Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default What. Ever happened to top sheets?

Admittedly I am not a luxury traveler so this may be a result of my cheap choices.

It seems once hotels and cruise lines discovered they could throw a comforter into a duvet we have lost our ability to regulate our temperature in bead. If the HVAC is pretty steady that is okay, but since room temperature tends to cycle a little I often seem to go through a process of getting too hot and pushing the comforter aside and then becoming too cold and pulling it back on.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, Royal 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I love a duvet. I haven't noticed that hotels are eliminating the top sheet. I would actually be put off by just having a duvet on top of me in a hotel. You would wonder how often the duvet cover is washed.

At home we use a sheet and a duvet, with a silk insert, and a top sheet. We purchased the first one in Beijing in 2008 and when that began to wear I was able to find the same thing at The Vermont Country Store and purchased two. I'm glad because I haven't seen them in stock there for over a year.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 13th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I have encountered the same situation that Bob mentioned.

These days they seem to do anything to cut cost.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Admittedly I am not a luxury traveler so this may be a result of my cheap choices.

It seems once hotels and cruise lines discovered they could throw a comforter into a duvet we have lost our ability to regulate our temperature in bead. If the HVAC is pretty steady that is okay, but since room temperature tends to cycle a little I often seem to go through a process of getting too hot and pushing the comforter aside and then becoming too cold and pulling it back on.
But you have probably not lost your ability to speak and use the telephone. So when you enter a hotel room that has a duvet on the bed, you telephone the front desk and request they re-make the bed with a plain old blanket and top sheet.
Problem solved.
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have encountered the same situation that Bob mentioned.

These days they seem to do anything to cut cost.

TM

The cost of just one duvet/comforter set would buy new sheets and blankets for years.
The cost of cleaning a comforter just once would pay for laundering sheets and blankets for years as well.

Not sure about your definition of cost cutting, but this is not a very good example.
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Excellent point about point of view on cost cutting. Only an expert on hotel management could give an intelligent, fact-based opinion on cleaning costs. Good observation and comments.
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Captain

I know in most hotels we have been in they have a top sheet as well as the duvet

Is it that you do not want a duvet just the old way with a top sheet & blanket??

I know some cruise lines will swap the duvet for a blanket

I like the duvet myself just wish they were a bit lighter on the warmer climate cruises
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with you Lu, when it is warm and you kick the duvet off, then just he sheet doesn't do it??

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:18 PM
First Mate

It's very much a european thing. We just got back from a land trip to Europe including some pretty high end luxury collection hotels...not a single top sheet in 5 hotels.
Old December 15th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieG View Post
It's very much a european thing. We just got back from a land trip to Europe including some pretty high end luxury collection hotels...not a single top sheet in 5 hotels.
Yep: Very common in Europe. I remember years a go lifting up the bottom sheet only to find a mattress pad under it. It took me a while to get used to the duvet concept but once I did I loved it.

Not so common here. The top sheet still lives.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It's no big deal. It shouldn't matter. I just realized that something that's been around forever, that I grew up with, took for granted and used all the time, is slowly vanishing. Now that it's going, I suddenly care and want it back again, back in my hands so I can feel its touch.
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Admiral

I am amazed at the European comments. I have stayed most of my working life in London, Paris, Edinburgh, Munich, Berlin, Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, Malaga, Rome, and I forget the rest but in all those hotels I had two sheets, one below and one above and only then the scanky "all client" duvet on top of that. I cant dispute your experience, but having lived for 30 years across Europe at least twice a week in hotels. It was not my experience
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never understood a duvet.....lol

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator