're on a cruise, turn the TV off and spend some 'quality' time with your SO or something. It's a boat...go outside and breathe in some sea air, and let me get some sleep so I can work 14 hours tomorrow with some rest.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Admiral

That is the mentality of a lot of people in this world ,unfortunately .
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
That is the mentality of a lot of people in this world ,unfortunately .
I know...but nobody from here, right? I just hope that people read this and think twice about taking their personal crap out on a hardworking crew that tries so hard (with the limited time/tools we're given) to make your vacation special. It's hard these days, when we're stretched to the limit, so shareholders can cash in a dividend.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Admiral

No excuse for rudeness, but that's the public service industry for you, so perhaps if you are not suited to the life you have the wrong job?
Maybe a question for you?....why don't staff enforce the dress codes & why do staff allow chair hogs to get away with it, it's not up to passengers to get into confrontations.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Default Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofreebc View Post
I know...but nobody from here, right? I just hope that people read this and think twice about taking their personal crap out on a hardworking crew that tries so hard (with the limited time/tools we're given) to make your vacation special. It's hard these days, when we're stretched to the limit, so shareholders can cash in a dividend.

I know a guy who was a cruise director on the princess line .He often spoke about attitudes by passengers re crew .
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Maybe a question for you?....why don't staff enforce the dress codes & why do staff allow chair hogs to get away with it, it's not up to passengers to get into confrontations.
Maybe the crew do not want a confrontation with passengers ..some are quite the bullies when it comes to getting their own way
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
First Mate

True but the ship does have security staff who are trained to deal with any situation and as a passenger I would like to see as you suggest for those rules to be enforced.
It can start as a simple tag on the lounge chair saying it has been empty for the last hour or so and per our guidelines we will allow this chair to be used by a waiting passenger. Your property is available from the .whatever. area.
If they act as a bully then they are reminded of conduct expected and an officer will be summoned to speak to them.

I'm getting to the point which I admit of not allowing some passenger to assume they are above the rest of us onboard and for the cruiseline to come alongside of us
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
No excuse for rudeness, but that's the public service industry for you, so perhaps if you are not suited to the life you have the wrong job?
People are on vacation...we usually don't want to cause a fuss about the dress code. Usually there are many more people who just don't care about the dress code (depending on the cruise line) than there are people who think that's important. I guess it really shouldn't matter what people wear, as long as they're not naked. It's a vacation...not a State Dinner. I like dressing up sometimes, but I don't think it should be required, and I think a lot of people share that opinion. Plus, sometimes luggage just gets lost...

As far as the deck chairs go, we do ask sometimes, but if a guest just flat out refuses, most of the staff that would confront them don't have the confidence or status to challenge them. It's not easy to get security to come deal with that, and it might make the crew member look bad. It's a tough one...because they're breaking the rules, but what can you really do?

Last edited by radiofreebc; January 25th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:19 AM
First Mate

John makes a point that we have talked about many times and that is the universal complaint about sun deck chair hogs.
We just came back from a cruise and some friends of our from a different cruise with same issue.
The only time the sun deck is truly empty on a warm or sunny day is on a shore day though toward the bow or stern you might find something but not around the pools.
Admittedly you cannot design a ship to have all 3,000 to 5,000 passengers on deck 14 but as ships get larger this becomes a larger issue.
What is the solution, I'm not sure but certainly if I will remove your car from a parking lot in a mall when the sign states 3 hours then we should mark the lounge chair if empty with a book or towel , in like manner
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Sorry Radiofree, but I'm smelling some major trolling or misdirection here.

Why, it just dont tie up for me, and one of my fellow gripers did pick up on it above.

I can hear and read your gripe, but it sounds like a gripe supposed to be from a crew member, but written by a passenger. You nearly did it, but hey ho, caught out bud.

And if I can tell you why I'm pee'd off with you, its because on gripes I expect honesty, it may be off the wall, it may be contraversial, it potentially could get you banned on here for that opinion, but its honest in your heart and opinion.

Your just throwing out curve balls waiting to see if someone will hit..you can do better. Give your own real opinion.

And if in the very very very slim chance that you are a crew member that found this site,,,your in the wrong job, simple as most of us too take crap EVERY day at work especially in the service industry. If you knew the service industry, then people who are good at it do not see the jobs they do as being a slave to anyone. And on a ship the ones that do service well are well rewarded well, they have respect, know how to play the game and actually make a lot of money. Did you realise that?

