Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Paul, I would have made many mistakes on our cruise's after the 1st one(which was a "free" cruise from DH's company).

Thankfully, by the time we took our second cruise, I had found this site and was able to learn some very important things.

We've never been "caught" by anyone on board the ship (we don't do the Spa stuff), but we did spend $5.00 on a cab to a shopping center in Ocho Rios, Jamacia. After the driver dropped us off we found that at the end of the shopping area was the (very short) walk to the ship !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default FLL charges

Here are a few unexpected higher costs for your cruise.

1st - A ship transfer cost from the port to FLL is $15-$20 pp. A cab cost ~$15 for the ride. Cab goes directly to your airline, shuttle goes to everyones airline before yours.

2nd - Book your cruise then look for good airfare to & from FLL. You may be able to get a good airfare to FLL, but if your ship returns on a Saturday or Sunday be prepared to pay 50% or more for a flight home after 10:00am until 6:00pm. There will be 7 or 8 other ships (incl RCL's monsters) arriving and the airlines know that. To get around that, if you live w/i a days drive and it is a winter cruise, rent a car and drive it. The car rental agencies have an excess of cars in Florida and will charge a very norminal drop off fee.

I used Fort Lauderdale as an example, but other ports may be the similar.

OF C'er
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was on Seabourn - Canada New England, and while in Canada I received a text message containing a picture of our dogs.

I looked at the picture on my cell phone - but it must have been 5 MB in size when attached. Even though I had "data roaming" turned OFF on my phone I was surprised to see a charge of $480 just for data on my next phone bill.

The amount of data they said I used was a mere 28 MB - but the charge is $25 per megabyte.

Now, I had data roaming turned off - so I wanted to know what kind of data I was being charged for (the bill did not specify it was the picture, this is just what I assume). Verizon actually told me I needed a court order to find out the exact type of data was I was charged for due to "privacy laws." Well, we are talking about my own phone.

Needless to say, I was told a lot of stupid, useless, incorrect information about that charge by Verizon. Finally I got a supervisor to retroactively reduce the charge to a mere $30 to reflect the cost a 50 MB data package had I pre-paid it.

Obviously, I didn't buy one in advance because 50 MB is nothing if one picture can use up 28 MB of data transfer. But in the end it was worth not having to fight over the $480 charge - so we just paid it.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default mysterious phone charges

I have a Sprint Android phone with International calling. I did use the phone a couple times knowing completely well that I would be whacked for $3 a minute.

I tried using it a few times early in my cruise and found that the call would drop usually in under 30 seconds. When I could connect, the reception was terrible. So I stopped using the phone except when I was in a port and had a good signal. When my bill came around, I started reviewing it and saw that there were 6 incoming calls of 1 minute each from the ship the day before I reached the port. There were also 2 incoming calls that I supposedly answered between 1 and 2 AM the day befor that.

This of course made me suspicious of every call that was logged because I knew for a fact that the last 8 calls were 100% completely bogus. I called Sprint to discuss it and they are looking into the matter but it seems someone is trying to hose me for $50 or so for no reason at all.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

Carnival Freedom 11/2010
HAL Zaandam- Mex Riviera 04/2013
NCL Jewel- Panama 05/2012
Carnival Splendor 10/2011
NCL Spirit 03/2011
Carnival Freedom 11/2010
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Familiar Face

update: Sprint agreed to cut the bill for the international calling in half. Maybe still not a great deal but I guess it was nice of them to at least make an effort. I don't think they cared to actually look into the issue, they just wanted me to pay my bill and go away.
HAL Zaandam- Mex Riviera 04/2013
NCL Jewel- Panama 05/2012
Carnival Splendor 10/2011
NCL Spirit 03/2011
Carnival Freedom 11/2010
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Banned
Captain

When you book a cruise and pay a deposit the final price of the cruise can escalate due to the volatility of oil prices prior to you paying the cruise in full....but most travel agents wont tell you this, some do...However with the price of oil plunging and some experts have speculated that oil will drop below $40 a barrel I don't see the price increase as a problem.

however I paid in full my cruise on Crystal in December.

Here is some fine print on a Celebrity statement :
in very small print it states - Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 per barrel. The fuel supplement for 1st and 2nd guests would be no more then $10 per guest per day to a max of $140 per cruise; and for additional guests would be no more then $5 per person per day to a max of $70.
Which in my book adds up to a possible $280 for a family of 4.

I dropped the fuel charge on all customers from a high of $2.00 per trip (if a family of 2 in car price is still $2.00)to $1.00 per trip. If fuel in my area drops below $2.75 a gallon then the extra fuel surcharge oon customers would be dropped...all customers are informed of the surcharge prior to dispathing a car to their pick up point even though we are not required to tell them over the phone...all that is required is to display the fee in a noticable place in the car...we have it in bold red lettering.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

CivilSid...

I agree that there seems to be something going on with cellphones and cruise ships. My erroneous charge for $475 was jaw-dropping, and like you I couldn't get the compony to discuss it, but they did agree on a "settlement" with me - $30.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
First Mate

The daily "resort" fees some hotels have now been tacking on to your bill. If you don't read the fine print, you'll find out at check out when you have to pay a handy little sum for no good reason at all. These resort fees are generally an extra $10-30 per day which does not sound like a lot but adds up if you are staying a week or two..I won't even go into what hotel taxes have come to nowadays..

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
The daily "resort" fees some hotels have now been tacking on to your bill.
In Vegas almost every hotel has a resort fee. That way they can advertise a room for $29 cheaper and add it to your bill at the end.

On a cruise I don't mind them charging for extras, most of which I could care less about, but photo prices are just stupid now. At $10 it was a splurge a few years ago, but $25-30 for a photo on the dock now?

I have to agree on the possibility of paying more as the oil increases. Hasn't happened yet as most lines are ignoring it but when it does and you don't find out until the last night of your cruise... hate to be working guest relations that night.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
First Mate

I have to go with the hidden port fees.
Carnival now gives you the exact port fees back instead of a flat $20 for missing a port.
But it seems funny Guest Services can't tell what the port fees are until you actualy miss the port.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
In Vegas almost every hotel has a resort fee. That way they can advertise a room for $29 cheaper and add it to your bill at the end.

On a cruise I don't mind them charging for extras, most of which I could care less about, but photo prices are just stupid now. At $10 it was a splurge a few years ago, but $25-30 for a photo on the dock now?

I have to agree on the possibility of paying more as the oil increases. Hasn't happened yet as most lines are ignoring it but when it does and you don't find out until the last night of your cruise... hate to be working guest relations that night.
Add-ons make the cruise company a multi billion dollar industry.

Specialty restaurants
Pay for all liquids except water, Iced tea, tea, some coffee,
Bingo
Pictures
Tours
Gift shop items
Spa
Some lines now charge night room service
Art auctions
Fast food joints
And so much more...This is where they make the big bucks.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Admiral

I have never had an issue with the hair salon, probably because I only used it once...at my husband's request...neither of us thought it was worth the $, and I would rather spend my time in other ways.
A couple of years ago, though, I did get a nasty surprise. Booked a cruise on Carnival, which we like, and one reason was the stop in Roatan. Did not know that they had built their own dockside complex. They had previously done this in Costa Maya and Grand Turk. We didn't mind either, because there wasn't a lot to do either place. But, Roatan? It was brutally hot, no pool, no shade and to get to the beach, you either had to take a long walk or pay extra for a ski lift to get down the hill. Then, you could not get to the water without booking a cabana, as these had been put up so close together that it was a wall. Plus, Carnival apparently never checked into why they were able to lease this little cove. Seems the jelly fish love it, as they were as thick you could ever imagine. I felt that if Disney built prison camps, this would be their model for it.
Haven't been on Carnival since!
Marty
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:41 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Paul

Me suspicious - never

It has puzzled me however that the cruiselines have not been more proactive to the developments in photography over the last few years; if they reduced the selling price of the photographs they would probably sell more

Annie
I always love to hear this comment on ships.
"If you would just lower the price, you would sell more".
Probably very true by the way. But perhaps a bit naive.
I suppose it matters if you sell things just to sell things, or you sell things to make a profit and stay in business.

"If Jaguar or Mercedes would just lower their price by 50%, I would buy one.
That way they could sell more automobiles."

These people apparently didn't have time to take economics 101 in school.
Selling your product at a loss is not a very wise business plan.

