CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Using an Airline Travel Voucher (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/391129-using-airline-travel-voucher.html)

Paul Motter August 7th, 2012 01:26 PM

Using an Airline Travel Voucher

I got a $400 travel voucher for giving up a seat on an overbooked flight.

The first time I tried to use it I found out that I had to call to make a reservation and then mail the voucher in and then wait for the tickets to arrive by mail (you cannot do it online). Of course, the vopucher is the only proof you have that you have a voucher - and you are asked to mail it in.

Of course I heard nothing for months, but to their credit when I called to follow up they did have the reservation, did process it and sent my tickets along with the remaining balance on my voucher.

Now - I tried to use the balance of the voucher towards a flight. I paid the additional cost on a credit card and mailied in the voucher. Once again, I have heard nothing. I am sure this is just the way the airlines do business - trying to make as difficult as possible for you to collect on what they have given to you.

Arghh!

Donna August 7th, 2012 02:16 PM

Once I had bought tickets and noticed that they went down over 50% and called to change to the cheaper tickets...Although, they could not refund the difference, sent vouchers that I was not able to use. Now, why can't they give you your $ back when that happens?? At least make the vouchers longer than a year?? Just doesn't seem fair to the consumer..

Trip August 7th, 2012 03:29 PM

I hate when corporations make you jump through hoops, as in Paul's case, he did the carrier a favor by giving up his seat, which is always a bit of an inconvenience on some level, when you have a change in plans.

The thank you they gave you, can be real work...These companies, do so, because they can..:(

green_rd August 8th, 2012 10:55 AM

In a three week period I got vouchers from two different airlines. One you could use on line and one where the process is as Paul described. You can also take the voucher to an airport ticket counter and take care of business there (which I did, quite successfully.) Still sitting on $500 from the other airline.

Trip August 8th, 2012 01:17 PM

Green, that's so great, enjoy your free flights. I have offered to be bumped, but have never had to. I was bumped up to first class twice because of my offering...that was great, but, we would have preferred the vouchers.

Did you know if you have ordered a special meal for your flight, and volunteer to be bumped, they won't select you because of that. It happened to a friend, not sure what airline, or, if all airlines have this ruling.

Mike M September 17th, 2012 12:40 PM

I've had MANY vouchers over the years and it does seem like they are making you jump through more hoops these days.

Last year I had two $500 travel vouchers to use but when I called the reservations line to redeem them and book a flight they basically told me that they were only good for domestic travel with a myriad of blackout dates. I was livid.

I then made a special trip to the airport and went to the airline ticket counter and they redeemed them, for an International flight, with no questions asked. I told the person at the airport counter about the issues I had when trying to redeem them over the phone and she said that I did the right thing in coming to the airport. The call center people know nothing other than what their procedures or computer tells them.

I think I'll just go to the airport next time.

Take care,
Mike

michelleclark12313 September 25th, 2012 07:04 AM

vouchers come easier;cancelled the trip before the date of travel, for instance. Maybe the fare goes down after buy, and the airline has a lowest fare guarantee policy.One year from date of issuance use the vouchers easily.

jadeann February 5th, 2013 03:51 AM

Time consuming

It's time consuming and inconvenient . :shock:

Sistersolo February 5th, 2013 09:51 PM

Which airlines make things so difficult? I've had vouchers on both Southwest and Delta, and had no trouble redeeming them online, just enter the number of the voucher in the payment area.

BernieG February 6th, 2013 12:56 AM

I took a voluntary bump for a travel voucher and never again. It was on US air and they treated it like an award ticket and never had any availability...gave up. Next time will be only for a credit that can be used anytime

Alan brad August 29th, 2013 08:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestion...