Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default I hate pepole who think they know everything and who think the Lifeboat drill doesn't

So i was talking with a couple today and told them my dad and i are going on a cruise in like 25 days. Well this couple went on to tell me how they skip the drills because they cruise 4-5 times a year and know everything there is to know so they hide out in there rooms. Now these people would be the first ones to sue a Cruise line if something were to happen! I hate i hate i hate egotistical know it alls.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Admiral

I don't know, if I cruised 4 to 5 times a year I might try to skip the drill as well. I know I don't listen to the flight attendant's announcements very closely when I fly (which I only do a few times a year.)

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
So i was talking with a couple today and told them my dad and i are going on a cruise in like 25 days. Well this couple went on to tell me how they skip the drills because they cruise 4-5 times a year and know everything there is to know so they hide out in there rooms. Now these people would be the first ones to sue a Cruise line if something were to happen! I hate i hate i hate egotistical know it alls.
I agree 100%.

If I was in charge, I would disembark them at the 1st available port - you would only have to do that once.

Annie
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mainly it is supposed to show you where to go and how to get there quickly. It doesn't matter how many cruises you've been on, each one has a different station for that cabin....As much as it is not fun, I still always go, its a safety issue.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

A sense of entitlement. The way I understand it somebody then has to hunt them down to check them off the master list. For our last RCL drill we sat in a lounge and chatted with a few other interesting couples. Did not have to carry our vest or stand in the heat and put it on. Maybe they don't know as much as they think they do and are still operating under older an outdated impression of the drills. Regardless, it says a lot about the person... at least show up even if you daydream thru the whole thing.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Admiral

lifeboat drills are required, so that means that someone will have to hunt them down, so that they can be checked off the master list, so that holds up every other passenger who just want to get thru the drill as soon as possible
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

That's a lot of hate.......

I see some misconceptions being passed along as fact here too. Look up the SOLAS regulations and you will find it is not exactly as you are told or have come to believe by reading cruise message boards.

Are cruise line required to hold a muster or safety drill? Yes they are.
Should everyone attend muster or safety drill? Yes they should.
Is everyone require to attend muster or safety drill? Well that answer may surprise you.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Admiral

I attend because it is mandatory .If it was optional I would not attend .
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
That's a lot of hate.......

I see some misconceptions being passed along as fact here too. Look up the SOLAS regulations and you will find it is not exactly as you are told or have come to believe by reading cruise message boards.

Are cruise line required to hold a muster or safety drill? Yes they are.
Should everyone attend muster or safety drill? Yes they should.
Is everyone require to attend muster or safety drill? Well that answer may surprise you.
I do believe it is MANDATORY!

Definition of mandatory- manĚdaĚtoĚry/ˈmandəˌt˘rē/Adjective
1. Required by law or rules
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I do believe it is MANDATORY!

Definition of mandatory- manĚdaĚtoĚry/ˈmandəˌt˘rē/Adjective
1. Required by law or rules

Yes it's mandatory that cruise ships hold them.......

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It is mandated by SOLAS that ships hold a muster drill within 24 hours after leaving port. However it is only "encouraged" that passengers attend this drill.

"Drills
On passenger ships, an abandon ship drill and fire drill shall take place weekly. The entire crew need not be involved in every drill, but each crew member must participate in an abandon ship drill and a fire drill each month . Passengers shall be strongly encouraged to attend these drills."

The cruise lines have made attendance of the muster drill mandatory. So it is a matter of semantics. Be it SOLAS or the cruise line's requirement it is still a requirement.

After 30 some cruises it does get a bit old. It is also nice now that most cruise lines don't require that you bring your life jacket to the muster station. I've tripped over a few trailing straps from people who drag them up the stairs.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Familiar Face

I have been on 6 going on 7 cruises but i still go to the drills. o.O
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Thank you Mike.....

It's another one of those common cruise misconceptions. I actually believe some Cruise Directors believe pax participation to be mandated by SOLAS as well and it is not. The CD's that word the announcements carefully know.

It's really kind of up to the individual Captain when it comes down to it.

Future Cruises:
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Snoozeman, I stated that someone has to locate the absentees and check them off a list cuz I know that happened on one of my cruises. As you say, it may have been a policy of that particular ship's crew rather than any maritime law, but at least once it happened, and crew were forced to do extra duty cuz somebody was 'special'.

I go cuz it is part of the expected routine, law or not, and that's just the way I roll. Just consider it part of the cruise experience. It's all good...
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
Snoozeman, I stated that someone has to locate the absentees and check them off a list cuz I know that happened on one of my cruises. As you say, it may have been a policy of that particular ship's crew rather than any maritime law, but at least once it happened, and crew were forced to do extra duty cuz somebody was 'special'.

I go cuz it is part of the expected routine, law or not, and that's just the way I roll. Just consider it part of the cruise experience. It's all good...
I've only been on one RCCL ship that did that. That has not been the case on any other RCCL ship I have sailed. As I have stated, I think everyone should go to muster drill.

Future Cruises:
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Really, isn't it easier just to do what needs to get done, rather then cowering in a closet, or, shower, thinking they're coming to take me away ha ha....!!! lol

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Mainly it is supposed to show you where to go and how to get there quickly. It doesn't matter how many cruises you've been on, each one has a different station for that cabin....As much as it is not fun, I still always go, its a safety issue.
Want to have some fun at your next muster drill? Show up wearing a wet suit and snorkling gear and start chanting "I know something you don't know."
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Default Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTALLEN View Post
Want to have some fun at your next muster drill? Show up wearing a wet suit and snorkling gear and start chanting "I know something you don't know."

How many people really and truly listen on a plane ?
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
You would be surprised - I always pay attention and I am not alone. I always look for the emergency exits.

There was an instance in the last few years in the UK where all the passengers survived a plane crash. The high survival rate was attributed to the fact that the passengers were business people who paid attention to the safety briefing.

As Trip says these safety briefings do not take that long - just do it.

Annie
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
I am certain that there are many that do not listen on a plane....but I am not one of those. I fly frequently and pay attention every time I am travelling. I count the number of seats forward and behind me for exits as well and always select an aisle seat when possible. I want to be prepared in the case of an emergency.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Even after flying close to a million miles over the years I still count the number of rows forward and aft of me to the exits every time I get on the plane. I really don't pay attention about how to put on the oxygen mask or how to buckle my seat belt. It always scrares me that there are people out there who may not know how to buckle a seat belt.

I also reach under my seat to make sure there is a floatation device. After that I just go into my "zone" and fall asleep. It makes the flight go much faster.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Admiral

From my observations most people are either reading magazines or listening to music on headphones on planes .
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
From my observations most people are either reading magazines or listening to music on headphones on planes .
Those are the people that will get you killed in an emergency
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Time to get this thread back on track. Somehow it went from discussing the muster/lifeboat drill on a cruise ship to talking about emergency/safety procedures on an airplane.
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Its the same thing in a sense .
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Do they actually do a head count on a muster drill? It seems like there are always stragglers. Carnival certainly does not know specifically that I went to the muster drill. They used to be able to tell that everybody at muster station X was supposed to be there by looking at your life jacket, but now that life jackets are not required to be worn I don't even know if they can tell that.

I don't remember if Princess scanned us in or not. I think they were testing a new system when we were on Ruby last year.

I believe that crew has to do a cabin to cabin sweep, right?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Admiral

I'd skip them if I could. Just tell me where my muster station is and I'm happy. I LOVE being excused from the second one when we do a B2B. But i'd never intentionally hide in my cabin.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Bob: They don't have to do a cabin to cabin sweep. It's usually the staff Captain in charge of muster so he sets his own requirements. That's why it's different from ship to ship.

Future Cruises:
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Captain

Not on Carnival but we just gave our cabin number & name to the person checking in people at he muster station
They did call missing cabin numbers just in case someone was seated & thye had missed them
On one cruise they had a tissue slipped in the door handle to indicate the cabin was empty so they must check on some cruises

same thing as airlines those that do not pay attention are the ones running around trying to get to a life boat first
Old August 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Admiral

On our last two cruises nobody seemed to care if people showed up or not.