Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Would you book a "child-free" cruise
Yes, adults-only 35 57.38%
No, children are a joy 4 6.56%
Maybe, I don't really care who else is on-board 22 36.07%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Cruiser View Post
When I read Oceania has kid-free cruises and does not want a lot of kids on the others either I thought that cruise line is definitely for me.(It also has the best smoking policy.) What could be better than kid-free and smoke-free?

Then I read passengers are only allowed to eat at the Italian specialty restaurant twice. I would want to eat there every night instead of the MDR! I can't sail on a ship with a nice Italian restaurant and only be allowed to eat there twice the entire cruise.
First I have to correct you Oceania is NOT kid free or smoking free
They do have some children on some cruises but usually well behaved & smoking is allowed in 2 small areas but you can avoid them

You might get more dining reservations for Toscana if there is space & you are flexible with days & times
The GDR has much more variety the menu in the specialty restaurants does not change
You may want to check out the O class ships as you have a more of a chance to get extra reservations in the specialty restaurants

You could also look at Azamara same R-class ships as Oceania but only 1 outdoor smoking area & you can eat in their Italian restaurant as often as you want .....you just pay extra for it

enjoy whatever cruise you choose
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Banned
Captain

A BIG YES TO CHILDLESS CRUISES. Also add :

Childless :
Hotels
Movies
Restaurants..I love when I go to a restaurant and they want to sit me next to a table of screaming kids...I never allow that, I always tell the host which table I want to sit at. Since Im paying for the meal I deserve to sit where I want. I always pick the most remote areas...If a family comes in with loud kids I don't hesitate to move to another table even during the middle of my meal. The same way people feel they can bring screaming kids I have the same right not to listen to it...Thankfully there are now a few restaurants here in PA that have adopted a no children policy...And I love it.
Love the childless resorts...It was so refreshing to go to a great destination and not have kids running amock
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but this is why having kids onboard bothers me:

1. Even if the kids are "supervised," their parents let them do what they want to do.
2. Often kids get fussy when their parents make them do something they don't want to.
3. Many moms let their kids cry and do nothing about it when a little one is fussy.
4. I am mentally unable to block out talking kids and pay attention to the other adults.

If all this crap can happen on land, it can happen on a cruise ship too.

I think you know you are generalizing and are painting all children/parents with the same brush.

I hope you find and enjoy your child-free vacation.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
First I have to correct you Oceania is NOT kid free or smoking free
They do have some children on some cruises but usually well behaved & smoking is allowed in 2 small areas but you can avoid them

You might get more dining reservations for Toscana if there is space & you are flexible with days & times
The GDR has much more variety the menu in the specialty restaurants does not change
You may want to check out the O class ships as you have a more of a chance to get extra reservations in the specialty restaurants

You could also look at Azamara same R-class ships as Oceania but only 1 outdoor smoking area & you can eat in their Italian restaurant as often as you want .....you just pay extra for it

enjoy whatever cruise you choose
I understand the only P&O ships that are true adult only are the Arcadia and Adonia, and in European terms that means over 18's only. I think they also do adult only on some other ships but its on a selected cruise basis.

Sound good as those pesky seven to twelve year olds running about everywhere and ignoring the No Smoking signs really wind me up :-)
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I think you know you are generalizing and are painting all children/parents with the same brush.

I hope you find and enjoy your child-free vacation.
I am fully aware not all parents and kids are bad but I can't tell you how many times I've seen parents deliberately ignore their fussy kids, including crying babies, and kids who obviously are under age 16 sitting in hot tubs. It happens enough for me to wish I could go places without young kids just in case some are out of control like that.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 26th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Admiral

There is nothing better than dipping an infant in the hot tub. it adds to the flavor. Hi David.
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Oriana is child free too.
Like all groups, people with kids can think they are special, I had words with someone on another site who said "her kids are fussy eaters, will the MDR waiters go to the buffet if the kids don't like the MDR food" I said I doubted it, & that it was unreasonable to expect them to do that. I suggested if they were fussy the whole family should go to the Buffet. She went bonkers...
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
I understand the only P&O ships that are true adult only are the Arcadia and Adonia, and in European terms that means over 18's only. I think they also do adult only on some other ships but its on a selected cruise basis.
I was talking about OCEANIA the cruise line not OCEANA the ship
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I went to the official websites for all three cruise lines. Only P&O mentions the fact that kids are not welcome on every ship as far as I can tell.

Azamara claims to spend more time in port than any other cruise line. I would love that because there is never enough time in port Then they go on to say it is a luxury line. If that is true, I can't afford it.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Then they go on to say it is a luxury line. If that is true, I can't afford it.
Just because they say it does not make it so

Check the prices then decide they may be a premium line like Oceania
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Azamara is about the same as Oceania Cruises. These cruise lines are "niche" cruise lines that are between Premium and Luxury but are quite nice. However, while children are welcome they do not "cater" to children like the Premium and Mainstream cruise lines.

Off the top of my head I don't think they have a children's program on board. I may be wrong about this and someone can feel free to correct me.

I've sailed both lines, but it's been a long time since I cruised Oceania, and I definitely prefer Azamara. The food was far superior and the service was much better.

The prices will be more than most Mainstream (Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean) and Premium (Celebrity, HAL, Princess) cruise lines but usually less than a Luxury line. (Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn, Silverseas)

Take care,
Mike

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Admiral

I watched far too many episodes of Lost to even consider a line that sounds like Oceanic.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991