CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Old people takling loud (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/380636-old-people-takling-loud.html)

green_rd February 21st, 2011 12:12 PM

Old people takling loud

We hear a lot of complaints about kids (and justifiably so.) On our last cruise I was awakened almost every morning about 6:30 by Ethel yelling down the hall to Fred about something or other. If that's the way you communicate at home, fine. But there are people on the ship who didn't go to bed at 8PM. Fred needs to tune up the hearing before they leave home and give the rest of us the break he so dearly desires.

Okay - let the stone throwing begin. I'm ready to wince.

johnthed0g February 21st, 2011 12:17 PM

Eh?? ...what??...

Mike M February 21st, 2011 12:17 PM

Rude behavior is something you see of people of all ages. It's just not exclusive to seniors.

I'll take a stone with this one. But I have noticed that there are some seniors who believe they can get away with or are allowed to demonstrate rude behavior just because they've attained "Senior Status."

It also pertains to the younger folks who believe that rules don't apply to them.

Take care,
Mike

anniegb February 21st, 2011 12:41 PM

You made me laugh out loud!

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1354039)
We hear a lot of complaints about kids (and justifiably so.) On our last cruise I was awakened almost every morning about 6:30 by Ethel yelling down the hall to Fred about something or other. If that's the way you communicate at home, fine. But there are people on the ship who didn't go to bed at 8PM. Fred needs to tune up the hearing before they leave home and give the rest of us the break he so dearly desires.

You get today's prize for making me laugh out loud!

Seniors should be accorded respect. But this is a double edged sword, they should accord respect also.

I am curious, did you ask them to cut it down to a roar? :D

Annie

Paul B February 21st, 2011 04:06 PM

I don't want to hear anyone talking loud early in the morning or children screaming anytime. Everyone is entitled to their own quiet private space.:)

johnthed0g February 21st, 2011 06:43 PM

To generalise, I find some old people to be rude & impatient especially in lifts(elevators) & in queues (lines), youngsters tend to be more inconsiderate but often not intentionally.

Dhill February 21st, 2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Thank yougreen_rd for the good laugh Ido not know why I just thought that was really funnythe Ethel yelling down the hall to fred;)

Trip February 21st, 2011 07:19 PM

I guess Fred and Ethyl don't understand what "indoor voice" means! The walls in the cabins too, are thin...This drives me crazy...when people of any age, talk loud on a cell phone, thankfully there are no towers at sea!!
I would be slapping a few people by the pool for sure:)

johnthed0g February 21st, 2011 07:22 PM

I wonder why (we) talk loud on phones, I reckon it's because the incoming voice is more faint than normal & we compensate, I try not to do it though & if I am in somewhere I usually go outside.

DonD February 21st, 2011 10:34 PM

I've found that very few seniors are loud and inconsiderate. No doubt there are some but overall not so.

Phil&Liz February 21st, 2011 11:04 PM

Regardless of the age, on every occassion when you meet or pass them in the hall, ask about the resolution of the topic of discussion or loud talking you are subjected to.

Being so loud they surely wanted you to be privy to it.

Lakers Fan February 21st, 2011 11:07 PM

Many elderly refuse to wear hearing aids .These people tend to speak in a loud tone and they are not aware of it .

Moiraine February 22nd, 2011 12:19 AM

Some people with hearing problems don't have hearing aids because the insurance will not cover them. Of course, some people just won't wear them. People of any age can be and are rude.

GrannyLorr February 22nd, 2011 01:44 AM

How to cure "old far*s deafness"?? Go up to them and speak ~with no sound~...as in just moving your lips. They will think they really are deafer than they thought and tweak their hearing aids, or go buy a new one!
Hubby and I have just moved from acreage to the suburbs....I can no longer go outside and yell OI!! Dont think I have done that on a ship....yet.....

Parrot Mom February 22nd, 2011 08:49 AM

My new friend

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannyLorr (Post 1354243)
How to cure "old far*s deafness"?? Go up to them and speak ~with no sound~...as in just moving your lips. They will think they really are deafer than they thought and tweak their hearing aids, or go buy a new one!
Hubby and I have just moved from acreage to the suburbs....I can no longer go outside and yell OI!! Dont think I have done that on a ship....yet.....

GRANNYLORR---your my type of woman:D What a great "sick" sense of humor... Parrot Pop has used that....

babe ruth February 24th, 2011 01:56 PM

No guest of any age should yell down the hall early in the morning, or any other time for that matter. I do, however, tolerate senior citizens who converse loudly in crowds and such, as hearing naturally declines with age, making it more difficult to hear and be heard above the background noise.

Paul Motter February 24th, 2011 02:20 PM

My Mom !!!!! 92 years old and she can be the rudest person in the world, and she is so deaf she doesn't realize she is saying it loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

She thinks its especially funny to comment on overweight people. - and these days that is most of, ummm... us.

It isn't nice at all and its embarassing to me when she does it. Now to be clear, she is pretty senile and does not know she is offending, but I get a lot of looks.

Paul Motter February 24th, 2011 02:22 PM

But as far as hallways go - I think we have all forgotten that there are people behind those doors and have yelled out. But there are people who just dont seem to get it and they do it all the time. When I see that I will open the door and ask them to tone it down. I have no tolerance for that.

ruthlessboss February 24th, 2011 03:17 PM

The people who talk loud usually isn't so the other person can hear. Being deaf in one ear (no it's not fixable) and some loss in the other, we can't hear ourselves well from inside our head. I've been told to "turn it down" at times, especially when I get excited over something.

ChrisB March 23rd, 2011 04:33 PM

My mom age 89

Will not admit to being deaf. :confused: She says she can't afford a hearing aid but her insurance really DOES cover it. She just won't use one. Food for thought: She would really love to come over and spend the weekend with Dh and I again but last time, she had the TV on full blast and we couldn't sleep. If dh and I tried to talk she would loudly break in to the conversation and get mad if we were still talking. We just can't have her over again. Deafness and rudness seem to go hand in hand.

My turn will come I'm sure, but I hope to remember mom and what an unwelcome guest she became due to her refusal to admit her deafness.

Jacqueline March 27th, 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 1361817)
Will not admit to being deaf. :confused: She says she can't afford a hearing aid but her insurance really DOES cover it. She just won't use one. Food for thought: She would really love to come over and spend the weekend with Dh and I again but last time, she had the TV on full blast and we couldn't sleep. If dh and I tried to talk she would loudly break in to the conversation and get mad if we were still talking. We just can't have her over again. Deafness and rudness seem to go hand in hand.

My turn will come I'm sure, but I hope to remember mom and what an unwelcome guest she became due to her refusal to admit her deafness.

My MIL has the same problem, she is now 83 and getting deafer slowly over the past 7 years. She bought a wireless headset for the television, it works like a charm. She can pump up the volume to blast level all she wants. All you would hear is some of it, but not in another room.
Idea maybe?

david30101 April 14th, 2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Expecially with the strong NY Accent..LOL

OldFartCruiser April 20th, 2011 12:37 AM

To all y' youngons, I hope you make it to be a bother to the next generation of youngons.rofl

robh April 20th, 2011 01:31 AM

Give me a break

Folks, you could pick on anybody of any age span when on a cruise ship
so why the senior bit

Have you even been on a bus or train in some other countries in the world at 630am and expected quiet. Not in some countries, sun rises and so do people.

-Are you going to pick on the joggers as they run down the deck
-Are you wanting to stop the cabin service as the trolly moves down the hall or the silver clinks on the service plate, oh and the tap tap on the door.
- Then we have the deckchaors and sun beds being moved so we can relax when we arr finally up
- What would you do if we all opened our doors and yelled 'Good Morning America', or such
- At least Fred and Ethel are alive, why they are in different cabins is a differnt question, maybe he is normally out getting chores done and she is used to calling him for breakfast, play time maybe ?
- is my 630 your 530 or my 930, 5am perhaps, but at 630am the ship is on a final approach and hopefully the sun shines
- what about the earphones with music beside you in the buffet or sun bed
- and heaven forbid, we hear giggles and heavy OMG noises from next door at 630am , maybe the odd crashing sound of a bed to the wall..

Sounds good to me...rofl

Life is too short , just have a good chuckle :D and remind yourself , at least someone is concerned about Fred and if you have a partner, then cuddle them and chuckle knowing as soon as the shops open you will buy those nifty ear plugs or suggest to Fred you will join hime for an early coffee. Might make a friend you know.

sprint180 April 20th, 2011 06:53 PM

too funny

I think it is interesting that it seems ok to complain about kids on a boat but not old people. I prefer to complain about everyone. Well not everyone just inconsiderate people in general. Parents who don't control their kids. Twenty and thirty somethings that think they are all it and own the place. Forty somethings are perfect :o) The older generation that thinks because they are of that age they can say and do what ever they wish. Dang it is hard being perfect!
Vicki

GrannyLorr April 26th, 2011 08:04 PM

well I am of the older generation and I KNOW I am perfect.....so no one can complain about me! ;)

Pasco08 June 10th, 2011 11:05 PM

I am 21 and i live in Florida as you would know there are a lot of old people well no offence to the elderly or anyone on here but i am tired of being blamed for all of the problems of the world and i get that a lot as i am a CNA and work in a hospital i have found that there is this since of entitlement with the elderly and it bugs me i love em dearly but being Rude isn't acceptable at any age. I have been on 4 cruises this one me and my dad are taking in spetember will be my 5th on all of my cruises i have noticed the elderly be extremely rude to others and i have seen teens and young adults act 20 times better then the elderly.

ruthlessboss June 11th, 2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasco08 (Post 1375554)
I am 21 and i live in Florida as you would know there are a lot of old people well no offence to the elderly or anyone on here but i am tired of being blamed for all of the problems of the world and i get that a lot as i am a CNA and work in a hospital i have found that there is this since of entitlement with the elderly and it bugs me i love em dearly but being Rude isn't acceptable at any age. I have been on 4 cruises this one me and my dad are taking in spetember will be my 5th on all of my cruises i have noticed the elderly be extremely rude to others and i have seen teens and young adults act 20 times better then the elderly.

Sounds like you are part of the "ME" generation. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate what's bugging you! :rolleyes:

Pasco08 June 11th, 2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1375577)
Sounds like you are part of the "ME" generation. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate what's bugging you! :rolleyes:

Entitlement?

ruthlessboss June 11th, 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasco08 (Post 1375582)
Entitlement?

How about an example or two so we will have a clue. I'm a senior, go with the flow and am lost as to what you (or others) are referring to.
The one thing that bugs me is those rental or private scooters that plow through. (and not all users are handicapped to the degree of necessity)