Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Default Great Idea

[QUOTE=lulu48;1412117]Let's weigh in on embarkation day Y disembarkation day & let the cruise line charge $$ for how much you gained

/QUOTE]

Yippee - does that mean I will get money back?

I ALWAYS lose weight on a cruise.

Annie
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
This answer makes no sense.
The cruise lines do not require, recommend, suggest, or even hint that anyone tip the room service waiters. Why would we include a gratuity in the price of a cruise when we never even recommended the gratuity to begin with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Excuse me?
Bruce, you never identify the line you work for and that is fine. My experience is limited but of the three lines we have cruised, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity, the cruise lines place tips automatically on passengers account and the passenger must go to the pursers desk to adjust the "gratuities". Our most recent cruise we did not have traditional "fixed" dining and were required to pre-pay gratuities.

Bruce, interesting numbers to say the least. But you cannot compare a cruise line to MacDonald's nor can you compare it to a restaurant. And to use your analogy that someone should not have to pay extra for their cruise fares, because they don't drink soda's ... you can use that anology for just about everything. Why should someone's fare subsidize the kid's programs if they don't have kids? Why should my fare, subsidize the buffet, if I never eat there. Why should someone subsidize the shows, if they do not partake in the entertainment. One fare covers all, makes sense to me.

Again, I don't know line you work for .... but Royal or Carnival, charging me %50 bucks for a coke card ... makes me feel nickel and dimed. Add 50 bucks to my fare and I'm a happy camper.

And yes, the cruiselines do advocate tipping, although not necessarily for room service. Most lines scream, at every opportunity (usually the CD: tip, tip, tip.... as do a minority of the ship's personnel (ex. a waiter at dinner) If tips were not requried, I would not see gratuity envolopes in my cabin.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Bruce, interesting numbers to say the least. But you cannot compare a cruise line to MacDonald's nor can you compare it to a restaurant. And to use your analogy that someone should not have to pay extra for their cruise fares, because they don't drink soda's ... you can use that anology for just about everything. Why should someone's fare subsidize the kid's programs if they don't have kids? Why should my fare, subsidize the buffet, if I never eat there. Why should someone subsidize the shows, if they do not partake in the entertainment. One fare covers all, makes sense to me.

Again, I don't know line you work for .... but Royal or Carnival, charging me %50 bucks for a coke card ... makes me feel nickel and dimed. Add 50 bucks to my fare and I'm a happy camper.

And yes, the cruiselines do advocate tipping, although not necessarily for room service. Most lines scream, at every opportunity (usually the CD: tip, tip, tip.... as do a minority of the ship's personnel (ex. a waiter at dinner) If tips were not requried, I would not see gratuity envolopes in my cabin.
Queen,

Please do not misunderstand.
These are not my comparisons or analogies.

I have been reading 3,000+ passenger comment cards every week for the past few decades.
I am repeating the most frequent comments I read every week, written by your fellow passengers. The overwhelming majority tell us every week of the year that they want to pay ONLY for what they personally consume. They are very candid - and very clear - that they want others to pay for whatever they want to consume.
Although "one fare covers all" makes sense to you (and me too), it doesn't make sense to most of your fellow cruisers. I would love to charge EVERYONE for champagne, caviar, drinks, sodas, canapes, specialty dishes, skeet shooting, deck chairs, flowers, and all the other things that made us so much money (and kept cruise fares so high) for all those years. But most of your fellow cruisers don't want all that stuff anymore (at least they don't want to pay for it). Since they are the ones who keep us in business, we do it their way.
We offer the cheapest possible bare bones cruise fare that most everyone wants - and then let you choose what extras you are willing to pay for.

Yes, cruise lines do frequently try to convince you to tip the staff. And that is what this thread is all about.
Paul doesn't agree with the strange idea that room service servers should be tipped.
I also do not agree with that idea. Neither do the cruise lines.

But one of the posters on this thread suggested that the cruise lines add an extra tip - that is not required, suggested, nor expected, and most of us do not agree with - into the price of your cruise. Isn't that nickel and diming???

Last edited by Bruce Chafkin1; January 29th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You can't argue about personal preference.

Bruce is only saying what most cruisers want. I understand what he is saying and it makes sense to me.

Now - for some reason cruise lines like Seabourn can charge everyone a much higher cruise fare just because they include wine and drinks.

But by far most people on luxury lines say "I know I am paying more than what I consume, but I just prefer the all inclusive approach."