In the cruise industry, EVERYTHING is ALWAYS about the money.
If somebody had figured out how to sell photos for less money and still make a profit, we would all be doing it already.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

He is saying that if they took "less" of a profit per item, they may be able to sell "more" of that item and make "more" profit overall.

What gobsmacks me is that they haven't tried selling CDs with the pictures burned onto them for an extra cost. I know a lot of people would like to have the pictures electronically and would probably be happy to either get a CD or have the pictures sent to their e-mail address for an additional cost.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

1) paying for baggage on a flight.

Now that they have started charging you to take baggage on a flight everyone takes just carryon luggage - so what has this done? It has slowed down the boarding process like crazy as everyone vies for s spot in the luggage bins - but it has also got the airlines breaking their own rules and inviting people to check luggage for free even though others already paid $25 dollars.

Yes - I realize there is a weight difference and that our would not have fit in the bins, but the main reason we check it is so we don;t have to worry about it during layovers, etc.

Is it fair that most people do not have to pay a cent to check luggage, but those who want to do it have to pay?

2) Rental Car surprises. These are worse that your phone bill where a $25 monthly fee gets socked with $45 in additional taxes which they do NOT tell you about up front.

I just rented a car and it gave a price of $201 TOTAL. (it said), but when I went to check out the cost was closer to $296 total
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I have to disagree on the voucher issue... the "oh, but your reservation was cancelled, but we didn't tell you, and we have physical possession of your voucher" would definitely fall into the "what's the catch" category when the time came for me to check in to my flight.

Being very honest - this subject was brought up by me because I have been running into a lot of salespeople lately who seem to believe it is OK to let the customer believe everything is fine even when it is not. Now, I have been running into this more with other things lately, but I am interested in seeing how it plays out in travel.

I just wrote an article about cruise line "Choice Air" type programs where they lead you to believe they will take care of your costs if you miss the ship because your flight is cancelled. They will make phone calls for you and try to get you rebooked, but any ancillary costs are your responsibility.

The unrevealed tax & fees are not as bad as the luggage costs with the airlines - the latter are never figured into the base price they show you when booking the ticket.

With a cruise you do see the taxes & fees before you make the final purchase - but not until that point. It does make a big difference, say if you thinking about either Mexico or Alaska. Alaska taxes & fees are usually much higher.

Hi Paul

Knowing your rights and the penalties imposed by the FAA will better help flyers navigate the system. I will post details on a later thread.

To address the issue of Tax & Government fees, the Panama Canal cruises are among the highest!
The up-side, you can see the expansion of the canal in progress, Thank you Panama.

Here is an issue the cruise lines and airlines reserve. The right to charge a fuel surcharge, read the fine print on terms & conditions of the surcharge basis, if the cost of fuel is based on a specific market per barrel. verify that market rate & the cost of a barrel before booking and at time of flight, if you see that the cost is higher, then be prepared to pay the added cost or don't get upset on the added cost at check-in.
Cruise lines want return customers, they use discretion, however, the so-called discount airlines flying with-in Europe are notorious for adding the fuel surcharges and the penalties for over weight luggage can be 50% of the total ticket price. So learn the conversion between kilo's and pounds! TIP of the day, use a carry-on, if you need to reduce weight, really.

Fair warning about airport taxes and Government fees, Both Heathrow & Gatwick in London have huge added cost for government tax & fees, Frankfurt is third in ranking. I checked a flight departing Rome on Lufthansa to Frankfurt (lay-over) at Heathrow in London then direct to LAX, The taxes/fees one way were $174 US dollars.
Point being, always look at NON-STOP Flights "Point A to Point B".

Many online discounters will display direct flights, This is deceiving and most frequent flyers know so, Airlines & online discounters avoid to mention a lay-over or they use the term "aircraft change" which increases your Government fees/taxes and add hours on your travel time.
This mainly applies to West Coast departures to Europe in most cases, The East Coast Airports usually don't have this issue.

Example: Lufthansa has NON-Stop flights from LAX & San Francisco to Frankfurt Germany.
Lufthansa has entered new equipment in Los Angeles (LAX) the new "Dreamliner = Boeing 787" & the new 747-800 series, which is expanded an additional 16 feet from the last 747 version.

