CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Tropical storm? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/383983-tropical-storm.html)

shannyn92 July 29th, 2011 07:29 PM

Tropical storm?

Hey all!
Just found this website through Google, and it seems like a really great way to learn all about cruises!

I originally found the website when searching for an article on making a cruise complaint. Here is my story:

Now, I love Carnival. I have been on about 4 or 5 of their cruises, and I've never had a bad time. This past week, however, my family (a lot of them from out of state) flew into Florida so we could all go on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico, because I had raved about how much fun I had the last time I went with my friends. We were all excited to go and do our shore excursions and explore Mexico. Then, the night before we get there, our ship captain literally sails us DIRECTLY into a tropical storm. I have never felt a boat rock so violently, and even the crew members I spoke to said that they had never experienced it so badly. We were sailing through 65+ mph winds!! I was so scared that I was seriously considering phoning my daughter back home and saying I love her, just in case! This went on for HOURS, mind you, and in the morning they informed us that we couldn't go into Mexico because of the tropical storm, and that we now had to go to the Bahamas. Of course, we were disappointed, but I understand weather conditions sometimes happen and prevent these things. My whole issue is that I know for a fact these ship captains have radars and check the weather reports. If he saw we were headed right into a tropical storm, couldn't he have turned around right then?! We literally went RIGHT into this storm! Even if he didn't realize it was so bad, we should have started to turn around immediately! It made my whole family sick for the next few days because of motion sickness, and honestly kind of ruined our trip. My issue is that the captain should have been monitoring the weather properly and prevented us from going into the eye of the storm in the first place!!

I am just confused on how to go about emailing/writing Carnival about this. I would like to get some sort of compensation in return, because I would really love to take another cruise and actually have a great time!

Thank you in advance!

lulu48 July 29th, 2011 07:53 PM

I do not think they can just turn around ..it is sort of like flying you have other planes/ships in the area ;)
They have shipping lanes ...so the ships can sail giving each other a wide berth

shannyn92 July 29th, 2011 08:16 PM

Yeah, I know that. But the thing is that he said before we went into the tropical storm that we were going into some rocky weather. I understand you can't just like turn around, but that is what we ended up doing. Plus, if he had read the radar correctly I would think he would have seen this was tropical storm force winds, and not just a regular storm. At least a warning of horrible winds would have been nice, instead of just "rocky weather". I was awoken thinking the ship was sinking! I'm not looking for a whole lot of compensation, even something small is fine. I'm just curious on how anyone else would approach the issue.

lulu48 July 30th, 2011 10:26 AM

I replied in your other thread
But me I just roll with it
It was bad weather no way around it

The Captain will NOT endanger the ship or passengers

fun2cruiz July 30th, 2011 02:22 PM

You have no proof that the captain intentionally went into rougher sea conditions....nor if he did it in error. Rouge waves do come about without warning and sometimes so quickly that the captain can do nothing to avoid them.

These are the risks you take when cruising....perhaps if this concerns you in the future, then cruising is not for you.

You were not on the bridge..... you do not understand all the functions of those controlling the bridge.....you state the captain did not read the radar correcty, did you have your personal radar system hooked up to verify his inability to read radar correctly ??? :(

You state that the captain gave fair warning of the rough seas ahead.... what more do you expect ?

Good luck in writing a letter to the cruiseline for your discomfort experienced, but I would not expect much more than a generic response in return.

Bruce Chafkin1 July 31st, 2011 04:27 AM

Ship Captains do not intentionally endanger their ships or passengers. They ALWAYS choose the safest available route.
Airline pilots do exactly the same thing.
But sometimes they are forced to take you through rough seas or turbulent air because there is no better/easier way to do it.

Question: How many passengers have died on sinking cruise ships in the past 50 years?

Answer: None.
It appears that these cruise ship Captains are either very skilled at protecting our lives - or unbelievably lucky, carrying tens of millions of passengers safely over a half century. The Airlines wish they could have a similar safety record.

65 mph winds are not that unusual. My ship in Alaska hits winds that high nearly every week.
It is not comfortable, but certainly not dangerous - unless you decide to hang over the outside rails.

You can complain to the cruise line about bumpy seas. They will put your complaint into the circular file bin very quickly. Our feeling is that people who cannot handle a bit of rocky seas should be taking their next holiday soemwhere far from the ocean. We will not go out of our way to try to get you to come back.

green_rd August 1st, 2011 07:57 AM

Keep in mind the captain is not up on the bridge making decisions in isolation. They are up there with a navigation team and are often in contact with their home offices - Miami in this case - home of the NOAA hurricane center.

Also, tropical storms can move much quicker than a ship, and as much has forecasters would like to tell you where they (the storms) are going to go, the storms go where they will. This is why many Floridians don't get twitchy until the last minute. They have seen many storms that were supposed to hit but went the other way at the last minute.