Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Viking River Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Welcome!!

We just added this forum for people who want to talk about traveling the rivers of Russia and Europe with this great river cruise line.

Viking River was created by some of the same people who started Royal Viking Line in the 80s, the cruise line that created the mold for what we call luxury cruising today.
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Jeannette

Default Re: Welcome!!

Can it be that I found this message board by accident the day after you started it???

My husband and I will be taking Saone/Rhone cruise/tour April 30 of this year. We've been spoiled by three Renaissance cruises - still grieving over their demise! Would love to hear tips and critique from folks who have taken Viking cruises...
Old January 31st, 2002, 10:52 AM
First Mate

We are taking the Provence cruise out of Avignon on Mar 30. Going 3 days early to do the parts they miss on our own.

We were on 2 Ren cruises and were caught in the bankruptcy on our Dover- Lisbon cruise.

Hope the food is good but I have a hunch we will eat better on our own. Like to be wrong on that.

Thanks for starting discussion group.
Old February 4th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Bobbie(Lady Jag)

Hi everyone! We're looking into a Rhine River Cruise for July of 2003, since this July we'll be on the Adventure of the Sea.

We are thinking about going with Uniworld or General Tours. Does anyone have any information or experience about either one of these companies?

We thought we'd go with Uniworld, but the AAA travel agent really bashed them this morning and said General Tours was "the company" to go with. Is this what you all have heard?

Thanks for the help!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:00 AM
Beginner

My wife and I have also been on two previous Rennaisance Cruises and mourn their demise. We liked the small ship (have been on two other cruises (RCL and Carnival) and liked Ren the best. We liked Ren because we could explore on our own or take one of their tours. Most of the time we went on our own.

We are considering a Viking River Cruise but are concerned that we will feel a bit claustrophobic and "tied down" to their tours. We have not been able to obtain much information on the internet, other than rather "poofy" articles which praise too much. Any ideas on obtaining more info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2002, 10:37 AM
bernie S

Default Re: Re: Welcome!!

Hi:
We wnet on 3 Renaissance cruises before their demise; however, we did find a nice substitute for the small ship cruises: UNIWORLD! Last September, we took Uniworld's cruise from Chalon to Arles in the South of France.....it was a very satisfying experience. The crew was very courteous, all excursions were included in the price; the cabins were satsifactory; the food was good and the 120 passenegers were all very happy and satisfied. I would highly recommend that cruise line for river excursions. As a matter of fact, we are taking our second cruise with them, the Holland river cruise the first week in May. happy cruising........
Old April 4th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Gee, that's funny, AAA told us uniworld is good. and that's who we made arrangements with. It's tough to pick - I've seen good and bad about all cruise lines. Our decision was also based on picking the trip that went where we were really interested in going. Not many lines have cruises that also include a trip down the Moselle river which Uniworld included.

We're going in june and hopefully it will be a great trip!

Janice
Old April 4th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Welcome!!

Glad to hear you had a good experience on Uniworld. We're going in June. What ship will you be on? We'll be on the Swiss Pearl that goes from Amsterdam to Switzerland with a trip down Moselle river also.
Old April 5th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Bobbie(Lady Jag)

Janice - Would you please keep my e-mail address and let me know how your experience on the Swiss Pearl was when you get back? We're also considering that ship.

General Tours AND Uniworld offer a cruise on the Swiss Pearl, but General Tours is much more expensive. Like I said above, our AAA travel agent highly recommended General, but I've never heard of them and their brochure isn't very professional looking. We'd rather go with Uniworld. I'd love to hear about the ship itself, the cabin, the crew and the itinerary from someone who's actually done it.

Hope you have an incredibly wonderful experience!

Thanks!

Bobbie
Old April 7th, 2002, 03:05 PM
First Mate

TEST

Old April 12th, 2002, 06:05 PM
beachmom5

We are looking to book a 14 day cruise through Europe or Russia for late August early September of 2003.
If anyone can advise me on which to choose, ship, etc I would appreciate it.

Is it necessary to book through Uniworld or Grand Circle?

