Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Watch Out,when using debit card

When I got home from cruise saw charges billed as I charged them, no problem had zero balance when receiving statement,looking at checking account i see was charged for every item as I made a charge then grand total taken out of checking again,double billed! Was told in three days would release charges and should have read documents,but if it's coming out of checking as I go and have zero balance on statement,why again do I have to be charged? So debit card users be aware of this policy. Carnival Sensation had wonderful room steward,but the other service was not anything near what I received on other cruises. Wonder if it has anything to do with tips given up front now,?
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Debit and credit cards are known to have a "hold" on the account for certain amounts until the cruise is "definately" paid for. You were not really charged twice, your bank account money remains tied up with the words "amount available". That amount disappears in a few days. What I quickly learned was to put cash into a cruise account, and use debit card as a backup only in case you splurge and go over the amount in your cash account.
I've had this happen in the past with a credit card dealing with a major hotel chain. Even though the bill was paid, we quickly found out we still had a hold amount on the account. Pretty embarassing when you are trying to buy tickets at Universal Studios and the CC got rejected because of the "hold" on the account.
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This is one reason I will not use my debit card to pay for onboard expenses when cruising, always use a regular credit card. Once the moneys are taken out of your account, a lot more difficult if there is any errors. We had a cruiser that had a lot more taken out of his account and then he had to fight it with the cruiseline...You have more recourse when using a credit card.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
This is one reason I will not use my debit card to pay for onboard expenses when cruising, always use a regular credit card. Once the moneys are taken out of your account, a lot more difficult if there is any errors. We had a cruiser that had a lot more taken out of his account and then he had to fight it with the cruiseline...You have more recourse when using a credit card.
100% agreement...always use a credit card...If there is a mistake the credit card company in most cases get your money back...they would put a hold on the charge in question.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Admiral

I have been telling people this for ages but they don't listen, apart from those who for personal reasons don't HAVE a Credit card I cannot fathom why anyone would not want to use a credit card...if they have the cash pay the card with it!
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Admiral

I never use debit cards and credit cards only when absolutely necessary .
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Neve use debit card for ship expenses...ever! When we cruise we use ONE credit card for pre-cruise, cruise and post cruise expenses. This way everything is on one statement and if there is a problem we can handle it through our local bank branch.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Admiral

I wonder if she'll be back (for post #2) and find all was really okay, that it wasn't really taken out of her account twice.
We don't know how long it was between the cruise and her statement from the bank or was it an on line review of her account.
These things occur on credit cards too, but most are not aware of it because they don't depend on usage of a CC the way we do a debit card.
No matter what I use my card for, it's never posted as paid on the day of purchase, but shows a charge pending.
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Familiar Face

I for one cannot get a credit card due to poor credit so I have to rely on using a debit card. However, I go to my bank and open a temporary debit card account and put money into it. then all my purchases go through that and if I was victim of identity theft, they only got that account and not my personal account with everything else on it to take from. And my credit union will cover me the same as a credit card if there is a problem. Just make sure you have a little more in your total than you might need for those rare instances where it is double billed. Nobody says you have to spend it all when on your trip but have that buffer in case something comes up and you need it. It is all in the planning before your trip that makes the trip that much better. I for one also recommend that you research the internet in everything you can think of before your cruise so you are best prepared for information you will need. AGAIN, for "new" cruisers, try your local credit union and ask them for a separate debit/credit card to put money into and use that only for everything on your trip.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Same for me. I use only one credit card for everything. To book the cruise. All of the onboard expenses and any purchases that are mad in ports. It's just easier to keep track of.