That is their preference. So, Queen, you also have that option. I personally fall into the camp that says "charge me for what I consume."

But to me it doesn't matter whether it is in the cruise fare or after the fact - it is money out of my pocket either way. I don't feel nickel and dimed for anything where I made the choice to consume it.

But that is just me.... and everyone has the right to feel how they feel
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Never occurred to me NOT to tip for room service.
I agree with the thought "charge me for what I consume" unless of course by paying upfront you get a particularly good deal. Some of these drinks packages seem awfully expensive to me though.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Bob,
You are absolutely correct. In fact EVERY mass market cruise line now has auto-tipping.
But that is not the subject of this thread.

If you read carefully, Paul was discussing the EXTRA CASH tips that some passengers feel compelled to give to waiters who deliver room service orders to their cabins. Someone then suggested that the cruise lines add that amount to the overall cruise price instead.
My response was - why add a non-recommended / non-required / not even expected tip to increase the price of your cruise?
That idea just doesn't make any sense.
One correction...Royal Caribbean does not have autotipping. If you book their anytime dining you have to prepay. Otherwise tips are by cash. However, if you wish to have the tips added to your account the passenger must request it by filling out a form.

I have read that some cruiselines, tipping for room service is included in the autotip/service charge, but not all. I guess it depends on who brings the room service order...is it someone who is a tipped crew member or someone not included in the tip pool (eg. another crew member who agrees to do this for extra money over and above their regular duties).
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wando View Post
One correction...Royal Caribbean does not have autotipping. If you book their anytime dining you have to prepay. Otherwise tips are by cash. However, if you wish to have the tips added to your account the passenger must request it by filling out a form.

I have read that some cruiselines, tipping for room service is included in the autotip/service charge, but not all. I guess it depends on who brings the room service order...is it someone who is a tipped crew member or someone not included in the tip pool (eg. another crew member who agrees to do this for extra money over and above their regular duties).
RCCL doesn't have auto-tipping - yet. But they are in the process of introducing it.

All the mass market lines have Room Service Waiters as a near entry level position for Dining Room Staff. As such, they are part of the tipping pool.

Usually, if Room Service gets terribly busy, waiters are pulled from the buffet or dining room to assist. These people are already part of the tipping pool. It makes sense to have food servers delivering room service orders. They have proper USPH training and know the food better than non-food servers would.

There are a few exceptions. Occasionally Cabin Stewards are recruited, in a pinch, to assist with room service delivery. But they are already in the tipping pool as well. Even so, USPH does not want people who clean your toilet and bath tub to also handle your food.

It is extremely rare to have crew from other departments delivering room service orders to make extra money. The International Labor Organization carefully monitors the daily working hours of our crew. They cannot legally be "on the clock" more than 13 hours per day. Since most Hotel Department crew are already working very close to the legal maximum hours every day, it would be very difficult for them - and us - to legally work extra hours on the side.
Bear in mind also that cruise lines do not like to pay overtime or extra duty pay to anyone at any time. As a hotel manager on a ship, with the belt tightening and cost cutting that we see these days, I could never justify allowing a crewmember to work extra hours to get paid more money.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Admiral

With the tipping culture in the US I would have thought tipping room service was normal, I tip room service & tipping confuses me!
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
With the tipping culture in the US I would have thought tipping room service was normal, I tip room service & tipping confuses me!
JTD - I completely agree however many of US cruising friends don't tip for Room Service.

Annie
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Giving you a free soda (or many free sodas for most North Americans) would cost my ship very little. But losing the revenue from the many thousands of sodas we currently sell every week would cost my ship about $30,000 per week, or $120,000 per month, or $1.44 million per year in lost revenues. If you add in the other 16 ships in the fleet, my employer would stand to lose $25,480,000 per year by giving away sodas on our ships.

We could just increase your cruise fare to pay for those losses, but we already tried that, and it didn't go over so well.
Why should people who do not drink sodas have to pay more for their cruise so that you can have free sodas on your cruise?

Why doesn't McDonalds give away sodas in their restaurants? Each one costs them only a few pennies to produce.
1. Because Mc Donalds is not a charity.
2. Because people addicted to artificially colored, artificially sweetened, artificially flavored, artificially carbonated tap water are perfectly willing and accustomed to paying for it.

Cruise lines have the same logic.
You dont pay one price to enter McDonalds as you do on a cruise, and if the lines wanted to do the "free pop" they could and do it to bring in folks - Disney does it without "losing" millions.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoAlaskans View Post
You dont pay one price to enter McDonalds as you do on a cruise, and if the lines wanted to do the "free pop" they could and do it to bring in folks - Disney does it without "losing" millions.
But they do not offer $399 cruises ..do they?
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Familiar Face

I have only ever cruised on Carnival but when booking i always click the pre-paid gratuities button. And i refuse to tip anymore then what i have prepaid i may seem cheap or what not but i just feel like i am nickle and dimed as it is.
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Captain

On the issue of room service tipping on cruises where tips are pre-paid, I think the problem is the cruise lines' failure to clearly specify what "traditional cruise tips" are included in the pre-payment and which (if any) are not. Oh, some of these lines specify that spa tips are not included in the pre-payment. But I don't think they mention room service one way or another, do they?

On the issue of including beverages (soft or hard) in the fare, cruisers do seem divided on this issue. The lines that offer included beverages seem to also include other things that some cruisers find attractive. These include larger cabins with better furnishings, fully included tips, better food (some say), larger service staff ratio for better service, less crowded public areas, -- and much higher fares. It is good that cruisers have a choice in which type of cruise to book. All they need do is a little research.
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasco08 View Post
I have only ever cruised on Carnival but when booking i always click the pre-paid gratuities button. And i refuse to tip anymore then what i have prepaid i may seem cheap or what not but i just feel like i am nickle and dimed as it is.
Don't think room service is included in the prepaid tips just MDR & room steward?
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think this is another things that, they basically leave up to you. The list of included tips is pretty simple and room service is not among those.

Now, if you were home and ordered a pizza delivered, you'd tip the delivery guy, right...I think the same applies for room service on a cruise ship. It would be just a few dollars anyway and normally, room service is pretty quick the few times I've ordered it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:02 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cruise ship: room service tips?

I understand to giving big tips at the end of the journey for everyone and the guidelines with that. But what if we regulate room service, should I give a tip right there?

***Edited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; January 31st, 2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: removed hyper link
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjel14 View Post
I understand to giving big tips at the end of the journey for everyone and the guidelines with that. But what if we regulate room service, should I give a tip right there?
We tip at the time of service
You may not get the same server again
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On some cruise lines you can now add a tip to a ticket they bring - but it is still optional. If there is no ticket it is OK to give cash at the time.
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean says that gratuities are included in their $3.95 room service fee, which they charge for orders between midnight and 5am. As far as I know, Royal is the only line with a fee for room service even though it is just for those 5 hours each day.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Royal Caribbean says that gratuities are included in their $3.95 room service fee, which they charge for orders between midnight and 5am. As far as I know, Royal is the only line with a fee for room service even though it is just for those 5 hours each day.
Norwegian also charges $3.95 for room service between 12am and 5am since sometime in 2011. They do have a 24 hour dining room, O 'Sheehan's, with no fee, and probably a better menu. As you walk to breakfast, ever noticed all the pizza boxes lining the halls with only one slice missing? Either bad pizza, or it just sounded good for a couple minutes at 3:00 am.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default tipping room service

Some people seem to be born cheap. If you can afford to cruise you certainly should be able to spare a couple of extra dollars for room service. If not just go to the buffet and bring your own food back to your room. There are many (and you know who you are) that only take free or agent cruises and then won't tip. Do you know there is a difference between servants and servers? Please treat people the way you would like to be treated.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtime View Post
There are many (and you know who you are) that only take free or agent cruises and then won't tip.
I think this is a totally unfair statement. How do you know if they tip or not?

Besides, most agents I know often tip more than the 'suggested' amount (me included) because they're in the business and, unlike those who don't cruise much, know how hard the servers on a ship work, how little they get paid, and how much they rely on tips for their income.

And you may not know this, but often those 'free or agent' cruises specifically state that gratuities are included, so some people not knowing how all this works, take that for what it says. Personally, I still provide gratuities to our servers no matter what it says, as does many friends of mine who are agents because we've had conversations like this.

Pete
Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/12 yrs exp and 47 Cruises on 11 cruise lines! Favorites: Paul Gauguin - Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises - Europe; Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America - 12-nights Baltics & Russia; RCCL - 14-nights Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America - 14-day Alaskan cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days Hawaii w/7-night NCL cruise; Oceania - 25 days in Asia; more than 3 months touring Europe by train. And many all-inclusive resorts!
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:40 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Talking Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Paul

My initial reaction when I read your OP was surprise. I thought it was only the Brits who had issues with tipping

This subject was debated on another UK board and it is fair to say those who tipped received very good service and those who didn't tip - were kept waiting.