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Passenger

So, how did you like the Russia cruise?
We're taking a hard look at it for next year. . . it might be nice to have a less formal atmosphere.
Any suggestions? Complaints?
Would you use Viking again?
Thanks.
Old June 16th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Angus

We just booked May 18 2003 St. Petersburg to Moscow aboard the Kirov.

We too were Rennaissanse refugees. We found ourselves on a Windstar cruise this spring and were spoiled by the even smaller size ship (148 max passengers, 110 on our trip). The Kirov is larger than the Windstar, but we can deal.

A few years ago we took a cruise from Budapest to Passau, Germany along the Danube. It was on a small Rumanian Cruise line with ships even smaller than the Kirov, but similar in layout and form. All the passengers were German except for us. Cabins were quaint but clean and comfortable. Food was decent and service ws excellent. We had a blast. Based on our experience there, we expect we will like this line, with slightly larger ships (more than one restaraunt and lounge). It appears that the target clientelle is English speaking tourists, which could be good or bad .

What Intrigues us a lot is the itinerary. In the early eighties, during the Cold War, I had the opportunity to lead some college student tours through Eastern Europe and the old USSR, including Moscow and then Leningrad (St. Petersberg). They are magnificent cities alive with culture and rich history. I'm curious to see what the change is like, nevermind the western trappings (KFC, McDonalds, etc). I expect the countryside along the river to be largely unspolied and rich in local culture and history .

Also great is the price. We are booking one of the owner's suites and paying the same with air fare on Viking River as we did on a regular cabin on Windstar *without* air fare.
OK, so the Volga is no the Panama Canal, but it';s a vacation.

Angus
Old June 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I are booked on the Viking Pakhomov from Moscow to St. Petersburg - our first river cruise. Any feedback from former cruisers on this itinerary or this ship would be appreciated. Particularly -- what to pack! Thanks. Mimi
Old July 10th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Welcome!!

Bobbie,

Hi, don't have a lot of time to go into details about our trip except to say we had a wonderful time. As far as the Swiss Pearl, ship is the oldest in the Scylla Line, but still nice, clean. But... had engine problems that started on the trip before ours (was suppose to of gone into dry dock to get fixed.. before our trip started and didn''t) which then caused ship to cruise at a slower pace (ran on 2 engines instead of 3) and caused schedule to to be affected.

Now I heard from a passenger that this is the last season for Swiss Pearl. If true, they'll probably replace it with a new ship next year.

We were very satisfied with Uniworld and would use them again.

Will write more details later.

Janice
Old March 4th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bobbie,

So are you still going on cruise this July? Who with? Uniworld?

We were happy with Uniworld except for engine problems with ship.

Uniworld is no longer using this ship. Now have a newer one. Which looks a lot nicer and bigger than the one we used. Hopefully, crew, food is also good. In fact, seems they've started their own ship line.
Old April 17th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Default Welcome!!

Book Viking direct....comes well recommended.....leaving May3 for 2 weeks Amsterdam to Budapest....air included....methinks it is better and new ships then Uniworld
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:33 PM
jrogers345

Actually Uniworld has a few new ships this year. The trip we took last year - Amsterdam to Basel - is using a new ship. Not sure about the one you're taking.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

OUCH! You don't mean to bypass travel agents when you write "Book Viking direct...", do you?

Your favorite TA,
Shirley B
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:47 AM
Passenger

Default Viking....etc..

I was trying to emphasize Viking over Uniworld cruises, but I do not recommend NOT using a TA. I find that TA's can make the whole cruise experience much more user-friendly, while also offering much useful info from previous cruises that they have taken.
Old April 29th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Passenger

I'm planning on taking the same trip this Summer on Viking. Would you keep my e-mail,address and let me know the ins and outs when you return?
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Passenger

hi there! would love to "chat"/reminisce with you. as one who was close to the renaissance scene, this would be very welcomed.
thanks...hope to hear from you...reba
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Shirley B

Having been known as Ren's #1 fan, I'd be happy to chat with anyone who wants to reminisce about Renaissance!

Shirley B
shibin@aol.com