How ship passengers, like customers in a shop behave everyday is like water off a ducks back to a professional in service,,,they know the game when working in service. SO again your interpretation of what people do or think that work in service shows you have not actually done it

Last edited by DayvidB; January 25th, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
First Mate

Default Take a fresh look on your assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
Sorry Radiofree, but I'm smelling some major trolling or misdirection here.

Why, it just dont tie up for me, and one of my fellow gripers did pick up on it above.

I can hear and read your gripe, but it sounds like a gripe supposed to be from a crew member, but written by a passenger. You nearly did it, but hey ho, caught out bud.

And if I can tell you why I'm pee'd off with you, its because on gripes I expect honesty, it may be off the wall, it may be controversial, it potentially could get you banned on here for that opinion, but its honest in your heart and opinion.

Your just throwing out curve balls waiting to see if someone will hit..you can do better. Give your own real opinion.

And if in the very very very slim chance that you are a crew member that found this site,,,your in the wrong job, simple as most of us too take crap EVERY day at work especially in the service industry. If you knew the service industry, then people who are good at it do not see the jobs they do as being a slave to anyone. And on a ship the ones that do service well are well rewarded well, they have respect, know how to play the game and actually make a lot of money. Did you realise that?

How ship passengers, like customers in a shop behave everyday is like water off a ducks back to a professional in service,,,they know the game when working in service. SO again your interpretation of what people do or think that work in service shows you have not actually done it
DayvidB,
Please check out this link
Some cruise timelapse videos I made. Enjoy!

and see Radiofree 's response to my question on his videos, it shows he does / did work on a ship. Perhaps not in the Hotel side but certainly the Staff side and probably was able to chat with the two groups.
Kind of like a talk show host, depending how you ask the question will determine most of the response. So, sounds like he heard a lot about ugly passengers making ones life miserable.

Last edited by robh; January 25th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Thanks but I dont need to get into this too deep. If they / you where and no longer employed in the cruise industry, then the right call. If you are still in, get out,,,never suited to the job, why do it when you are apparently so unhappy with the clients you get onboard. Leave the job, people are not going to change and there will be others out there that will do your job better and not moan.

Dont know if you both wanted a shoulder to cry on, wish I had one in my job. Lets hear from the people that work in McDonalds or Walmart that think they too are treated like slaves,,,not. Why because they are doing a job and its by choice

Last edited by DayvidB; January 25th, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks but I dont need to get into this too deep. If they where and no longer employed in the cruise industry, then the right call. Never suited to the job
I'm not out to defend his posts but you have no idea of how good or not he was at his job which looks like the photography area. That area is normally contracted out to 3rd party companies mainly ( I believe) from Australia and Canada and the staff do not stay for xn years unlike the Hotel side of the ship.

Last edited by robh; January 25th, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks but I dont need to get into this too deep. If they / you where and no longer employed in the cruise industry, then the right call. If you are still in, get out,,,never suited to the job, why do it when you are apparently so unhappy with the clients you get onboard. Leave the job, people are not going to change and there will be others out there that will do your job better and not moan.

Don't know if you both wanted a shoulder to cry on, wish I had one in my job. Lets hear from the people that work in McDonalds or Walmart that think they too are treated like slaves,,,not. Why because they are doing a job and its by choice

Your assumptions are way off base.
You have no idea of what I do or did not nor Radio..and I have no need of your platitudes. A lot of people work hard at what ever their jobs are and do it by choice and a lot have landed not by choice but by necessity.

I do assume you support the fact that majority of cruise ship workers regardless of their position do work hard and the vast majority of passengers are respectful of those that want to ensure they have a good cruise.
Cheers
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofreebc View Post
Some people come on ships, thinking that the crew are their personal slaves. I know this isn't the case with most (and nobody on here), but sometimes it's amazing how badly crew members (especially minorites) are treated by some of the guests, who come onboard to work us to death.

Slavery was abolished hundreds of years ago, people. We know you're on vacation, and you earned it...and we want you to be happy, but if you're one of those people who just aren't ever happy with anything, and you lash out at us...when we're working 14 hour days, away from EVERYONE we love for months on end...it makes us want to jump off those balconies you complain are obstructed. We don't even get windows, most of us. We know you're paying for a vacation, but look at where you are, and think "is it really as bad as I think, or do I just need to relax?

We're people...not robots. I know I'm not speaking to you when I say this, because everyone here seems really nice...but wow...I've heard some real horror stories from crew (especially housekeeping/wait staff). Some people just don't know how to treat people.

Sorry...you're asking for gripes...there's one from the crew side.

I also didn't really appreciate getting woken up at 3:30am by the front desk because a movie stopped playing on TV. You're on a cruise, turn the TV off and spend some 'quality' time with your SO or something. It's a boat...go outside and breathe in some sea air, and let me get some sleep so I can work 14 hours tomorrow with some rest.
I fully agree with this post I've been on about 12 cruises and as a passenger I am very ashamed of some of my fellow passengers they seem to think that the crew are their personal slaves .Life is so beautiful when we all do our part to be pleasant to one another,some of the nicest people I have met on cruises are the staff,or the people who treat the crew as humans 3 cheers for the crew and staff of all the cruise ships I've been on for you people have provided me with the best vacations I have ever had !!! and if there was a rude person on the crew all you have to do is report them
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
some of the nicest people I have met on cruises are the staff
Most staff on board are wonderful, but I've also encountered some 'ugly' and arrogant ones.

I rarely complain on any cruise, but this past November on Conquest I had 3 incidences from staff-- two of which I made formal complaints while on board. Now if I take the time out of my vacation' to make a formal written complaint, it's because it was pretty significant and needed to be addressed right away.

One incident was my partner and I going to a bar (we purchased souvenir glasses the day before) and taking our souvenir glasses expecting to have our dirty glasses replaced with new ones as was the protocol from a bar who served us the day before, only to have ice put in our dirty glasses. When I called him on it, he dumped the ice immediately back into the ice bin. He made a snide remark that I gave him the glasses, it was my job to clean them and they do not give clean glasses upon refill. (Not true per bar manager) He then proceeded to serve me in new glasses using the same dirty ice he had just dumped back into the bin. I just wanted to throw up. This was a sanitary issue. How many other times has he dumped somebody’s dirty ice back into the ice bin…? I took it straight to the information desk and filed a written complaint. The incident only got uglier with him continuing to show his cocky arrogant attitude in flicking an employee’s head knowing we were watching and the employee turning around wondering why on earth he had just done that.

I understand wanting to cut down on dirty dishes, but at least rinse out an obvious dirty glass and NEVER throw dirty ice back into the ice bin.

It seems to me that service has gone down and attitudes have changed since tips are automatically charged now.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Admiral

So you gave the barman glasses that belonged to you & expected him to clean them for you? or give you replacement souvenir glasses? You say your glasses "were dirty" so dirty that you didn't want to drink mout of them? what on earth had you been doing with them?
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
So you gave the barman glasses that belonged to you & expected him to clean them for you? or give you replacement souvenir glasses? You say your glasses "were dirty" so dirty that you didn't want to drink mout of them? what on earth had you been doing with them?
You may find my gripe petty, but it is a sanitary issue nonetheless.

First of all, I don't even drink/eat after my own children or anyone for that matter. I have a very weak stomach and the thought of it makes me ill.

The 'dirty glasses' had been sitting in our bathroom (limited counter space in our cabin) for probably 24 hours before we decided to have another 'specialty drink.' In all of my years of cruising, I have always been given a new glass, just had to trade in my 'dirty glass' for a new one.

Was an eye opener that I have probably been served with somebody else’s dirty ice all along and the thought of that makes me want to vomit.

On top of the sanitary issue, this guy had an attitude and needed an attitude adjustment. Hopefully after my complaint, he got one.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I'm hearing what some are saying above, but what confuses me is why some people that work in the cruise industry would come onto a gripes board that is a vehicle for complaining about the cruise experience and expect sympathy when they are actually moaning about us, not the line, not the wages, not the tipping policy?

In my opinion, a lot, but not all, of cruise, hotel and restaurant staff have changed tact on customer approach in recent years and some can appear really in your face when dealing.

To me, thatís because they donít know what working in service actually means or how to do it properly,, they think its slavery or you as the passenger / paying customer are actually beneath them and at this moment in time they are actually doing you a favour, so you should be grateful ,,,,,mmmm.

My opinions are Platitudes Rob, well if that how you see it fine "seemingly profound statements that a certain person views as unoriginal or shallow". If you base all on here on that your going to have a great time

PLUS, donít give me, I do the job because of necessity, because necessity means you are just there for the money, not what you can give, not what you can offer to the passenger experience. Itís a job that demands customer service for all they are and what you get back from them, if you canít do that then you are in the wrong job because others can do it right, met them experienced them.

