CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=291)
-   -   Minor gripe:: Entertainment in boarding area (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403072)

bonnyprincecharlie July 20th, 2014 07:57 AM

Minor gripe:: Entertainment in boarding area

Holding pens for boarding passengers should have entertainment. I don't have a big gripe about this, but I would like to have some sort of entertainment even if it is television screens broadcasting the upcoming cruise events in those cruiser holding areas.

aerospace July 20th, 2014 02:33 PM

Totally thought the same many times. Most ships have 4 or 5 music groups/bands/etc, seems they could totally setup a mic and entertain the waiting group a bit. Doesn't need to be a whole show just something.

I have heard but not seen that some lines do this already in a limited fashion. Like Disney sending out the costumed characters to do meet and greets.

Bruce Chafkin1 July 20th, 2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 1504425)
Totally thought the same many times. Most ships have 4 or 5 music groups/bands/etc, seems they could totally setup a mic and entertain the waiting group a bit. Doesn't need to be a whole show just something.

I have heard but not seen that some lines do this already in a limited fashion. Like Disney sending out the costumed characters to do meet and greets.

You may or may not remember that cruise lines used to do this. But then things changed. Many countries - starting with the USA - decided that those ship entertainers who were working in the terminal were taking jobs away from the locals. So they are no longer allowed to work off the ship.
There is one exception. If the entertainers are US Citizens, they can legally work on the pier or in the terminal.
But the bad news is if they are US Citizens, the cruise lines don't want to hire them - because among other issues, they will refuse to put in the extra time to work on the pier.

aerospace July 20th, 2014 08:48 PM

Then hire a local band.

Or just video tape each performer doing one song and play it on a loop with a projector. Then you can decide while waiting; I like the violinist, don't care for the guitarist, need to see the house band, etc.

friedshrimp July 21st, 2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1504439)
You may or may not remember that cruise lines used to do this. But then things changed. Many countries - starting with the USA - decided that those ship entertainers who were working in the terminal were taking jobs away from the locals. So they are no longer allowed to work off the ship.
There is one exception. If the entertainers are US Citizens, they can legally work on the pier or in the terminal.
But the bad news is if they are US Citizens, the cruise lines don't want to hire them - because among other issues, they will refuse to put in the extra time to work on the pier.

So it's obvious that the ship board workers weren't taking away work from Americans because no Americans have come to replace the ship board workers who were told to stay on ship. :cry: