Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Familiar Face

Default 4 year old son went with my aunt and uncle and got food poising....

My aunt and uncle took my 4 year old son on a cruise on RCL's Oasis of the seas! This was his first cruise and i was really hoping he would of had a better time then he did but the first night after Formal dining he developed Food poising! Even the Oasis Infirmary said it was Food poising well my son is everything to me so i was curious if sending a letter to RCL would do any good i mean i am kind of pissed cause my aunt and uncle told me they blew them off and basically told them they should get off the boat at the first port and that it wasn't there FAULT!.
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
My aunt and uncle took my 4 year old son on a cruise on RCL's Oasis of the seas! This was his first cruise and i was really hoping he would of had a better time then he did but the first night after Formal dining he developed Food poising! Even the Oasis Infirmary said it was Food poising well my son is everything to me so i was curious if sending a letter to RCL would do any good i mean i am kind of pissed cause my aunt and uncle told me they blew them off and basically told them they should get off the boat at the first port and that it wasn't there FAULT!.
This doesn't add up. First, how did they know it was food poisoning? If it was suspected, there would be an investigation of some sort. Others would have been affected too! (not just one piece of food your son got).
No cruiseline invites you to get off a ship because they got ill! This is either not true, or there's more to the story you don't know.
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sorry your son got sick on this cruise. Never easy, and, to happen away from you, I know must have been disturbing.

I don't understand, why, if the infirmary said it was food poisoning, why the cruise line would deny that fact. Surely a report was made, and perhaps a payment.

On the other point, over the years, we have seen cruise lines in certain circumstances, make passengers vacate the ship. In this case, I think there must have been miscommunication. You surely can write a letter, but, realize, the response may not be what you want to hear.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have a lot of questions with this post.....Did the dr's on board know what exactly was the bad food? It was stated that it was the first day, could the "bad" food come from somewhere before he got on the cruiseship. Were there any other reported cases of sickness because of food? All this just doesn't quite add up, hope there is a follow up on this..

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I have had first-hand experience with food poisoning (not on a cruise), and it usually takes several hours (8-10?) for the symptoms to show up. I know exactly what your son went through, and it's not something I would wish on anyone. However, is it possible that he ate something prior to boarding the ship that made him sick? If only one person gets sick after eating at a dining establishment, it's difficult to pinpoint the source of the food poising, especially if several people had the same thing to eat at the same place and on the same date. In my case, it was a seafood restaurant, and my wife and I both had the same thing (grilled shrimp). It's a place we've been to for several years and never had a problem. All it takes is one piece of contaminated food. I'm guessing but can't prove it was a contaminated shrimp. Will I eat there again? Yes. Will I order shrimp again? Hmmm. Haven't decided for sure on that. There isn't any medicine that I know of that will instantly counteract the effects of food poisoning. It pretty much has to run its' course. I'm sure the ship's doctor knew this, and knew there was only so much he could to make your son comfortable. Your aunt and uncle were certainly faced with a dilemma. Stay on the ship and try to make the best of their cruise, or get off at the next port, cut the cruise short, and go home? Perhaps that is more likely what was discussed between your aunt and uncle and the ship's staff. Since, as far as you know, your son was the only one on the ship to have food poisoning, it would be extremely difficult to pinpoint the exact source of the contaminated food, and whether it was something he ate on the ship, or prior to boarding. Writing a letter to RCCL probably won't do much good. You'll probably have to chalk it up to one of life's unpleasant experiences. I'd say your aunt, uncle and son deserve a do-over. Go on another cruise (maybe a different ship), and if possible, maybe you could go too.
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

He had all of the sypotoms of food poising so the doctor on-board said it was food poising or so my aunt and uncle told me sorry i am just telling you all what i was told. He didn't eat till main dining they told me had some chips and snacks but that was all. And my aunt and uncle said he was the only one.
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I wouldn't bother writing a letter if that's the advice you are asking about.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
He had all of the sypotoms of food poising so the doctor on-board said it was food poising or so my aunt and uncle told me sorry i am just telling you all what i was told. He didn't eat till main dining they told me had some chips and snacks but that was all. And my aunt and uncle said he was the only one.
Not trying to pick at you, but a 4 year old can't go all day without eating. If it was food poisoning, it would not be from dining room food. I've had food poisoning and it takes many hours till the vomiting starts. Again, I feel you've been misinformed. The getting off the ship may have been a suggestion if the family member was not happy with his care on board and thought they should do more. I can't believe they were TOLD to leave the ship.
Anyway, he survived the illness just like we all do.
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Captain

Maybe the aunt & uncle were letting him eat more junk than he is supposed to and do not want to take the blame
Did they have to pay the ship's doctor?
ask for the report to file a claim with your travel insurance

If he got food poisoning on the ship there will be many others affected
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Was just reading an article and it said that Salmonella, which is the most common type of food poisoning can take anywhere from 1 to 3 days to show up. So there's a good chance that he had it before he got on the ship.

But sorry to hear your son got sick.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Familiar Face

I am just telling you all what i was told by my aunt and uncle i wouldn't of let my son go with them if i don't trust them but i called RCL and there going to send me a Report so i will see what was up.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Admiral

Travelling with a four year old can be tricky. They like to snack on things that may not be healthy and kids at that age put things in their mouths that they should not do.
I am sorry that your son got sick but he probably was already feeling when he got on the ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Captain

If you investigate "Food Poisoning" via Google or another search engine, you can learn an amazing amount of information on the subject.
The CDC Website is also an amazing source of information.

Some of the things you can learn:

1. There are more than 100 different types of bacteria that can cause what is commonly called food poisoning. Some of these bacteria can be controlled by those preparing the food; others cannot. It is sometimes just a matter of luck.

2. There are more than 30 different common viruses that mimic food poisoning. In most cases only very sophisticated chemical analysis can determine the actual cause of the illness. Everyone else is just guessing.

3. Most food poisonong cases - and most viral cases - do not kill you and cause no physical damage - even over the short term. They are not fun, are annoying, and then they just go away.

4. Suffering viral and gastro-intestinal problems causes your body to take defensive measures to correct the symptoms and illness. Many doctors agree that this is a good exercise for your body that may keep you more healthy in future.

5. 100 years from now, nobody will remember your "food poisoniong" episode.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
If you investigate "Food Poisoning" via Google or another search engine, you can learn an amazing amount of information on the subject.
The CDC Website is also an amazing source of information.

Some of the things you can learn:

1. There are more than 100 different types of bacteria that can cause what is commonly called food poisoning. Some of these bacteria can be controlled by those preparing the food; others cannot. It is sometimes just a matter of luck.

2. There are more than 30 different common viruses that mimic food poisoning. In most cases only very sophisticated chemical analysis can determine the actual cause of the illness. Everyone else is just guessing.

3. Most food poisonong cases - and most viral cases - do not kill you and cause no physical damage - even over the short term. They are not fun, are annoying, and then they just go away.

4. Suffering viral and gastro-intestinal problems causes your body to take defensive measures to correct the symptoms and illness. Many doctors agree that this is a good exercise for your body that may keep you more healthy in future.

5. 100 years from now, nobody will remember your "food poisoniong" episode.
That really isn't helpfull besides learning you can Google.
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Captain

Quote:
That really isn't helpfull besides learning you can Google.
This may help as well:

Life is not what it is supposed to be.
Life is what it is.
How you handle that challenge defines your character in the eyes of others.

When unfortunate things happen to people, they can choose to suck it up and get on with life, or they can whine, moan, and demand money to make them happy.
Old August 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Familiar Face

Not demanding or wanting money but this is the Cruise Gripes section soooooooooooo........... One would assume we come here to whine and moan as you put it.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

If it makes you feel better, I would write a letter. However, nothing may come of it, but at least you can get it off your chest.
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Story does not pass the smell test. My main question is WHY would they want to take a 4 year old with them on a cruise!

Old December 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Rick, I agree with you and have wondered the same thing since the post was first made. After all, the 4 year old was a great nephew--not the nephew of the couple who allegedly took him on the cruise. Wonder if the O.P can explain in all detail the paperwork that had to be completed before said cruise, as the 4 year old was their nephew's son and as you said, why would someone want to take a 4 year old on a cruise , especially one who was as removed as a great-nephew would be?
I could barely, and I mean barely, just possibly could see me taking my sister's kid on a cruise but cannot see me taking my sister's KID'S kid!--especially 4 year old at that ! Something stinks and it aint the toilet.
:???: :???:
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Rick, I agree with you and have wondered the same thing since the post was first made. After all, the 4 year old was a great nephew--not the nephew of the couple who allegedly took him on the cruise. Wonder if the O.P can explain in all detail the paperwork that had to be completed before said cruise, as the 4 year old was their nephew's son and as you said, why would someone want to take a 4 year old on a cruise , especially one who was as removed as a great-nephew would be?
I could barely, and I mean barely, just possibly could see me taking my sister's kid on a cruise but cannot see me taking my sister's KID'S kid!--especially 4 year old at that ! Something stinks and it aint the toilet.
:???: :???:
Ummmmmm Why do you care either way why they wanted to take him? Seriously? They wan ted some time with him and wanted to take him on a great vacation.
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Ummmmmm Why do you care either way why they wanted to take him? Seriously? They wan ted some time with him and wanted to take him on a great vacation.
Why are you bringing up the subject 8 months after your last post on the subject?? Sleepless night?
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Why are you bringing up the subject 8 months after your last post on the subject?? Sleepless night?
Nope just been very very busy and i came on the other night and saw what was posted so i responded.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Banned
Captain

This just does'nt seem right...As many have mentioned it take lots of time to start showing signs of food poisoning, I find it hard to believe that he got sick on board and showed signs the same day. I have had my share of food poisoning and never felt sick the same day.

Also I doubt the 4 yr old would be the only one sick on board..

Conclusion : all signs point to him eating contaminated food the day beofre boarding.
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
This just does'nt seem right...As many have mentioned it take lots of time to start showing signs of food poisoning, I find it hard to believe that he got sick on board and showed signs the same day. I have had my share of food poisoning and never felt sick the same day.

Also I doubt the 4 yr old would be the only one sick on board..

Conclusion : all signs point to him eating contaminated food the day beofre boarding.

I agree with you 100%.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Pasco...

I am the editor here, and no one is doubting your story. They are just trying to figure out some of the details. You can gripe here all you want.

The bottom line is that food poisoning can happen anywhere, and it may or may not have been the cruise line's fault. Mosty cruise lines are VERY careful about the food because they do not want an outbreak of anything.

My wife got horrible food poisoning in the Atlanta airport once - she was so sick we needed a wheelchair to get her off the plane in London. Another woman was in the same condition, and we figured out they had both eaten the same salad at a particlular "natural foods" restaurant in the airport.

They were lucky to have figured it out. In your son's case the doctor said it appeared to be food poisoning, but we don't know where he got it. When you cannot specifically pinpoint where it came from you can only assume it was RCL's fault. Other people would have had it as well. You said you knew exactly where he ate - and the doctor did not appear to know of any other cases, so that is why people are just pondering.

If you know the sickness was their fault you can write a letter, and it may help, but I think most of us have our doubts, just being honest. It is like if you leave your pocketbook on the subway - who knows what really happened? There isn't always someone to blame.