COULD I DO THE JOB, NO as my nature would not allow me to do it, so I find another job that is more suited to me and my character and more suited to the people that I may have to deal with on a daily basis.

Do I feel all ship staff are treated fairly both by the employer and the passengers, NO.

Do I feel that some staff are actually along for the ride and the bucks they can make for little effort in service, YES

Do the ones that know how to play the true service game make good money and have an easier life and a career in the industry, YES

And can I ask you and your mate a question? When I turn up on a ship for my vacation do the crew consider how hard I worked to be there and the sort of crap I've had to go through to make my money to be there,,no I'll bet.

Wonder what some crew are like when off ship and now being a customer,,mmm

Last edited by DayvidB; January 26th, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Admiral

I don't wish to sound ungrateful but I don't really care how hard people work, any more than they consider how hard I may have worked to be on the cruise, or how long it may take some people to pay the CC bill or loan they may have taken to pay for the cruise. Everyone chooses where they work in the end.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't wish to sound ungrateful but I don't really care how hard people work, any more than they consider how hard I may have worked to be on the cruise, or how long it may take some people to pay the CC bill or loan they may have taken to pay for the cruise. Everyone chooses where they work in the end.
So, as long as you get their money, their tips and their respect to you in your eyes,,,, is the thing, you actually don’t care about them, they are just another week’s worth of ship cattle fodder and dollars.
As people and customers presented to you for an experience, you could not give a toss on their ship experience or care how your “demeanour” may or may not influence how you dealt with them and their ship experience. Is that what I'm reading?
Why ask people to consider how hard you work, when you dont do the same in return? But key point you are on here moaning about disrespect regarding how hard you work, "I don't really care how hard people work, any more than they consider how hard I may have worked to be on the cruise"

But you do, hence the gripe and back up to it. If you did not care we would not be having this conversation.

And I notice your wee mate that started all this has gone, do you really want to fight his corner? If he /she felt so strong they would be back in and not leaving you to justify

Last edited by DayvidB; January 26th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Uh?

Sorry David, don't understand the reply, it sounds like you think I work on a ship...I do say ''how hard I may have worked to be on the cruise''
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:28 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Excellent question.
I have an excellent answer for you.
Nearly every time a crew member fries to enforce a dress code or kick a chair hog off a chair, the passenger tries to get even.
He/she comes up with outrageous stories about the crewmember being rude, insulting the passenger, etc. Unfortunately the corporate office believes the passenger's story over the crewmember's story.
Too many crewmembers have lost their jobs trying to enforce the rules.
It's just not worth it anymore
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Excellent question.
I have an excellent answer for you.
Nearly every time a crew member fries to enforce a dress code or kick a chair hog off a chair, the passenger tries to get even.
He/she comes up with outrageous stories about the crewmember being rude, insulting the passenger, etc. Unfortunately the corporate office believes the passenger's story over the crewmember's story.
Too many crewmembers have lost their jobs trying to enforce the rules.
It's just not worth it anymore
Thanks for the answer, that is definitely a bad situation to be in & I don't blame the staff for avoiding the situation.
BUT the cruise line should be aware of this & have a senior staff member to act when they have to confront a passenger, preferably with a second member as a witness.
From a passenger's point of view we cannot get into a confrontational situation, we could end up on the dockside having to find our way home & barred from all cruise lines, rules are made by the cruiseline & the cruiseline should apply them fairly, with no exceptions.
I do get annoyed when I buy special luggage to comply with the cruise lines spec.(it is them not the airline) & leave stuff at home to fall within luggage limits & see people ignoring these rule & getting away with it. I do get annoyed when I am told I am not allowed anywhere on the ship except the buffet because I had no room for semi-formal clothes, but find the rule was ignored by all but me. I do get annoyed to find venues sold out for the whole cruise on the first day when no pre booking is allowed but obviously has taken place. I do get annoyed when there are people dressed in less than casual clothes on formal nights & nothing is said by staff. Most of all it's the fact that they make these rules but don't enforce them that makes me cross, either uphold the rules or just drop them.
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Admiral

JTD

I have no doubt that there is more than an element of truth in what Bruce says.

Equally I understand your frustration.

The answer lies with the Cruise Line as you say; but imho they will NEVER enforce the rules because it could cost them passengers, therefore MONEY.

This topic has been thrashed to death but we are powerless to change anything.

Annie
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Admiral

I am sure what he says is absolutely 100% fact, as an ordinary crew member I wouldn't care either, I should imagine to an ordinary crew member the whole cruise thing is totally surreal, we must seem like aliens to them, the overindulgence & gluttony combined with some passengers rudeness and/or patronising attitude.
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Since the complaint made by a paying passenger carries more weight than the story told by the crew member, naturally the cruise line will be more willing to listen to the paying customer, even if they know the crew person is probably right.
Another thing too, usually the crew person has been on enough cruises to know they won't get anything but trouble for trying to enforce some rule or other and they realize too, that you're just a face that's here this week and gone the next week, only to be replaced by someone who is hopefully better and easier to deal with , so they just learn to roll with it and let it go.
Why try to enforce any rules only to start a confrontation they can't win when you'll be gone in a few days?
Now if they, the crew and cruise lines, had to deal with the same people over and over week after week it would probably be a different story altogether.
My wife has worked retail for 35 years and I can tell you dealing with the public in general is not an easy task. I dealt with the public in my working career and know from first hand experience how some, not all, but some people simply are not going to be pleased, no matter what you do for them.
My eggs are cold--mine's too runny, mine's too hard--my coffee is too strong--mine's too weak-- mine is too hot--my bread is stale, mine is too soft-- my beef is tough--mine's too done-- my waiter is too slow--mine didn't give me enough time to finish my salad-- my lobster is tough--mine was too small--my towel is gone from where I left it at 6 a.m this morning and there's a fat man sitting in my chair- -- I can't find a seat by the pool and it's only 11:30 a.m.- - sound familiar? and oh--the ice cream machine isn't working-- it's out of mix and it's only 2:30 p.m.
But we love to cruise !!
Wish I were on one now instead of looking out at more snow and ice!
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
I do get annoyed when I buy special luggage to comply with the cruise lines spec.(it is them not the airline) & leave stuff at home to fall within luggage limits & see people ignoring these rule & getting away with it.
They have a rule on luggage???
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
So, as long as you get their money, their tips and their respect to you in your eyes,,,, is the thing, you actually donít care about them, they are just another weekís worth of ship cattle fodder and dollars.
As people and customers presented to you for an experience, you could not give a toss on their ship experience or care how your ďdemeanourĒ may or may not influence how you dealt with them and their ship experience. Is that what I'm reading?
Why ask people to consider how hard you work, when you dont do the same in return? But key point you are on here moaning about disrespect regarding how hard you work, "I don't really care how hard people work, any more than they consider how hard I may have worked to be on the cruise"

But you do, hence the gripe and back up to it. If you did not care we would not be having this conversation.

And I notice your wee mate that started all this has gone, do you really want to fight his corner? If he /she felt so strong they would be back in and not leaving you to justify
It seems all you like to post are arguments or how wonderful you are and only you know the true calling of service.
It is not in anybody jobs criteria to know whet it took for a passenger to afford this trip. All passengers are equal in terms of service.
The board is normally for folks to offer knowledge and help for cruisers not to rant about what is bothering you on a continuous basis.
Cheers
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, that is definitely a bad situation to be in & I don't blame the staff for avoiding the situation.
BUT the cruise line should be aware of this & have a senior staff member to act when they have to confront a passenger, preferably with a second member as a witness.
From a passenger's point of view we cannot get into a confrontational situation, we could end up on the dockside having to find our way home & barred from all cruise lines, rules are made by the cruiseline & the cruiseline should apply them fairly, with no exceptions.
I do get annoyed when I buy special luggage to comply with the cruise lines spec.(it is them not the airline) & leave stuff at home to fall within luggage limits & see people ignoring these rule & getting away with it. I do get annoyed when I am told I am not allowed anywhere on the ship except the buffet because I had no room for semi-formal clothes, but find the rule was ignored by all but me. I do get annoyed to find venues sold out for the whole cruise on the first day when no pre booking is allowed but obviously has taken place. I do get annoyed when there are people dressed in less than casual clothes on formal nights & nothing is said by staff. Most of all it's the fact that they make these rules but don't enforce them that makes me cross, either uphold the rules or just drop them.
Yes, the cruise lines SHOULD do something about this - but they do not.
Having Senior Officers and witnesses in the room doesn't help either - and the passengers who cause these problems know that.
I am a Senior Officer. I have witnesses at every meeting with a passenger. Many of the passengers still lie, and cause major problems for us.

I am now forced to secretly record any and all conversations I have with complaining passengers in my office.