I know someone will say it shouldn't make a dfference whether you tip or not but it does.

Annie

As soon as I board the ship, I leave a phone message for my cabin Stewart to visit my cabin ASAP to pick up cash and cabin instructions.

Because I make special request, I let my cabin Stewart know that he/she will be compensated daily.

I normally request many items upon embarkation including and not limited to a cork-screw, mattress pad, freshly cleaned bed spread, extra hangers, extra bath towels, dark chocolates and not mike chocolates on pillows at evening pull down, I have delivered extra dry cleaning, laundry slips/bags.
I also arrange pick up for shoe shining/laundry in the mornings.

To answer the question, I don't tip! I pay and I pay well for the services rendered.

I do the same for the restaurant manager and head Matre d, I always get appetizer's & dishes not on the menu delivered the following evening.
I also have fresh grinded coffee delivered and not the liquid pre-mix that most of the cruise lines pour.

Bon Voyage
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoAlaskans View Post
That is true.
Instead of nickel and diming you for the sodas, Disney adds an extra $300 to your cruise fare and gives you the sodas for "free".
I like their style.
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I agree. Since tips, in general are automatically collected, room service tipping on a cruise gets to be a case of double-tipping.
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I had the same dilemma when getting room service at the Disneyland Hotel, but wound up giving the server a few dollars anyway. That was the only time I wasn't sure on tipping, the rest of the time it was usually pretty clear the times you should tip. I always leave a couple of dollars each morning for the maids too.
So basically service is included, but should I still tip the waiter or is that unnecessary? I would hate to appear rude!!
Old July 14th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have no problem with tipping extra, when someone does extra for you. Dannyboy's post is a good example of that.

If the cabin steward cleans the room twice a day, leaves clean towels and fills the ice bucket (I guess that's now "extra" on Carnival) I don't tip extra. If I want an extra chair for the balcony, extra towels each day, extra glassware..etc. and they do it, then I tip extra.

I have tipped room service, on cruise ships, since I first started cruising. I've worked the service side of the hotel and restaurant business and I believe some body carrying a tray of food and plates up a number of decks and delivering it to the room is worth a couple of bucks. Especially since there is no charge for the food.

Hotel room service is the rip-off. You pay a higher cost for the food, they add a 18%, or more, service charge and then expect a tip. Now, that's a rip off and one that I hope cruise lines do not follow.

I have always left a tip for the cleaning people at hotels. I know people who are cleaning staff at hotels and they work their "butts" off and are treated like dirt by most people. You would not believe some of the literal "crap" they have to clean up.

I never tip for a bad job or when someone does not deliver. I rarely pre-tip unless I have a number of specific requests.

Over the years I've read the postings of people who slip a $20 - $50 or $100 to the cabin steward when they first meet them and then brag about how great their service was. Well, I didn't and I still got great service. A lot of pre-tipping is stroking the ego of the person giving the tip and not for the benefit of service or the staff member. Some people like to feel like a big shot and, if they do, that's fine. It's their money and if it makes them feel good then go for it but don't expect everyone else to.

Tipping is a personal thing and it's up to you how you want to do it. The thing I do have an issue with are people removing their gratuities from their account for no reason other than they don't believe in tipping. Well, that is also their decision but they are still cheap. Write a nasty letter to the President of the cruise line, post your displeasure of tipping on every board but don't take the salary away from the person who is going to be working, very hard, for you. BTW: They know if you removed your gratuities.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

So - tipping is a more touchy subject than I thought.

I always tip what I am expected to tip in almost every situation (the exception being when I tip extra), and I don't often ask for anything special, but if I do I certainly tip extra for it.

I do try to leave something for a maid - depending on how long I have stayed and what she has done for us. I have also handed cash over to certain people in hotels and cruise ships discretely when they gave me special service.

This is just my personal opinion, but having worked with cruise crewmembers I think many of them would rather not have the tip than to have to fulfill some of the special requests I just read about here. But the better cruise lines WILL do anything to make sure the guest is happy.

By the same token, I have been on some "supposedly" top-notch cruise lines where gratuities are included and had what I would consider worse service than I have received on mainstream cruise lines. So, tipping does have its role to play.

I agree with Mike M in a big way about people who take tips off just because they can. Even if the service was "terrible" I would not do that, because you can't always put the blame on the person providing that service directly to you.