I use SEAT GURU to check aircraft "equipment" and seating, It will give you the details on every seat including electrical plugs, entertainment, WiFi access, cell phone use and on-time performances of route.

San Francisco (SFO) has the Airbus A380-800, worlds largest passenger liner.
Lufthansa uses these aircraft on there NON-STOP flights on both routes.
Non-stop is around 11.5 hours.
Direct can be around 16 + hours, pending your lay-over time

US Airways has a flight through from LAX to Rome with a lay-over in North Carolina, the taxes & fees in North Carolina are around $23.00 one way.
If you fly through Washington DC to Rome using "Dulles" expect to pay around $86.00 one way

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Captain

I am bummed they stopped the skeet shooting, no more $1 shoots!
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post

1st - A ship transfer cost from the port to FLL is $15-$20 pp. A cab cost ~$15 for the ride. Cab goes directly to your airline, shuttle goes to everyones airline before yours.

2nd - Book your cruise then look for good airfare to & from FLL. You may be able to get a good airfare to FLL, but if your ship returns on a Saturday or Sunday be prepared to pay 50% or more for a flight home after 10:00am until 6:00pm. There will be 7 or 8 other ships (incl RCL's monsters) arriving and the airlines know that. To get around that, if you live w/i a days drive and it is a winter cruise, rent a car and drive it. The car rental agencies have an excess of cars in Florida and will charge a very norminal drop off fee.

OF C'er

Flying on Weekdays is an option.
Old May 24th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Captain

Thumbs up Extra fees/cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Annie GB....

I love your outlook, because you are suspicious of most people just like I am.

But in this case, I think they kept formal nights because they help to generate revenue, but without a doubt it has been a feature of cruising since ocean crossings first came in to service, so it isn't just a gimmick. Many people would protest if they were taken away.

However - if they detracted from revenue there is a good chance cruise lines would get rid of them, because they are very revenue oriented.

But in this particular case - I would put the "blame" more on the Steiner's hard sell. They are notorious for using every little trick in the book to generate extra revenue.

It is tough for the cruise lines because somew things have degenerated to the point where they can hardly make money - like photography. I remember when most people bought a stack of pictures onboard. But now with digital cameras people buy less. However they can produce a print for far less, also, and they sell them for 500% more than say 10 years ago.

I agree, formal nights generate big $$ dollars for the cruise lines, point in case, The spa services are booked solid in most cases, the Rentals for Tuxes which co-inside with photo's/videos bring in revenue, the bar sales lots of cocktails and bubbly, the pay restaurants are always booked solid and so on.

The flip side of the coin, mid-night buffets are almost extinct. The cruise lines have determined that the photo's from the passengers don't justify the food being discarded and the labor in hours allocated to create the production.

Passengers that have late seating or dine in the pay restaurants after 7 PM and the seniors whom are dead asleep around 10 PM vs the labor and the cost of the food "inventory" including the ice sculptures don't justify the overall expense.

I know this post will create some negative feed back, but the fact that cruise lines look at the bottom line on profits is an indicator that the resources will better serve the stock holders, if the bottom line can show a profit.

When I first started cruising, the majority of the ships never had retail food services such as sushi bars, coffee bars, pastry cafe's etc., exceptions were a single pay restaurant.
The booze policies are a perfect example.

When my brother got married, I took 10 cases onboard.

If you look at the changes that are being made fleet wide with most cruise lines, when the ships are scheduled for dry-dock, the venues that generate revenue are always part of the refurbishment.

Cruising is still a great value.
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Captain

Talking Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post

OF C'er

The only way you can have an old fart, is to keep it in a jar
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Do a little research and very few gotcha' fees getcha'. I can't believe anyone that fly's doesn't know most airlines charge some type of baggage fee. Also, how can anyone expect to order an alcoholic beverage and not pay?!? I have to admit, on my first cruise (oh so many years ago) I got caught by the tipping costs. Heck I didn't even know that tips were expected. More than a bit embarrassing for me as I had little cash with me and things like ATMs were only science fiction. But I was young and stupid and naive. Now that I am older, I am still often stupid but a lot less na´ve so I do some research on sites like this and get all the good and bad info so I can be better prepared.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!